User Tag List

Thread: Forcefully increasing RP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forcefully increasing RP

So last day I was digging up some sandbags and with the latest auto-digging feature, I not only didn't had to destroy my sanity and fingers, but also had some time to chit-chat. Inadvertedly this caused some nice RP moment with my fellow diggers which later during the round ended up with a cool partnership before we got out ass whopped by xenos.

So I was thinking, what other things could be implemented, where you are "forced" to stand still for 1-2 minutes while you do something useful, but it's not overpowered. Things like:

- soldiers could clean weapon for 30 seconds, making your first 5 shots 100% accurate. Use the currently useless cleaning oil.

- engineers polishing cades, making them reflect 1 spitter acid. Same way as with sandbags, they should be able to polish 3 at the time so the DOT won't 'stick' to it.

- medics could move around their batteries to get some defib charge, or organize their bag for a little extra random medicine in one of the bottles.

So instead of pinging people for LRP, why not give them something to do while they are waiting and they have literally nothing else to do...just talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihaveanidea View Post
    - engineers polishing cades, making them reflect 1 spitter acid. Same way as with sandbags, they should be able to polish 3 at the time so the DOT won't 'stick' to it.
    If engies have time to do that, they have time to do something better. Like cade walls, put barbed wire on cades, fix cades, scavenge for mats, clear vines, clear walls in wrong places, or just guard cades.
    Also acid not sticking to cades isn't super useful. You can just spray a cade with an extinguisher to remove spitter globs.

- medics could move around their batteries to get some defib charge, or organize their bag for a little extra random medicine in one of the bottles.
    As above. They have better shit to do. Medics are even more busy.
    Also seems a bit too gamey to me, as well as not impactful and boring.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigil View Post
    If engies have time to do that, they have time to do something better. Like cade walls, put barbed wire on cades, fix cades, scavenge for mats, clear vines, clear walls in wrong places, or just guard cades.
    Also acid not sticking to cades isn't super useful. You can just spray a cade with an extinguisher to remove spitter globs.

As above. They have better shit to do. Medics are even more busy.
    Also seems a bit too gamey to me, as well as not impactful and boring.
    I disagree. If you have time to fight, why are you arrested for starting a fight with a delta? If you can focus on PBing enemies why are you RPing with your battle buddy? If you could organize supply drop, why are you talking with CL about the ransom?

You are confused here. Out of the 60 minute deployment GOD FORBID you have to talk even 10 seconds according to you. This topic comes up again and again. We got mute NPCs solo killing 15 enemies and RPers playing the game and talking. You are saying here just shut up, do zero RP and do your job. All right than.

Edit: also yes, I'm playing for 5 years thank you for explaining game mechanics. Reflecting 1 spitter acid is exactly what I wanted. Not make it OP. Should we do also 30 bullets for 100% accuracy?

Eh Fuck rp. Just mute rush young queen with synth and let them salt in dchat I guess. Damn this sever went downhill in terms of RP. Giving some ideas here and straight up this bloke refusing. Nice.
    Last edited by Ihaveanidea2; 06-24-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want ground roles to roleplay just bring back old paincrit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihaveanidea2 View Post
    I disagree. If you have time to fight, why are you arrested for starting a fight with a delta? If you can focus on PBing enemies why are you RPing with your battle buddy? If you could organize supply drop, why are you talking with CL about the ransom?

You are confused here. Out of the 60 minute deployment GOD FORBID you have to talk even 10 seconds according to you. This topic comes up again and again. We got mute NPCs solo killing 15 enemies and RPers playing the game and talking. You are saying here just shut up, do zero RP and do your job. All right than.
    Guess I didn't phrase that in the best way. I meant that adding busywork won't really improve anything, not that RP is bad.
    Engies are already swamped with work, and having to spend time polishing cades/whatever else just means that after they're mostly done fortifying the FOB, they'll have to keep running around doing pointless crap. Considering the time it takes to properly build an FOB, as well as the not insignificant chance that an engie has to do it alone, they might not even get that far.

The time spent doing busywork won't magically make more RP happen. Might even do the opposite, because instead of talking to someone or engaging in a side project, the engie would have to run all over the FOB. Sure, doing this would be optional, but a lot of players would feel pressured to do it, because it would have a gameplay benefit.

Trying to force RP won't work. It can help to have more opportunities for it, but it still entirely relies on the players actually engaging with each other. A good thing to have more RP would be stuff like fishing. A mess sergeant deciding to do a groundside kitchen. Stuff like that. Fun side projects the players willingly engage in. Not loads of time spent on gaining tiny gameplay benefits.

Edit: Out of curiosity, why make two separate alts for this thread?
    Last edited by Sigil; 06-25-2022 at 10:48 AM.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those ideas sound a bit tedious, and would force to feel obligated to do them because of the bonuses they provide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devs don't care about rp, son

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah im gonna have to disagree on the original post. The suggestions posted seem to be HRP instead of MRP. It seems overly tedious with very little beneficial outcome for RP or IG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RP is a pretty big benefit to me as a player!
    But, things like this will sadly either be seen as required busywork for "THAT SLIGHT TDM EDGE YEEEEAH" or an unused mechanic.

The awful truth is the majority of players do not care for roleplay. Look at how many players can't even follow basic Marine law.