Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank idea

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rank idea

I have a lovely idea for how to handle people new to the game, or wanting a new RP experience: fluff ranks, for each rank, there could be a mostly cosmetic difference in the rank above and below each role, to denote a veteran or new player respectively, there wouldn't be any mechanical differences or changes in access/supply (except maybe restricting things that could easily grief or FF like quick clot for medics and hefa grenades for boots). Playing a role for the first time you would have the option to denote yourself as a junior member of that role (usually one rank class down, not enough to seriously matter) to show both players and staff you are inexperienced in that role and to potentially expect fuck ups (or if you just wanted to rp as "the new guy") or as one class higher to denote experience playing that role so that newer players could look to you for help, and for the higher ranks that actually matter, whenever the issue of the chain of command comes into effect, people who have the veteran fluff rank could be the first pick among multiples of the same role. I'm not sure how you would acquire the veteran fluff rank for any role (time requirement, staff vouch, etc.) but it would need to be some way that nobody could become one from the first few times playing, I'm thinking maybe 10 hours as that role or equivalent (like head of staff/ai roles in vanilla servers).

The fluff ranks would have to be a very slight increase or decrease in rank to avoid feeling like it makes you superior/inferior to others, and to avoid assholes from always pulling rank on new players and making them do shit "because i said so"

lemme know what you think, I know I didnt format this at all, I just had it as a spur of the moment idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For example

New: Private
    Vet: PFC

Is that what you're getting at, or am I misunderstanding?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WittyUsername816 View Post
    For example

Sure seems like it, so it would go a little like this:

PFC to Private

LCPL to PFC

Corporal to LCPL

Sergeant to Corporal

Staff Sergeant to Sergeant and so on.

Sounds like it'd be somewhat confusing for people, although a nice indicator on who to help out or be wary of. Not sure if it'd work though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WittyUsername816 View Post
    For example

I think that is exactly what she is saying. Nothing to much of a change but it allows others to understand what you are trying to say with this title. However with your example of Private and PFC I don�t think squad ranks maybe other than SL would require a special title to show seniority or showing that this is your first time. And maybe other ranks like MT won�t require stuff like that because the job is self explanatory and there is a CE already there to hold that title as in my eyes CE is just a glorified title for an MT. But other jobs like CTs, MPs, SO, and XOs could definitely benefit from this should it ever be added.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad we aren't roman legionaires you could just have a fancy purple plume on your helmet to show you are more awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was having thoughts of the same sort, except instead of having the rank be automatic, you just select the rank for each job for even more fluffiness.

Of course, this approach could lead to problems with everybody picking the highest, but marines can RP and build characters, right? Right?
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is even a need to change rankings around as we have a wiki that says rankings on it.

https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Rank

Ever don't know your ranks. Keep the website open.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what they mean is players that are new to a role get a rank below what it is now, "veterans" that are more experienced with the role might get a rank above, and everyone else gets the current one.

For instance, SL would be Sergeant (new), Staff Sergeant (regular), and Sergeant First Class (veteran). This works for most roles... except for POs and IOs (who start as Ensigns, and therefore can't go a rank lower and still be officers), anyone ranked LCDR (due to the fact that the "veteran" rank would make them the same rank as the XO, which staff have made clear they're against), XOs (again, the veteran rank would make them the same rank as standard COs, while the "new" rank would make them the same rank as the CMP, CE, and RO), and COs (same as XO, but the veteran rank would make them Commodores, which is reserved exclusively for the Commander Council), so it wouldn't work for any officer rank except SO.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. SL's will be less likely to delegate to noobs because they will be able to see their ranks. That way the veterans and regulars can handle important tasks while the newer players are still learning the basics.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have entertained similar ideas here and there, and while I think it's cool I don't know if it'd really be possible from a development perspective. I don't know how ranks are coded in relation to IDs, or if it'd be possible to change someone's rank (because I think giving out promotions would be really cool).

But one idea I thought was interesting was distributing rank based off of playtime (with a hint of randomness); for example, take a squad. The SL will always be a SSGT - however, the other squad ranks (one SGT, one CPL, LCPL ranks, etc) are distributed regardless of role. So you might have a LCPL spec, and a SGT combat medic hypothetically. You could probably extrapolate it to enlisted support roles/tank crewman/whatever else. Obviously this would be impossible to do for officers due to potential chain-of-command conflicts.

I think there's probably better ways the current rank system could be worked on, but it would be something cool to see, I agree.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.