User Tag List

Thread: Motion Detector Fence w/ Real Time Reactive Map

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motion Detector Fence w/ Real Time Reactive Map

https://ibb.co/fnPwQcD

This will teach you how to build a Motion Detector Fence, with a real-time reactive 'map', with the map 'lighting up' whenever a xeno(or anyone without USCM IFF) passses within X tiles of the Proximity Sensor Signaller(these parameters can be set yourself).

To build this example you will need:

1 Table
    8 Signallers
    4 Igniters
    4 Proximity Sensors

The map I'm basing this example on is LZ 1 of LV, where there is essentially West(Nexus) North(Cargo) East(SE Jungle Flank) South(S Jungle Flank)

In this example, we'll say S-I and S-P.

Combine 4 signallers with 4 proximity sensors.
    Combine 4 signallers with 4 igniters.
    In this example, we'll say S-I and S-P.
    You now have 4 S-Ps and 4-Is.

Place one S-P each at North West East and South- each of these has a matching S-I, they BOTH must have the SAME signal on the SAME frequency.

Place a table toward the center of LZ, or heck, in CIC if you really want to. Place each of the four S-Is on the table relative to where you placed the S-Ps: The reason we place it on the table is to build a 'map' of all the S-Ps- any time the real-world S-P is set off, its matching S-I on the map will ignite.

Once set off, it's up to you to reset it- either way someone will need to check on the signaller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of like this idea in theory but I see a flaw in it. If something say trips the sensor, what's stopping it from seeing the sensor and just waiting for you to wander over to get ambushed? If you already don't have the personnel to post a guard, you're likely going to be the only guy going over there to reset it, prime time to get merced. Also, could you imagine trying to explain to a bravo how this works and the reset it? Also if you are in CIC and let's say this goes off perfectly. You now then have to tell bravo that there is movement at point A, bravo then has to actually read comms, and then wander over there to check the signaler, then reset it. By then the cades are already being melted or slashed up.

This is a complicated solution to an easy to solve problem. Post a guard at the cade line, even better if they got an MD, they can then tell bravo directly through comms things like; direction, number, type of xenos they saw, AND prevent any cade damage (A better solution in almost every way). If you think hey, I'll just put these outside the cade line then, ok it'll be melted then in 10 seconds flat as soon as the next xeno wanders by who can. A cool idea in theory but in practicality it will be super underwhelming, fiddly, straight up not be worth the time investment needed to get this up and running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to present the concept in the simplest to execute & explain iteration. That way it's something a marine can definitely build and get working within 1-2 rounds.

There are solutions to all the problems you bring up- more elaborate setups for one, however that makes it both more prep intensive and a lot more difficult to explain, and a chore to begin to understand, let alone execute. Another is best practices, but like, that's a live and learn thing that will come with time and experience.

Worried about the enemy melting your prox-signaller?

Keep it inside the cades. Change its settings to multiple tiles.

Worried about the enemy seeing your prox-sensor and deducing that you have a table built inside your CIC and FOB that the big brass are using to monitor non-USCM movement and from there reverse-engineer your fence into a marine death trap?

Put it inside a bag, inside the cades. Can't see it, can't melt it, still works.

If you wanted to get exceptionally elaborate, you could build a clear airlock, and under this clear airlock you place its own 1 tile sensing prox-signaller, which has a matching one on the map table and a matching one in its airlock, causing the airlock to close itself and bolt to protect the cade from further damage and or if it's outside of the cade, crushing the xeno. But that's even more difficult to explain, more difficult to execute, and you'd probably want to build an autolathe on FOB to build the airlock electronics, signallers, igniters, et al.

Also, there's no need to explain all this nonsense to bravo or anyone else. You say: I set up a Motion Detector Map, if these spark, go check the corresponding flank- Label them East Flank etc if you wanna dummy proof it as much as you can.