User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of FOBDOCS?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think we should make FOBmedical a thing.

27 45.76%
  • I think we are fine how we are.

8 13.56%
  • I think with changes on transit times top and back I would use shipmedical.

16 27.12%
  • I think shipside medical is fine but FOBdocs need to be barred.

8 13.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: time to talk about FOBDOCS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question time to talk about FOBDOCS

I feel like we are at a tipping point on CM, and there needs to be something changed gameplay wise one direction or the other to fix it.

we currently have either NO doctors at the FOB and barely anyone comes up, most people die in the field and the op is ended

or we have -all but 1- doc at the FOB and the Almayer -never- gets patients. MEDAPC also will steal 99% of patients too.

We are at a tipping point where shipside medical barely has a place anymore, where the rounds are too fast for marines to justify coming topside for 2 primary reasons

1, you gotta get all the way to the Alamo (or unreliably hope on medvac which nobody does) (if LZ1) then are at the mercy of the pilot or worse the un-upgraded autopilot ds THEN get surgery

2, then you gotta go down, again at the mercy of the LZ pilot, and you then have to run to the front. Alternatively rappel but not many Normandy POs take that.

Thus if we want to encourage shipside medical, we need to address these issues in some form or another. First of all we'd have to bar planetside surgery, otherwise any changes here literally wouldn't matter. 1. Isn't that bad, having medvac beds that charge over 30 seconds then the Almayer hooks the patient up into medbay could work there. But getting back down is something I haven't thought of a solution.

If we want to just convert to FOBmedical plenty of people have thought of the prefab medical tent idea, slap one down as a 2x3 and inside is a 5x6 surgical beds and maybe a small chem machine but it's permanent. If this was done you leave the Almayer's autodocs to become fully automatic I'd say.

Tell me, which do you prefer? Do you have solutions?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day marines would literally rather die than return to get surgery. It takes far too long. And now with surgery so easy, no one does it.

If I was in charge I'd make two changes..

1.change it so only bone damage can be healed groundside, and remove IA from the game.

Marines would have to return to the ship for eye, brain, organ, and larva surgeries. Giving medical a reason to exist. It's goofy that we are doing open heart surgery on people on a beach, on a table, and they are at peak health again.

2. Then I would change it so that medical had a small room with the medivac machine in it and call it a "drone". So the doctors and nurses pick up medievacs "via drone".

It's the long wait time for the evac (if it's even running and who does medical evac these days) then the ride up, the the ride to medical. Reduce it JUST to the ride back down and many more would pack evacs and use them (and give there a reason for the medical comms to exist).
    Felix the Synth: hat fanatic, nice robot, one time double agent almayer synth executed for sedition. Occasional murderous mopbot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. No, getting eye/brain damage is just awful, and planetside the sources of it would be head damage/tricord OD, either is already awful, no need to punish folks even more for it. Would also just encourage xenos targeting head even more since helmet has medium-armor tier protection anyway. MedAPC also only has ONE surgery bed, and then you need to find where ever the fuck the APC drove into, which could be anywhere outside caves. Not to mention its lack of limb printer.

2. Most injuries happen inside caves, medevac is unusable inside caves, folks would rather continue fighting at a fucked state than walk all the way out of caves and hope there's a medic with a stretcher around and there's a flyby to pick them up.
    Just the part of walking out of the caves is already what folks are reluctant to go with.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally make Fulton and medical evac one system, merging them together. Maybe even allowing rapelling to it. As useful as they are, they're not engaging for POs so it's not something they'll likely choose despite how useful they are.

I'd remove medical APC, instead adding a medical tents or prefabs which can be setup at the LZ to allow doctors to setup at LZ with more equipment.

This would still allow shipside medical to exist but it would solve a number of issues.

It'd make APCs revolve around transporting equipment, marines and the WIA/KIA. This would make life for ambush castes harder, while removing the really unusual placement of APC as funny block machine and removing the chance of one of the few doctors perishing because funny ram went bad.

It'd make defending the FOB more important, Itd be a more important target for harassment castes as if marines to defend their field hospital/FOB, they could lose a big chunk of doctors.

I'd make gameplay more consistent and entertaining for doctors, while giving marines the potential for a more consistent medical experience (no more screaming for medical APCs location, just head to the FOB or do a medevac stretcher)

Dumbing down medical however with removing stuff like brain damage is, if I'm honest, an very shortsighted move. I found myself moving away from medical roles when they removed stuff like combat amputations or the ability to revive decaps if you were extremely fast and skilled enough. Dumbing down a role will cause a negative feedback loop which will further make doctors more rare.

I'd also probably speed up infections for unnested to make it more of a threat, as people generally ignore it, enjoying the new found stun immunity, and if they don't end the op before bursting, you often get an afk larva so it's not really a big drawback.(autojoin as larva pls add popup prompt to confirm not afk pls)

With these ideas, you'd have to examine how shipside medical would operate but as it is now, it's a skeleton crew already,
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    I'd remove medical APC, instead adding a medical tents or prefabs which can be setup at the LZ to allow doctors to setup at LZ with more equipment.

This would still allow shipside medical to exist but it would solve a number of issues.

It'd make APCs revolve around transporting equipment, marines and the WIA/KIA. This would make life for ambush castes harder, while removing the really unusual placement of APC as funny block machine and removing the chance of one of the few doctors perishing because funny ram went bad.

It'd make defending the FOB more important, Itd be a more important target for harassment castes as if marines to defend their field hospital/FOB, they could lose a big chunk of doctors.
    I have an idea floating around my head. A merge of those medical tents and old T-Comms. A special place (like old T-Comms was) where setting up surgery is somehow very beneficial, like this is the only way outside Ship you can remove larvae and generally it is superior to roller bed on Shiva Snowball during blizzard. A bit away from LZ, but still fairly close (just like old T-comms were). Another target for benos to attack and generally disrupt, while worth holding by marines, but not necessary (unlike old T-Comms).
    Add a way to evacuate it other than on foot trough map (special medevac/fulton) akin to small "lifeboats" or escape pods, so that when benos decide to storm it super hard, or they took LZ, you can still run away one marine after one, maybe someone is left behind to keep xenos busy and hold cades to buy some time.

This way all the doctors can go down planetside without very high chance of dying. Make autodocs on Almayer truly "auto", so if a wounded marine wants healing, he can himself just jump inside and wait a bit to get healed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Remove MedAPC
    -Remove the extra autodoc in Medbay
    -Make medbay smaller since its fuckhuge
    -Make MTs be able to
    Construct operating tables
    Construct chem machines
    Make their own turf so they can make APCs for the makeshift hospitals. Like making an operating room etc.
    -Return necrosis. Scanning the turf for dirty things every operation step by the doc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parts of medical are just weird. Like cryo, it's just completely unused now. But FOB docs are fun and at least add to Bravo for something to interact with. Definitely no way people are willing to go up with how long it takes right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gutting Groundside medical is never gonna make shipside better, since the general marine opinion is 'I'd rather go on and die than deal with medical'
    The only exceptions are missing limb and larva. When a marine is under their own power, they'd rather pop Peri like mints and risk the heartbreak, or fight on with 9 broken limbs.

Even with FOB doctors, MedAPC and your friendly neighborhood Synthetic gamer, there's still a lot of times where people will ignore that because they don't want to miss even the smallest bit of combat.
    Hell, I've had people push themselves off my operating table, ribs still gaping open.

I think this is overall a playerbase attitude rather than a mechanical issue. Short of a button that instantly returns you to the Almayer, I don't know what you could do.
    A lonesome cowboy, a chilled out broski, or an executive intern.

The Medals Folder:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly love the idea of FOB medical but for a different reason. There's something about seeing a nice, segregated FOB that warms my cockles and having an area dedicated to medical personnel that could be cordoned off with like wooden cades would add to the aesthetic appeal to me, maybe even give me a reason to lug those inflatable walls down on the DS. Instead of having someone do medical procedures surrounded by ammo boxes I'd much rather wake up surrounded by medical equipment in a neat lil hut or prefab building. It would just look fancy to me, nothing to do with mechanics here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kill groundside medical, if you desperately need surgery the synth is available for it if you have one. The medapc promotes laziness and hyper competition for doctors, and the fob doctors make the shipside ones entirely irrelevant. If some marines would rather die than get their injuries fixed then so be it. Recovery of wounded and dead should be made easier to facilitate it not taking you out of the entire round by going up to medical, especially since rappelling is an option. You should not balance medical based on what a relatively small group of PFCs view as “worth their time” but what’s better for the game, and shipside medical is where medical belongs, not as close to the front as server rules allow at the time.
    Synth Gaming