User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarelius - Developer Application (Spriter)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tarelius - Developer Application (Spriter)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Tarelius

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Spriter

If Coder, what languages?
    -

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    spriting/mapping/coding, in that order. I have to admit, I found one of your leaked versions online via GitHub and made myself familiar with the whole SS13 architecture. Since much was broken or not implemented in this leak, I had to rework some scripts, add in some sprites and remake the map for my liking. This is and was totally for my own person as a hobby and I would never publish any of your work without your permission to the general plebs. This of course also applies, if you do not approve of me as a developer for CM, this I an guarantee you.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    I include a link to a zip file (checked for viruses) with some examples of my current work.

https://ufile.io/qhu59 (will be deleted after 30 days)

I made directional APCs, some new, animated sprites for existing icons and new ones. I also worked for other games like SS2 (System Shock 2, mapping, coding and texture work) as well as Empire at War (Texture and xml coding).
    On the mapping front, I added some screens of the Almayer rework I did for myself. I reworked most of the powergrid, pipes as well as some rooms, and got rid of deck 3 (Tanker Deck). At first i liked a three layered ship, more room to play with, but it is too apart from the main hangar and action, to be of real use. I guess you came to this conclusion too.
    Also interesting to note, I believe to be well versed when it comes to ALIENS Props and general knowledge of the franchise. I have quiet the personal collection, build out of the real world counterparts.

How well do you know Git?
    I use it from time to time to manage projects. I know my way around. No babysitting needed, don't you worry. :-)

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Well, what can I say, I would really love to work for this project officially and contribute my work and knowledge as a spriter/mapper, and maybe coder, for some of the new sprites at least, to your game and the community.
    ALIENS is one of my favorite franchises and I like what you did out of the SS13 framework.

That's all folks!

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the consideration of the developers, he has only about 2 hours of playtime in February, and about 6 so far this month. No notes.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there Tarelius, I'll be handling the testing process of your application.

While your profile is very strong conceptually, I am hesitant to issue the Spriter Test due to the varied nature of your portfolio. I'd like to ask you a few questions first to better clarify your application.

1. As a Spriter, often you will be working with coders and mappers on projects and features that are considered completely confidential. Do you understand that you can't share any content from any internal project if they are considered confidential. Not even with your mother. (Though we probably wouldn't be mad if you showed yer' mum, but you get the point.)

2. You release a set of sprites that you've spent weeks, no months, conceptualizing and getting just right. However the player-base is immediately adverse to their implementation. What is the most correct response to this situation according to you?

3. Do you understand that, as a Spriter, you are subordinate to the Lead Spriter in respect to the CM art-style over all? Yay/Nay

4. Going with such, do you understand that at any moment, the overall direction of the art-style of the project could shift if agreed upon internally, and that you would be required to follow suite?

5. You seem to have a strong grasp on the Aliens franchise, however, I'd like you to explain to me what specifically gives the aesthetic depth and interest. Why are you interested in the universe that we're inspired by?

6. As a Developer, even if just as a Spriter, you can (and will be) assigned duties outside of your skill set depending on who is available and what is needed, are you comfortable with this?

7. You've connected as far back as 2017, based on your past experiences with CM, make a comment on how the game has evolved since then.

8. Going off of such, understand that as a Developer, you should be actively playing a few rounds a week at the minimum so as to be keyed into the game and content. Do you think you can amp up your average playtime? We'd like to see you more active before we issue you the Spriter test.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Triiodine,
    first of thank you for even considering my application, given the fact, that indeed I was not very active beforehand in the CM community. But I will try to give you a better understanding of my persona and where I come from in my answers to your questions.

1. As a Spriter, often you will be working with coders and mappers on projects and features that are considered completely confidential. Do you understand that you can't share any content from any internal project if they are considered confidential. Not even with your mother. (Though we probably wouldn't be mad if you showed yer' mum, but you get the point.)
    - To elaborate on that point I just can share some information about my RL job (yeah...I'm no hobo mind you!).

I work in the IT department of a large cooperation (nooo, not WY) and I had to sign several NDAs for the projects we are running. I would love to tell you all about our cool mass acceleration particle cannon system and how we will take over Russia in 3 weeks from now with it, but I can't. Top secret, no passa � wording from me, no sir.

But seriously, I worked for other modding teams before (some community based and more open, some strict and closed off to prevent leakage of hard work) As mentioned in my application, one was for the Empire at War strategy game, and there were several additions and features and models we added, that we did not share with the rest of the world before the release. It was not as strict as here, but I can understand your point to keep new features under a cloak, for several reasons. If it works, great, pleps will be happy. If it fails...no one knows s**t and you can just continue without constant naggin "why is feature x not working...where is it...you s**k!" To make this wall of text even longer, I am currently also in a worldwide fangroup in a position of trust, were I also cannot share information about the internals of said group. If I would, I would not only loose my position there, I would also be expelled from any further involvement and I just presume this would also happen to me here.

2. You release a set of sprites that you've spent weeks, no months, conceptualizing and getting just right. However the player-base is immediately adverse to their implementation. What is the most correct response to this situation according to you?
    -I read through the comments, sift out unhelpful, subjective observations from objective critique and then, make an even worse sprite to mock them all for ever questioning my work again! Take that pink armored murines! ...well, or maybe I would just get over it and ask back with you (the team) 'cause in the end, whatever I will put into the game, will probably have gone over your table and I strongly believe, if we all could agree upon it, it should not be that bad of a backlash but there can always be valid reasoning for critique.

3. Do you understand that, as a Spriter, you are subordinate to the Lead Spriter in respect to the CM art-style over all? Yay/Nay
    -Yay

4. Going with such, do you understand that at any moment, the overall direction of the art-style of the project could shift if agreed upon internally, and that you would be required to follow suite?
    -While I hope we won't end up in a general mess (pink murines!) I don't believe we will end up so far away from now, like you try to imply. Sure the style can change, if agreed upon, no problem with that. If in the end I cannot live with the decisions the team agreed upon, it is on me to take my things and leave, no drama needed.

5. You seem to have a strong grasp on the Aliens franchise, however, I'd like you to explain to me what specifically gives the aesthetic depth and interest. Why are you interested in the universe that we're inspired by?
    -Aliens (and by that I only refer to Alien-Alien3, AvP and especially Alien Isolation!!!...oh and Predator "s" of course) has, at least for me, this perfect mix of retro-future dystopian 80's look, like Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell or that Outland Movie with Sean Connery, which I really crave for. This boxy, dusty, used, not out of place futuristic look, just enough tech and rubble mix to immerse the viewer in a believable universe. Added to that layer, the perfect dystopian society, state like corporations spanning over much of the known universe, people just a expendable resource as a groundwork for the movies. This gets topped by marvelous written characters, a musical score that is industrial, clean, eerie and instills fear for the unknown and last but not least the giger xenomorph creature, a created hunter, no emotions just there to kill and go one killing, spreading like a hive like virus once unleashed upon and unable to be stopped or restrained without brutal force.

I love Alien for it Space Trucker feel, helpless humans trying to beat the unknown out in nowhere.
    Aliens for it's Korean/'Nam like vibe, "we got them nukes", and overconfidence but we lack in brains. "Game over man, game over!"
    Alien 3 The unloved stepchild, still better lovestory than twilight and I also like to watch it from time to time. Bishop and Hicks = dead?! ...suckus bad decision in my opinion.

Alien Isolation - Perfect recapture of the fear from the unknown with the look of the movies.

6. As a Developer, even if just as a Spriter, you can (and will be) assigned duties outside of your skill set depending on who is available and what is needed, are you comfortable with this?
    - As long as I don't need to bend over...I'm up for it. Mapping is no problem at all, love to rearrange and especially "clean" maps. Also, I would need to see sprites ingame to check positioning and fudge ups by me, or other members of staff *hust*. I also love reworking of layouts to be more logical, especially powernet and piping seem to be in dire need on some maps and I already spotted some missing floor plates under some doors.
    Coding is also a valid role, but ss13 is reaaaaly a mess when it comes to that. Still can do and will when needed. Playtesting, modifying values, etc...all done before.

7. You've connected as far back as 2017, based on your past experiences with CM, make a comment on how the game has evolved since then.
    -Well, to make it short: Drama, drama drama, fun games, drama drama drama! No for real.
    Gameplay wise it is a mixed bag, some features got nuked, or never expanded upon, like atmos/space mechanics (would love to have a way to clear the hangar via airlocks, have some impact if the dropship crash happens, etc.), but Kits and gunplay got a MAJOR improvement over the past couple of month as far as I can tell. Mapwise, some really good decisions were made, love the remake of the sickbay and the re positioning of the brig on the Almayer. Groundmaps are mixed, best gameplay is still LV, other maps need to get to that level of balance as well. This is of course no easy task, they should differ from another and have different challenges to stay unique. Also, the implementation of the tank/vehicle mechanic is a plus. Overall code got cleaned, menus sorted and reworked and sprites got replaced or made better already, still "some" old icons that need a overhaul, directions. Loved the addition of the perspective glass panes. Replicated the idea myself and really had a hard time with the fudged layering code system.
    Sound seems to be overall the same from the last times I played back in 2017.

8. Going off of such, understand that as a Developer, you should be actively playing a few rounds a week at the minimum so as to be keyed into the game and content. Do you think you can amp up your average playtime? We'd like to see you more active before we issue you the Spriter test.
    -This I can fully understand and am currently shifting some freetime over to playing again, logs will be my witness. I struggled hard to get into playing 2018, divorce, costuming projects, modding, work, sexlife...maybe not in that order, but something always got in the way.

Well, if you read till here, you got my sympathies human, if you just skipped over, congratulations you got an achievement *timesaver*

I, of course, stand ready for any further questions by you or the team, but I must warn you, the answers may be as long winded as this one as well. ^^
    Last edited by Tarelius; 03-06-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again Tarelius,

Your answers are very much to my, and the team's satisfaction. With such, I'll be issuing the Spriter Test. Understand that this test is timed, and failure to submit in accordance with the two week deadline will result in an auto-declination of your application.

If it is discovered that any of your final submission contains plagiarized content, or content that is not originally your own (re-shadings, palette swaps, re-animations, etc), your application is immediately forfeit, and you may be barred from future applications.

The test and it's contents are considered confidential. Do not share your produced work with anyone outside of the active development team. Refrain if you can from asking current spriters for feedback, we want to see what you can produce on your own. This will tell us more about your design skills along with your raw artistry.

If it is found you have shared testing documentation materials, your application is, again immediately forfeit.

Also understand that our meetings are on a bi-weekly basis, and due to timing, your application may not be considered for up to two extra weeks after your submission. This is normal, and you should not worry about such a delay. I assure you, it's nothing to get anxious over, the worst that can happen is nothing at all.

I'll need you Discord handle in-order to issue you the test. Should you have questions about the test and or any of the materials associated with it, you can contact me here or via Discord. I recommend the later.

Best of luck Tarelius, we look forward to what you can produce.
    Last edited by Triiodine; 03-08-2019 at 06:12 AM.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triiodine View Post
    Hello again Tarelius,

Mucho text snip*, but many thanks for the further opportunity.

I'll need you Discord handle in-order to issue you the test.
    Regarding my Discord, I sent you a PM and you may hit me up anytime you want. I'm already eager to see what this test will consist of.

EDIT (03/12/2019): Recived the testfiles on 03/08/2019 and sent them back via Discord today.
    Last edited by Tarelius; 03-12-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Tarelius, thank you for submitting your testing materials. Understand that the initial submission is your final one. Apologies if that wasn't clear. Your application has been slated for the upcoming meeting this weekend. Expect a response on Sunday or Saturday. Sit tight!

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn�t clear...feels dumb...*sits tight* ...and plays some rounds, maybe even a doc once in awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Tarelius, apologies for the delay. I've been moderately busy these past few days.

However I have great news for you. Despite our most recent meeting getting delayed (Which also inhibited processing), we've decided to accept your application to join the Development team.

Application Accepted.

Welcome aboard.

If your permissions are not sorted within the next three days please speak to NGGJamie on the matter. We look forward to working with you, especially Monkeysfist101. I'm sure you'll get along fine.

As a reminder, remember that leaked content or code, or content you submit to the codebase that is plagiarized is immediate grounds for dismissal.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I admit it felt a bit like sitting on hot coals the last couple of days, but I refrained from nagging or poking around, life goes on and more important things come in the way.

Thank you again Triiodine, as well as the rest of the team, for the chance to be a part of the ongoing improvement and modding process of this great modification.
    Looking forward to working with you all. Cheers!