Discord Username?
    Mercadier#9657

CM Character?
    Bill Sutton

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    GMT+10 (Melbourne, Australia)

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    Depends on my work roster, typically 10-15.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Senior Mod for CM for about 6 months.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Nope.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yep.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    PM them, ask why, ascertain reasoning. Slap a note on them, escalate to ban if they did it intentionally without reason.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Inform them to file it with the Yautja WL Council as whitelist issues are outside the scope of the moderation team.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If there's a SEA or free mentor, ask them to help. Failing that, PM the player myself and join as SEA to help them if necessary.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Firmly remind them that moderators are not obligated to escalate issues if a player does not accept a ruling and to file a staff report if they believe an error has been made.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    PM the player in question. Since naming violations are often new players, (politely) inform them that they need a different name and offer to change it. If they cannot decide or refuse to choose one, change it for them. Apply note.

Escalate to short ban if they have a history of intentional naming violations.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue, intervention not yet required by staff.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Inform the survivor that hostile survivors are not permitted without staff permission. Aheal the marine, apply a note to the surv and let marine law consequences decide the rest. If they've done it before and should know better, apply a jobban from survivor role.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    PM the MPs and get their side of things. If it's justified, leave it alone. If it looks like a wrongful arrest, resolve it IC and have the prisoner released. If it's clearly a grief arrest, release the prisoner and, depending on note history, apply a note and potentially a jobban to the responsible MP.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Take it up with an admin first. If they give permission, encourage marines with a fax/SM or the xenos with a QM message. Any tangible balance changes requires approval from senior staff.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Ahelp and have another staff member investigate it as I cannot intervene personally due to being involved.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Let them know that EORG does not apply to enemy factions and that the killing did not break any rules.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Note him for roundstart shenanigans, potentially apply a ban depending on note history for grief. Replace any stolen gear that's been thrown into ASRS or disposals.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Aheal the victim. If it was the killer's first time, apply a note and warning for improper escalation and inform him that future incidents will be handled more severely. If they have a note history already, apply a ban for IE.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    PM or group-PM the mutineers that the mutiny is not authorised, and to stop before action needs to be taken. If they're already going in and shooting, sleep the group.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Ask the player making the remarks to stop and remind them that racial remarks are not permitted, apply a note. Depending on how serious the remarks are and if they're maliciously targeted towards another player, apply ban.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Apply month ban, check CID for multikey. File for perma if found.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Check if they're a new player or not. If new, let them know that larva aren't allowed to frontline as it wastes respawns and is considered grief. Give them a link to the map if they're lost. If they're not a new player and should know better, apply note and xeno jobban.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    PM them to knock it off. Note. If they have a history of similar behaviour, apply xeno jobban.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    PM the player that it's not against the rules to refer to it as such since xeno hivemind is considered an English translation of their thoughts.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    PM the player and remind them that marines aren't supposed to know about xenomorph presence on the planet. Note.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Depends heavily on context. If there were no other evac pods available and the marines were in clear, immediate danger, this would be justified IC and require no intervention.

If there were other pods available or the marines were not in any danger, this would be IE or grief meriting a note and possibly a ban.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Ask another staff member to handle it. If there are none available, note and warn them to stop or action will be taken. If they refuse, apply ban.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Tell them that SSD is not considered a protection from xenos and that they must have the larva removed through surgery.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Leave them to handle the ahelp then ask them about it in msay and see if the confusion can be cleared up. If necessary, ask an admin for a ruling.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I might weigh in, but it wouldn't be my place to interfere. Ask about it in staff discord.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    Against my better judgement, I genuinely enjoy playing CM and like being able to contribute to the community. I have fun interacting with players via fax communications and enjoy being able to deal with problems that arise ingame when I'm online - particularly for the Australian timezone's playerbase, which is undermodded compared to peak hours.

One of the biggest encouragements for me during my tenure as a mod was positive player feedback - I like knowing I can contribute positively to peoples' games. Working with the staff team was a lot of fun and I'd love to get back into it.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Being polite, patient, and a good face for the community - since players are often at odds with staff, it helps to be pleasant.

Anything else you want to add?
    I thoroughly enjoyed being a mod for CM and would appreciate the chance to try it again.

I realise that as an Smod I made mistakes, but those are mistakes I've learned from which won't be repeated. I hope you'll allow me a chance to prove it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided to withdraw this application.
    Last edited by Mercadier; 09-08-2022 at 03:16 PM.
    captain bill sutton, corporate sellout and roleplayer extraordinaire