User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community Discussion about Development Changelog March/2019

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what I'll say about the strains as a Marine, I feel the strains need unique sprites on the xeno mobs so we can see exactly what it is we're about to b?e? ?k?i?l?l?e?d? ?b?y? face.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    For what I'll say about the strains as a Marine, I feel the strains need unique sprites on the xeno mobs so we can see exactly what it is we're about to b?e? ?k?i?l?l?e?d? ?b?y? face.
    xenos cant tell what attachments marines have. Xenos cant tell what ammo someone has loaded whether its ap or slugs/buckshot/flechette.

Welcome to not being able to metagame what a xeno does with no IC knowledge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, but the critical difference is a Shotgun is still a Shotgun, slug or buckshot, stock or barrel charger. The attachments on a firearm don't alter its properties in massive enough ways to alter how the gun performs, a specific attachment on a Shotgun does not turn it into a rapid fire auto fire gun designed for medium range combat.

The new strains do conduct a major change in how that xeno plays and how it fights.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, but the critical difference is a Shotgun is still a Shotgun, slug or buckshot, stock or barrel charger. The attachments on a firearm don't alter its properties in massive enough ways to alter how the gun performs, a specific attachment on a Shotgun does not turn it into a rapid fire auto fire gun designed for medium range combat.

The new strains do conduct a major change in how that xeno plays and how it fights.
    Um having slug or buckshot is completely different in how you engage a guy with a shotgun. Having a mag harness completely changes a tactic like knocking them down and keeping them away from their gun. Not knowing if they have a BC can get a normally tank xeno like a crusher killed. There are all sorts of little things like that that make a huge difference when you don't know whats coming.

If you really want a comparison thats exactly like xenos then masterkey shotgun, underbarrel grenade launcher, and whatever the mini flamer thing is called are exactly the same as not know if a spitter is gonna acid spray you or spit at you. You cant know any of those 3 are even on the gun until they hit you. They literally change a m41 into a flamerthrower/grenade launcher/shotgun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree. In a ideal world attachments should show up on guns for the MOB sprite.

Nevertheless, my opinion is that irrespective of how it works for Marines, xeno strains should still have some kind of MOB sprite tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree. In a ideal world attachments should show up on guns for the MOB sprite.

Nevertheless, my opinion is that irrespective of how it works for Marines, xeno strains should still have some kind of MOB sprite tell.
    I agree with this. Sadly it's pretty much impossible to convey attachments on the current held/wielded weapon sprites because of their extremely low pixel count. You would have to design new ones from scratch, I think, and they'd look massive compared to marines.

I think it could be done by just recolouring some parts of xeno sprites rather than changing the designs. Vomit spitter could have their yellow bits turn a greener colour, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, I managed to get 3 rounds of xeno in a row, and managed to play 3 different castes with a sidegrade. This is how I think of it:

Healer Drones are pretty decent, but also very dangerous to play as. If you aren't careful and accidentally Multi-heal someone, it is possible to put yourself into a coma. I found this out the hard way, heh. But other than the constant danger of dying to blood loss, this strain is very useful, allowing drones to partake in combat meaningfully and not get in the way of the real fighters. You ask me, this is THE strain to get as a drone, once combat starts and the hive defenses are set.

Egg-laying carriers are also pretty useful in their own way. They might lose the ability to Store facehuggers, but in return, you get the power to lay eggs at will, anywhere and anytime (after cooldown, of course). You'll never outpace the queen, and you won't carry as much as a carrier who picked the ability to carry more eggs and huggers, but in situations where the queen is deovied, you can pretty much take care of yourself. If you have a fellow carrier, you can even support each other! Very useful ability in my opinion.

And lastly, Harrassing Runners. In my opinion, this Strain is so good that it makes runner FUN... Too fun, in fact. The ability to slash with every pounce makes hit and run stupidly easy to the point that you can probably do as much damage as a lurker, and Sadars will end up trying to blow you up because you become as dangerous as a ravager. It is clearly OP at the time, but at the very least, it makes being a runner less crappy now. I imagine a nerf will come to this one soon, no doubt.

I look forward to getting a chance to play with the other strains in time. I'm very curious about the new Rail Gun strain the boilers have. I heard one boiler took out a tank with it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The L41A made me of all people play marine. Fun to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, runners suck again, now that the harasser strain was removed.

Was nice to try it for a round while it lasted. Guess it is back to struggling to hit things at high speeds while marines also move at high speeds, making it a bitch to click on anything.

On the other hand, though, Healers got megabuffed, and now you don't risk dying of blood loss after healing someone two times in a row. Dandy~

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renomaki View Post
    Welp, runners suck again, now that the harasser strain was removed.

Was nice to try it for a round while it lasted. Guess it is back to struggling to hit things at high speeds while marines also move at high speeds, making it a bitch to click on anything.

On the other hand, though, Healers got megabuffed, and now you don't risk dying of blood loss after healing someone two times in a row. Dandy~
    if they would just buff runners tackle by a slight amount then runners would be perfect. Good players can still do work with runners. Harasser was OP as fuck and allowed shitty players to dominate.