Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

freestylalt - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    FreeStylaLT

Player Name You Use Most?
    Viktor Brenburg

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.ph...18241&p=215251 | As CMP, held a survivor in disposals, threatened him with slavery and a shotgun. Said it was just a prank that got out of hand, and it's actually pretty believable. Told him to appeal in two weeks | Lifted.

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    Not as far as I am aware.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    BEs and Executions differ in one main thing, to me -- practicality.

There are very few, if any, instances where you can BE someone when they have not committed some form of Marine Law violation. This means that MPs should take general priority over handling ML violations, after all, that is their job.

However, when the MPs are ineffective or non-present and the crimes / actions committed are actually immediately dangerous to you or those around you, then the Mateba comes out.

For example, based on a recent occurrence:
    -Brawl breaks out in C/D bunks.
    -No MPs.
    -Command arrives and tries to calm them down.
    -Ungas dunga.
    -Non-lethal methods are used by Command (flashes, etc)
    -Ungas continue to escalate, whipping out a knife / gun / whatever.
    -BE.

This to me an example of a BE that is completely justified. Escalation was followed and non-lethal methods were attempted, but the orders to cease were disregarded and instead the offenders escalated into lethal means. This naturally also applies to someone HEFAing the backline or FFing marines in a less-than-accidental manner, if in the sight of a CO.

While BE as a result of escalation / response to immediate violence is all and good, BE can also be used as either punishment or reaction to hostilities beyond the regular mutinies or violence.

These situations include, as examples, Liaison holding up several members of the crew hostage via implants or a rebellious PO disobeying orders and evacuating far too early, leaving many marines behind to their death. Both of these examples, the latter one especially, have a lot of asterisks attached, such as MPs not being available to respond / arrest him first, or / and it being malicious / intentional and not a misunderstanding / miscommunication of some sort.

It essentially boils down to intent -- if they are a genuine dick and disrupting the round / op, a BE is far more likely, while misunderstandings / miscommunications are generally not justified for a BE. Context is king.

As for my own use of it, considering it is there for a purpose, I would not necessarily shy away from it. As long as I am certain that it's justified (according to general ideas I've listed above), I would, in all likelihood, use it.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, an Executive Officer wh
    When it comes to leading, he is straight-to-the-point, being as clear and as efficient as possible with his orders. His general outlook is diplomatic (but that hardly applies for xeno rounds), preferring NJPs / Warnings for minor infractions, but he prioritizes any given orders / the mission over his own ideals or morals. However, he is not a very patient man and can become profane and loud when things aren't going his way. Basically, he might yell and chew you out quite badly for a mistake, but won't escalate beyond that (IE, brigging), unless you did it intentionally or were disruptive and didn't heed his warnings / orders.

When it comes to general tactics, unfortunately I cannot guarantee any distinct "unique" approaches. The job of a CO in my eyes is to react and act according to what's best for the op, this means having a wide and varied arsenal of potential tactics / approaches to any given situation, not sticking to one specific playstyle.

As for a small "quirk" of sorts -- he will find an opportunity during every briefing to give a cheeky, but genuine / sarcastic clap.

Examples: "Before we begin, I'd like to point out [Name], the sole Engineer to have woken up. Give him and his squad a round of applause. Their noble sacrifice is to be noted. They'll do us proud."

"W-Y's superb engineering has resulted in 10 total marines being woken up. Please give the Liaison a round of applause for maintaining excellent Quality Assurance aboard our ship. Only the best were handpicked for this, this is all we'll surely need."

"Before we begin, I'd like to point out our RO, who has generously decided to donate 5 HPRs to our front. His contribution will surely lead us to victory, give him a round of applause." This type of humor may carry over to other aspects of his leadership, but only if seen as fitting and not distracting from the op.

Moving on, to the situations listed:

1) Insubordinate Engi. Staff -- That entirely depends on the type of insubordination. From my experience, there are two-ish types:

A) Absentee MT, just vanishes, but not in Cryo and unresponsive to radio.

If present, have the CE / MP handle it. Otherwise, take up myself / Synth / XO to fulfill his duties, depending on availability.

B) Genuinely rebellious MT who starts disrupting work / power / whatever due to some petty squabble / revenge against particular Staff or Command in general.

Have the XO / CE, if present, handle it. If he's not there or my presence is requested for mediation, I would hear both sides out and punish accordingly, but I would prioritize diplomatic resolutions. If he, however, starts shutting power down to CIC or blocking hallways in a very malicious manner instead of trying to be heard out, it can very quickly escalate to a potential BE, if MPs are unavailable / ineffective, due to how much disruption those kind of acts can cause, on top of how griefy that type of behavior is from an MT.

2) Staff Officer Who can't do anything right:
    This could be because they are new, in which case he should be re-assigned to the FOB squad to get the ropes learned. I personally have no problems ICly or OOCly with "freshly assigned" people. Advice is easy to provide.

Now, on the other hand, there are the seemingly belligerent SOs who appear to oppose your orders. This can generally come from two general areas:

A) They think my orders are incorrect / wrong. The general approach I would take is to simply ask why he's not doing as told and assess his answer. Either he answers thoughtfully and I can either agree and change my orders based on the information provided or overrule them regardless, or he just says something along the lines of "Because you're shit". Now, the latter is a dangerous one, because he might be inevitably right.

At that point it's prudent to ask what faults he saw with my actions / orders and resolve them appropriately, but if he fails to provide feedback and just blurts out "Your orders are shit, CO". In those cases it's either time to rely on the MP, or simply telling them to deploy and getting them out of CIC. If they fail to listen to that, then they can either get dismissed from CIC, or depending on the amount of disruption they're causing (approaching LRP / griefing levels), BEd, though, as mentioned earlier, that is heavily context dependent and a worst case scenario, generally.

B) They are simply more aware of the situation and are reacting appropriately to the information they have, without necessarily forgetting the orders.
    I've run into this as an SO myself, where my squad gets certain orders, but there's no way they can group up / organize for it just yet, meaning I have to either encourage them to group up elsewhere or manage their ongoing situation before proceeding to the actual order. In this case, again, simply asking what's up is the best approach, as the answer can be "Squad is scattered, may take a bit of time to get them to do [order]. In which case the answer is "Understood, round 'em up ASAP."

3) XO questioning everything I do:

This ends up being very similar to the SO issue. Ultimately, his advice can be valuable and should be listened to, but the point is not to spread dissent in the public, so he would be requested to keep his doubts to off-comms talk. I would absolutely not try to silence him, however, as I've been in that situation as either an XO or an SO. As long as proper politeness is maintained, IE NOT "Captain, what the fuck are you doing you shitbrained kangaroo?" But rather, "Captain, I suggest changing X squad's orders to Y, due to Z". There is no reason to listen to the first one (unless I have gravely screwed up), and no reason NOT to listen to the latter one.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    ICly -- Providing a general direction for the operation and squads, leading them to victory. Acting as a general manager of Command / Departments.
    There generally shouldn't be a need to micromanage anything without a lack of staff or staff that aren't able to fulfill their duties, in which case, just like a manager, he should step in and correct it, by guidance or taking over.

OOCly -- the core RP foil for the round, especially during events / particular RP occurrences. You / the XO are likely to be the only people capable of walking away from CIC to fulfill some sort of RP-related situation or, even better, be able to influence said situations through your orders / announcements.

This means that you have direct influence over the enjoyability of the round, though, only to an extent. Poorly optimized orders (like a squad with no engies getting FOB) can result in general chaos / disarray, which can quite literally cascade into a quick defeat.

You are the main example & standard of RP / competence each marine or CIC / Command staff should strive for. You're also, usually, the sole person to not let the poor CL get bored to death.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I think that the central console should be able to launch OBs. This mostly comes from lowpop experience where you have to run from and to an OW console when solo or duo-manning CIC.

I also believe that the Tac Map should also have distinct blips for IOs, SOs, XOs, Synths w/ Almayer ID and the CO. This is less lowpop focused and more general, telling them apart can be quite difficult at a glance.

As a last suggestion, I would say adding the underground complex to the tac map on Ice. It can be quite confusing to tell where people are even with the browser map on-hand, but admittedly, this is more of a personal gripe.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I believe I have a good sense of RP standards and an understanding of when a Command staff should engage in RP situations over leading the op, with appropriate delegation. In addition, I would say that I have good knowledge of most maps at this point, enough to devise effective initial and reactionary tactics.

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    It is 12:25. Combat Information Center�s airlock hisses open as a nervous figure hurries in. The man swiftly approaches the central table, takes off his cap and salutes. The seated figure nonchalantly turns its head away from the command console. His green-brown uniform impeccably ironed. The Executive Officer looks over the Staff Officer, stopping at his contrastfully wrinkled, loosely buttoned uniform.

�At ease, Lieutenant.� He croaked in a low-pitched, gravely voice. �You missed the briefing. What happened?�

�Sir, the cryo malfunctioned, Sir!� the man replied, compensating for his nerves by being louder than needed in the room.

�Keep it quiet in here, please.� A stern voice came through one of the Overwatch cubicles. The Lieutenant remained still, but sweat droplets were visible around his forehead.

The Executive Officer nodded, �Understood, pick a squad, Lieutenant..� he looked at the crooked ID hanging on the uniform,

�Brenburg, I can see this is your first assignment. Worry not, you will do fine. Printed briefing is on the table.� he smirked, turning his chair around to look back at his console which had many colorful blips being visible and blinking around on a map. �..And fix up your uniform, Lieutenant. It�s a mess.�

�Sir, thank you, Sir.� Brenburg saluted once more and quickly glanced around the room, noting one last available cubicle -- the blue one. Dread washed over the Lieutenant as he approached his desk while buttoning up his shirt. He sighed and flicked Delta comms on his headset. An immediate wave of chatter washed over his ears:

�I am now more knife than man.�
    �Ten bucks says he�ll fall and stab his own dick.�
    �Our Synth has a toilet for a fuckin� mouth, Jesus. I can barely understand him.�
    �MY COCK IS LOADED AND MY GUN IS ERECT. LET�S DO THIS.�
    �..The fuck, dude?�
    �Shit G, MPs got called on me, I ain�t coming back..�
    �Don�t worry, Tyrone, we got you fam.�
    �I AM STILL AT REQ. RO IS GIVING ME FUCKING FORMS TO SIGN!�
    �Yeah, fucking Command�s full of shit today.�
    �Ay, Lead, we gettin� paid extra for every CLF kill or what?�
    �Yeah, five cents per kill. Better make them count.� -- A distinct, thunderous voice cracked through the comms. Brenburg immediately recognized it as the Staff Sergeant.
    �Delta, get on the DS. We�re deploying.�
    The Staff Officer remained stone-faced for a few seconds, then spoke into the radio as he logged into Overwatch.
    �Good morning, Delta, sorry about the delay. I�ll be your Overwatch for this op.�
    �Good morning, SO.�
    �SO, fucking Req called the MPs on me. Fuck this shit.�
    �Who the fuck is this guy?�
    �I�ve got a bad feeling about this op, guys.�
    The Lieutenant sighed once more. He shared a similar sentiment.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is 14:45. �The bridge bombing took out our main supply route and resulted in numerous Bravo casualties. These Colonial Liberation Front scum are not willing to play by the rules. If brutality is what they seek, then that is what they shall receive.

Marines, all CLF and their associates are to be shot on sight. No quarter.� The announcement blared throughout all comms. Brenburg turned around and leaned to his side, trying to catch a glimpse of Bravo�s Lieutenant. Headset was over his neck, his face hidden in his palms. The Executive Officer stood up and approached Bravo�s cubicle.

�They sank the Bananas, fuckin� hell.�
    �Shit, man, I might run out of knives if we gotta kill ALL of �em.�
    �Quit yapping and group up. West side of the building.� - Staff Sergeant ordered.
    �Charge is set, Lead!�
    �Alright, Delta, you know your objective. Breach when ready.� Brenburg relayed, turning back to his console.
    �Copy, SO. On my mark� NOW.�

A loud bang, followed by a tremendous dust wave covering the camera feeds overwhelmed the console. After a brief chaotic commotion on comms, first words come out:

�Clear.�
    �SO, ya lead us to an empty dorm building!�
    �All cle-�
    �I GOT SOMETHING!�

After quickly switching to the marine�s cam, he saw three figures, huddled together in the kitchen. They were unarmed, and visibly scared.

�We found a few of �em rats. We got our orders, fellas, lead time.�
    �Hold your fire, those are civilians.� The Staff Sergeant quickly caught up with the lone marine and now was in the room with them.
    �They should be brought in.� -- he continued.
    �G, we ain�t negotiating with them no more, they capped our Bravos, we cap their asses.�
    �We�re just the kitchen staff, please!� One of them cried out.
    Brenburg leaned over, pinching the bridge of his nose. He then turned around to look at the Bravo Lieutenant again. The Executive Officer was standing beside him, with his hand on the Lieutenant�s shoulder. They both exchanged nods, before returning to their posts.

Brenburg sighed, turning back. He then switched his comms and after a brief pause exclaimed,
    �You have your orders, open fire.�
    �Copy that, G.�
    �HOLD YOUR F-� Loud pops and brief screams interrupted the Staff Sergeant�s protest.
    �That�s fifteen cents added to your pay, Tyrone. Lookin� good.�
    �Fo� sho. I can afford a whole EAT bar outta this.�
    �Hey, HEY! I fuckin� threw a knife at one of �em, those five centavos are mine, hombre.�
    �Lead, I�ve been in Medbay for twenty fucking minutes now. The doctors are bald as fuck oh my god.�
    �SO, you just killed three civilians.� The Staff Sergeant sharply declared over command comms.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is 15:10. �That�s one way to piss away a fresh Lieutenant�s career.� The figure growled, standing beside the table, his sunglasses giving off a light shine from the desk lamp. Brenburg was seated at the other end, looking both guilty and distraught.

�Sir, the orders w-were clear. On top of that we had n-� Brenburg stammered out.
    �Aye, that doesn�t mean you have to follow them like a fucking pig with a carrot and commit war crimes, Lieutenant.� The Chief interrupted. �For your first assignment this was sure as shit a dumb thing to do.�
    Brenburg remained silent, leaning onto the table as the realization of what will likely happen next washed over him. He teared up, �Goddamn it..� muttered to himself. He raised his hands to palm his face, his handcuffs clinking.

Suddenly, the interrogation airlock hissed open, revealing a familiar green-clad Officer. The Chief and the Executive Officer exchanged salutes, then they both turned to the Lieutenant.
    �Brenburg, the men you had shot were CLF suicide bombers. We found explosives hidden underneath their clothes. You likely saved Delta�s lives from another bombing.

Brenburg raised his head, giving a surprised and slightly confused look.

�CMP, he's needed at CIC. We�re fighting scum -- he acted on his instincts.�
    The Chief, with a disappointed groan, took off his handcuffs. �We�ll see about this when I fax the Provost, XO.�
    �Fix yourself up and return to your post, Lieutenant. We have an op to wrap up.� The Officer finished.
    Brenburg, his mouth slightly agape, gave a light nod, �S-Sir, yes.. Sir.�
    He slowly returned to his post, put his headset back on and flicked on comms.
    �Hey Chie-AUGH FUCK. IT WENT RIGHT INTO MY DICK. FUCK. MEDIC! MEEEDIIIC!�
    �Called it.�

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A damn good player. I�ve had the opportunity to interact with them on multiple occasions, and every time they�ve done wonderfully. The story is pretty good but I don�t think it fully represents their RP qualities and storytelling chops. But the questions all look well-done and are very comprehensive. The emphasis on proper escalation/deescalation gives me confidence they won�t abuse the BE.

Strong +1 from me. Good luck.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't comment on the player as I'm not familiar with them, the app on the other hand shows effort and it is quality on top of it.

+1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm willing to vouch this guy leadership as a Squad Leader and SO. I got under his command many times and got him as a Competent SO when I was CO. The app itself is well. Only part that you can get better is stopping to be a grape.

Overall, a well deserved +1 for you.

Godspeed Captain
    The French Madmen: Capitaine Renaud 'Sierra' Chatillon

Almaric, the history teacher synthetic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good player.
    +1
    Characters
    Alex Rossfield - Marine Roles
    Luke Diamond - Captain
    Lukas - Synthetic
    Alex Rossfield
    CM History
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you around in command roles a bunch, and you definitely know what you're doing. Haven't had too many chances to RP but it's been good from what I've seen.

Your answers, however, are extremely thorough and well-thought and I'd probably be comfortable giving you a +1 on those alone even if I hadn't seen you.

Taken together, this is an easy +1 from me.
    Audrey Aulin, found (drinking tea) in various roles

Evelyn, the ever-helpful synth

Member of the CO Council. Feel free to PM me here or on the Discord @Retrokinesis#8332 with any CO-related matters.

Former Moderator, Mapper, Official Space Carp Developer, and Lead Burrower Apologist.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good memereen +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you beat me to the applications Viktor, shame on me. Your a good lad ic and other places as well. I trust you on cic from the things I have seen and heard about you. You have my support, here is my big fat +1 lad. Also love how the backstory was portrayed as a normal round with a bit more RP and other things. Also to forget how accurate you were with DELTAS comms.
    Last edited by BatteryBan; 03-07-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gg brochacho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known you for some longer time, and your RP is quite good - clean record on staff's side since half a year now. I've also seen you in all kinds of roles on the server which means you most probably have a good understanding at everyone of them, which is very good for a CO to have. You didn't seem to struggle in leadership roles such as SL or XO either. But I have to criticize you for your story since Delta chat is unfortunately not as civilized as you portray it. But on a serious side, it's more in-depth than the average application, always good. I trust you'll do a perfect job as a CO. +1