User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire too punishing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire too punishing?

Despite tuning back the amount of damage fire does overtime, is it still somewhat too punishing? If you get set on fire by fire, even welding fuel, it feels like you can easily loose 60-80% of your health as something beefy like a warrior if you don't put it out at all. And that it takes at least 20-40% of your health to travel 20 tiles to get somewhere safe to resist. IF you get caught at like 40% hp by a flame, it's almost a death sentence. You have to run back, hope you don't get chased and take a single bullet, and usually arrive in crit by your fellow xenos that have to put you out before you die, at which point it becomes a dice roll. Not to mention trying to drag xenos off who go in crit off weeds, and don't have the regen mutator because boiler/crusher/lurker, and other castes with useful keystones.

On top of that, the resist stun is extremely long, from 4-6 seconds depending on wether the rng timer likes you or not. This just gives marines a huge amount of time to punish a xeno trying to rest off flames if they're being agressive, if they haven't gone into hardcrit from the burn already.

At least praetorians/boilers can be impromtu fire extinguishers now, but I still feel like it's a niche benefit, as you need praetorians or boilers nearby to begin with.

Sure, fire should make chasing xenos easier, but it's simply too easy to apply with how xenos have to get close to do damage. The redeeming factor being that it can be used against marines, and marines love to set one another on fire. But burn damage is still easily treated if a medic brings the ol keloderm. And the RNG definitely needs to be toned down. Resisting, even when not succesful, should at least reduce the amount of fire stacks currently affecting said beno. It's also less of an issue for xenos that can regenerate off weeds, but more punishing on maps where weeds aren't abundant due to terrain, and castes that can't realistically take off-weed healing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fire damage is based on total fire stacks.

Resisting does in fact lower fire stacks.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant remember if it was before or after they lowered the damage, but I was an elder lurker and I got hit by blue flame 1 time, didnt run through any tiles of it and couldnt make it 20 tiles to water before I crit. Does that sound balanced?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flame is in tricky spot. In one hand, if flame won't punish benos enough, they will tank and ignore it, while dragging marines into. If it will be too punishing, then it will be OP.
    I think it's close to perfection. Right now, as beno, you have to consider flame as threat, so that you can't dance on top of it.
    You won't die to napalm/welder fuel flame if you are full health, but you will be harmed enough to immediately seek shelter.
    I think that buffing speed of xeno on fire might solve this problem.

Marines that won't be extinguished by water die anyway, so it's greater deal for them too. Even without husking, fire can stack dmg to the point of 400+ where no advanced burn kit will help.

Current solution is to never engage marines with flamers alone. Other benos can extinguish you real quick.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need to bring back husking if they think its fair for xenos to just straight die to fire. Marines should be punished too.

Whitelisted Synthetic themaskedman2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flame can be memey at times and way too reliable at killing Xenos BUT, it also blocks marine pushes, and it can be put out with acid spray, so I think fire isn't that big of a deal to be honest.

There are bigger issues than fire imo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Husking should be a thing, no idea why they removed it.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea?

Literally a Boiler Glob could PERMA you on less that a second, husking removal was pretty needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think fire is punishing enough. Though it's better now than it was just a few weeks ago where xeno players would casually stroll through fire like it's nothing. Personal opinion but if a xeno is set on fire below 20% of hp it SHOULD die; gg no re. Only chance is getting into water or a bunch of other xenos helping put you out.

For the most part, fire is just not something you REALLY have to worry about right now. Worry a little, but not enough in proportion to what it seems like fire should be to xenos.

Seems fire's been buffed more than I thought it was. It actually feels almost exactly like I wanted:
    In my ideal version of balance, being on fire means GTFO OR DIE. You should have a few seconds to get out of that fight to put yourself out, and if you can't manage that, too bad.

Maybe a little weaker than I'd like, but in a good place now.
    Last edited by Boersgard; 03-03-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i think fire is in a good place right now, i remember before some changes xeno's just ignored fire and kept figthing, now they actually back off like they are meant to because fire can be dangerous once again, especially if its the spec's blue flames.