Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Predators, Thoughts?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Man View Post
    The idea is, they don't add anything positive to the gameplay, except fun for those playing it. And an OP mob that can freely roam and occasionally pick off marines.
    Not true. They bring variety to stale old boring xeno vs marine combat. Want to fight something that won't run away? Predators won't run away. Want to fight something that doesn't rely on stuns? Preds don't rely on stuns. Want to gain some cool gear? Preds are gear piniatas, you have to just whack them enough times for all the candies to fall out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Man View Post
    I feel like I am going to go out on a limb here, since the pred-mains are mostly replying here, but I'm against preds in their entirety, because they simply interfere with the round. You can argue balance, them being preds (wow), or even easier to kill than most benos. Or any other nitty-gritty. But I strongly feel the premise here is wrong. The idea is, they don't add anything positive to the gameplay, except fun for those playing it. And an OP mob that can freely roam and occasionally pick off marines.
    They aren’t op

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usnpeepoo View Post
    They aren’t op
    Predators are fine, they aren't OP
    ruoGqDy.jpg

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Vancleave View Post
    mfers dont realize its just a game and you dont die in real life if your female marine oc dies in game JUST SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do tho
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple solution would be to remove HPC/LPC and have it only accessible when preds get capped/items or corpses get taken on to the ship. A pred player should not have a stun/aoe damage of any form when hunting, the entire point of the hunt is to prove your skill. Having a instant pop grenade that has a 5 second AOE stun on it is not very skillful, and really just makes everyone and their brother know that if the pred gets in to trouble they will PC and run away, which honestly is dishonorable as shit, yet happens all the time. A handful of preds won't, but probably 75% of them, when they get surrounded, will instantly PC and run away while 8+ xenos are stunned w/ 0 counterplay.

Yautja Council Member Joe Lampost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BellyMaster View Post
    Simple solution would be to remove HPC/LPC and have it only accessible when preds get capped/items or corpses get taken on to the ship. A pred player should not have a stun/aoe damage of any form when hunting, the entire point of the hunt is to prove your skill. Having a instant pop grenade that has a 5 second AOE stun on it is not very skillful, and really just makes everyone and their brother know that if the pred gets in to trouble they will PC and run away, which honestly is dishonorable as shit, yet happens all the time. A handful of preds won't, but probably 75% of them, when they get surrounded, will instantly PC and run away while 8+ xenos are stunned w/ 0 counterplay.
    its almost like its the lethal plasma caster is restricted to dishonourable prey And cannot be used if the pred begins the fight on worthy prey. Predator is a WL for a reason bro. Anyone who miss uses the caster is punished. Being ganked by the hive and trapped in a corner after being screeched by the queen and the pred being not able to move is kinda you know not fun for preds and I 100% support the use of non-lethal plasma caster to escape a corner.

Also being a pred and actively killing them as both marine and xeno has proven to me that predators are not as hard to kill as most people think its just a skill iusse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

As a newer player, a big reason I don't interact with preds is a lack of understanding. They're spooky aliens who have great heals, super weapons, and a insta-stun that they'll only use if you break the "honor code". But, honor code is only on the forums, so how do I know what lines to cross? Not to mention they're whitelisted, so staff will favor them if they break the rules, and they've got to be some of the higher skilled players if I did want to duel them. Add in that they don't have a wiki page to compare armor/weapons, if they suffer dmg slowdown, resist stuns, or can have bones break, and its not worth the risk of a 1-2 hour timeout to try to get a fancy melee weapon that warriors would instastun me with anyway.

That said, I love the idea of a high skill player willing to 1v1 me in a safe enviroment, and is something I would seek out to try to learn the game a bit more! Especially if I knew how often preds threw you back to medics for defib. But is "fighting well" a matter of I didn't break honor and so get to continue my round in upmost shame, or I had him near crit and so he respects me. The former removes that timeout, and so removes a good chunk of the risk. The latter punishes me for the skill issue you guys keep mentioning, and promotes LRP by staring at preds who beat on my teammates.

TLDR: Give them a wiki page with weapon/armor stats and a basic rundown of what makes you dishonorable, and you make preds much more accessible for most players.
    Last edited by N1GHTSH4DE; 05-10-2022 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Some bald marines do, but they soon learn to Kanye stare at preds butchering their battle brothers and then treat them like statues when they die alongside their whole squad to HPC invisible pred.
    Xenos very rarely do, when in defence of some other xeno, but they soon learn pred will just run away like sonic and even if whole hive will gang up on him, he will SD so they gain nothing from fighting preds.

I don't know if you and other pred players would really want it. If preds were shoot and slash on sight, they would have to be super nerfed. While honorable pred is easy to kill, pred without honor rules and with traces of robustness is able to wipe out entire side alone.
    This right here. The mother fuckers move fast as hell, don't have an artificial attack delay on their weapons like marines do when attacking at close range, and they can shrug off bullshit damage like a dart from a nerf gun. Plus they have a tendency to run in between marines when they are butchering your friends so yeah enjoy all that FF that's gonna happen. Yeah ok I'll totally start shit with the OP class that someone is "RPing" as while they murder 5 fucking marines at once.

Also, Everyone on here saying yeah they should be treated as hostile at all times. Ok cool, look on that other thread poll about how first contact should be maintained and then come back on here. Ya'll want to be treated as an RP role when you feel like it and a hostile role when you feel like it. And that's part of my issue, you're RP when it suits you and a super fucking OP role when it suits you. You have zero fucks to give in regards to other players.

EG: I see a pred outside the FOB, ok cool I want to roleplay as I'm a Fobbit with nothing to do. I step out, address him as "SIR, YOU ARE IN A MILITARY OPERATIONAL ZONE, PLEASE VACATE THE PREMISES" He doesn't move I give him repeated warnings threaten to shoot etc all to nothing but silence. Clearly I'm trying to promote RP and he's not intimidated cause he knows he will win 95% of the time against any solo marine. Now what do you think happens if I shoot him outside of the cades? He murders me and drags me off. Ok knowing this should I then go back inside the cades and shoot him so he cannot fight me, talk about LRP... Is that what you want as a predator? This was a real situation that happened by the by. Pred outside FOB uncloaked just standing there I went with option 1 and got butchered. Ok cool, why do I try to RP with preds again?

You want RP? Ok when I wander into you murdering one of my marine buddies and I shoot first ask questions later like RP marines would and then you proceed to murder me and whoever helps who saw you doing that uncloaked and running straight for us with no subtlety is that not LRP? You know you can get away with the bullshit you do so you do it. You don't try to RP when it doesn't suit your needs, if you get caught doing something horrible to a marine and we walk up and start accosting you, how many of you straight face can say you cloak or fall back or try to recover your 'trophy' without arising suspicion or give us a warning that you are interrupting an honor bound duty of the victor. Ya'll want that RP when it comes to hanging up marines or cutting them into bits but give no fucks when it interrupts your gloating. How many of you skin marines and xenos right in front of their team and give zero fucks cause you know you are the role strong enough to do whatever the fuck you want.

The whole mindset of knowing as the other side not to shoot on sight is an oxymoron encouraged by mechanics. You know what is going to happen if you do and 95% of us can't do shit to stop it, so we don't, we stand there and let it happen. If you get caught skinning your prey as a pred that should be dishonorable and forfeit your trophy. But by all means tell me why you should be the brazen bullies of the battlefield unbound by the limitations of burdensome brevity.

TLDR: Preds suck and are smelly. my big words I use make me look smart and you dumb.
    Last edited by Santiago Delgado; 05-10-2022 at 11:58 PM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have nothing better to do, I can give you a quick rundown from the perspective of non-whitelisted player:

Quote Originally Posted by N1GHTSH4DE View Post
    As a newer player, a big reason I don't interact with preds is a lack of understanding. They're spooky aliens who have great heals, super weapons, and a insta-stun that they'll only use if you break the "honor code". But, honor code is only on the forums, so how do I know what lines to cross?
    As you can learn from the discussion in this thread, preds don't even use stuff when they are allowed if you "break" their honor code and become dishonorable, because something something holy spirit of the whitelist, father and son.
    In IC terms you do not know anything about them, so your character (be it marine, or xeno) doesn't know about crossing any lines. However as officialy stated by the staff and by the common "rule of a thumb" players are not expected (or forced) to RP in a way that harms their character. Example being xenos not knowing what OT max-cap nade is, but they are still allowed to run away from it to avoid getting damage, or marines (before the first contact rule removal) not knowing what xeno egg is, but not forced to get poke it with a stick, then smell and lick it.

There isn't much "lines" to cross when it comes to preds. Either they hunt you (you can do everything you can to kill them, while they are restricted), they duel you (they tell you if they want that), or they don't hunt you, in that case attacking them (if they aren't engaged with members of your team) means you are dishonorable and pred can do basically whatever, but not really, but yes in theory, but not exactly maybe sometimes depending on from which side of the world wind blows in Batman (city in Turkey), or if it is thrid monday of may during a leap year, all of that in the smell of teen spirit of whitelist.

Not to mention they're whitelisted, so staff will favor them if they break the rules, and they've got to be some of the higher skilled players if I did want to duel them.
    Staff won't favour them, because they literally can't do shit when it comes to whitelist issue. If something happens (involving preds/synths, rarely COs) and you ahelp that, admeme can only give you ckey of the pred and with that you have to make a report on this forum and then council of beetroot (which isn't composed of staffmembers, unless you count them as staffmembers, but they have no authority over anything else, but whitelists, unless someone is admeme and a councilmember).

The second part: Haha.
    Predators are infamous for being the least skilled players. The more "fancy" and "snowflake'y" the pred is, the less skill he posses. The same comes to the position they hold. Random bloodied pred might be pretty robust, but member of the council of ancients would lose to an assistant armed with grey jumpsuit, blue toolbox and a soap, even if allowed to use every piece of pred gear.

Add in that they don't have a wiki page to compare armor/weapons, if they suffer dmg slowdown, resist stuns, or can have bones break, and its not worth the risk of a 1-2 hour timeout to try to get a fancy melee weapon that warriors would instastun me with anyway.
    They don't suffer dmg slowdown as they are immune to pain and pain is the main reason of the slowdown. They don't resist stuns, but wake up super quick and they can't have their bones broken. They also resist out of fire super quick, their armor is pretty much max-capped (there are light and heavy variants, but you can safely assume 40-50 bullet armor on chest and maybe slightly less on feet and hands). It also decreases burn damage, so fire is no longer a reliable way to kill a pred, unless it gets directly flamed and then walks all 5 flame tiles in straight line.

Melee weapons usually will crit a marine in armor about 8 hits (more, or less, most likely less). Every ranged weapon (outside throwing combi-stick) will fuck a marine up in 2-4 hits (HPC will kill crit/almost crit you in one direct hit), but you won't have to deal with those unless you are dishonorable, but then back to the wind blow direction if pred will use them, or won't.
    Some preds might be "kind" enough to drop your body with 5 broken bones and IB to the nearest medic, who will have to deal with lurkers and runners, so it doesn't have to be 1/2 hour timeout. Instead half of hour of going back to the ship to get surgery.

That said, I love the idea of a high skill player willing to 1v1 me in a safe enviroment, and is something I would seek out to try to learn the game a bit more! Especially if I knew how often preds threw you back to medics for defib. But is "fighting well" a matter of I didn't break honor and so get to continue my round in upmost shame, or I had him near crit and so he respects me. The former removes that timeout, and so removes a good chunk of the risk. The latter punishes me for the skill issue you guys keep mentioning, and promotes LRP by staring at preds who beat on my teammates.
    As stated before, if you get thrown back to medics is directly dependant of wind blowing somewhere, or the phase of a moon during a pagan holiday. You can't break the honor code, the only thing you can do is to become dishonorable. You can't have pred near crit as preds can't be crited. They will run with -99 HP and then drop dead if receive one more HP damage.

If being thrown back to medics was mandatory, preds would become even bigger laughing stock than they already are by being a totall non-threat. The potential of perma-dying is what keeps it from being totally a clown show. And its not LRP to not shoot preds, even if they beat your teammates.

TLDR: Give them a wiki page with weapon/armor stats and a basic rundown of what makes you dishonorable, and you make preds much more accessible for most players.
    Super good armor, super powerfull weapons, shooting them first and LRPing makes you dishonorable. Preds won't be made more accessible for more players, because whats the point of super secret boys only club, when every shmuck can join?

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago Delgado View Post
    snip
    I do find it kinda funny when council of supposed "RP role" asks someone to shoot them on sight. One would imagine something along the lines: "Don't shoot us on sight! We want to RP!". Instead of "Shoot us on sight, its RP if we kill you!".
    Last edited by CABAL; 05-10-2022 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I'm doing this snip thing you did. Am i doing it right?
    Damn son you reply fast.