0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

janspader - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    janspader

What is your discord username and handle?
    ๐’ฎ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“Ž ๐’ฎ๐’พ๐“๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡๐“๐‘œ๐’ธ๐“€๐‘’#3640

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+8

Player Name You Use Most?
    Celestine 'Cherub' Chyler

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appealโ€™s verdict next to the link.
    Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    N/A

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I would argue that I am quite proficient with Command Positions. I may not have the most hours as SO but I do have a decent amount of SL hours and XO hours. I am also quite proficient in Marine Law despite my limited MP hours due to the amount of appeals I have handled. I am also quite aware of the roles of most department heads although I will argue that I have the most hours department head wise as RO.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    I have approximately more than 600 hours as Executive Officer

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    My Squad Leader hours are alot lesser compared to my Executive Officer, at a modest 49 hours

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    Years of service serving under numerous Commanding Officers, both on warships such as both Conestoga and the later Bougainville class attack transports as well as on planetary garrisons, earned her the recommendations from several fellow officers. Originally, Celestine was hesitant, quite content to serve as a loyal executive officer under whomever she was assigned to. However the encouragement from her fellow officers and friends within the marines finally made her take the next step in her career with the USCM. Realising that this also meant Celestine could better take care of her men sealed her decision to accept a promotion from High Command and a command of her own, realising that her last CO's words to her, "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" made her square her shoulders and walk into a uncertain future, given the cold war between the UPP and the UA.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Celestine came from old money. Born in the United Americas to a British father, she grew up mostly in the United States in the quiet forests of Oregon with the occasional summers spent at her father's family estate in the Scottish Highlands. A disagreement with her mother's highly traditional military family had her sent off to the Military as a form of appeasement for her Maternal Grandfather.

Celestine started her career out of Officer Cadet School as a Lieutenant, serving on the USS Chesterfield as a Staff Officer. A few minor engagements with a couple of pirates saw her promoted to Executive Officer, skippering a few light corvettes and patrolling shipping lanes for piracy on the edges of the Core Worlds. Dutiful execution of her duties ensured her commendations from her superiors overseeing her sector.

The rise of the CLF threat in the Neroid Sector saw her transferred to Fort Virtue as a temporary assignment as no other ship was available for her at the moment. However, low recruitment numbers and rising numbers of threats and public outcry in the Outer Rim due to years of neglect from Megacorporations such as Weyland Yutani, Seegson and many others caused the Outer Worlds to view Earth as a increasingly distant Government where they had little to no representation. This meant UAAC forces were often stretched thin trying to cover multiple bases and tackling numerous problems.

The boiling point finally happened on Netheon IV. Home to a strategically located developed colony meant as a centre of industry and distribution of goods back to the Core Worlds, the CLF found the colony of Virtue to be a prime target for seizure in an attempt to disrupt UA power projection capability into the Neroid Sector.

The Battle for Virtue fortunately ended in a USCM victory thanks to timely reinforcements from the USS Saratoga. Celestine having taken command due to the incapacitation of the Command team of the garrison was noted by High Command for a promotion after finding a vacancy for a Commanding Officer aboard a ship in the Third Fleet.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Scenarios

When do you believe itโ€™s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    When the crime is Major or Minor, and if it is in the best interest of the operation provided the criminal in question is not in the brig for a very good reason.
    For example. A doctor might have been overwhelmed by the demands of Medbay before deployment and accidentally messed up the custom chemicals he was producing for medics, causing a casualty. Arguably this is Neglect of Duty, however it is an understandable case. As such to avoid a lengthy appeal as doctors are always needed I would pardon the doctor as long as there is evidence to suggest his story is truthful. An announcement including the name, reason of pardon and crimes of the marine in question must then be performed. This is also provided the marine is not a repeat offender that I have pardoned previously within the same operation.

When do you believe itโ€™s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    I find that Battlefield Executions are best used when a person presents a serious threat to the operation in a short time. I believe it should only be used sparingly, such as for example, a researcher experimenting on Xenomorphs without the approval and knowledge of the Command team and refusing to stand down and even attempt to defend his experimentation as such actions could have very dire outcomes for the marines as mishandling of the situation could cause a shipside xenomorph outbreak that could spiral out of control with most of the ship's marine complement planetside. This would very quickly result in the marines losing their support base aboard and being cut off and destroyed groundside, trapped in FoB with no where else to go. However I would only BE if I have no alternative such as the researcher refusing to stand down and comply with an arrest and thus showing no remorse for his actions. BEs must also be performed with methods that do not cause collateral damage. OBs, Mortars, CAS and even grenades are not allowed as BE options. An announcement must there after be made informing of the reason, name of marine and crime. BEs must be performed in person and not by proxy, it must also be done in a humane method that does not prolong suffering and as such firearms are preferred. BEs also cannot be performed on a suspect in custody unless on Delta alert(Hijack). A suspect is in custody the moment they are in cuffs.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have played many rounds with you and I do not believe you are suited to the CO whitelist, your announcements are often outdated and inaccurate, you seem to lack tactical and situational awareness when playing and ultimately do not seem to have improved at CIC despite your 600 xo hours. Your ability to perform overwatch is also quite lacking and in most of the rounds I have played with you, you seem almost anchored to the centre cic console solely looking at a single marine's helmet cam.

Your propensity for misusing LOOC also does not reflect well upon this application.

-1. You need to majorly improve at XO and SO, particularly SO.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC you as your XO character played XO for almost an entire day straight (and collapsed mid round), that kind of stuff although it shows you love the role is really unhealthy and I donโ€™t believe that kind of obsessiveness would be good thing for the co wl (just my honest opinion). Not -1ing or +1ing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was a minor panic episode by me because I was due to leave for Australia. I wasn't exactly in the best mental state back then with a friendship trouble either. If you want I can DM you and we can talk about it like I did with Tater. But I'm happy to say that I'm on the mend, that relationship trouble has been fixed and I'm now spending time with friends, CM and other stuff. Thanks for your concern!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can verify these claims. -1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen Celestine many times as XO, Due to the amount of hours she amounted in that role, Also saw her as SL or squad member, and fight alongside her many times. She is a good leader that will also take the time to RP when possible and pay attention to her fellow marines and comms. As XO, being able to handle CIC properly, even if she is alone, with proper communication and tactics. I can only speak for myself but it gives me confidence when she is at command. Thus said, i've also seen her fuck up on some occasions, or making a mistake, but i liked that before anyone said anything she was the first to speak up, alert everyone, and take immediate responsibility for her actions, Leading everyone to safety and being the one to stay when that happened, and going down with the ship herself to let the rest leave. +1

I also do hope the previous incidents mentioned, while i didn't witness them myself, it shows that she really love the role, but i hope she is doing better and not so obsessed with it, taking proper care of herself, as that could be unhealthy if it reached the point of collapsing mid round.

Whitelisted Predator johnravioli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a unhealthy obsession with this game, you're wasting your life away by spending sometimes more than 20 hours a day playing XO. Sometimes you're a "eh" commander to sometimes just utter garbage. I'm sorry but I just cant support your addiction. -1
    Harry Howard,
    Predator - Clan Leader Atuudh Bo'ytill
    Leader of the Bo'ytill Clan

Professional Mateba GunSlingah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Song here

disclaimer: this might be a big one because i've seen so much discussion on you prior to you even making an application, so i've quite a bit to share after digesting what I know

For starters, ima just outright say it because it's been brought up before: I think its fair for me to leave any comments about mental health out- we aint psychologists and we certainly cannot diagnose the mental state of a player. It'd be bad taste IMO to judge Shay's app based on mental status. I think by now, players know about certain events that happened with Shay during recent playtime as XO; while concerning, I feel that we must ultimately judge Shay based on her performance as XO and any other roles applicable to the WL, and only that. It is only fair. How one chooses to spend their day is not for us to judge imo, but by the same token Shay, you must be judged accordingly to your performance in CiC and anywhere else leading up to this application.

That outtta the way, It is without a doubt that Shay holds a massive tenure over XO. It is probably the most defining feature of the application, and that can be taken a number of ways. Coming in at 600 hours is no joke, and that is commendable on its own.

I will say, there ARE a multitude of mistakes that you've made as of recent that i've noted that despite this all this playtime, were easily avoidable. There were a few things that did hit my confidence a little bit in my support to you: Cryoing as XO when CO(s) didn't let you deploy or the CO didn't deploy and the LOOC incidents. With my playtime being dwarfed by yours, even I never recently came close to making those mistakes and im dumb as hell at times

Speaking to you honestly, I feel that your performance quality has taken a hit as of late, but playing CiC CM for hours on end will do that to anyone. Mistakes happen, and it just so happens that you are playing in one of the more prolific roles in the game for everyone to see, and so, you will come across A LOT comments/opinions about your gameplay way more than any XO right now imo. Ironically, I think you should play XO less, and try seeing the the more recent Marines from different angles other than command during the app process; you might just come back to CiC re-energized with different viewpoints and more individuals to know/interact with because sitting in CiC all day means you can't really expose yourself to other players other than big red words and rainbow ,abcd. It's not listed as a hard requirement for CO, but interacting with Marines and being more well known than just a CiC FNAF player helps immensely with any application. I miss your poetry also c:

There was DEFINITELY a time a few months back prior where if you had submitted an app then, it would've been such a massive shoe in, much like J.D's app, zero cap, i will die on this hill

Heres a few positives though, I personally don't see you griefing the CO WL on purpose and I don't think your behavior in-game is something to 100 percent deny an app over, and I do like that you take responsibility for your mistakes (FOB OB.) I personally still think you are capable of manning CIC, and I respect that you've been doing solo CiC latetime lowpop as of recent, and thats good, especially when no one else would stand up and take the mantle. There are rounds where I definitely think you still excel in what you do, and I am very confident in saying i'd still be happy to have you as XO and not think about how XO is gonna grief the round for the sake of being 'quirky.' I also love our little interactions about the vending machine and our running joke with that, and im 100 percent sure you can do that with other marines as well c:

All things considered, i'm still honestly gonna +1 this, but it's a shaky +1 and can be swayed with what other people have to say based on their experience with you.
    Last edited by MayorofKenya; 09-29-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone here has been waiting for this. I really dont need words to say why +1

Maintainer Project Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't care how much you play the game by itself. If you would like to play the game 24/7 forever then that's fine.

The potential secondary effects of this are what I am concerned with.

I have seen you do RP well. I have seen you actively command and stay on the ball. I have seen a Chyler that is capable of handling the standards of the CO whitelist.

The problem is it is wildly inconsistent. Whether it's burn out or just playing on automatic or whatever it's not OK.

Playing on auto pilot with a whitelist role is a huge no-go for me. You should be actively engaged and into what you are doing and I do not see that consistently.

The large amount of use of LOOC is also concerning.

What I want to see is a Chyler that is actively engaged with what she is doing and interacting with others within the universe.

Do not feel like you need to spam playtime to achieve this. It's not worth the burnout or the stress.