Simon Bobrovski
    Their BYOND Key
    mrdadman
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    1:20PM CST ish
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Preserve the RP and enjoyment of the server
    Description of the incident
    As an MP, during the briefing, I was asked by marines to clear the briefing "bubble" area as it's off limits and there were marines there. After they all got pulled out (with help from the XO) - there was a JTAC radio headset on the ground there. As it is a restricted area, and not wanting to mark a bunch of marines for disorderly conduct and make a big fuss over it, I decided to RP the situation, and use spirit of the law to confiscate the headset, and tell the marine who is missing it to come find it at the brig.

Handling it this way in my mind served two purposes - it was less severe than arresting the marine, or the whole gaggle of marines that were sleeping almost invisibly behind the table/glass in the bubble, and it also was a good RP opportunity with the misbehaving marine.

Immediately after getting to the brig, I notified the CMP of what happened and asked for advice on if it was okay - they said to return the headset to the marine.

The marine came to the waiting area, and I (without fuss or any RP) just gave him the headset.

Those are the things that happened in-game. There was also a discussion happening outside the game with an admin who was probably ahelped - but he was just repeatedly telling me what I was doing was stealing. I also, the whole time, told them I would give the headset back to the marine.

On one hand - I went through the normal in-game RP for "Spirit of the Law", and the admin telling me that it was stealing also overruled the spirit of the law - but what I'm getting at here is that I was following the spirit of the law and playing it out in-game. Once overruled by the CMP (and the admin, who I'm treating as HC here), I gave it back and apologized. I don't understand why I need to get a warning and in-game note for playing something out through RP - and honestly not knowing (or agreeing) that taking an unsecured, unpossessed radio headset in a restricted area as an MP is considered THEFT.

Even though the marine kept saying hey thats my headset - I was taking the unsecured headset from a RESTRICTED area, and NOT arresting him. The admin told me that I was preventing him from deploying by taking the headset - OF COURSE. But so is arresting him right? And jailing him? That would prevent him from deploying, and probably for longer than coming and having to ask for his headset back for 10 seconds when he was the one who was actually breaking the law, delaying the breifing (and game, and deployment), and refusing to follow lawful orders.

I feel that this should have been kept in-game as in-game RP, and maybe a fax from HC could have come in if the CMP didn't make the ruling they had done already in-game, etc.

I was trying to be an MP here - a good RPer.

The admin here made a note that I don't think is fair considering it maybe should have and could have been an in-game resolution, and when they did make a note they didn't give the context of the radio being in a RESTRICTED area - they mark it as if the radio was left in a common area or that the marine had a right to it (which, if in a restricted area, he does not). It was also dropped during a crime which he states in the note - which you'd think the marine himself and everything on him is subject to being my possession now as an MP. Being a criminal and all... It just doesnt show the full picture, makes me look bad, and is also, in my opinion, wrong.
    Evidence
    Warned for breaking Marine Law as MP. A marine was trespassing during briefing, and marine lost their headset. MP decided to confiscate the headset and tell him he needed to come to brig to get it back instead of returning it when asked by the marine. by mrdadman (TrialModerator) on 2022-05-22 15:30:33
    What resolution are you seeking?
    Would like the note removed, purely based on it being Spirit of the Law, and was resolvable in-game (and was) by HC and CMP overruling the spirit of the law applied. It also leaves out a detail that skews the incident against me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm MrDadMan, the TrialMod that handled your case. I was watching your situation at the briefing the entire time. I saw your situation and received multiple ahelps about it, and a developer was there to witness it.. About your regard to it being an IC issue, MPs are OOCly bound to follow Marine Law. Your role is to maintain structure and integrity within the ship.

I digress; you were at briefing to help the XO get marines out of the command's seating bubble. One of the marines dropped the headset while you were doing this, and you decided to confiscate the headset and told the marine to go back to brig to get it back. What was wrong with the situation was that when I pmed you to investigate your reasoning, you told me you were keeping it as "evidence". When I asked about what justified the evidence, you said it was trespassing. The issue there, which I clarified, was that you did not have a crime backing up the requirement for evidence nor was what you took directly related to the crime. You did not arrest nor NJP the marine for trespassing, but you took their headset. This was blatant stealing, as you delayed their round by forcing them to come to brig to retrieve their headset with no punishment attached. That's why your "evidence collection" was overruled as theft.

You knew what you were doing: the marine immediately told you that it was his headset and you proceeded to run off from him trying to get your attention after telling him he needed to get it back from Brig. I don't see what the need is for the evidence when you were going to give it back to him when he came to brig for it, as evidence isn't returned in general at all. Regardless, this was clearly ML breaking. Any case, I do wish for you to have a good day! Good luck!
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some Logs:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Conversation:

22/05/22: [15:20:03]SAY: Simon Bobrovski [1]: Delta spec (CKEY: TwoJoints) (JOB: Military Police)
    2022/05/22: [15:20:04]SAY: Simon Bobrovski [1]: I think (CKEY: TwoJoints) (JOB: Military Police)
    2022/05/22: [15:20:31]SAY: Simon Bobrovski [1]: Come and get it from the brig. (CKEY: TwoJoints) (JOB: Military Police)
    2022/05/22: [15:21:46]SAY: Simon Bobrovski [Command]: Confiscated an Echo headset from the briefing disturbance. It can be retrieved from the brig. (CKEY: TwoJoints)

Further logs will have to be pulled by another staff member, something came up at the time of me doing things (real life obligation)
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logs will be posted within 24 - 72 hours.
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logs for the incident

Pulled Logs, A Verdict from an Admin or Above will be issued
    We thank you for your patience.

Date of Incident
    May 22, 2022

Your BYOND Key
    TwoJoints

Your Character Name?
    Simon Bobrovski

Their BYOND Key
    mrdadman

TwoJoints Mentioning to come get the headset mentioned

Spoiler Spoiler:

TwoJointsasking if it is illegal to put the headset into evidence and explaining why he grabbed it

Spoiler Spoiler:

TwoJoints Mentioning to come get the headset mentioned again

Spoiler Spoiler:

Arguing with anothe MP and telling him to reconsider the role

Spoiler Spoiler:

TwoJoints Mentioned the CMP said to give it back

Spoiler Spoiler:

Orginal Ahelp

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ahelp logs

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes this is true and never denied any of this - I knew what I was doing but there are things you're saying here that don't really line up.

I confiscated the headset in lieu of doing all the arresting - this was to help the op go smoother, not to delay it, can you we acknowledge this part?

The headset is directly related to a crime, because it was left there by a marine who was disrupting the briefing, trespassing into the bubble, etc. So that headset literally was there only because of a crime, and I confiscated it as evidence to that.
    This falls into the Spirit of the Law which I was talking about originally - and when the CMP corrected me, I gave the headset back.

I was going to give them the headset, but I had to mark them and offer an NJP or the like first - but I ALSO had to take the situation to the CMP to get their opinion, which I did IMMEDIATELY.

The marine telling me it was their headset has nothing to do with me trying to complete my job though - I don't have time to shift-click mark the guy, type out everything to you, type everything to the CMP, and type everything to all the ECHO marines ganging up on me. When I sit there typing, they HISTORICALLY gang up on me, disarm me, strip me naked, kidnamp me to the surface, etc.

SO I RAN TO SAFETY before stopping to TYPE things out so the chads can take advantage of me.

Please don't break this down into something super simple without looking at my side or the complications - it happens too fast for you to know every single one of my intentions, and you did NOT let the situation play out in character.

I followed marine law - the spirit of the law speicifically - and this should have been played out IC.

Let's be honest -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you say I delayed the round - can you consider that arresting that marine would have delayed his deployment much longer? Or for that matter - if I followed marine law each of them would be marked for arrest, and I'd be throwing flashbangs around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnclearDoctorMain View Post
    Hi, I'm MrDadMan, the TrialMod that handled your case. I was watching your situation at the briefing the entire time. I saw your situation and received multiple ahelps about it, and a developer was there to witness it.. About your regard to it being an IC issue, MPs are OOCly bound to follow Marine Law. Your role is to maintain structure and integrity within the ship.
    Were you a player at the time or an admin? Because I didn't see you on staffwho before or after the event, I had to scroll to find your name. I ask b ecause, if you were a player at the time, how did you receive ahelps, etc.? Were you one of the echos? Are you good friends with those involved (not me of course)? Just wondering.

MPs are OOCly bound to follow marine law - true, but we also have IC systems (called NoDs) for when a cop might accidently break a law. Such as in this case, I was upholding the law, and accidently broke a reg (maybe, being super generous here) which woudl land me a NoD. This is not a "omg that mp made a mistake, so this means he intentionally broke the law". the SPIRIT of the MPs having to follow law is that they dont go unga cause issues or grief, etc. I was not griefing, going unga, or delaying (I've explained already that delaying would have been doing things BY THE BOOK).

I was trying to make the game go smoothly here without it exploding into half the marines being wanted. I REALLY hope admins can understand this thinking, and give me the benefit of the doubt that I wasn't breaking ML.

I was not breaking the law by taking an item off the floor in a restricted area, and I'm certainly not stealing for taking that to the MPs office to get clarification.

JUST BECAUSE i told the marine to come get it from the brig, doesn't mean that I wasn't giving it back or stealing - I was on my way to the brig for protection and to get advice from the CMP.

MPs break laws all the time - and we don't MEAN to - and that's why we have in-game ways of taking care of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would this logic hold up if I were to leave the JTAC radio there locked away in the bubble where the marine could NOT get to it?

He has to get the XO or an MP to go over and get it for him - which DELAYS the round much more than him just coming to the brig?

Or really, I suppose, he may have just ahelped to get what he wanted.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heretic stop rapid fire replying, logs were posted, wait for manager decision.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids