0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MorrowWolf - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    MorrowWolf

What is your discord username and handle?
    Morrow#1453

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-05

Player Name You Use Most?
    Rickard 'Lost' Boar

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    I have never been banned.

Withdrawn mentor app: //showthrea...or-Application

Denied synth app: //showthrea...ic-Application

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    No.

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I am very familiar with both XO and CE.

I have played only a bit of the other heads but know their roles and duties through playing their subordinate roles.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    I have about 60 hours of XO.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    I have about 35 hours of SL.

If it matters, I have spent quite a bit of time as aSL with 75 hours in RTO.

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    My CO knows nothing else. He has lived the corps life for as long as he remembers and loves waking up to lead the fighting servicemen and women of the corps.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    He barely made the cut. The corps is a lifestyle for him. He isn't intensely career focused or into politics. That's not to say he's laissez-faire nor unprofessional, my CO lives the spirit of the USCMC but isn't overly driven for promotion.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Background:
    Rickard Boar was born to two USCM enlisted personnel. They were never married and Boar was given to an orphanage as a baby. Upon reaching school age he was sent to a military boarding school and then attended a naval academy to get commissioned. His time wasn't very eventful and he graduated middle of the pack. Boar sometimes jokes that he's a son of the USCMC.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    I personally believe that the spirit of marine law walks side by side with the accomplishment of the mission (and OOC: the protection of the enjoyment of players to a degree). I would only pardon if the brigged party is non-malicious in nature and unlikely to do it again.

Example #1: an RTO or SL hacks an engineering equipment vendor and takes tools for use in the operation. While this is an ML break, the intent was non-malicious, in line with the mission, and unlikely to recur.

Example #2: a very new nurse accidentally blows themself and someone else up with a potassium/water mix while learning chems. While technically manslaughter the intent was non-malicious and unlikely to recur.

For some examples of what I would not pardon (keeping in mind I cannot pardon capital crimes or someone I have previously pardoned).

Example #1: Someone being a general pain during briefing. Whether it’s hitting others with chairs or picking fights with MPs or stealing megaphones. At this point, they knew what they were getting into.

Example #2: Pretty much any time someone is getting a neglect of duty charge. If they weren’t doing their job before I have a hard time believing my pardon would encourage them to get back to business.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    Battlefield executions are an incredible responsibility and I would like to start by saying I can't see myself using them often.

Example #1: Someone trying to kill me or a fellow marine.

Example #2: Someone threatening the integrity of my ship. To be specific, an attempt to destroy or incapacitate the ship in its entirety. Destroying a wall or two would not amount to this.

Example #3: An individual actively calling for a mutiny and they are garnering serious attention. While calling for mutiny and undermining command is valid for a BE, I personally would prefer to let MPs handle the situation if the threat isn't emergent.

Again, battlefield executions are a tool for COs and a powerful one. Depending on circumstances, it can be more effective to use a ball peen hammer than a sledgehammer.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can vouch for this player's experience, they are quite competent.
    I've seen them most as CE and ASL/SL. Also a good chunk of hours in CMP, req and command.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get a fax from High Command asking about the operation. What do you do?
    ================================================== =======
    A) Orbitally Bombard the FOB B)Execute the Captain C)Concentrate fire on SECTOR C-17 D)Call Bill Carson

Choose Carefully
    Aden Cooper

Maintainer Project Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Critilius View Post
    You get a fax from High Command asking about the operation. What do you do?
    ================================================== =======
    A) Orbitally Bombard the FOB B)Execute the Captain C)Concentrate fire on SECTOR C-17 D)Call Bill Carson

Choose Carefully
    Well first I'd read the fax but I think I can confidently answer without knowing the contents.

Since there's no explicit "or" here I'm going to go with the spicy answer: A, B, C, and D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a marine who is confident and commits to the full extent of his capabilities in the heat of battle able to make radical decisions under pressure, good luck in your application Captain +1
    Aden Cooper

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOOD DAY
    You are manning the CIC with an XO and two SO's. One SO has fucked off without even saying hello and proceeded to die and go DNR 10 minutes into deployment, and in mourning, the XO fires off an OB into the FOB and then joins an MT gang with the sole purpose of dismantling the brig to install pizza palace. Your military police tried to stop them, but they forgot they had flashes and used their tasers on each other during some friendly fire as they failed to stop MTs and are now welded into lockers. What do you do?
    Last edited by Aces; 06-24-2022 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, le pop quiz has arrived.

1) You wake up and the XO, SOs, CE, every doctor and researcher, all the POs, the CMO, and the CMP are no where to be seen. You get 20 people screaming at you on comms immediately that every single officer onboard has been arrested for NoD and some other various charge for not completing an appeal on a delta pfc. No one is in command of the operation, and the marines are routing out of the caves on BR right now. What is your plan?

2) You deploy groundside, personally begin directing your forces, and the xenos who were beating the marines are starting to be pushed back. Just then, your CMP informs you that the XO is being arrested for FTFP for wearing a school girl outfit, resisting arrest for fleeing the MPs, and attempted murder for trying to kill the CMP when he arrived to arrest him. What do you do?

3) A marine master keys his way into CIC mid operation, walks up, and PBs an SO saying, "Fuck you butter bars, you got me killed." What is your reaction?

4) The MTs have decided to turn the OB room into a bar, and have completely tricked it out. It has special doors, void floors, light floors, smooth wooden bar tables, and a gambling area. Only problem is they removed all the OB shells and shoved them in maints along with the fuel, and have had to block the OB canon from being able to be loaded to make room for the gambling area. How do you respond?

5) You are leading an op that is not going well. A significant portion of your force was ambushed by the xenos, and destroyed in detail. Then this flank killed another significant portion of your marines and caused a route. Your XO disappears for a few minutes then comes back with 4 delta marines who were being treated for injuries caused by a bad ob, and demands you turn over command of the operation to him. What is your response?
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aces View Post
    GOOD DAY
    You are manning the CIC with an XO and two SO's. One SO has fucked off without even saying hello and proceeded to die and go DNR 10 minutes into deployment, and in mourning, the XO fires off an OB into the FOB and then joins an MT gang with the sole purpose of dismantling the brig to install pizza palace. Your military police tried to stop them, but they forgot they had flashes and used their tasers on each other during some friendly fire as they failed to stop MTs and are now welded into lockers. What do you do?
    Hey Aces!

The SO deploying problem seems to have solved itself.

The XO firing the OB purposefully at the FOB is a murder charge for every person killed. Them then leaving and having no intent to come back is desertion. Either way I go about it XO is getting BE'd if they resist me arresting them or just executed if they come without resisting and hopefully the announcement encourages marines to hold their ground.

Regarding the MTs and MPs I would look to my backline. Is there a synth around? If so I'd deputize them. Has the SO that's left inspired me with confidence in his abilities? If so I'd deputize them as well.

Chief Engineer would be getting a call to help clean up the brig. As soon as the MPs are back on their feet and the synth and SO are deputized I'd leave the clean up and MP work to them. From there I would take over at CIC and salvage whatever I can.

Overall, I find it's important to delegate as much as possible in insane situations like this. The CO has people for this and they should be utilized so I can focus on the overall goal: the accomplishment of the mission and welfare of my marines.

Just a note: I can't say these would be in exact order. XO and MTs could run as soon as I show up and at that point I'm immediately moving back to CIC as I have people for this and the mission needs an acting commander to start sorting through the ashes.
    Last edited by morrow; 06-24-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c4xmaniac View Post
    Hello, le pop quiz has arrived.

1) You wake up and the XO, SOs, CE, every doctor and researcher, all the POs, the CMO, and the CMP are no where to be seen. You get 20 people screaming at you on comms immediately that every single officer onboard has been arrested for NoD and some other various charge for not completing an appeal on a delta pfc. No one is in command of the operation, and the marines are routing out of the caves on BR right now. What is your plan?

2) You deploy groundside, personally begin directing your forces, and the xenos who were beating the marines are starting to be pushed back. Just then, your CMP informs you that the XO is being arrested for FTFP for wearing a school girl outfit, resisting arrest for fleeing the MPs, and attempted murder for trying to kill the CMP when he arrived to arrest him. What do you do?

3) A marine master keys his way into CIC mid operation, walks up, and PBs an SO saying, "Fuck you butter bars, you got me killed." What is your reaction?

4) The MTs have decided to turn the OB room into a bar, and have completely tricked it out. It has special doors, void floors, light floors, smooth wooden bar tables, and a gambling area. Only problem is they removed all the OB shells and shoved them in maints along with the fuel, and have had to block the OB canon from being able to be loaded to make room for the gambling area. How do you respond?

5) You are leading an op that is not going well. A significant portion of your force was ambushed by the xenos, and destroyed in detail. Then this flank killed another significant portion of your marines and caused a route. Your XO disappears for a few minutes then comes back with 4 delta marines who were being treated for injuries caused by a bad ob, and demands you turn over command of the operation to him. What is your response?
    Heya!

1. I'd first announce the marines to fall back to FOB and hold their ground. So only one person should be in jail for NoD for this delta PFC and that delta PFC should be long gone. I'd attempt to find out who was the one who dropped the ball on doing the appeal and then start running through appeals of senior officers as fast as I could while following marine law appeal procedure. As soon as senior staff have appealed I would delegate the rest of the appeals to them and get back to the mission. Whichever MP messed up and jailed *everyone* for NoD would be getting NoD and a prevarication charge for every person past the first.

2. My immediate move would be to remind SOs to set solid aSLs who are actively moving to push. Next I would move to return to the ship. If the XO is not able to lead I have to return to the ship. Sadly, the XO's choices on uniform and subsequent resisting arrest may have cost us the edge but it is what it is. At the end of the operation or pre-hijack I'd swing by perma cells and give the XO a good ol' sarcastic "*clap".

3. This is hyper minor but *technically* the CIC doors are resistant to masterkeys but we'll assume he came through a window

This is pretty much an immediate BE. If he goes into hardcrit from me shooting him before I get to his body I'm happy to let him get revived and sit in a perma cell. We have an active shooter who is unstable and the likelihood he takes out his anger on everyone else in the room is way too high for my tastes *especially* when I need that SO, and other CIC staff, to keep the operation running smoothly. I'd call for MPs and medical as soon as I could.

4. This is all awesome. Sadly, it's in the way of my operation.

Calling the MPs is not going to get my OB online faster IMO. They're going to walk in and arrest everyone and now I gotta take all this shit down to load OB. Instead, and more fun for everyone I believe, I would talk to the MTs.

"Hey guys, the OB is a critical function of the ship. Honestly though, I don't care about you guys being in here and making stuff. In fact, if we do this right I'm happy to have MTs lounging around right by the big gun I need reloaded every now and then. At the same time, I need that OB accessible and ready to load. Do you think we can make this happen ASAP? All we gotta do is move [X] and [Y] and bam we're good and I'm happy."

If trying to rally them to do the right thing and also maintain their neat room doesn't work I'm calling the MPs and CE and we're just going to arrest everyone and manually unfuck it. This is the lame option but I gave them a choice

5. I like to try and bypass the obvious brute force answers with problems like this.

Before anything though, I'd tell MPs to double time it to CIC. This could go some bad ways and I want people available.

I'd ask if the delta marines agree with the XO. If so, I'd ask if the XO would like to take the field and rally the men. Sure, I'm still up here but it gets him off my back and he will probably be more useful down there at this point. And honestly, I'm not in an intense rush to get back at this XO. I'm sure when we make it back to Chinook Station my XO, some MPs, and me are going to have a long conversation.

If he doesn't take those options and I've stalled long enough for some MPs to show up and an SO or two to look up from their consoles I may end up trying to end things via brute force. Starting with calling for their arrests and if shooting starts it is what it is.

I will say though, if things are really fucked and it's more than just an angry XO with a few marines trying to mutiny I'm going to step down. My presence at that point is a detriment even if things are just not going great and it's no one's explicit fault in particular. I'd rather step down than attempt to mow down half my marine force.

Thanks for the questions!
    Last edited by morrow; 06-24-2022 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morrow View Post
    Heya!

Thanks for the questions!
    Answers are pretty good, only thing you left out is ahelping these people. These kind of shenanigans happen pretty often, and they're always ahelpable. XO with 4 marines in an unnannounced mutiny, ahelp, PFC PBing an SO, ahelpm etc. Also on #5 remember who has which comms, the XO knows you're calling for MPs. When you're dealing with people like PMCs who basically have all comms, remember this is important.

I don't think I've had a problem with you as XO, and your answers were good, so I'll give you my +1.
    Synth Gaming