Their BYOND Key
    Unknown, Firecharge123, BlackDragon813
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    6 AM Eastern
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Preserve the RP and enjoyment of the server
    Remain Professional, no matter what happens
    Description of the incident
    This complaint regards two incidents, the #ic-announcements after-action report, and the in-game event led by an unknown staff member.

As can be read in the evidence section, Doctor Black, the pediatrician of the child patient "Timmy" speaks in an absurd, brutal tone. The entire note is demeaning, talking about how his "little heart gave out", and ends in an even darker note, talking about how the orphan's next of kin are all dead.

Continuing, there is a secondary post, made by Firecharge, written in a narrator-style perspective. It is poorly written, and ends with the grimdark note "He never made enough money for his surgery" and "Died three days later"

Both announcements (which are supposed to be written in an in-game tone) are completely psychopathic, a doctor would never speak in such a way in a public address, mocking a child with terminal illness. The usage of certain terms like "his little heart gave out" make the text seem even more cruel for the sake of it. This does not fit the tone of our server at all, and paints a horrible image for CM overall.

Going forward, it goes on to directly mock real life institutions like Make-a-Wish, which I do not have to say is ridiculous. This is a server with totally fictional lore, and creating an OFFICIAL event to mock a charity institution, along with terminal/severely ill children and their struggles, again makes this server seem like a 4chan parody.

These posts have originated from an event in-game, featuring Timmy visiting the Almayer and getting to fire pulse-guns, visiting several areas of the ship. I do not have much information about this, but I would kindly request the logs for this event to be pulled, to see if the event, like the announcements made after it, were also completely insane and left of center.

Finalizing in a personal note, I really disliked to see this in our official server, much less a real event and official post by our server moderators and administrators. This is really disappointing, and one of the few times CM has made me feel genuine anger. Out of all types of events that could have happened, I personally believe that this one was one of the worst ever to be ran on this server. This is sickening, and disgusting.
    EvidenceWhat resolution are you seeking?
    A suspension or demotion for those involved. The trialmod should get his trial reviewed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the intent of the original event plan we had in mind, it was not meant to be distasteful in any manner, and in actuality it was mean to be a semi-wholesome event. However due to the nature of the community during the event, it was taken a little bit less serious and was turned in a direction that was more chaotic that we thought to begin with. (This usually is most events to be fair.) While I do not condone the behavior of some of the marines during the event, the IC announcements provided were not meant to be directed in anyway to be a sick-parody of foundations such as make-a-wish, and were supposed to be a wrap-up to the story line in which was about a touching story of a child who's last intentions and wishes were to be a marine for the day. But again, due to the nature and chaos of the members of the community taking things lightly, it was poorly portrayed as a satire of real issues by the members of the community.

While I am fully responsible of the announcement I had added purely as a wrap-up to the storyline of Little Timmy, it was not meant to be in any way gross at all. If you read it within the context of the situation, this was the message that I had used to end off the story for those wondering what had happened. It was about Little Timmy enjoying the fun he had in his final moments on board the Alamayer, although a bit crazy, had a good time for his final moments. The character portrayed from Little Timmy, again, was not a poke at anyone who genuinely has an issue like this, but was a fundraiser for his issues, and a final oorah to his unfortunate life he lived.

The situation was a fundraiser started by the Corporate Liaison, and following with the story line, we agreed that it would be an interesting event to run, having a real fundraiser for a real person that got to see, first hand, a real vessel of the USCM. The comments about "Didn't raise enough money for his surgery" and "Died 3 days later" was a running theme of the Childs situation, involving that he would rather spend his final moments seeing the one thing he thought would be cool (touring a real marine ship) instead of living his final moments miserable. It was a fundraiser for his surgical procedure to make him fully well, however due to occurrences on the Alamayer, unfortunately did not raise enough funding for the process, and subsequently died at an accelerated rate due to the immense happenings on the Alamayer. (Being force fed alcohol and cigarettes' by the marines.)

As for the Pediatrician Dr. Black, he could've been portrayed in quite a different tone, however due to the morbid nature of the situation, the wording of him was debatably acceptable, speaking of the lack of family members to contact (this would be something brought up in a message from the doctor if this were real. This is a case that cannot be controlled, however would be notified about in a summary.) as Little Timmy was an orphan. Mr. Black even mentioned that a marine ship is no place to send children for a make-a-wish place. Mr. Black wrote this message in a touching way, and meant no harm whatsoever in the way he wrote it.

I would like to emphasize that this was not in any way a poke fun, satire or parody in any sick sense about people with real terminal illnesses or disabilities, and I apologize for any actions that caused any discomfort or affect to any individuals that saw this as offensive. A majority of the events that followed that involved the passing of Little Timmy were not those of the staff members involved, although due to the right of narration it could've been a miraculous healing, it was thought fitting to allow their passing. I completely agree that the nature of the announcement(s) following the event were morbid, and somewhat very distasteful, and not acceptable.

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, as the person who played Dr. Black, thank you for your concern.

I feel that some important context is needed here to fully understand the background of the scene that occurred. Originally there was a CL that was going through the Almayer fleecing marines under the guise of raising money for sick kids. To my knowledge he had taken somewhere around $7.5k from various marines as he went through his spiel and took money with zero intent to actually donate it to any given cause. It was decided to actually send a child character to visit to force the CL into actually following through with his “cause”.

Originally this was played straight as we had planned to just do a sight seeing tour with the CL as the head of our party. This was done in a way that did not mock or ridicule the child. Instead, what developed over time was the number of marines on the ship who would come to effectively harass the child. Such things include but are not limited to:
    • Force feeding the child sake
    • Force feeding the child from a dip cup
    • Self-detonating via chem dispenser under the guise of a “showing him a magic trick”
    • Giving the child a MAXCAP grenade
    • Forcing the child to smoke cigarettes
    • Pulling the child out of his wheelchair
    • The above happening while the CMP watched and did nothing.

It should be noted that I responded appropriately, harshly chastising marines who did this. As his caretaker I was not at all happy that the above things were happening to the child I was taking care of. Also begging the MPs to put an end to such things. Neither Fire nor I planned or asked for any of the above, but as it is in RP/Improv, if it happens you have to go along with the scene and keep things flowing.

While on this area I -do- want to call out a few specific players who were incredibly awesome and did stuff that I had hoped to see more of. Specifically, the XO Chyler who signed an autograph and wrote Timmy an incredibly awesome (and formatted) heartfelt note. As well as the RO and the team in Req who not only ordered toys but wrapped them in gift boxes too. Those interactions made for really fun touching moments that I was hoping to see more of.

In regards to the IC-Announcement: In these scenarios, it is expected that “Everyone had a great time” regardless of if everyone had a great time or not. Given the dystopian nature of W-Y and the setting this takes place in, it is likely also “expected” that things go smoothly as to not cause a PR disturbance for The Company. The backhanded, and curt comments Dr. Black made were leveled at what he viewed as poor treatment at the hands of the USMC without explicitly causing a scene. While Timmy’s enjoyment was up to Timmy, his caretaker was not amused with what was allowed to go down, and his statement deliberately framed the child’s last days as something punctuated by what the marines had done, all while keeping a corporately required cheery tone to not upset the status quo.

Fax and Form Generator 5000

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before this report was posted staff members involved with the event came forwards and apologized for how the messages in ic announcements came across.

Nobody had the intention of making an event that parodied foundations such as make a wish, because of this both staff members who posted messages in ic announcements have been given warnings and moving forwards any events of a similar nature are outright banned.

I would like to give one last apology on behalf of the staff team. Report is accepted.