0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damous - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Damous

What is your discord username and handle?
    Damous#2529

What is your timezone in UTC?
    GMT -3

Player Name You Use Most?
    Joe Gage

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    None that im aware.

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    No

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    Used to play a lot of CE, RO and CMP back in the days, though right now im mostly playing XO and SL.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    152 Hours.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    231 Hours.

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    He wanted to see how far his military career would take him before retirement.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Through long years of service and an almost spotless Military Record in the Corps.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    [TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; START

...-"Tive Officer Joe Gage, everything seems to be in order for you promotion but theres a few odd things i want to inquiry you about, which is the reason of our meeting in the first place"-

The Lieutenant Admiral snuffed put out his cigarette before placing a new on his mouth and lighting it with a swift motion. He continued -"Joined the force in [REDACTED] August 2148 at the age of 18 to avoid jail, was incarcerated in the Youth Detention Center of [REDACTED] at labour colony [REDACTED], for piracy... What drove you to piracy?"-.

-"Hunger"- responded Joe Gage. The Admiral was quiet for a moment -"Hmm, i see... why did you enlist?"-

-"The slogan sir, "Server YOUR time with the USCM"- Gage answered quickly with a smile on his face. -"Then you are lucky there even was a enlistment center there"- the Admiral quickly rebuked with clear signs of discontent.

-"What can you tell me about Hadley's Hope?"- he asked. "Not much, i was a sergeant by then and i only saw the smoldering crater, ship debrees and destroyed vess..." -"There was such a thing as destroyed vessels or debree in the the official report"- said the admiral, correcting Gages misinformation.

-"Then i saw nothing"-

The Admiral continues -"After OCS at age of 25, you took leave and did not come back to the force for 2 years why is that?"-

Gage responds "I wanted to have some free tim..."- The admiral interrupts him -"Cut the crap Officer"-

-"I worked as a instructor"- Gage answers. "To whom?"- asked the Admiral

Gage -"[REDACTED]

-"I do not like the sound of that...Officer Gage"-

The Admiral Adds -"Your career from this point on has been surprisingly unremarkable, but not without its merit, as you wear your decorations in full view.... Theres also a few quelling of revolvs, odd deployments here and there and your average ascension through the ranks"-

-"Anyway, this concludes our session, be aware that there will be another meeting before the brass can promote you"- Said the Admiral while a telephone rings on the background.

-"As long there are no more nuances, your promotion should go smoothly"- concluded the Admiral -"someone, GET ME THAT DAMN PHONE"-

[TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; PAUSE

RECORDED AND ARCHIVED BY USCM HISTORIAN AND ARCHIVIST JACK [REDACTED]. 217X

[TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; START

"...seem to know alot of people, dont you Officer Gage?. We will be keeping a close eye on you from this point on"- The Lieutenant Admiral lights himself another cigarette -"- the telephone is still ringing in the background.

[TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; END

RE-EDITED AND ARCHIVED BY USCM HISTORIAN AND ARCHIVIST JACK [REDACTED]. 218X

Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    When his contribution to the flow of the round is substantial or his expertise is unmatched. It will also depend on the nuances of the marine law.

Few examples:

Example 1: The only VC for the medAPC charged with NOD for 15 minutes.

Example 2: During low pop, my only Command Staff (XO or SO) gets arrested for intoxication and theft.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    When the situation demands at clear sign of authority.

Example 1: During briefing at the hangar, a Bravo Marine started shooting the Alpha Smart Gunner or one of your officers in the presence of the CO. The Bravo Marine may be BOd as long as the CO is assured no other third party will be harmed.

Example 2: Ship personnel or marine is arrested for 3 major crimes and gets permanently brigged, attempted and tried escape permabrig one or more times.

Example 3: During deployment via alamo at 12:20, Delta SLs refuses to obey your direct orders to deploy via normandy as it was stated in briefing, and throws insults at you in front of everybody, incentivizing other marines to do the same, creating a very clear threat to the command structure.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon examples look fine to me, though I'd judge on a personal basis that having an intoxicated XO/SO is not worth the effort since their sluggish speech can be confusing and incomprehensible anyway.

First BE example is fine. Second is a lot more context-dependent. If they escape brig, then that means MPs are present and likely chasing them. If you find them and they start assaulting or attacking you, kill them, but otherwise non-lethals to try and go for a regular execution. Third example is in a similar light. Undermining your authority by insulting you and disregarding direct orders can definitely be grounds for a BE but it depends on how far and vile a person goes. Not to mention that this is an OOC issue, not IC, since SLs are OOCly required to follow Command's orders if they aren't outright suicidal. Consider ahelping to be sure.

Story is... eh, ok I suppose. It's run of the mill, which it seems was the flavour of your character as well, which is a shame. On top of that, you demonstrate the classic "PFC to CO" folly which is one of the few red flags one can show in a CO story, since that's not really how ranks work. NORMALLY you can try and make it work via the conversations, about battle honours and such that led to big promotions, but since your character specifically had a "unremarkable service record", this is kinda outruled. He enlisted, but it's never ever mentioned when and how they managed to commission, or why. You also use naval ranks, and also *false* ranks at that, since Lieutenant Admiral was never a rank, so I dunno where you got that from.

On to the more personal part of this:

I know Damous from several rounds I've played or observed with them as XO or SO. They are without a doubt competent at their job, but have a tendency to tunnel vision, to be a bit too slow on announces, or sometimes just forget(?) to delegate as you are supposed to. Furthermore, and this has to be one of my main critiques, I do not trust Joe Gage to be able or willing (Im unsure which it is) to be able to uphold this Whitelist's RP standards.

When I hear Joe Gage XO, then I'm thinking of a person who leads and ONLY leads, being not at all prone to roleplay but just deciding to lead. YES, leading is a INTEGRAL part of being an officer, let alone the COMMANDING officer, but the Whitelist is meant to serve as an example to all Marines on a HEAVY ROLEPLAY basis. If you cannot come up with rp on the fly to engage people with our atmosphere and setting, then in my eyes you are not CO material. Your story which is lackluster and essentially just a dull PFC to CO "well he's just an average guy" kind of reflects this very mentality and playstyle of yours, as well, in my opinion.

I had to BE you once as my XO and I have not seen any markable improvements personally. Maybe others have and can give you that feedback here after me, but I haven't, so in conclusion I must drop my -1 here, unfortunately.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im gonna be honest, if i have a CIC full of Staff, at least 2 SOs helping me, i will RP as much as i like. Its been long since the day i liked this game because of its TDM aspects, which most players seem to be at, but i dont, i like talking to other staff, especially the CL and CE, and also the reason i like playing XO so much, i get to talk with almost everyone in the game, comment on their moments of greatest glory and shame during the round.

I play mostly at 8 am (GMT-4) and 9pm (GMT-4), which means i found myself a lot of times solo in the CIC, past two rounds i played were a testament to that, its was mostly me and maybe a single SO.

Also the LT Admiral (originally lieutenant of the admiralty) rank is a very old rank in the british navy, so just up and used it for flavour because it sounds cool.

Whitelisted Predator johnravioli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everytime Joe Gage has been my XO, he has been excellent. I am confident that he would be a great edition to the already big list of great COs. Here is my +1
    Harry Howard,
    Predator - Clan Leader Atuudh Bo'ytill
    Leader of the Bo'ytill Clan

Professional Mateba GunSlingah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay questionnaire time (this is for you Walz, you owe me):

1. You wake up late from cryo to find the operation is being entirely run by the CL who paid the XO to let him do it, you have no idea where the XO is and staff think it’s just an IC issue. How do you fix it, if you think you should?

2. Charlie’s SL got arrested and now all of Charlie squad is refusing to deploy until he’s released, if necessary by force. The CMP is just going to gas them and flash bang them then arrest the entirety of Charlie squad for desertion or NOD he can’t decide. What do you do here?

3. It’s later on into the round and you decide it’s time to deploy, you equip your protag gun and armor, gather your MP meat shields, and land. To your horror the FOB is a disaster, the engineers have siphoned most of the cades off to make hundreds of metal bats that they’re using as poker chips. The bravo SL is no where to be seen, and no one is particularly interested in your arrival. What’s your course of action here, if any?

4. Your XO turned AA off because, “Kids are cruel CO, and I’m in touch with my inner child. Survival of the fittest, you know?” And now the drop ship is crashing into the Almayer, how do you proceed?

5. Why should we trust you to uphold the standards of the CO during a time that the CO standards are supposed to be increasing?
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the 4 most important values every marine and officer needs to hold up as a proud member of the USCM?
    Aden Cooper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a few More:

1: You late join, and the CMP is accusing the XO of NOD and interference for not managing the Appeals or sending anyone to do it for him. (there is full shipside staff awake at this time) How do you deal with this

2: An MT has hidden a coffin the CIC bubble and keeps popping out and trying to steal any officer present's shoes

3. https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...445&height=401 You arrive at FOB and find this fucking joy of a FOB, and Bravo lead nowhere to be seen (you have full staff)

4. Low pop Brief turns into a beat down and nobody is paying attention... you can see some people getting violent beyond just fists and chairs. (There are no MPs)

5. Pilot launches during your brief because you according to him "didnt give a launch time and its getting late" now what

6. What places would you consider a good or fun room to hold Brief in and why?

7. The CMP has arrested 3 of your specs and a Com-Tech for DTGP DASO, and tresspass, Claiming that they broke into medbay and tried to steal a vendor two of them claim that the charges are false and that the CMP is being a shitter. This is Pre First drop. Will you be pardoning any them?

8. You decide to board the Alamo on first drop and deploy. While in transit a marine tries to steal your boots. How do you react?

9. An SO deploys and when they return you find them later wearing the Schoolgirl Uniform instead of their service uni. What do you do?

10. What sort of character am I supposed to get from you on an RP level? A brash asshole? a Daring brave hero who cares about his troops? Some tired vet done with everyone's shit? an uptight rules man? Etc.

11. A junior officer accuses you of breaking SOP for wearing one of your primary Weapons(SG/M46c) in CIC on green are they correct?

From what i've seen of you, you seem functionally fine, its more the fine details im curious about, and your character... well as a character

I do find your story meh, and your use of the older choice for navy ranks... questionable, but if I can see more of a character in game I don't see it as much of an issue since its more of a literacy test, and fluff in other people's eyes.
    Last edited by 4hands44; 06-10-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Major James Blackbriar of the USCM & W-Y Joint Colonial Operations vessel; USS Black Gold of 502nd Engineering Corps 2nd Division 3rd Fleet 3rd Division 15th Bat. "The Mudskippers"

Passport
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c4xmaniac View Post
    Okay questionnaire time (this is for you Walz, you owe me):

1. You wake up late from cryo to find the operation is being entirely run by the CL who paid the XO to let him do it, you have no idea where the XO is and staff think it’s just an IC issue. How do you fix it, if you think you should?

2. Charlie’s SL got arrested and now all of Charlie squad is refusing to deploy until he’s released, if necessary by force. The CMP is just going to gas them and flash bang them then arrest the entirety of Charlie squad for desertion or NOD he can’t decide. What do you do here?

3. It’s later on into the round and you decide it’s time to deploy, you equip your protag gun and armor, gather your MP meat shields, and land. To your horror the FOB is a disaster, the engineers have siphoned most of the cades off to make hundreds of metal bats that they’re using as poker chips. The bravo SL is no where to be seen, and no one is particularly interested in your arrival. What’s your course of action here, if any?

4. Your XO turned AA off because, “Kids are cruel CO, and I’m in touch with my inner child. Survival of the fittest, you know?” And now the drop ship is crashing into the Almayer, how do you proceed?

5. Why should we trust you to uphold the standards of the CO during a time that the CO standards are supposed to be increasing?
    1. Since most of the blame falls under the XO, i would order his subsequent arrest under the grounds of NOD and Failure to follow Procedure. As for the CL, i've gotten into trouble before for ordering too much of a harsh punishment (i got bwoinked for it), i would first order is detention then fax HC... I could also banish him or her from the ship.

2. This is a hard one.... I would first ask the CMP and MP staff on what grounds was Charlie SL arrest for, then review a possible course of action, i would still order the the DS to launch given the time. Charlie SL could easily be pardoned for for minor and major crimes and the whole situation could be fixed with the greatest of ease. Though for capital crimes such as attempeted murder or insanity, there will be no easy way to remedy the situation, i would set aSL, order whatever loyals of charlie onto the DS and order the arrest of the rest of the trouble makers.

3. I would stay on the FOB obviously, order my MP retinue to arrest the responsible comtechs (if possible) for the waste of materials on grounds of NOD and Insanity (CMO will help with this one, but if not present, this will have to be ignored). Then i would ask CE or his Staff to deploy and help remedy the situation on the FOB.

4. Order his subsequent arrest under the grounds of insanity.

5. I will follow the code of conduct, which is something i've been trying to get a hang of it for the past two months, there were many hic ups, and admin staff were quick to rebuke me on it, something that i remember quite well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Critilius View Post
    What are the 4 most important values every marine and officer needs to hold up as a proud member of the USCM?
    1. Professionalism

2. Duties

3. Honour

4. Comradery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4hands44 View Post
    Got a few More:

1: You late join, and the CMP is accusing the XO of NOD and interference for not managing the Appeals or sending anyone to do it for him. (there is full shipside staff awake at this time) How do you deal with this

2: An MT has hidden a coffin the CIC bubble and keeps popping out and trying to steal any officer present's shoes

3. https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...445&height=401 You arrive at FOB and find this fucking joy of a FOB, and Bravo lead nowhere to be seen (you have full staff)

4. Low pop Brief turns into a beat down and nobody is paying attention... you can see some people getting violent beyond just fists and chairs. (There are no MPs)

5. Pilot launches during your brief because you according to him "didnt give a launch time and its getting late" now what

6. What places would you consider a good or fun room to hold Brief in and why?

7. The CMP has arrested 3 of your specs and a Com-Tech for DTGP DASO, and tresspass, Claiming that they broke into medbay and tried to steal a vendor two of them claim that the charges are false and that the CMP is being a shitter. This is Pre First drop. Will you be pardoning any them?

8. You decide to board the Alamo on first drop and deploy. While in transit a marine tries to steal your boots. How do you react?

9. An SO deploys and when they return you find them later wearing the Schoolgirl Uniform instead of their service uni. What do you do?

10. What sort of character am I supposed to get from you on an RP level? A brash asshole? a Daring brave hero who cares about his troops? Some tired vet done with everyone's shit? an uptight rules man? Etc.

11. A junior officer accuses you of breaking SOP for wearing one of your primary Weapons(SG/M46c) in CIC on green are they correct?

From what i've seen of you, you seem functionally fine, its more the fine details im curious about, and your character... well as a character

I do find your story meh, and your use of the older choice for navy ranks... questionable, but if I can see more of a character in game I don't see it as much of an issue since its more of a literacy test, and fluff in other people's eyes.
    1. I would first analyse the grounds for the accusations and the actual status of the situation, as an XO player i know how hellish comms chatter can be, and he or she could have easily missed and the situation can be easily fixed with a sharp tongue. But if he purposefully ignored the Appeals, then theres nothing that can be done outside of watching his arrest, Faxes would also be sent to HC for some additional insight on the situation.

2. I would first be cool and ask for his immediate vacation from CIC, failing to do so would land in a nice time in brig for Insub and DASO.

3. It would heavily depend on the actual state of the round, if marines are just hunting of the a few xenos left, then theres nothing to worry about. But if there still active combat with a full hive, i would order Bravo squad to fall back to FOB (if any are alive), Announce that FOB is completely deserted and ask for help from CE and his staff to remedy the situation for the time being. I would obviously stay in the FOB until the situation is resolved.

4. If its in the briefing room, i would first ask for order before pressing the flash button and if didn't solve the situation, i delay briefing for a few minutes and arrest personally the most violent instigator. In hangar, i would order everyone to FOB duty (new orders can be uploaded after that) before arresting the most violent person, considering theres no staff on the ship, the situation is extremely hard to solve, knowing the nature of the game.

5. I would order his or her arrest for NOD, Announce that everyone is on FOB duty, then reupload new orders via annoucement after the rest of the marines deploy.

6. First place would be CIC, the presence of only SLs and RTOs would garantee that orders are heard by NCOs and passed down the ranks, giving a clear sight on what needs to be done and followed. Second would be the Gym, it would give a great opportunity for marines to prove their might on the ring, given that the briefing would be alot more convoluted, but also more fun. Third would be the Church, and do some religious roleplay, tell them that they are blessed by the lord and that no men or daemon can touch them before giving out the orders, i actually did this one during low pop once and it was fun as all hell.

7. I would first ask for physical proof and witnesses, pardon those who did not commit any crimes, order those who did to fix what they broke (at MPs discretion) and pardon the DASO and and Tresspass. It will also heavily depend on the actual severy of their crimes, and some of those with obvious ill nature will not get any pardons. Depending on the time the actual event is happening the Operation would still continue with or without them.

8. Just disarm/push and verbal warning.

9. Immediately order them to follow the uniform regulations and to fix their attire.

10. Joe Gage is a brash officer, who expects things to be done and orders to be followed, but he is also a understanding man who has at least some level of insight on the nature of the situation when given. Hes not a hero nor villain, a brave man while leading and also a coward when no one is looking, full of honour but a dirty bastard when out of sight of those who can judge him.

11. Outside of deployment, he would be 100% correct, all officers should abide by SOP and green code restrictions and that includes the CO.

But yes, i've been trying to work on a actual personality for my character for while a while, 4 months ago Joe Gage went though a bunch of phases, including the undying hero, the platonic sergeant who did not care for anything besides following orders, a retard, ex con, and before that he was pretty much barren. I quite like the journey my character has went though, and the personality i thought out for him, something concrete, something people will expect the next time they talk to him.
    Last edited by Damous; 06-11-2022 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Typo