User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LordBanshee - Commander Application

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBanshee View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Imheretohelp. I enjoyed that round a lot and loved having you as my CO.

Attachment 419

I can see where the humor can be found as a leader, and I didn't know that was something people were looking for. While I certainly want everyone to enjoy the round, I didn't really consider all of the avenues I could use for humor. I'll take this into account in the future, and apply it as I can. Thanks for the fun round and the vote!
    Nah that's just me I like to make people laugh. It's not a negative for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your app was fine, but not exceptional. Since I'm not very familiar with you as a player and it seems that other people don't know you too well, I'm neutral on your app right now. You're responding well to people's comments and seem to have a good attitude. I'll be keepin' an eye out for you! o7

The Helllbanian CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your timezone?

Your understanding of the BE is an old one out there and while correct for the most part there�s some more to it. First there�s no use to ahelp before a BE, as it is your right to use it and you will be holding all responsibility for it whether or not staff members approve according to their prespective. All responsibility will be yours to bear and yours alone shall you see a player report made on it. But at least you�re not affraid to say that youll be using it. Dont get to see that in every application.

To clarify; The BE in it�s essence is a tool meant to rid you of any malicious lrp shittery, or be an immediate response to any thereat to the mission, ship or personnel or to someone undermining your command, when a response from the MP cannot be provided in timely manner or the crime is severe enough.

More information is given in server rules, guidelines and marine law. It is mandatory for you to read these materials as a CO player since it also shows your position in the structure. Once you�re done please re-define and clarify the BE function to me and where the CO stands in marine law. When can you and when is it acceptable for you to be issuing a pardon?

As for the next question you have answered, I have to agree that task completion is a good priority and that insubordination may show up in multiple ways or so. But how will you diferentiate insubordination from neglect of duty or sedition? What is the difference between step 3 and step 4 in your approach to the same task?

The way I see it if a task does not get completed it�s either because of the incompetence of the people assigned to it or because the task itself was impossible to be completed for one reason or another. What is your perspective on this issue and how will you be dealing with it?

We need to clarify these things that I can�t get clearly from your application. As for the rest I�ll trust your experience. I understand you�re an old member, but we have to update you on these things. Shall you have any questions or require any advice please do contact either of us in the council.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My timezone is third shift. EST, Ohio. My hours at work are malleable so sometimes I'm on when the EU folk are and sometimes with the NA folk. Depends on entirely on my work schedule which is pushed out a roughly every Monday. Hard to say with certainty when I'm online.

I was not aware that the COs and Admins weren't communicating more about the BE. COs upholding the ultimate responsibility behind the BE does obviously make it a more serious tool to consider, but I am still more than content with using the BE if the situation calls for it. Obviously the best protection against player reports is the action and decision to BE being within reason of the situation.

As you have laid out, the BE function is to "... [be a] tool meant to rid you of any malicious lrp shittery, or be an immediate response to any thereat to the mission, ship or personnel or to someone undermining your command, when a response from the MP cannot be provided in timely manner or the crime is severe enough." I agree completely with this understanding of the BE.

The CO, while not above Marine Law, has many protections which allow him to make immediate decisions without immediate repercussions from their staffing. These are essential as sometimes sacrifices are necessary to achieve the mission. These include personally performing executions, pardons of Minor and Major crimes, and deputization of his staff. The Commanding Officers' main priority is to command the battalion. These tools provided are essential instruments needed in his orchestra of deathballing marines.

As for the pardon question, giving a Squad Leader a pardon for Disrespecting a Superior Officer during an assault on the FOB. Marine Law would indicate their immediate arrest however an arrest would either be
    1.) Too risky to actually achieve or
    2.) The SL is mission critical and their Disrespect can be handled later through NJP, and they are allowed to continue their duties on the op.
    Pardons, for me, are either based on the severity of the situation of their RP apologies for their mistakes, and willingness to continue service. Of course, it's a 'pardon.' Article 15s for everyone!

Insubordination, Neglect of Duty, and Sedition.
    Firstly, I'd like to note the difference. Insubordination, as the word suggests, is a lack of subordination. If your soldiers are 'insubordinate' it means they will not follow your orders. Insubordination is outlined by CM13 as "Failing to follow a lawful order from a superior. Using offensive names or being directly disrespectful to someone of a higher rank or position." This definition is obviously the correct one and is divided into two sections. The first one is the issue we'll focus on as it's more in tune with the question. A lawful order is any order by a superior which does not conflict with a superiors existing orders, standing operating procedure (if laid out by battalion leadership), or marine law. Ordering a marine to move from Nexus to Hydro and they refuse is insubordination.

Neglect of Duty is a marine failing to follow through with their duties as a marine and their specific role. An SL or aSL not providing field leadership. Medics not healing wounded. Engineers not building/repairing defenses. This Duty was preassigned to them through their role. Failure to do their role is neglect of duty. Orders may involve ordering an individual to commit to their duty in which failure to comply is Neglect of Duty and Insubordination. Identifying the difference is very important, as Insubordination and Neglect of Duty are different levels of crime. Of course, only one charge may be made but it's important to understand the technical overlap.

Sedition is a very severe crime in which personnel are trying to incite others to or actively overthrow the command structure. This is obviously shown the most via the mutiny. As a Capital Punishment, a nice big bullet round or perma brig may be in line for anyone charged with Sedition. With this in mind:

Insubordination is likely the hardest to resolve as many marines are just simply clueless to the orders, or run away from their field leaders so they lose their bearings. Enforcing SOs to give positive reinforcement instead of slamming their massive skulls on the insub button would be a better way to handle it, and consistently trying to give information to the last marines who need to get back to their squad, or are failing to follow the orders of the squad. This is generally the incompetence issue.

Neglect of duty is also an issue of incompetence. One example I had seen was an Engineer being arrested for not clearing a wall with C4 for the tank. The solution to this issue ended up being to arrest the engineer and have the tank just drive through the wall anyways. Literally no one won that situation, and the issue resulted in weaker defenses and a late tank. Sometimes the most direct and authoritarian response fucks the most people over. An engineer on the ground who is not building the FOB yet assigned to FOB squad is the very being a mega idiot who is neglecting their duties as an engineer. Arresting him would NOT solve the issue. A better alternative is to use his peers to inform him of his duties and get him on the right track. They can help in LOOC while I can't as I'm in the CiC.

Sedition can be responded to in one of two ways, I've found. You can acknowledge the sedition and respond with a threat, or you can try to talk them down and ease the tension. Being a leader means knowing when to play hard and when to play soft, and depending on the RP experience of the marine on the opposing end, you may be forced to use either to resolve the issue.

Okay, as for my task completion process: All of these issues can be identified at stage one. If they receive the task and fuck off, it's obvious what the issue is depending on how they decide to fuck off or what the order was. Step 3 is to ensure they are actually working on it. That means using SO consoles to watch them complete the objective, or having them give updates on the progress. If you see an engineer buckled to a chair and being dragged around by another Engineer center nexus, it's obvious neglect of duty or insub depending on their assignment.

Usual incompetence should not be responded to with a harsh hammer. (Not turning on your armor light despite being ordered to because you have no idea how to do it) Everyone has to learn at some point. Special incompetence needs to be responded to with a thunder clap. (Shoving the guy with an HPR+Bipod+QFA off the barricade during a siege). My general guide for how to respond usually depends on the OOC consequences of, firstly their actions and secondly my response. Obviously if these are in line and the IC reasons line up, I do it.

Sorry for the word vomit. Came home from a 10 hour shift and was excited to reply. I hope this gives a better outline as to my perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBanshee View Post
    Snip.
    I�ve admittedly been hiatus in game for a month or two now and can�t comment on applicant�s in game behavior, but I think the application and knowledge of �theory� behind the role is well-understood.

I�m leaning towards +1 but am held back by concerns. It�d be great if the applicant could reinforce the visible understanding of theory by showing it in practice.
    On that note, it�s probably advisable more COs comment on the applicant�s performance in game as a XO.

On your end LordBanshee, I think it would be good ( if you aren�t already) to play XO for a couple games during this application process.

Personally I think you understand the theory but most concern stems from if you know if in practice, in the actual role and lack of name recognition.

That said, my suggestion to you is perhaps play some XO rounds where you can. This should provide other active COs and Staff a frame of your skill and if you are able to take the theory and put it in practice. It�ll likely also alleviate some concerns over lack of name recognition.
    Last edited by Vispainius; 03-15-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, Vispanius. I have been playing some XO games recently, along with playing other roles to avoid getting burnt out. Just a matter of getting my name back out there after being gone for so long.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You clarified alot with Arbs and quite frankly i think you can handle the role
    +1
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the +1, Taketheshot. I appreciate it a bunch!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your response to Arbs was most excellent.

I think I'll make this a +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the support, Bancrose!