User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: janspader - Commanding Officer Application

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a good XO but you play so much your RP and Command Ability degrade from burnout and fatigue. If it weren't for that you'd be an easy +1, but as it stands I cannot +1 you in good faith. I'll be more than happy to +1 when this has improved.

-1 For now.

Major James Blackbriar of the USCM & W-Y Joint Colonial Operations vessel; USS Black Gold of 502nd Engineering Corps 2nd Division 3rd Fleet 3rd Division 15th Bat. "The Mudskippers"

Passport
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to preface this by saying I am not commenting this to judge you as a person, but this will consist of important information pertaining your OOC actions as I'm sure you are expecting. This is also essentially a copy paste from my opinion I said in the councilcord. Additionally, I would like to say I do not have to say anything here, in fact most councilors never speak in the apps. I am supplying you my stance your current situation so that you can improve and hopefully achieve CO at some time in the future.

I do not think that you are a consistent enough XO. Some rounds you are an excellent XO, and things go like a well oiled machine - win or lose of the round. We all have our fuck ups, and extremely poor ops. However, what makes a CO different from an XO is that the CO consistently has good control over the operation no matter how difficult and how many distractions are provided. That is not something you have demonstrated. Many operations it feels like you're just going through the motions. There is no RP, and every order is just copy and paste. You should not be doing this as an XO, and this would never fly as a CO.

Your playing habits aren't my interest, if you want to no-life CM that's on you, as I said in the preface I am not interested in judging you for it. However, this amount of time you sink into the game negatively affects your competency severely. You have, at times, quite literally IRL passed out from exhaustion. If you want to eat, sleep, shit CM go ahead, but no one should be passing out from exhaustion mid game due to staying up 26 hours gaming, especially not a CO. You have repeatedly said that you wouldn't do it again, and it was a one time thing, but you essentially had a manic episode and binged CM to cope with it. This all together, to say the least, is a major red flag.

Your OOC personality is also something that should be taken into account, you can become very passive aggressive in CIC if you are not getting your way. If a CO does not want to deploy or deploy you - you quickly grow despondent and will either cryo or only half pay attention to the operation, making slow announcements event more sluggish. Trust me, I can understand not wanting to 5th wheel an operation as a glorified SO, but how you go about dealing with it tells much about your personality. I won't really mention much about your LOOC habits as its been mentioned before, but stop having conversations in LOOC.

To wrap up my thoughts, I do not think that CO is good for you at this time, not just that you aren't ready for CO yet. I am fearful that giving you CO will make you make more poor decisions.

Shay. You have going on 700 hours of XO. That's 3/5 of my total hours on CM, and I've been playing a lot longer than you and have every whitelist. That's insane. I'm not your dad, I'm not your CO so I can't tell you what to do, but I think you need to take a break from CM and relax, gather yourself, and then if you still want to play CM come back and maybe try again. At this time I will be maintaining a -1.
    Synth Gaming

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played a significant amount of rounds with this player and can vouch for their experience in the role of XO.

With that being said, personally I would like to see you use delegation a bit more, and move your briefing times up.
    I have seen you do a fantastic job in CIC, checking all the boxes and keeping the immersion. I have also seen you tired and almost deflated sometimes. Quality over quantity!

You can also make your morning announcements with your speech or quote lines or whatever. I know some people dislike it but it is part of your character's personality, and that is what many of us want to see from you, your character's RP in the CM universe.

Also, as morrow said, tone it down with the LOOC a little bit. Friendly banter is fine but overuse of LOOC can ruin the immersion of your character.

I know you enjoy the role of XO a lot, and I think you have a fair shot at getting CO, so long as you keep your RP high and your quality high! Make good impressions and truly enjoy the round with you and your Marines. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate it Blackbriar. I'm constantly trying to refine my XO gameplay. Learning tactics from different people. Still amazes me how you can just force people forward without a care for casualties like a WW1 Commander. But yeah, my XO has been changing every now and then. I do enjoy you as my CO however. Rarely a dull moment, especially my first round with you when you told me to stop giving ground. I was just looking at you wondering if you were actually serious. But overall. Funtimes, hope to have you as my CO more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less half attention. More of trying to tip toe around the CO trying not to overstep I suppose. It takes time for me to get used to a CO and understand what they want. But I guess it mostly stems from the fact that I cannot sit idly by watching people die I guess. Something I have to work on I suppose. But thanks George. Also. I'm sure you probably have alot more hours than I do lmao. But yeah. I have been easing it back on CM. Kinda have to with other friendship commitments. But overall I agree. But mostly it's me trying to tip toe around COs I'm not used to. I work with Parker fine because I've had him as my CO for so long I practically know what the man wants from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to give my opinion even if I JUST got the whitelist.

I personally think downvoting someone's application based off of an 'addiction' to playing the game is stupid and honestly shouldn't be considered when it comes to whitelists. Does Shay play a load of XO? Yes. Is it too much? Subjective and not my business because I'm not one of their relatives nor someone close to them.

With that out of the way, they obviously know CIC like the back of their hand. As for actual groundside experience, I feel like they lack more in this department than others. Having groundside experience is important to the game for CIC roles because then you have even more of an idea as to what groundside players are dealing with and are able to react better to it instead of zombie staring at the overwatch console. Fortunately, Shay knows how to delegate tasks to more experienced groundside players which is something they've done to me whenever I play SL or even rifleman. They're responsive to comms chatter, they roleplay, and they're someone who will always ensure that marines are covered in departments such as medical, requisitions, and a proper FOB during lowpop rounds where there's only two comtechs. I feel that everyone who has commented and will comment in the future, should take into the account that Shay typically XOs without CIC support for a lot of their rounds and that takes a lot of micro skill.

I've had Shay as my for the majority of my CO rounds since I got the whitelist and they've never upset me or let me down during them at all. I would like to see them with more experience as a PFC, but I also wouldn't mind playing XO or SL under them if they get the whitelist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion probably counts for nothing, but of all of my time in requisition as a RO, you're the only XO that will come in, breach SOP by vulturing the vendor without saying a word and when reminded that it's not okay you'll, instead of backing out or apologizing or waiting patiently for your turn, start rambling stuff like: "Sure, I can always lose us this Operation due to lack of proper comms" while then taunting "Go ahead make my day" on a character you said yourself is supposed to be "nice". I do not trust your RP capabilities as the moment it doesn't revolve around you or something goes in a way you don't like your OOC personality really shows. I've seen you being a chronic LOOCer, your character name is a blatant copy of a warhammer reference and most of your announcements feels often just copy-pasted.

For all of those reasons I do not think you'd be fit to be a CO.

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CO Council has reviewed this application; here's what we have to say.

First of all, we get that you have a lot of experience in command; community feedback and your playtime seem to sum that up pretty well.

That being said, several Councilors have voiced their own concerns on you both in this application and internally. You can look at 'em if you want more details.

Here's the main problems the Council has found, as well as my own advice to you regarding each one.

1. It feels like you're on autopilot a lot of the time. A crucial part of commanding is doing it with the right mind and condition to do so; you have to be focused in order to be competent as the commander. There are definitely moments where you are focused, but we found that that's not the majority of cases where we saw you in action. Personally, I find it's best to only play when you do genuinely feel like playing and not just doing it out of a sense of duty or to keep up a streak. Not being entirely there hurts performance, and it shows.
    2. When you are focused, you tend to take defeat or poor performance too seriously. We all screw up and we all make mistakes; it's important to learn from them and apply lessons to future rounds in order to improve yourself. Beating yourself up over a slip-up will hurt your performance. In my experience if I beat myself up over a loss, I'd spend the next round moping about it and focusing too much on not losing that I become more desperate and was, ironically, more prone to making mistakes. I won't pretend that you're the same as me in this scenario but it's important to be constructive instead of destructive when it comes to defeat.
    3. Some COs have voiced their experiences with you where if you weren't allowed to deploy, or something similar, you would state you were bored and go to cryo. It hasn't happened recently to my knowledge, but it has left a pretty bad taste in a lot of mouths. Work around obstacles; you won't always get the experience you want. That's life.

Overall, the Council believes that in your current state, you're not CO material yet. Sometimes it's best to step back and take a look at the big picture; I recommend you do so.

You've definitely got the drive and the heart, but we need you to work on your performance and behavior before going for the WL again. Some have vouched for you already and that's definitely a good start.

For now, this application is denied. You may reapply starting 30 days from now on November 1, 2022.
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    Ģ¶DĢ¶eĢ¶vĢ¶eĢ¶lĢ¶oĢ¶pĢ¶eĢ¶rĢ¶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump