User Tag List

Thread: IamAcantaloupe - Ban Appeal (Timed Ban)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IamAcantaloupe - Ban Appeal (Timed Ban)

Ban Appeal
    Byond ID?
    IamAcantaloupe
    Do you confirm you have read the Appeal Rules and that this appeal conforms to them?
    Yes
    Character Name?
    Ike 'Mustard' Michaels / TO-999-T0
    What is your discord tag? (If appealing a discord ban)
    -
    Type of Ban?
    Timed Ban
    What is your Bancode?
    Not applicable
    If jobban, which job are you appealing?
    7 day ban
    Admin who banned you (if known)
    siencerpl
    Total Ban Duration
    7 days
    Remaining Duration
    6.5 days
    What other servers do you play on?
    Utra rarely Paradise.
    Are you now or have you been banned on any servers? Which ones?
    No
    Do you play using a Virtual Machine?
    No
    Is your copy of Windows legitimate?
    Yes
    Do you connect using a VPN? If so, which provider?
    No
    Reason for Ban
    Multiple unacceptable Homophobic slurs in IC chat. 7 day ban per zero tolerance policy
    Link to previous appeals for the same ban (if applicable):
    -
    Your appeal, including evidence (screenshots, etc). If you were in the wrong, explain what you did that was wrong, and describe how you have or will improve your behavior.
    I sat down after work today(03:00 11/10 GMT) to play for the first time in a few days (I think Thursday 6th GMT) Got the ban message. I haven't been on server for 4 days and the ban is .5 days old. I am confused as to how this ban happened. What actually occurred and when? I also only ever use this computer to play on one of two IP addresses for the last 6 months so if there is variance beyond two recently I may have had my account messed with.
    I will be changing my passwords.
    I am also nearly certain that I only played as xeno on the last couple of times that I played. Anyways, Can we check the IP history and can we check if another player was using my character name recently and I got the blame for it? I have no history of this behavior and no negative notes at all. This must be a mistake.
    Do you understand that making low-effort appeals (short/does not address the issue/shitposts) may lead to immediate denial and/or other types of consequences?
    Yes

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A log sweep picked up the following

[CW: slurs]
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    This is clearly a homophobic slur, and is a violation of Server Rule 3. I have verified that this was you and not a compromised account.

If I was wrong about my assessment, please explain how the usage of the slur in both cases was acceptable.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I had forgotten about that but that was definitely me.
    I would argue a few points.
    1. Contextually no individual is being degraded by the use of the slur.
    2. It is me referring to my own behavior and attitudes and interests.

Those points aside I agree that I have clearly broken the rules regarding Community Expectations/Racism and Bigotry and I understand that "nuance and context" is no defense when the rules exist to protect marginalized people from suffering from abuse and degradation and to create a space where cruelty cannot be defended by "I was joking!"

I will endeavor to be more careful in the future with regards to using less harmful language.
    For example if I had said at the time: "I am a big fan of Gayness and Veggie Pizza is Gay." The intended meaning of the sentence would have conveyed without the use of the slur.

I am very glad that it was a log sweep which picked it up and not another member of this community who felt harmed by my words and reported it themselves.

Should the ban stay in place I understand and will wait until the week is over but I can sincerely tell you the ban is not necessary and there will be more care taken by myself in future.
    Thankyou for your prompt response, also.
    Zac

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ban has set to expire soon, and CM management going forward has instituted a new word bot that will report any slurs/racist language used in game. At the end of the day no amount of "roleplay" will justify any "bad words" used. Due to this ban expiring soon, it would not be practical to assign it for review.

This is going to be the response to all bans issued by this new filter bot.
    Moving forward please keep Rule 3 in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Rule 3
    Usage of slurs IC/OOC on the server will result in a 7 day ban, automatically.
    Racism, the use of slurs and other targeting terms or phrases is strictly forbidden and will not be tolerated.
    Being Homophobic, Sexist or a general bigot is not ok, and action will be taken to rectify such behaviour.
    BYOND ckey/usernames that are deemed racist, homophobic, sexist, etc... by staff are not permitted. You will be given a chance to create a new CKEY and you must request our staff to transfer any notes.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids