0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kuusday - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Kuusday

What is your discord username and handle?
    JESSE.#0302

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-05

Player Name You Use Most?
    J.D. Bishop

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    No.

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I would say I am familiar with command positions, mainly squad leader as that is the leadership position most of my hours are in.

However, my leadership position experience isn't limited there. I played quite a bit of SO with 48.9 hours in the role as well as 40.5 hours in XO where I have had to run operations both solo and alongside other players. I know how to properly load OB shells including reading the fuel requirements each round since they vary. In addition, I also have knowledge on operating overwatch consoles. Assigning aSLs when needed, responding to calls on comms, directing Marine movement, and calling out those recoverable in areas like the general backline or cave flanks.

I am well aware of how requisitions work, despite my low hours as CT in the role. The acquiring of FOB coordinates, budget management, loading crates, and running the line are things I can handle after preparation in CIC when necessary.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    40.5 hours as of this application being posted.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    90 hours as of this application being posted.

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    J.D.’s parents are successful and wealthy. As such, they wanted the same for him and pressed him to become a lawyer. Instead of doing that, he chose to enlist and eventually started to pursue an officer’s career with all the goading from peers and superiors recommending him alike. Him choosing to pursue an officer’s career is his way of showing his parents that he doesn’t need to go to a fancy school or wear a fancy tie all day to be successful.

Despite him feeding the drive to prove his parents wrong, he found himself developing a responsibility to the men and women under his command. He used to be in their position, some of which he may have bled with at some point. He wants to show that not all officers are fancy titles, medals, and comfy arm chair academy graduates that flaunt their exploits. Instead he’s there to show that even those who are forged in the meat grinder can crawl through the cracks and rise to the top.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Despite his upbringing, J.D. fit right into the Marine lifestyle. Showing desirable leadership skills and willingness to take charge whenever the previous leader would fall to incompetence or death. His parents, however, continued to pester him about their wants for his future, so it fueled his drive and gave him that final push he needed to take the promotions and start climbing the rank. It’s here where his true skills shined, from directing a squad, to directing a platoon, a company, and then finally a battalion. He’s got the grit and the dedication to reach the higher echelon.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

SNIPPET: With how his superior sat at the desk scrolling through the information displayed on the personal data terminal, J.D. knew this wouldn’t be an ordinary conversation with a high ranking officer in the USCMC.

Bishop’s arms remained crossed behind his back with his boots spread apart, chest forward and chin up as he waited impatiently for the elder officer to explain what the point of this meeting was. Bishop’s eye briefly darts down to glimpse at the papers set atop an open beige folder, barely managing to eye the name and serial listed due to his height and hindered peripheral.

Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    I feel it’s appropriate to even consider a pardon if I know I can trust them to not repeat the crime, AND if I believe the person in question is not a threat to marines or other staff, and if they are critical to the operation at hand. An example would be them being the only medic or comtech who will be needed to treat wounded and fortify the FOB respectively. Even then, I can only pardon minor and major crimes. The latter I’d have to give a lot of thought considering the nature of the category.

Major crimes like subterfuge and misuse of authority are things that I likely wouldn’t pardon for, but I’d still hear the accused out on his side of the story, then gather more evidence from the MP and affected party before making a decision.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    I believe it’d be appropriate to battlefield execute someone if they were actively threatening the lives of marines, shipside staff, or myself. Another case is if they’re actively trying to hinder groundside operations via breaking cades that engineers make with the intention of sabotaging the FOB, or pushing welder fuel tanks into marine lines when there’s lets say, a spitter around, with the intent to have the spitter spit at the fuel tank. I’d try to apply a warning in each case, preferably a verbal one.

However if the individual is restrained/in custody, I will not be able to battlefield execute them as per the code of conduct unless it’s delta alert/hijack.

Personally, I would prefer the individual be arrested by the MP if possible. The reason being is because a BE will certainly end someone’s round when performed, but being arrested by an MP sometimes won’t.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former CO council member for what it's worth nowadays, I can confidently say +1 to this.
    JD Bishop isn't one of those people known for causing issues, nor is he overtly toxic. I don't expect him to cause any issues in the future.

Do remember, the BE is a LRP mean to LRP issues, the BE is probably going to be what you will be reported for as a CO, if nothing else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exceptional grunt, skilled Squad Leader, charismatic leader and a pleasant person.

"A great man doesn't seek to lead. He's called to it, and he answers"

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been a blast watching JD develop as a character over the last year or so that I've been playing CM, from my interactions with him as Lana, Pete and Juno.

Watching Kuusday take steps towards a reputable squad leader and captain has been a wonderful experience. He's an attentive Captain who's never brushed off information he receives and actively ensures that the messenger knows that the message was received. He understands combat well, knows how and where his marines should go to get the best opportunity to take down the enemy.

As a squad leader, I've seen Kuusday split his squad up into fireteams as a Bravo squad leader and issue orders to those fireteams, using them where he needs to ensure that the FOB stays defended but whilst also being on the offensive if something were to come test it. Its a great way to utilise fireteams and I appreciate that from him. As a Delta squad leader, he's actively watching over the flow of the battle and then directs his squad in a manner to best get the upper hand on the enemy, performing flanks and going to support other squads or marines he sees or hears that are in need of help. He actively briefs his squad after briefing and attempts to organise them before landing and I can't say I've ever had a round where I thought he failed his role as a squad leader or captain.

I think he'll do well as a CO, he stays outta trouble, he's a great roleplayer and story writer and I've no doubts he'll be an excellent fit for the whitelist.

+1

The Helllbanian CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a veteran command player, long time CO and old council member I will leave my opinion here.

JD Bishop knows what he is doing as command, has a plan, clear awareness and determination to see things through. He's decisive in his action and not an insecure Commander that will end up tangled in ****. This makes him a reliable and an effective leadership figure.

Overall, you could attempt interacting with people more in terms of RP immersion in the setting, but nowadays its really rare to get such opportunities so that is understandable.

Regardless, in my experience from various command positions SO/CO having JD as an XO was having someone reliable that you could count on when needed. He can handle an operation independently and always follows through with a plan which he pragmatically adjusts to whatever is required.

I support this application with a big green +1. JD has character, and character is rare.

Whitelisted Captain TyroneDadWhisperer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having played with command over a good few rounds I can confidently say that will fit right in as a CO, reacts quickly to situations as well as problems that arise shipside and roleplay around these situations

He has also played an extensive amount of SL, which more then shows his knowledge of groundside

+1
    Synthetic Unit Adrian

Former CO Councillor 21/03/21 - 7/11/21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had JD several times as my XO and lot of times as SL, he knows command intricacies and CIC as whole, good leader, saw him play MP role to learn SOP and ML in detail, and all around good RPer. Has my +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will preface this by saying I do not possess the CO whitelist. I have, however, played with J.D in a few rounds, and wish to give my input regarding his abilities and what I think of him as a player, as little as that opinion may mean or as biased as it may seem. For that reason I also won't vote since I don't believe I can nor do I feel comfortable doing so. I will, however, provide my opinion on the kind of player J.D is, and my experiences with them.

(I also assume this doesn't breach Rule 6 as I feel it is constructive feedback and personal anecdotes of my interactions with them.)

SQUAD LEADING

I have seen J.D/Kuusday, who I will just call J.D from here on out, as Squad Leader multiple times. In all of those times, I have noticed a few traits that I, personally, consider important in a squad leader - those being decisiveness of action, independence, and inspiring loyalty in those around him.

In terms of decisiveness of action and independence, those are obviously important traits for any squad leader to have. I very distinctly recall a few rounds involving this - for one, a round on Solaris Ridge, during which the majority of our backline was wiped out due to a lack of proper communication from the XO regarding this. The XO, in general, was relatively absent throughout the operation - and while I believe we lost, if I recall correctly, J.D still lead the surviving members of his squad carefully and with attention to detail, and most importantly, an attention to the battlefield around him. This also involved him manually attempting to rout xenomorphs along while evacuating others back from the frontline at North Marshalls back to the FOB and to the Bar.

I genuinely believe that as Squad Leader he would inspire other privates to play the game again with moments such as this and his ability to independently lead the operation from the front in such a way, and his ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations such as the collapse of the frontline and potentially useless subordinates.

For inspiring loyalty, well.. that I can touch more on in my roleplay section, but he IS a well known figure, and that reputation definitely lends itself to others listening to you - however, he also does not take suicidal orders. I believe he strikes a middleground between being aggressive and too passive - taking actual calculated risks and attempting to do what is best for the enjoyment of everyone around him. I also feel this lends in to how he roleplays his character, which has been almost nothing but positive in almost all of my interactions.

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

I will admit, I have seen J.D less as Executive Officer than Squad Leader due to my own timezone - I typically sleep roughly an hour before he is on and have university or am asleep during those times when he is on - however, in my experience, they have lead competently and effectively. They do not fall prone to the trap that many a SO or XO occasionally fall in to of tunnel visioning and beginning to spam abcd - or at least, not as much as many others I have seen. They are also highly capable of running CiC solo, with few staff officers. I distinctly recall an event on an LV-624 round involving this where, after a failed push in to caves when we got repelled. I do not recall if we won or lost, however their WAS an effective maintenance of cohesion among squads and fast relaying of information; and I do not believe that a single moment went by where the position of the queen was not known.

Overall, I also consider them to be an exemplary Executive Officer, from my opinion of playing as a corpsman under them - they are capable of fast and accurate information relay without bloating it, can adapt to situations and understand the limitations of marine forces from playing as squad leader, but most importantly, I feel like their is one factor more important than both aspects of their skill.

ROLEPLAY

J.D Bishop is very HRP, and this message was not sponsored by Pepsi Cola.

On a more serious note, though, J.D does roleplay well. I have experienced roleplay with them in a myriad of roles; with them as PFC, SL, or any number of ranks, and me typically just playing LCpl or some other support role. They roleplay with almost everyone in a squad, though - attempting to initiate it and doing so even during 'dead air', and remaining in character with their mannerisms and similar. They have requested, for instance, that my character makes a squad wide prayer in order to protect those in it, and in a more recent memory, accurately followed rules of engagement for an unidentified hostile target. They did not fire or engage on it until hostile intent was determined, and in my mind, handled the small, end of round event incredibly well, and exactly as I would expect from an actual marine. Their was also another instance of them taking ultrazine, and organic roleplay - no matter how small - is far superior to any long-form story in my mind. The small back and forth dialogues regarding drug use, them requesting my character to recover objects and burn them from under their bunk - and their responses to my character being upset that they have taken a potentially lethal drug - cement in my mind that they are more than capable of roleplay.

I have seen them be somewhat concerned of the potential of them being denied due to their supposed 'PFC mindset' - but I personally do not see it. What J.D does possess, however, is the knowledge of when to drop frivolous roleplay that is non-essential - for instance, when to not give roleplay orders - in order to prioritize the enjoyment of others.

I have also, more importantly however, read another story they have written involving their character J.D - and have seen traits demonstrated in the story demonstrated in game. Also, the fact that they're a predator council member is pretty strong credence to the fact they're capable of roleplay, no matter how hard people may wish to shit on the predator whitelist or any whitelist in my opinion. I respect many a CO and players for their roleplay ability - 50rem, Quickload, Nautical, Grub/Woob, Maxina, many other non-CO whitelisted players or players with other whitelists - and would definitely consider J.D to be up their in terms of both gameplay ability and how they roleplay.

OVERALL

Their are a lot of people I consider good players in CM, in so many ways - some in how they roleplay, or how they game, or what they know, and many that I cannot remember off the top of my head, or who are not whitelisted - TheeBiggest, SpartanBobby, Quickload, etcetera.

I definitely consider J.D to be one of them - in both a mechanical sense, a gameplay and knowledge sense, and a roleplay sense. Despite the fact that I don't possess a whitelist and am a relatively unknown member of the community in my own opinion, I genuinely do believe that they embody all of the aspects of a good leader.

Also I read Sun Tzu's The Art Of War once and it said something like "J.D Bishop bring victory" I donno it's been a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may not have the CO Whitelist but a memorable interaction I had with JD was, believe or not was him as Bravo SL, a FOBBIT! I was active as Bravo SG and how he ran Bravo squad during an LV-624 round was something to take notes of. May had some of what we considered robustos in the squad but overall, his leadership skills is what's making me type this response. Not only we held off the siege but ended up pushing them back until the Xenomorphs were made extinct due to his tactical flank he pulled off on the Hive. I'm giving this mans a +1 for his dedication as a leader.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exceptional leader. Top knowledge of ground command and competency in the CIC. Longtime player who can stay consistent in-character as well.

+1