0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TKM - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    TKM

What is your discord username and handle?
    TKM#6163

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+9

Player Name You Use Most?
    Horatio Gonzalez

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    None

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    No

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    Very

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    Because he was a natural born leader, able to bring out the best in others

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Nepotism

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Cmdr. Spreckles sat in his command chair, up high he was able to survey the entirety of the bridge. He glanced at a blank screen in front of him. Then he glanced at his left armrest and his brow furrowed ominously. He slowly cocked his head to observe the right armrest and immediately threw both hands in the air.

"WHERES THE DAMN REMOTE!" he shouted at no one in particular.

His gruff voice cut through the cacophony of beeping electronics and the chatter of command staff issuing orders to the marines planet side. One of the maintenance techs assigned to clean the room chuckled softly and slowly exited out of the room.

The Commander withdrew from his seat and got on all fours, searching underneath. As his head bobbed around frantically, he only found a pristine metallic floor, not even a speck of dust. He got back into his seat and pressed a nearby button on the armrest.

The entirety of the CIC flinched when the horns went off to sound the announcement to the ship.

"Men, we have a thief on board!" the commander's voice rang through every speaker on the ship at the maximum volume.

"God DAMN it Rod! We're all right next to you!" one of the executive officers spat.

"You're only supposed to use that channel in an emergency!" another said.

"I cannot think of a situation more emerging than this right here!" Spreckles said as he pressed another button.

The CIC crew shook their heads and got back to work. On one of the XOs monitors, Cmdr. Spreckles could see real time footage of Bravo squad getting torn apart by some insectoid creature. However, there were more pressing matters at hand. He sat idly waiting, running an old leathery hand through his silver hair until two military policemen arrived through the door, panting.

"Capt.. We.. Cameasfast as.... we.. could!" one huffed.

"Yeah... What's... the code red?" the other puffed.

"Gentlemen, the code red is that there is a thief on board this ship! Until he is caught and my precious remote is in its rightful place I am declaring Martian law!"

One of the XO's cocked his head away from his station, and looked towards the commander. "Don't you mean martial law?" he said exasperated.

Cmdr. Spreckles got out of his chair and walked over to the XO who just requisitioned one backhanded slap to the face. "Ow!" he shrieked.

"I am enforcing the sacred law of the Red Planet!"

The doors opened again, and the Chief Medical Officer stepped into the room with a look of panic. "Sir, I have distressing news! Some marines are returning to the ship with some sort of parasite attached to their" before she could finish, the Commander stepped forward.

"Under Martian law doctors and other wizards are forbidden!" He shouted.

"Wha-"

The Commander walked forward and withdrew the stun baton from the holster of one of the policemen.

"Kneel!" he commanded. As he did, the two policemen knelt. He raised the stun baton up high and gently touched each of their shoulders. "I dub thee, Sir Deimos, and you, Sir Phobos! Rise, knights of the Red Planet and take this heretic out of my sight!"

Another alarm blared, followed by a monotone robotic voice.

"EMERGENCY. MULTIPLE UNIDENTIFIED LIFE FORMS ON THE SHIP."

"Shit!" The CMO screamed.

Cmdr. Spreckles struck a dramatic pose, extended his arm regally and pointed towards the door with his stun baton.

"Knights of Mars, your first quest is to slay the demons!" he bellowed.

--USCM, 6/13/2142 -- USS DINGLEBERRY BLACK BOX RECORDING ENDED.

DOSSIER: Rod "Slip n' Slide" Spreckles

Historical Notes: The amount of casualties on the Dingleberry will not be forgotten. It was an unfortunate coincidence that after enacting "Martian Law" a xenomorph infestation was beginning to take place. After the doctors were jailed for "wizardry", Commander Spreckles ordered the destruction of all sorcerous weapons, replacing M41As and Smartguns for bows and spears. Before the cameras cut out, a final stand could be seen of ten crewmembers armed with makeshift spears, assuming a phalanx position using folding chairs as shields led by none other than Rod "Slip n' Slide" Spreckles. The Commander's remote was later found on the corpse of a maintenance technician bearing the nametag C. Steamer, who was posthumously dishonorably discharged. All bodies on board were accounted for, except for that of Rod Spreckles.

Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    I believe all prisoners have the right to be pardoned, that is, if they can make it through the gauntlet. I will have the maintenance technicians, requisitions officers, and researchers set up traps throughout the briefing room. If they make it out with all limbs attached they have earned their pardon.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    I believe if someone goes out of their way to endanger the mission or others, they are a threat to everyone and must be put down.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes
    Last edited by TKM; 06-14-2022 at 03:30 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is epic. -1.

You have soul but you need the time, do not try and lie, we’re all aware you do not have 30 hours of XO. I would be surprised if you had 30 hours total of play time. You are still confused by mechanics like swapping hands (x button btw). Also your story has nothing to do with the Aliens franchise. This is not the normal SS13 setting, we’re in 2182 in the Aliens franchise, hence why it’s called Colonial Marines SS13.

Get the play time, ask in the #whitelist-help channel on the discord and have the council talk to you about your app prior to submitting it. I hope you keep grinding XO because you seem very enthusiastic and that’s something the CO WL needs tbh, but you need to put the effort in first.
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Story is a joke and doesn't actually feature your character effectively leading the Marines. Instead, you made a story about them declaring "Martian Law" and acting as an insane person (which, in-game, would be a Guidelines violation that you could lose your Whitelist over). You also use naval ranks such as Commander which we haven't used for months.

2. Your Pardon answer is hilariously bad (although based). You have no actual idea what a pardon is by the looks of things and I dare not ask you any ML-related questions.

3. BE answer is far too vague. If someone is "a threat" or "endangers others" then you may still be able to tackle them in another way. If MPs are present, have them try to arrest the person. If you're in their direct vicinity a BE may be applicable, but you're describing this far too vaguely and liberally.

4. You came into the #Whitelist-App-Help Discord channel as a newly certified user, whose discord account was also just newly created. You also told everyone you were not using a static name up until 3 people told you you should be doing so. CO, much more than any of the other 2 whitelists, is a VERY Community-centric whitelist. You are the Major, the Leader, whom people are subordinate to and your ability to lead ultimately depends on if people trust and know you. People have no idea who the actual hell you are, and neither do I, and you seem to be completely new to the community at large.

5. You said in the same discord channel that you were finding it "difficult and annoying to switch hands" among other things. You also said you had "a few" hours as XO. As a CO you must be 100% comfortable with SS13s controls and must AT LEAST have 30 hours as XO. Until someone comes in here and reveals your actual playtimes (I cant check), I won't know if you're lying, but given what you said in public, I'm ASSUMING your 30 hour count stated here is, in fact, a lie and that you have nowhere near that amount. I already warned you on Discord to withdraw this app and inform people here that you lied about your hours, or risk consequences from the Council, so if you decide not to do so and wait for the Council's conclusion, that's on you.

-1 obviously. You need a lot more time to get ready for this.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilPenpusher View Post
    1. Story is a joke and doesn't actually feature your character effectively leading the Marines. Instead, you made a story about them declaring "Martian Law" and acting as an insane person (which, in-game, would be a Guidelines violation that you could lose your Whitelist over). You also use naval ranks such as Commander which we haven't used for months.

2. Your Pardon answer is hilariously bad (although based). You have no actual idea what a pardon is by the looks of things and I dare not ask you any ML-related questions.

3. BE answer is far too vague. If someone is "a threat" or "endangers others" then you may still be able to tackle them in another way. If MPs are present, have them try to arrest the person. If you're in their direct vicinity a BE may be applicable, but you're describing this far too vaguely and liberally.

4. You came into the #Whitelist-App-Help Discord channel as a newly certified user, whose discord account was also just newly created. You also told everyone you were not using a static name up until 3 people told you you should be doing so. CO, much more than any of the other 2 whitelists, is a VERY Community-centric whitelist. You are the Major, the Leader, whom people are subordinate to and your ability to lead ultimately depends on if people trust and know you. People have no idea who the actual hell you are, and neither do I, and you seem to be completely new to the community at large.

5. You said in the same discord channel that you were finding it "difficult and annoying to switch hands" among other things. You also said you had "a few" hours as XO. As a CO you must be 100% comfortable with SS13s controls and must AT LEAST have 30 hours as XO. Until someone comes in here and reveals your actual playtimes (I cant check), I won't know if you're lying, but given what you said in public, I'm ASSUMING your 30 hour count stated here is, in fact, a lie and that you have nowhere near that amount. I already warned you on Discord to withdraw this app and inform people here that you lied about your hours, or risk consequences from the Council, so if you decide not to do so and wait for the Council's conclusion, that's on you.

-1 obviously. You need a lot more time to get ready for this.
    I appreciate all of the feedback!

For #2, I feel as though it is a fair system to pardon people, and everyone would have the same chance.

For #3, I should've clarified that I would only BE a player when there are no other options available to restrain them and they are actively endangering the mission (ex. a medic running around ODing everyone intentionally, after being told to stop multiple times)

One comment to add. As commander I assume total authority over the Almayer. I think it would add to the roleplay of a round if I commanded a maintenance tech to do a makeover in the CIC and turn it into a radio station. I could then host a talk show using announcements and all the marines could listen in.
    Last edited by TKM; 06-14-2022 at 04:30 AM.

Commanding Officer Council Member Superreallycoolguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, I'm a CO councilor and I just wanna first off say: that the other CO players are right, lying isn't gonna get anywhere nor impress us since we do actually check in-game hours. Your forums account as well as discord are very new.

You got the soul for it, take the time to put the hours in, get known, and always ask for assistance when you think things may be unclear or you just want advice with your application (that's why the council exists). Getting the CO WL isn't an impossible task, just one that takes effort. I suggest looking back at previous apps to see what they look like, reading some stories, and some feedback comments. At the end of the day, it's not about how fast you try to apply, it's about taking the time to perfect your application to make sure it hits all requirements so you can know that you'll succeed!.

But yes, I do suggest withdrawing this application, I'll even pop in some links you can "study" with to help you if you wanna keep going:
    https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Standard_Operating_Procedure

https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Marine_Law

https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Commanding_...ode_of_Conduct

Good luck in your future endeavors!
    I Play Karl 'Ausbruch' Walz
    CO Council Member, Discord Is Dargus#4831, DM Your CO Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This story is Based as fuck, and I loved reading it. but sadly isnt fitting for the setting we're in, and you clearly are not even remotely close to be ready on a mechanical level with the game for this position.

If you wanna ask me CO or CM-SS13 related questions you can DM me on Discord @ 4hands44#8965 or look for me ingame

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you in character, and all the wacky and wild adventures that await you. And I hope this doesn't discourage you and I get to see your "real" app in the near future.

Major James Blackbriar of the USCM & W-Y Joint Colonial Operations vessel; USS Black Gold of 502nd Engineering Corps 2nd Division 3rd Fleet 3rd Division 15th Bat. "The Mudskippers"

Passport
    Spoiler Spoiler:

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't appreciate people lying to get a whitelist. Take the advice you have been given, and try again when you have enough hours.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001