0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LordBanshee - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    lordbanshee

Player Name You Use Most?
    Xavier 'Tag' Hart (Been in and out over the years)

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    N/A.

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    N/A.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    The Battlefield Execution tool is provided to Commanders to quickly and efficiently deal with Low RP and griefers, and is also useful for dealing with Capital Offenses which you don't have time to deal with nor will you.

BE should be mainly applied to LRP and Grief while RE should be used on individuals who RP out their Capital Offense. Battlefield Execution, for a military commander, is to be used when an individual threatens the success of the mission or life of another Marine on the battlefield, or has committed a capital crime but cannot be processed through marine law due to the circumstances of the operation.

I am not afraid to use the BE tool, but I am more than likely going to clarify my intent with the admins prior to doing it unless I'm sure it's within my rights to do so.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, an Executive Officer wh
    Captain Hart will run the Almayer using his famous four step process.
    1.) Assign subordinates tasks
    2.) Ensure assigned task is understood
    3.) Supervise subordinate assigned to task
    4.) Ensure assigned task is completed

Any issue can likely be categorized into one of the four above, so their solutions are clear.

One: The subordinate refuses to accept task. Insubordination will be met with process of Marine Law if able.
    Two: The subordinate does not understand the task. Simply explain the task to them in terms they'll understand, or help them get started.
    Three: The subordinate isn't actually completing their task. Insubordination will be met with process of Marine Law if able.
    Four: Make sure the task is actually done. If it's not completed, the assignment of more subordinates may be warranted in which we repeat the proce[/B]ss.[/B]

The most important portion of this, is ensuring that the task is actually being completed. If the individual assigned to do a task is the only individual who can do it, then I would need to assign myself to complete that task and ensure it was done. As for the specific question:
    Engineering Staff - Insubordination.) The primary concern is finding replacement individuals who can effectively relieve the individuals from their post who refuse to complete the assigned task. Second is to arrest the individuals who refused to complete the task.
    Staff Officer - Incompetence/New.) Make them understand by breaking it down for them, or delegating the training of the Staff Officer to another SO or the XO so they can also[B] be combat effective.
    Executive Office - Existing.) PURGE! THE CIC IS MINE! Just kidding.

The primary focus, as I have said, is making sure the job actually gets done. Once the job has an assigned individual, you can deal with the insubordinate marines/crew/etc.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of the Commander is split between IC responsibilities and OOC responsibilities.

IC: Ensure that the Marines are combat effective and deploy them to the battle to *hopefully* win, communicate to the civies/survivors and make sure you squeeze the intel out of them, run the CIC, work with the CL to please the company, work with the admins to ensure the smooth running of events, etc. All stuff related to the marine side of the round.

OOC: Ensuring the enjoyment for the marine side players. This is a particularly sophisticated topic and can require individual and group sacrifice to ensure. The goal is to be a servant leader, in which you work hard to ensure your players have the most fun they can in the battle. Sometimes this may mean giving up the win to allow for a fun event to progress. It's all about the player base happiness, not the victory.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I believe the staff have made a lot of awesome progress over the years when it comes to the development for CO and the CIC, but I would love to see further development of the tactical map so you can relay positions for the soldiers to move, and the icons on the map displayed more data about the soldier, perhaps their type of kit like marine, spec, or maybe even pulse rifle, shotgun, etc. Perhaps even vitals could be added to it, to provided an amazing tactical map. (Very tall order and don't expect to see it ever, but I can dream.)

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I can contribute a fresh set of eyes and ears to the Almayer to allow for a more fun and refreshing experience for the Marines, as well as I'd like to be more involved in the marine leadership discussions to help further the development of marine tactics and strats. Being able to award medals to deserving marines would also be amazing.

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    Link to the story because I can't format it on the forums for the life of me. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...sPTha3wC8/edit
    Last edited by LordBanshee; 03-06-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehh i may have seen you now and then but not well enough to recognize your name. The story part of the application is.. a massive block of text that was abit hard to read honestly, Breaking up your paragraphs properly would have done ALOT to the appeal of it. Though layout put aside its not poorly written and is interesting enough. The rest of your appeal is aptly written enough, but im gonna remain neutral for now. Mainly because 1. I dont know you ICly personally and ive never seen you in CiC personally and 2. The layout of the story makes it harder to read than the story is worth ultimately.

You still have time assuming you see this reply to edit the app so do so if you can, and play in CiC and especially XO role abit more while the apps up and ill be happy to change my vote. Good luck for now bud

Edit: by edit the app im talking about the paragraph spacing not anything else about how its written
    H'chak Best click clack.

Alice 'Snow' Falkner: The one TRUE snowflake.

Lurker 420 Points at the dank weeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. I tried to mess with the layout but it didn't work so hot for me. I'll try to fix it. I did give a link which is properly unborked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changed it to just be on the google doc. I hope that's not an issue for anybody. I'm inept at editing the documents and the TAB button doesn't indent, so I couldn't actually make it look pretty.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, time for my personal Feedback on your app.

Well first, I'm deeply sorry, but I do not recognize you at all. I maybe had a few interactions with you, but nothing I can remember (Probably a time zone problem). I do remember you for any command role and so I won't judge you on that, I'll be waiting for someone to vouch your abilities.

For your BE answer, you'll make Arbs proud, cause most applicants aren't willing to use the BE tool (and so I am), but you seem to understand well how it's meant to be used. I will trust you on this one.

Then comes my first concern: 'How you will run your ship'. The aim of this question is to give a bit a of fresh ways to do things, maybe speak a bit more about your character, how he is unique, show which RP or gameplay possibilities you'll be opening to the players. I'll be honest, I find your answer a bit caduceus and not really giving any new ideas. Any Command officer could be doing it as it's already the casual way to do. Got a marine denying order --> Insub. Making sure task is completed is also part of the casual job. This is for me the biggest problem of your app. You say 'The primary focus, as I have said, is making sure the job actually gets done.' How will you make it sure? How will you deal with insubordinates marines on the ground as telling them they will be arrested never works as a good way to manoeuver them? If you coordinate a push between squads but one squad fail to do the job, how will you reassign them fast? Using SOs? Announcements? etc... I really learned nothing about how you will command and how your character will be more interesting than a casual XO except he can give medals.

The next question is fine. You understand you got IC and OOC responsibilities which is great and I respect that.

Going now on the your contribution if you get the whitelist. I'll be honest, this one present the exact same problem than the 'Ship Management question'. Nothing that makes you really more interesting than a XO, except you give medal and 'Fresh tactics'

This problem is also present in your story. The idea of an UPP USCM battle is fine and could get us to some really great stories. The first interaction with the Synth is also nice, as you tell him you already know 'his data' showing your character will maybe be really planning things far before those happen. The rest of the story shows a pretty banal character however, maybe a stressed one (Inexperience) and doesn't really fit the CO role in my opinion. The rest is pretty fine and entertaining

Overall, I would say that you app is a pretty common one without any mistake but also nothing to make it incredible.

I'll stay neutral for now
    The French Madmen: Capitaine Renaud 'Sierra' Chatillon

Almaric, the history teacher synthetic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Chatillon for the reply. I've been back and forth with CM for the last 3 years or so. Some admin checking my first join date would be rad, as I can't remember when I first joined. I used to do CiC a lot back in the day, and have just gotten back into SS13 so I haven't be around so much yet.

It's hard for me to indefinitely supply an answer to the question as to 'what I'll do' as each scenario needs dealt with according to the issue, so a blanket response was my intent. As for showing off more of the 'quirk' of the commander, I had completely missed that being asked for in the question because I'm a stupid idiot. My quirk, and what I tried showing is that my CO provides in depth plans, which I will be designing through maps and imgur links, as well I will be providing the tactical map updates. A second quirk is that I am deeply concerned and affected by the humanity of the marines, and want to ensure their well being. If I'm unable to, and make a decision which is costly, I am deeply affected by it. Also, a large distaste for the Company is outlined by a dislike for my parents being W-Y, and generally disliking synths.

That operation, laid out in the story, was the first combat operation for Tag. The inexperience provided was intentional, as the soldier was new to combat and it was more a showing towards the care for humanity than combat leadership ability.

I want to respond a little to that individual scenario, and if you'd like to give me more scenarios in which I can go more into depth, please do. I'd love to respond to them.
    Captain Hart has called for a general assault into the Northern Caves of LV to push back the Alien threat. Alpha Squad has been assigned to stay at Hydro during the assault to remain as a reserve element. Instead of following orders, Alpha also joins the assault. This situation is common enough for most everyone to see, as it's hard to get a squad to stay still while their friends are finding xeno sprites to shotgun into oblivion. When this happens, I am confronted with an issue, and need to decide which one is more important IC: The success of the operation. OOC: The immediate enjoyment of the marines joining the push. Luckily, we have many compromises.

1.) Reassigning another squad to Hydro while Alpha rotates forward is ineffective, as many people aren't staring at the messages while charging into battle.
    2.) Let them continue pushing anyways, and change their orders to charge may be a good compromise, but it depends if you're willing to give up the reserve element and possibly lose more marines.
    3.) Order them to come back and push charges of insub and send down MPs to arrest them. This one is honestly the least fun and most annoying to put up with for all parties except maybe the MPs.
    4.) Give them a special task, claiming it's straight from the top, to re-assign them to an area similar to Hydro in reserve potential, but will give them a sense of a need. This may or may not work depending on if the SL is the insub or not. If the SL is insub, he might just not care.

One of the most important parts of a squad is that they stick together, so no matter what, I'll try to prioritize keeping them either organized and separate or organized and together. Obviously, these orders will be handled by the SO or XO in charge of their Squad. I would personally supervise the order being completed as they are in violation of marine law in case 3, or messing things up for the operation in the other 3 cases. My focus will be more towards keeping Marines in the fight than trying to drag them out due to a plan. I'd like to remain as adaptable as possible, but having marines listen is always a bonus and never expected.

As for what I can offer for the whitelist concern, I'm very unsure of what all I can offer except myself, my time, and my commitment. That's the best I can give, and the most I can effectively ask of myself.

I'm apologize if you think the character is banal. My writing isn't as nice as I would like it to be, and I probably should have put more time into it before submitting the application. I am not attempting to recreate the position of CO, but instead focus on what is known to work and put all effort into providing a commander which will apply military code and conduct and other military etiquette. My character should have enough personal backstory for people to poke and prod at the Commander if they read into it, or read my flavor text. Just wish I was better at fight scenes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally thought the app was fairly well written most likely because I dont nick pick as much as others might. But in all honesty I haven�t got the single clue of who you are like others have said. Though like you said with an admin confirming the first time you played would be very helpful and just with the amount of effort I saw in this application I am already believing you. With a background story that long you might as well apply for predator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let you command today and it was pretty bad. Your announcements had no directions, you were late on orders and I had to remind you several times of important events (fog lifts, etc). Moreover you didn't even consider a fall back when we had a grand total of 1.5 squads against an entire hive. I don't really think you're ready for CO yet.

Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response, Matt. Admittedly, that was particularly awful on my own part. While it's easy to say 'I was tired and that was a bad round,' I can admit I handled that round very poorly. I'll be sure to do better in the coming missions ahead.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You respond to criticism quite well and you seem to be understanding of what you might need to improve on.

I am not sure I've ever seen or had you in the CIC. But that may be a timezone thing.

I think I'll go neutral just for now, until I see some more of you.