Byond ID?
    Tempelers

CM Character?
    Virginia Markso

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    Pacific Standard Time (UTC-7)

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    20 hours at least, but my recent activity is very active.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    While I don't have any experience moderating in SS13, I do have experience moderating some Roblox servers (I know right) and several RP Discord Servers.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    The Wasteland, Goonstation, and I rarely play Yogstation

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    I haven't applied for anything else.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    I am not, no.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No, I have not.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No, I have not.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    I am fully aware that communication is a crucial skill to being a Moderator. I'm fully aware that I'll have to coordinate and help with other staff members.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    What's the context? Actions always have meaning, nothing is EVER random. Was it intentional to get grief someone else's experience? Was it on accident?

There are hundred more variables, but each one has their own response. I would speak to them about it and develop a response based on their answers.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Tell them to talk to one of the Predator Councilors to figure out if it was really an Honor Code breach, if it was then they should PR it.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I would attempt to find out if there is a SEA online, if there is I would subtlemessage them to go help the poor soul. If there isn't I would mentor help to figure out if any mentors could go SEA.

If absolutely no one was on, I would tell the CO/XO to go train them as they would be next in line.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Let an Admin+ deal with the situation. There isn't any reason to keep fighting an uphill battle, they've made their mind and I can't stop them.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    If the John Doe player ahelps me to have their name changed, I would oblige. If it was another player, I would talk to the John Doe about naming guidelines as John Doe isn't an IC name that makes sense in the Aliens verse.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This is a simple IC Issue. I would attempt to figure out if they attacked another marine/human with their gun, if they did then that could be potential grief.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Is it a CLF/Hostile Team Survivor? If so, then it's a simple IC Issue, but if it isn't. The Marine would be ahealed and the survivor would be warned. Hostile survivors are STILL banned no matter if warning is given. I would of course have to check logs to make sure the survivor actually killed them.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would attempt to find out if this was a metagrudge/intentional to grief or pull someone out of the round. A potential MP JBAN or short ban could be handed out if so. If it's a new player, I would tell the CMP off because they're supposed to be watching their MPs. I would also send a fax to the brig to have the marine released if they already served their FTFP timer. If they didn't then they can be put in a normal cell for the rest of the amount.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Use QM to give them a disappointed QM and tell them to push the dropship to take control of the LZ DS. If there's a shipside event I would talk to the event host and have them speedup the event.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I would attempt to hand it off to avoid being called out for bias or anything like that. If there aren't any other admin this could very easily be mass grief which results in either a medical jban or a heavy note depending on the circumstances of the round. Of course, I would communicate with other staff about the issue to see if they knew more.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Was the CLF surrendered/arrested? If so then it could be EORG. CLF are still hostile after the round ended which means marines can kill them at their leisure. There's an entire section for this on the wiki.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    As long as they aren't stealing mission sensitive equipment it should be an IC Issue. If they did steal such items, I would talk to them about how that's not okay and tell them to give the items back.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    This is simply improper use of force, there's a point to when self defense stops. As long as the marines who punched them didn't lay like twenty punches in. I would need to check combat logs to figure out what exactly happened.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Tell them to knock their shit off and find out why a mutiny is happening. If CIC broke a rule then I would have to punish them alongside the mutineers.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    If someone isn't having fun, no one is. I would attempt to reach a peaceful solution. The people who are laughing can't be touched as humor is subjective.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    I would need to aheal all the marines that died to the gunman before dealing with the marine who shot everybody up. I don't want any marines to go perma because of some dickhead. A easy perma ban on the griefer would be handed out alongside a search if they weren't multikeying. If they were I would also ban their account.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    This is LRP of the highest order and could even be mass grief if done repetitively. A simple LRP warn would be handed out and if they decide to feed larvas into getting killed that could mean further actions such as a Xenomorph jban or heavy grief warning.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    This is simply LRP, I would do XOOC to tell them stop if there are multiple. If it's a single bad actor then I would have to talk to them.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Was it intentional? Did the Xeno call it that to ask the Queen what the meaning was because they heard a marine say it? This is a situation that would require chatlogs checking to find out the circumstances of the word being dropped. If it was said for no reason/they wanted to, then LRP

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Did a survivor give them a fax/phone call to confirm xenos? If they did then it's not an issue at all. If they didn't then it would be looked into and could maybe get an LRP note.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    I would ask why the other two marines didn't kill the marine who just killed their friend on the DS. If the evac pod was the only one left/xenos are close by then it's an IC issue. I would also ask the marine who shot why they didn't just squeeze into the pod with the others.

If the marine did it when there were plenty of other pods/no threat then it would be griefing.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I would stand by my justifications and tell them why the warning was valid, but I don't want things to get too heated. Further warnings could be handed out if need be.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Not much can be done about this unless special circumstances such as someone intentionally lagging the server out to get free caps and such. In that case a perma ban would be handed to the ddoser/lagswitcher for exploiting and cheating.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I would tell the staff member about their wrongdoings, but if they proceeded to argue with me I would tell a manager to sort it out and get it done.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    As long as they aren't going at each other's throats, I would ask for a manager to handle the situation so they could figure it all out.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    MrDadMan said I should apply for staff and here I am. I've always wanted to mod for CM, but was warded off from applying until due to the complexity of SS13. I know it can be a pain in the ass to work with.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Responsibility and accountability are the main qualities for a member for staff. Standing by your opinions and your actions as staff grow reliability and trust within the community. Judgement is also a very good quality, but less important than accountability and responsibility.

Anything else you want to add?
    Nothing else.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to begin with i dislike the unprofessionalism within the (I know right) because your dishing out past volunteer experience as a moderator on another platform. Secondly going through each of your questions a few of them look like you put minimal effort into them While in other ones you are acting unprofessional such as "Tell them to knock their shit off and find out why a mutiny is happening". Additionally, the 1st Common Staff Situations question alone is not answered directly since you ask three questions in a What would you do in that given situation. It is excessive and should be left with "I would speak to them about it and develop a response based on their answers." Not give a Philosopher Lesson on The questions. besides that you did well on a few questions. But since I'm treating this as if you were at an actual job interview I have to give you a -1 *FYI you have had a note 27 Days prior to your posting for this application which should be reviewed by a manager
    Last edited by Jamesthebond; 07-05-2022 at 10:48 AM.
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If possible could you please post your play times?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, to begin with, and speaked out of my personal opinion:

Answer 1:
    What's the context? Actions always have meaning, nothing is EVER random. Was it intentional to get grief someone else's experience? Was it on accident?

There are hundred more variables, but each one has their own response. I would speak to them about it and develop a response based on their answers.

Here you seem to be asking many questions, but do not actually provide an answer to them. Instead you make a general answer as to how to react to the issue. What would you do if it was accidental? What if the player was new and did not know it? Or if the shooting was intentional and the player disconnected afterwards?

Details on how to properly handle an issue is always a thing to have in mind as a mod, as a vague response does not allow us to see how you'd take handle one thing or another.

Answer 2 is correct.

Answer 3:
    I would attempt to find out if there is a SEA online, if there is I would subtlemessage them to go help the poor soul. If there isn't I would mentor help to figure out if any mentors could go SEA.

If absolutely no one was on, I would tell the CO/XO to go train them as they would be next in line.

While it is not incorrect, COs/XOs are not obligated at all to help a new player. In fact, they would be mostly busy organising the operation to even bother training a new guy. If there are no mentors available, you can ask another staff to lobby you back or lobby another one should they request it, in order to join as SEA (and yes, you can join as SEA as a mod, just not lobby yourself). That's usually the best course.

Answer 4:
    Let an Admin+ deal with the situation. There isn't any reason to keep fighting an uphill battle, they've made their mind and I can't stop them.

Incorrect. We do not allow other staff to take over ahelps marked by someone else unless there is a reasonable issue (IRL stuff mainly or connection issues). Otherwise, marking an ahelp means you deal with it, and if they're rude to you, you can either tell them to chill out or escalate the punishment to a ban. As per rule 0.2, arguing or being hostile with staff is considered a rulebreak and thus justifies an escalation. An ahelp mute is also reasonable if they spam PMs.

Answer 5: is somewhat correct. Do remember that naming rulebreaks must be noted if spotted, as we need to record them should they repeat it again.

Answer 6:
    This is a simple IC Issue. I would attempt to figure out if they attacked another marine/human with their gun, if they did then that could be potential grief.

Indeed an IC issue, but depends on their intention as well. If you see the MT deploying to the frontline afterwards, it ceases to be IC and becomes a Rule 2, Deployment rulebreak. My question here is: How'd you proceed if it was actual griefing? What if they deployed and they refuse to answer your PMs?

Answer 7:
    Is it a CLF/Hostile Team Survivor? If so, then it's a simple IC Issue, but if it isn't. The Marine would be ahealed and the survivor would be warned. Hostile survivors are STILL banned no matter if warning is given. I would of course have to check logs to make sure the survivor actually killed them.

The deal of hostile survs, of course. As of now they've been banned, I recall (don't take my word for it, basing myself on Ben's announcements after the testing). As for the procedure, yeah it seems to be mostly correct. What would you do if the survivor already had warnings about similar behaviour? How'd you escalate it?

Answer 8:
    I would attempt to find out if this was a metagrudge/intentional to grief or pull someone out of the round. A potential MP JBAN or short ban could be handed out if so. If it's a new player, I would tell the CMP off because they're supposed to be watching their MPs. I would also send a fax to the brig to have the marine released if they already served their FTFP timer. If they didn't then they can be put in a normal cell for the rest of the amount.

Good answer overall. Bringing up the possibility of metagrudge is a plus. An MP job-ban is usually left as an escalation deal if the MP has done several ML breaches in a row or has previous notes regarding it. Another option could be to deal with it ICly by involving a Provost visit (would have to be done in tandem with an smod+) or SMing/faxing the CMP, yep.

Another thing you need to investigate is whether the crimes are actually valid or not, as the chance of the ahelper lying to you, especially on arrest deals, is quite high. In that case, should the ahelper have lied to you and actually had done a capital crime worth of being in permanent, then the ahelp can be marked as IC safely (not to say that lying on ahelps constantly is a rulebreak as well).

Answer 9:
    Use QM to give them a disappointed QM and tell them to push the dropship to take control of the LZ DS. If there's a shipside event I would talk to the event host and have them speedup the event.

While a vague response, it is somewhat 'correct'. A stagnating round doesn't really mean an event is ongoing, it is mostly a cause of a stalemate. In those cases, the best course is to either encourage one party to push the other or (as admin+ or smod with permission), spawn in an ERT to aid them. Usually a QM intervention results more effective than an ARES announcement, that is good to note.

Answer 10:
    I would attempt to hand it off to avoid being called out for bias or anything like that. If there aren't any other admin this could very easily be mass grief which results in either a medical jban or a heavy note depending on the circumstances of the round. Of course, I would communicate with other staff about the issue to see if they knew more.

Good course of action. Issues in which you are involved with, better to avoid dealing with them. However, the sentence 'If there aren't any other admin this could very easily be mass grief' confuses me a lot. Why would it not be mass-grief if there actually was another admin?

Also to note, you can deal with instances of mass-grief regardless whether you were involved or not, as it is a general issue to the server. It's one of the exceptions. Otherwise you can ask for staff to join to deal with involved ahelps.

Answer 11 is correct.

Answer 12:
    As long as they aren't stealing mission sensitive equipment it should be an IC Issue. If they did steal such items, I would talk to them about how that's not okay and tell them to give the items back.

Careful here. Whilst yes it would be an IC issue, being extremely disruptive by riling up the players before deployment would be considered 'roundstart shenanigans', and that is a rulebreak. As you said as well, stealing high-value equipment such as spec equipment or stuff that must be bought with points is also a rulebreak.

Answer 13 is somewhat correct. Do be wary again of people lying in ahelps, it can happen.

Answer 14:
    Tell them to knock their shit off and find out why a mutiny is happening. If CIC broke a rule then I would have to punish them alongside the mutineers.

Whilst it's not incorrect, the first part of 'knock their shit off' is totally unnecessary and rude. Being unprofessional whilst dealing a serious issue can lead to disciplinary action. We do allow some casual entrances but that is outright insulting. Furthermore, you have the MOOC tool to warn all the marines about it, which comes very well to controlling a non-allowed mutiny.

Now some questions here:
    After MOOCing the issue, what would you do with people still going on?
    If CIC had broken a server rule, how would you proceed? What would you do if it was a CO breaking a rule instead?
    How would you proceed if, after dealing with the unauthorized mutiny, someone else ahelps asking to authorize it?

Answer 15:
    If someone isn't having fun, no one is. I would attempt to reach a peaceful solution. The people who are laughing can't be touched as humor is subjective.

This is... rather confusing. Racist jokes are generally not tolerated and the best course of action here is warning everyone involved. We have a strict no-tolerance policy regarding racism, homophobia or any type of discriminating, bigotry or hatred speech to specific groups. Whether it was a joke or not.

Answer 16:
    I would need to aheal all the marines that died to the gunman before dealing with the marine who shot everybody up. I don't want any marines to go perma because of some dickhead. A easy perma ban on the griefer would be handed out alongside a search if they weren't multikeying. If they were I would also ban their account.

Usually it's better to first sleep the gunman then aheal anyone involved. Whether they perma or not, you can still rejuvenate them. The rest is correct.

Answer 17:
    This is LRP of the highest order and could even be mass grief if done repetitively. A simple LRP warn would be handed out and if they decide to feed larvas into getting killed that could mean further actions such as a Xenomorph jban or heavy grief warning.

While yes it is LRP for a larva to be outside the hive in order to scout/frontline, it is not mass-grief, but rather considered as normal grief if done excessively to waste larvae. The course of action is correct, although I'd rather leave it as LRP if it was with the intention to scout, or grief if to waste the larvae. A jban is also a good option if done several times.

Answer 18 is correct.

Answer 19:
    Was it intentional? Did the Xeno call it that to ask the Queen what the meaning was because they heard a marine say it? This is a situation that would require chatlogs checking to find out the circumstances of the word being dropped. If it was said for no reason/they wanted to, then LRP

It is not LRP, as xeno thoughts are automatically translated into English, thus the words SADAR, OB, Dropship, gun, and anything similar are allowed. Whilst yes it kills the spirit of immersion (as I think), it's not a rulebreak per se.

Answer 20 is mostly correct, though as well as a LRP note you could apply a metagaming one too.

Answer 21:
    I would ask why the other two marines didn't kill the marine who just killed their friend on the DS. If the evac pod was the only one left/xenos are close by then it's an IC issue. I would also ask the marine who shot why they didn't just squeeze into the pod with the others.

If the marine did it when there were plenty of other pods/no threat then it would be griefing.

The first sentence is unnecessary, it is not relevant to the investigation. And yes, in these cases a marine killing another as a cause of a life-death event is allowed. One other thing to note: If there are more than 3 marines in a pod or a large xeno inside of it, the pod explodes, so the option to squeeze in is not viable.

Answer 22:
    I would stand by my justifications and tell them why the warning was valid, but I don't want things to get too heated. Further warnings could be handed out if need be.

Here the best courses of action would be either the specific channel mute they're using to rant in. The other option, if they spam ahelps instead, would be escalating it to a short ban.

Answer 23:
    Not much can be done about this unless special circumstances such as someone intentionally lagging the server out to get free caps and such. In that case a perma ban would be handed to the ddoser/lagswitcher for exploiting and cheating.

Most of the time the answer is 'no'. If it was a general server lag, perhaps someone of higher rank could consider doing something about it. Now, about lagging servers, DDoSing and stuff, you usually lack the tools to spot one, I personally let devs or system admins to deal with server issues or gameplay mechanic stuff. Teamwork is what makes the staff shine!

Answer 24 is correct.

Answer 25 is correct too, do take in mind however that if you think a staff member noted/banned someone wrongfully, you are not to undo the note/ban at all. Staff Reports are the best course for players to deal with this stuff, whilst in your case, as you well said, going through management is the best course for staff-to-staff issues.

In general, most of the answers are somewhat correct, with many of them being able to be fixed. I will not give a veredict yet until my questions get answered.

I would work as well on the responses since unprofessionalism on PMs is enough to be staff reported. That means no calling someone a 'dickhead' nor making a 'fuck off from the LZ now' XOOC announcement.

Please make sure to detail more on your answers as in explaining your course of action (tools to use, who to ask, punishments dealt, rules broken, etc). That shows dedication and interest in learning how to be a mod!

That is it, have a good day!

Playing as:
    - Noah 'Butterfingers' Jones
    - Marcos 'Payaso' Ruiz
    - MOL-XXX
    - Pablo
    - Na'kel-uq Bo'ytill

Mentor: 02-27-2022 - 05/04/2022
    Trial Moderator: 05-04-2022 - 18/05/2022
    Moderator: 18/05/2022 - 12/07/2022
    Senior Moderator: 12/07/2022 - Present

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, gonna do a quick rundown of some of these answers you did.

Also, noticed you didn't respond to Vagabond's request for playtimes, so, just as a heads up for the future, you should check your applications occasionally for feedback and answering any follow up questions. Yes we do know we were very slow to respond to this application (that's our fault sorry...) but again, reading every once in a while for questions/feedback is a good token for use to see if you are keeping good communications.

Review of application:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Overall your answers are pretty lacking, and could use some work, however you have the general idea of what to do. You should definitely review server rules and maybe ask around for some clarifications of situations if need be. For now im going to give this a -1 I think you could re-try again at a later time. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been about two weeks since I posted for your play times. I still haven't really gotten an idea of how long you've been around. Until then I'm going to have to say no for my response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there! Thank you for applying to join the Mod team!
    I think that you show a lot of enthusiasm, and a desire to help make CM a fun place for people to play, but based on your answers, it looks like you may need a little more time to get a handle on server rules. Please take some time to look through the Wiki, browse some of out past applications, and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out and ask- and i hope that you'll resubmit your application after 30 days!