User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medal Expansion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medal Expansion

Howdy there fellas. I've noticed a distinct lack of medals being worked on, and I believe a couple small new things could be added so it's a little nicer/easier to award medals to groups. Perhaps having 'unit citations' awardable to an individual squad, the IO team, tank crew, pilots, etc. for outstanding service in their field.

Real life examples can be found here, and might make a nice addition to give a nice little award to one squad who played a critical role in the mission.

I'd love to hear yalls opinions about this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medals are fine as is IMO, though touching on that I do need to focus on giving out more medals. as by the time marine majors end for me I haven't gotten to giving medals.
    Kaitlynn Lawson The Captain: https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=18802
    Alicia The Motherly Synthetic: https://cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17406
    Ja'akir Aki The Messenger of the Gods: //showthrea...or-Application
    Staff history:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think medals are more or less fine as-is. I think adding more would just overcomplicate things and make the actual purpose of medals unnecessary (because they do somewhat have different purposes/criteria). Here's how I personally give out medals (forgive me if I confuse the names a bit):

• Medal of Distinguished Conduct; for people that do a good job without necessarily displaying any sort of heroism or sacrifice. I'd give this to SOs/XOs who contribute greatly to the OP, mortar crew, the RO, stuff like that.
    • Bronze Heart Medal; for people who are either wounded or killed in actions not necessarily worth a medal of valor. Say a marine dies in a hard pursuit of the queen, or a marine loses a leg saving a marine or some such.
    • Medal of Valor; for particularly heroic actions above and beyond the call of duty. Racking up a lot of good kills, leading charges or pushes into enemy territory, contributing to killing the queen, the works.
    • Medal of Exceptional Heroism; the highest honor a marine can hope to receive. I'd give this for directly turning the tide in our favor/decisive actions which give us the winning edge. Killing a queen is the typical example of this. I've only given out one of these in my CO rounds so far, for an absolute chad of a marine who trapped the queen in the cades and killed her. Helped us get the win.

Basically, with these examples in mind, all my bases are covered. I wouldn't see the need to issue out any other sorts of medals. Although the unit citation seems interesting I guess. Yes, I had fun formatting this post.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medals are good as they are. The issue is almost nobody in CIC cares about them. SOs don't report noteworthy things to the CO, the XO and CO don't actively monitor for Marines deserving of a medal, things like that. CIC has more important stuff to deal with during the round, so they don't have time to make medals.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah if they introduced group/squad medals, delta would get them nonstop for controlling the pace of most games. I think medals are fine as is, adding more would remove the satisfaction of earning one. If anything I feel XO should be able to issue medals, but I get the reason why only whitelisted COs can (giving out lrp/bs medals). Eh
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO some medals could be granted by XOs, specifically the lower ones, with the caveat that they'll show up with a distinctive marker such as * on the endround medal info.

And perhaps only allow XO to grant medals if there is no CO or the CO has been dead for 30 minutes or similar. The latter part could be hard to implement, but throwing around ideas so eh.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to churn out a shitload of medals as captain but some autist reported me for it and now I cant do that anymore unless they are generic and gay.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imheretohelp View Post
    I used to churn out a shitload of medals as captain but some autist reported me for it and now I cant do that anymore unless they are generic and gay.
    Imagine reporting the contents of a medal in a 2d spessmam game. I get it's a mrp server, but damn that's petty. The design of cm just does not allow fun sometimes
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be ok with granting the XO an ability to award bronze or distinguished conduct medals... But i get why that's not a thing.

On that same note, I'd HIGHLY approve a way for the XO and SOs to 'markup' marines for commendations ( like a pre-req ) to medals. Thus enabling them to recommend medals to the CO without having to write them down much later after the fact. It'd help if the commendation system then connected the 'commended' names to the CO console for medals with the space for a reason to give the medal.

So while that suggestion wouldn't give a end game text space for commended medals by regular officers... It'd put in a system for the SOs and XO to easily and quickly write up and mark those who should be recommended.... While simultaneously allowing to the CO to easily see who his officers recommend for a medal.

Bonus points if a medal made based on a commendation automatically includes the recommending officer's name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree a whole lot with that, Vispainius. If the SO consoles could have the recommendation typed out and the CO just had to hit approve or decline, more medals for valid reasons could be written out and awarded. XO being able to approve some of the lesser ones is also nice provided the CO dies on the ground like he usually does.