0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCONX - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    CCONX

What is your discord username and handle?
    CCONX#7630

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-05

Player Name You Use Most?
    Fenrir 'K-Nine' Anrot

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    N/A

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I would say I'm well versed in command positions, so much so that it's my preferred roles, whether that be XO or SL. I like to be a leader in some capacity, and I take it REASONABLY seriously (IE I'm not stuck up about it, but I also don't meme about it either). In addition, I also have extensive knowledge of ML as well as SOP.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    At the time of writing this, I have 77 hours in XO.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    At the time of writing this, I have 111 hours in SL.

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    Through the civil wars of his frontier home planet, Fenrir has seen what terror and corruption can bring, and something he sees in the USCM. Through countless operations with the corps that saved his life when he was stranded years ago, he has watched corruption seep its way in from the greedy grasp of the WY corporation, the same corporation that sowed the seeds of war back home for profit. Truly, the only way to fix what is wrong, would be to climb the ranks and do so from the inside, and in doing so he hopes, uncover the truths behind WY.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Through trial and tribulation, Fenrir has remained doggedly loyal to the USCM. Through countless missions coming through, to command failures taking each as a learning experience, never losing faith in the corps, never stopping moving forward. His military prowess, his experience, landed him with the opportunity to be promoted, and one he didn't feel deserving of, but one he would graciously take.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    A pardon is not something to be taken lightly, and shouldn't be given to just anyone pulled into the brig. A pardon should be given only in the case of:
    A) The arrest was unwarranted or charges are wrongfully placed on the accused party.
    B) The person briged is imported to the operation and the crimes are minor, ONLY under the condition that it is not a repeated offense and that any repeat will not be given such leniency.

This is of course, as stated, is only if the charges are minor, though a willingness to hear out any arrested party should still be had even if the charges are major. While I would most likely never pardon any major crimes, hearing both sides of the story is incredibly important, especially as the CO who has ultimate authority on the Almayer.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    BE is an absolute last resort punishment, reserved ONLY for people that are fully disrupting the operation to an extreme degree and should NOT be taken lightly.

Examples of when NOT to BE:
    -- Marines disrupting briefing by just joking around. Using a BE in this case is no different from fearmongering and is abuse of power.
    -- Marines committing DASO by simply name-calling or making fun of the Major. Brigging is fine, but BE in this case is excessive and unwarranted.

Examples when TO BE:
    -- An MT breaks into CIC and begins majorly disrupting operations, getting in the way of the CO, aCO, and/or SO's, refusing to leave when ordered and making a mess for MPs. In this case, a chance was given to stand down in the order to leave, and as they have been disrupting operations they have gone beyond the chance given and caused a clog in CIC which can prove massively detrimental to operations.
    -- An SO goes out of their way to undermine both the CO and XO and give orders to all the marines, regardless of what they're superior orders. They have been warned multiple times to cease, as their orders and contradicting statements have cause mass confusion. In this case, they have been warned and if continuing to do so causes massive issues, this may call for a BE.

In both the aforementioned examples, BE should still be as an absolute last resort if MP's cannot handle and the actions have caused massive issues for the operation. Personally, I just don't like removing anyone from the round if it can be avoided. All in all, BE is incredibly situational, and more often than not I'd prefer an arrest.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. I want to preface this by saying that I don't care about this application or the incident I'm about to describe, but I was asked by several whitelisted Commanding Officers to bring this up on your application. Personally I just thought it was more funny than anything else because, again, I don't care. But others really want to hear your thoughts on this, so here goes.

Recently, you got into trouble as an intelligence officer very early in the round, earning yourself an almost one-hour long brig sentence, over repeated DASO against the round's CMP, Laurencia Beck. I was the CO during that round, and I was asked to involve myself in the appeal process of your brig sentence, to which I obliged. Long story short I determined that the sentence was valid because you were going out of your way to insult and antagonize the CMP, so I denied the appeal. Some of your comments were also concerning, like saying "the PROVOST knows Beck is a bad MP" or something along those lines. And I noticed you flipped out in OOC after the round, saying "the CO broke the rules by denying your appeal".

In light of this, how can we know you're not going to abuse your CO authority to BE Beck first chance you get? Or just anyone who pisses you off for that matter, as I recall you quarrel with others pretty often.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not said you broke the rules denying the appeal, what I said was that I was shocked you did, though your reason for doing so was just. It's within your right to do so, and that I respect. In addition, the reason I had made those comments IC was because Beck had made comments IC about us having “history”, so I retorted. Following this, they repeatedly asked me to “meet them in the brig” and after asking multiple times for a reason, they just repeated the statement.

While I have my issues with the character, that does not take away from the fact that unless given a proper reason, and even then for that matter, I would not BE anyone. IC issues stay IC, simple as. I'm not going to abuse my power to BE someone just because I take issue with their character or the way they play. BE to me is not something to just thrown around, ever. Unless someone SEVERELY fucks up, excuse my language, and I don't simply mean by my own judgment, I see no reason for its use.

Onto the topic of quarreling with others pretty often, to the best of my knowledge it's not that often? And I don't mean that to claim ignorance, I am being sincere when I say I really don't recall quarreling with people that often. For the most pack, my character gets along with others pretty well as far I'm aware, though others are free to chime in on this!

TLDR; I don't foresee myself using BE pretty much ever, let alone for past IC issues that would go far and beyond meta grudging.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will you use your position as CO to improve people’s rounds or make them different? My two rounds of having you as my XO while I was a squad role I wasn’t impressed. One was evacing when we had 20 marines vs 13 xenos but we had 3 full cade lines, and half of the marines left were robustos. Everyone questioned why we were evacing, because there was no reason to. The other was you calling for a full retreat after the queen screeched capping one marine and myself as sadar killing one of the praes protecting the cap. This retreat order was ignored by half the marines, resulting in half the force being cut off and us losing the round soon after.

How will we trust you to 1. Not evac out of boredom after a long round like in the first example? COs should have grit and determination, and that’s something I’ve seen lacking in your command style.

2. This is a repeat of the initial question, how will you use your position as CO to improve the rounds of people? Every CO has their own style.
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I'd like to say that I'm sorry for taking so long to respond to this, but I wanted to give it a good amount of thought before shooting back.

I'd like to start by saying, I remember both of the rounds you've mentioned, and both I consider some of my biggest blunders in my XO career and ones that I've learned from. In regards to the first round, I saw the statistics and, I believe but could be wrong that it was suggested to me that we evac. Seeing only the numbers I completely lost hope in winning and figured that I'd rather save people then throw them at the cades. I realized very quickly how wrong that was, and I think a round that shows my understanding of that was an LV round where things were down to the last few cades, and I asked everyone if they would rather evac or fight. When everyone begged to fight, I rallied the men for a last stand to fight until the bitter end and honor their wishes as the players on the ground. I try my best to do that every round, instead of simply jumping to decisions based on pure statistics.

The second round is a bit harder to pin, but I believe that in the situation I wanted people to regroup. Since then, I've tried to make for better coordination between CIC and the ground side force, repeatedly checking in on the SL's for their opinions, and watching the situations more closely even when alone in CIC, which is something I've grown more comfortable with.

So;
    1) It has never been my intention to "evac out of boredom", and I've long since learned that numbers mean very little in the face of courage and determination. I agree with you whole heartedly, a CO needs to have those factors, and that's something I have worked to push into my own leading style.

Moving onto the next question, this is what took me so long to answer to, and I didn't want to half ass this question. I sat for a while thinking on this, and in the end this is what I came up with;

2) I want to bring brotherhood and comradery to the marines. I want to be someone at the top that instead of bringing out orders and decisions based on my opinion, I want to bring together the marines to decide the course of action as a cohesive unit. I know that this isn't always possible, and there are times that you have to make a split decision on the spot, but barring those moments, I want to be a commander that weighs everyone's decision together. That's the style I aspire to achieve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Councils are always a cool thing to hold as CO, just make sure you keep playing XO while your app is up or we can’t see you play.
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sorry about that! I've had some IRL issues going on, I should be returning either tomorrow or Thursday!

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, so the story is ok, but leaves a couple of questions, like what was it that was so special that your character did during the evacuation from USS Paladin? Also it does not characterize your character in any way. Also, up to promotion to Major in 6 years of service?

The BE answers look kind of problematic to me. Both answers do not demonstrate the urgency of the situation. If the that MT has been messing around for a while, he's unlikely be an actual major threat, so BEing him may be a bit iffy. Same thing with SO, if you're not on the frontline, nothing is stopping you from just arresting.

Now, your actual performance. I was able to closely observe you for only a single round, but that performance was not at level I would find acceptable from a CO. It was a Solaris round today. It was you who deployed 2 SOs and CO choose to deploy too, so all of the CIC was your responsibility. Here are the issues I've noticed ordered by descending importance:
    1. Delta SL got capped an you've completely failed to replace him with anyone for more than 20 minutes. Having an active(and ideally proactive) aSL is extremely important. It's really not the hardest of the CIC tasks. Also this sort of tells everyone how much attention you're actually paying to the situation.
    2. Charlie was set as the comms squad and there was a sizeable fireteam of about 4 men guarding it. That team along with a couple of other random marines passing through Marshalls got killed by a rotating xeno force consisting of multiple warriors. You have failed to notice the deaths of those people for a few minutes. While that team was getting killed they were even calling for help which was ignored by the command. Then xenos cut off the comms, which led Bravo SL and engie to check out on them. They tried to recover a couple of Charlies and got attacked. Only when the Bravos got killed you've announced that comms are down and called reinforcements there.
    3. You were announcing intents in contradiction to what the deployed CO recently announced. Generally you want to complement your CO and assist him in any way you can from the CIC.

So I'm giving this application a -1, but since it's just from one round, it's a provisional -1 and if I see that you perform better in other rounds I'll revisit my vote.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but since the app went up, and even until now, we still haven't seen you play XO for a single round. We can't accept someone who we haven't seen since the app went live; we don't have enough information to accurately judge your performance and character to determine if you're suitable for the WL or not. All CO applicants should be able to continue playing XO after their application is live. If you plan to reapply, please make sure you can accomplish this before submitting an application next time.

We previously stated that applicants denied for not playing would get their reapplication time halved - but that was wrong of us, and we're going to make it uniform across all applications from now on.

For now, unfortunately, this application is denied. You may reapply in 30 days on November 20, 2022. In the meantime, I suggest you try to play more XO to make yourself well known, and work on the feedback given here to make yourself a better commander and player.
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump