Hunter Pun Thompson

Other Whitelist Applications
    na

Character Information

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Mimi

What is your Synthetic's Personality?
    Mimi is a Mi-Mime.

Synthetics as you may know are exceptional in the art of communication. We know they can both understand xenomorphs and in turn be understood by the creatures.

With this context in mind, Mimi's placement within the synthetic lineage is more advanced than Working Joes, obviously, but surprisingly simultaneously both cutting edge and stunted in comparison to your modern Synthetic units-

In fact, Mimi is an old experimental unit which spearheaded the training of the algorithms later models would utilize to render guttural uttering into a chorus of intent and understanding.

* Exceptionally bad at small talk.
    * me begins to twirl alt + (Left Up Right Down) me is picking up momentum. Loop
    * Can't tell you what to do.
    * Good listener

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I bring a lot of SS13 & CM experience to the the table, which is helpful on low pop, helps support green CIC crew, runs DS, blah blah blah. I'm constantly combining mechanics in the game to come up with novel emergent systems which I do my best to disseminate out into the community, being a synth would give me the skills access and positioning to even further facilitate shenanigans. Also, I have satellite internet, which makes me well suited for a psuedo-pacifist role as I can't kill very much, but I get obliterated pretty often, so it would be nice to be able to be reassembled when decapped.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?
    I forget which synth, but one round someone set off a z level-wide EMP while I was talking to the synth. They gibbed and I think I was the only one who realized it was an EMP. Everyone was freaking out but cause the EMP turned off everyone's headset, so I couldnt just radio out and explain why no one's radio was working

Synthetic Character Story
    Mimi is optimized with great detail with an eye toward expression; eyebrows for example, outlined in an even starker charcoal color, stand out dark again against the ghostly sheet-white which is the Synth's cheeks' pallor-powdered complexion. You may object, in that Shirley there is no way they could compare to written & spoken language. If you abide in the charade however, you will find every quirk of the brow quaintly conveys quizzical bemusement with accuracy.

Very long story short, Mimi's designers manually tried programming filters against communicating via symbols, be it spoken, written, or zildjian. This was absolutely counter-productive and consistently resulted in corresponding gaps in understanding linked back to the filters.

So, as is the case with how we train and grow AI today, they searched for a way for the Synth to organically become crippled, and their solution was as wretched as it was ingenious. Thanks to generations of whole lifetimes' worth of MRI imaging of the brains of those suffering from Aphasia. Using these as a map of sorts they were able to absolutely inhibit Mimi's ability to expound verbally or in writ, while counterintuitively being able to understand others with a zen clarity

While it lead to the translation breakthrough, it resulted in Mimi in some ways being inherently flawed, yet too expensive to throw away.

Experience

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    If I'm not the most familiar player online, I'm up there.

How familiar are you with Command?
    I could do it all, it's just not my cup of tea

How familiar are you with Medical?
    Main'd the department in vanilla SS13 burnt out nowadays but quite knowledgeable

Also back in research I'm pretty sure there's enough mats in the back of research to create 105 bluespace beakers in its medilathe, and it's pretty easy to to carry them in your five plastic bags you can also make, which hold 105 items.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Not a fan of how it's treated as a dept, but yeah I know how to do everything and out of everyone as engineer I say I help them out the most, bringing them crates and the mats from storage as Engie, but I kneel to those who tolerate manning the line

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Acting for self preservation if escape is not a viable option. Lethally removing a non-uscm being who is an obstacle to preserving the life of uscm personnel

Confirmations

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    Yes

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Discord Ban Reason
    -

Other Information

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I'm in the headmin metaclub, my success in this application is a foregone conclusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly can't tell if this is a meme app or not.

If not, please use resources in #whitelist-app-help for re-application. The story is woefully inadequate to describe interactions, the personality is unacceptable, and combat question is so bare bones I can't tell if you understand it or not, cause it's pretty borderline. If you're serious about an application, reference accepted apps, use the discord, and put some good effort into another shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katskan View Post
    The story is woefully inadequate to describe interactions, the personality is unacceptable,
    The character is a Mime, they can't speak, but can understand others fine. If they want to tell someone something, they have to mime it out, or otherwise convey their message nonverbally- what's it inadequately lacking in exactly, and what aspect of the personality is unacceptable?

It's the quirky constraint of not being able to talk and having to communicate despite this restriction via miming that gives the character its personality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thats the issue, the lack of speech would be devastating considering you cant use comms whatsoever and anything you sign out would be cryptic and limited
    not even mentioning how short your story is, have a look at other apps and take inspiration from them, it will give you an idea of what you have to do

you also say you had a ban of sorts in the last month, thats usually a no when it comes to the final decision in general, come back when you got a cleaner slate, a new personality and a more developed story
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made me chuckle but this ain't it chief.

• Your synth being a mime is not an acceptable personality. Your synth needs to be able to speak in plain, understandable English with as few language and grammar errors as possible. This is non negotiable.
    • You need to actually play all the support departments listed here and have someone, preferably a councillor, vouch that you played these roles and played them well
    • Alongside your personality not being valid, your story is far too short.
    • Most of your app answers in general are a red flag, each on their own. This really tells me that you didn't bother reading through #whitelist-app-help on discord, read through accepted apps on the forums here, or even ask anyone qualified for help, feedback or critique at all.
    • Apparently you tried advertising your app in #whitelist-app-help too

All of these points on their own are enough for the council to deny your app, but what makes yours terrible is that it reads like you've put in an effort to make it seem like a funny joke app, but it feels more serious than a joke. This has to be one of the worst apps I've ever reviewed. I recommend you withdraw this now as you will 100% get denied.

Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you are a really good player, and especially skilled at engineering. Imo you are probably one of the cleverest MTs/engis on the server right now and really have the flair needed for being a good synth.

However, as I explained to you in wl app help, you need a story and personality to go with that expertise. The personality here just isn't up to scratch.

Think about it - the USCM buys the best synths for the job. They're not gonna put up with the one that can't speak on the radio and can only mime stuff out. Likewise, synths are built to be efficient and humanlike. Being a mime is in no way efficient, and it's actually pretty disconcerting to a lot of people and will make you seem less human to them - maybe even freak them out a bit.

Your personality has to not get in the way of stuff, and you should ideally be able to do it pretty frequently and not get tired of it. I know you like experimenting, so why not a personality where your synth is always looking for new and novel ways to tackle problems? thinking outside the box? that kind of stuff would be much better.

I suggest withdrawing this app and trying again later with a revised personality. I know you have what it takes to be a great synth, but this app does not show it.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I understand now.

I used //showthrea...ic-Application by copying and pasting it in plaintext- I wasn't sure why there was a hyperlink in there so I deleted it. I tried matching zeke and the first section is 'What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?', which is just personality now, but my thinking was their Quirk is that they can't talk, and they're an older synth made to learn how to talk to creatures like xenos by being forced to find alternate ways to convey things.

When I went to submit my app, I then realized it was a form and not just an open post. So I split my quirk/personality into Character Story. But yeah following the links, I see now they're way long.

I asked if I was able to play a Working Joe without a Synth WL, and I can't- that is in part why I thought to make it a non-speaking Mime Synth. If I were to get a different synth through the app, could I roll for survivor synth as Mimi? Even if not I've played SS13 for nearly a decade, I'm pretty sure could find a few ways to communicate- handing the CO and XO two Signaller-Igniters, one marked Yes and the other No would arguably give me a more direct line of communication with command than most marines- they'd also be able to get my attention directly by beeping me.

I digress though

1. Longer story
    2. Is 'prefers not to speak at all but if absolutely crucial they will' fine? Or does it have to not be a mime. Mimi is a good name, good gimmick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter pun thompson View Post
    2. Is 'prefers not to speak at all but if absolutely crucial they will' fine? Or does it have to not be a mime. Mimi is a good name, good gimmick.
    The USCM wouldn't purchase a synth that doesn't like to speak. Think of characters from media that you really like/connect with and use that as a basis for coming up with a synth personality. (obviously make them a synth version)
    Synth Gaming

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This application is great example of humor that I feel speaks to your ability to RP, but this application is denied. Synthetics have to be verbal as pantomiming does not communication well over the radio. Please shop your synth's personality on whitelist-app-help to get feedback before applying again.