Discord Username?
    usn peepoo#7060

CM Character?
    Mark Rain / DKD / MA-RK

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    CST -5/GMT - 5 USA.

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    15-20.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    No

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Aside from occasional TGMC, no.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Not that I know of.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Yes, Paradise. Perma banned for welder bombing on my first SS13 round ever.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes, I'm more than willing to participate in discussions or inquiries on discord.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    In this event, I'd check the player's logs and their playtime hours. I'd look for note history, and what they did prior to shooting. Afterwards, I would send an admin PM questioning them to get a better understanding and if no reason is provided or if it's a quite obvious poor one then I would give them a note, or ban depending on their note history. I would also aheal the victim who was shot should it be necessary.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I myself have a WL, and know this part well. I would direct them to ways of contacting councilors for better clarification as well as making a player report on the forums as staff aren't involved in whitelist issues.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If there are any active SEAs, or mentors I would direct them to the player, or I would ask the player to try and do a mentor help so that they may be guided. I personally am not sure if staff are meant to act as stand-in mentors however I believe directing them to an actual mentor would suffice. Otherwise, I would directly ask MP's if no options are available.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    From my experience, (and asking for this before) I wouldn't escalate the ahelp any further despite their arguing and rather direct them to a staff report should they believe whatever judgement I had set was wrong.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would directly PM the player and explain to them in a non-hostile manner that their name is breaking Rule 9. I have history with this, as I wrongly used LRP names before and have gotten it changed. I would ask them whether they would like to pick a new name, and if they cannot provide one choose a generic, non-rule breaking name for them and set it as their new character name.

However, if they have a history of LRP/rule breaking names, and try to argue to keep their name I would either apply a note if their history is small, or otherwise apply a ban.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    I believe this would be an IC issue that I don't necessarily have to interfere with as staff, especially if there are MP's active.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would explain to the survivor that hostile survivors are against the rules, apply a note and/or job ban depending on history with hostile actions/survivor LRP. I would also aheal the marine.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would scrutinize this ahelp, and check logs. I would PM the MP and acquire details of whether or not this was a justified arrest. Should it be justified I wouldn't intervene. If it was a mistake/wrongful arrest I would ICly try to resolve it in any way I can (I don't know if moderators are allowed to become provosts and handle this). If it was a grief arrest, which wasn't simply wrongful I would apply a note or job-ban depending on the MP players history.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I would ask a higher position admin whether or not I could be given permission to encourage either side to end the stagnation. If given permission, I personally would give queen mother announcements to the xeno side to prevent stalling.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Although i'm not certain, I would ahelp and get another staff member to handle this issue as I'm inclined to believe that being involved in an issue that is ahelp'ble shouldn't be done by yourself.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    I would explain to the CLF member that EORG doesn't apply to enemy factions, if they don't understand I would direct them to rule 4's clauses.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I would check logs, and if they're clearly causing such issues round start apply a note to said marine for roundstart shenanigans. If their history includes this, I would apply a ban.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I would check logs, and if the marine was really shot to death for punching, apply a note for IE. I would then aheal the marine shot.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    From staff tools, I would admin PM the group in-view and explain this is an improper mutiny. If they continue, I would sleep them.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I would PM the player making racist comments, explain to them this is against the rules and apply a warning note. Depend on their history, or if it was a targeted comment, I would escalate it into a ban.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    I would apply a long ban (although exactly what time i still need to learn), if possible check their ckey if they're a ban evader. Should they be such/a multi-keyer I would apply a perma. I'd aheal the killed marines.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    I would check the players playtime, if they have considerate playtime as xeno or marine I would apply a note/job ban if they have a history. If the player was new I would explain to them that is against the rules, and apply a warning note.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I would PM them asking them to quit acting LRP in hivemind. Should they continue, apply a note. If they have a history, give them a xeno job-ban.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would explain to the ahelp'ing player that it isn't against the rules to call it "dropship" as it is merely an english translation of their thoughts. If they're confused I would direct them to the xeno roleplay standards of rule 2.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would PM the player explaining to them that marine's have encountered xeno's before however they do not know there are any on the colony. I would apply a LRP note.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    I would scrutinize this, and check logs as well as get details from the ahelping marines. If there were open evac pods, and they weren't in clear and immediate danger I would applya griefing note and depending on their history of grief/IE a ban. If there were no open pods, and they are clearly in danger I would explain to the ahelper it was justified ICly.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I would ahelp this, and/or player report them if no staff takes my ahelp.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I would tell the player they are not guaranteed protection for being SSD. Tell them they would need to ICly fix this issue themselves as I cannot intervene.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I personally wouldn't interfere as it is not my judgement to barge into another staff's ahelps.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would give my opinion on the issue, if I believe I have a strong one. Otherwise, I would clarify this later in private DM's/a discord discussion.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    In all my time of CM, I had never thought I would apply for staff. But recently, I've come to the epiphany that I've invested so much time into CM and have never really given anything back. I'm genuinely interested in becoming a moderator for the simple fact that I love CM, although it's community is sometimes a bit backwards I find enjoyment in playing, talking to other players. By applying for staff I feel as if I could give back to the community, have a much better depth of actively playing as well as moderating a community I've invested so much time in.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    To me, the most important quality of a moderator is just being seen. By playing a character, by playing xeno, whether or not you're known for staff I believe a staff member who actively moderates as well as plays and finds a great balance in that is a great moderator which is something I would look forward to doing.

Anything else you want to add?
    I'd like to say, despite my note history I believe I could make positive changes as a moderator. I've gone through ups and downs and I know this application might be scrutinized as I had come off 2 LRP notes as queen but I don't mind and believe that is completely fine. Being a moderator to me would open up new paths for me to enjoy CM and help the community so applying for staff regardless of my note history is a big factor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you touched on a few of the main concerns with your note history, can you just give a brief example of some of the things you have changed about your actions recently? We would like to just have a good clear understanding that you have made good changes for the foreseeable permanent future- especially if you are going to enforce these things as a moderator.

Your overall answers are mostly fine a few of them are wrong. A lack of investigation in a few of your questions and ban procedures- however not all of this information is generally known by the player base that have no staff experience, so there is some leniency here. A couple of the more important questions that have this are:

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would scrutinize this ahelp, and check logs. I would PM the MP and acquire details of whether or not this was a justified arrest. Should it be justified I wouldn't intervene. If it was a mistake/wrongful arrest I would ICly try to resolve it in any way I can (I don't know if moderators are allowed to become provosts and handle this). If it was a grief arrest, which wasn't simply wrongful I would apply a note or job-ban depending on the MP players history.
    Ask requisitions and the arrested person for their points of view on the situation. Maybe more than just the attachment was taken from requisitions and some hostility was taken- or the story was fabricated. Many things could have happened especially because the MP may not have been there for the incident and is only taking information from certain peoples points of view.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I would check logs, and if the marine was really shot to death for punching, apply a note for IE. I would then aheal the marine shot.
    Depending on intent of the situation it could be way more than a note for this. Also note history can escalate this to a multi day ban for incidents that are repeat.

Going to await a response to this before leaving any +1/-1- especially an answer to my first question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecharge123 View Post
    I know you touched on a few of the main concerns with your note history, can you just give a brief example of some of the things you have changed about your actions recently? We would like to just have a good clear understanding that you have made good changes for the foreseeable permanent future- especially if you are going to enforce these things as a moderator.

Your overall answers are mostly fine a few of them are wrong. A lack of investigation in a few of your questions and ban procedures- however not all of this information is generally known by the player base that have no staff experience, so there is some leniency here. A couple of the more important questions that have this are:

Ask requisitions and the arrested person for their points of view on the situation. Maybe more than just the attachment was taken from requisitions and some hostility was taken- or the story was fabricated. Many things could have happened especially because the MP may not have been there for the incident and is only taking information from certain peoples points of view.

Depending on intent of the situation it could be way more than a note for this. Also note history can escalate this to a multi day ban for incidents that are repeat.

Going to await a response to this before leaving any +1/-1- especially an answer to my first question
    Although it's hard to put into words how I've changed, to put it bluntly I've been both actively avoiding acting LRP in any manner related to my notes as well as trying to put more focus into RP'ing well both as xeno and marine. I was given a second chance and I believe I will uphold that, and by becoming a moderator I feel like I would be even more motivated to be upstanding, non-LRP, and seek to be a better community member in CM. Finding examples is hard, I can't list every RP I've gone through since my notes but I'm 100% committed to avoiding acting in a LRP manner as egregious as I was then and I feel like by applying for mod shows a genuine interest in upholding that as well as to better myself as a community member.

Also, I appreciate the response on my answers. It's somewhat confusing for me more specifically the investigation parts as I have no idea what the process for that is and I'm glad there is a leniency for those who don't know much of it. Regarding the MP/Req question I definitely should've digged more with req instead of a single player/role questioning before settling the ahelp, something i'll take to note.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can trust this application for now. I would like to at least see how you do as a Tmod. This is a wary +1 for now. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usnpeepoo View Post
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    In this event, I'd check the player's logs and their playtime hours. I'd look for note history, and what they did prior to shooting. Afterwards, I would send an admin PM questioning them to get a better understanding and if no reason is provided or if it's a quite obvious poor one then I would give them a note, or ban depending on their note history. I would also aheal the victim who was shot should it be necessary.
    Excellent answer.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I myself have a WL, and know this part well. I would direct them to ways of contacting councilors for better clarification as well as making a player report on the forums as staff aren't involved in whitelist issues.
    Good answer.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If there are any active SEAs, or mentors I would direct them to the player, or I would ask the player to try and do a mentor help so that they may be guided. I personally am not sure if staff are meant to act as stand-in mentors however I believe directing them to an actual mentor would suffice. Otherwise, I would directly ask MP's if no options are available.
    Good answer. Staff are also here to help the community; if you feel inclined, you may ask another staff member to send you in as SEA to give them a hand.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    From my experience, (and asking for this before) I wouldn't escalate the ahelp any further despite their arguing and rather direct them to a staff report should they believe whatever judgement I had set was wrong.
    Decent answer. While not answered, a player isn't inclined to decide who decides their ticket. It varies from person to person, but you don't have to take abuse as a staff member. You're there as a volunteer.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would directly PM the player and explain to them in a non-hostile manner that their name is breaking Rule 9. I have history with this, as I wrongly used LRP names before and have gotten it changed. I would ask them whether they would like to pick a new name, and if they cannot provide one choose a generic, non-rule breaking name for them and set it as their new character name.

However, if they have a history of LRP/rule breaking names, and try to argue to keep their name I would either apply a note if their history is small, or otherwise apply a ban.
    Great answer.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    I believe this would be an IC issue that I don't necessarily have to interfere with as staff, especially if there are MP's active.
    Correct, but it wouldn't hurt to do light investigation.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would explain to the survivor that hostile survivors are against the rules, apply a note and/or job ban depending on history with hostile actions/survivor LRP. I would also aheal the marine.
    Good answer.

Good thinking. Investigate for any witnesses as well.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I would ask a higher position admin whether or not I could be given permission to encourage either side to end the stagnation. If given permission, I personally would give queen mother announcements to the xeno side to prevent stalling.
    Correct, but this question is more to expand about your understanding and ability to do IC intervention

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Although i'm not certain, I would ahelp and get another staff member to handle this issue as I'm inclined to believe that being involved in an issue that is ahelp'ble shouldn't be done by yourself.
    Great answer.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    I would explain to the CLF member that EORG doesn't apply to enemy factions, if they don't understand I would direct them to rule 4's clauses.
    Good answer.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I would check logs, and if they're clearly causing such issues round start apply a note to said marine for roundstart shenanigans. If their history includes this, I would apply a ban.
    Good answer.

Good answer.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    From staff tools, I would admin PM the group in-view and explain this is an improper mutiny. If they continue, I would sleep them.
    Good approach, but we can't PM multiple people at once. Call for backup.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I would PM the player making racist comments, explain to them this is against the rules and apply a warning note. Depend on their history, or if it was a targeted comment, I would escalate it into a ban.
    Good answer.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    I would apply a long ban (although exactly what time i still need to learn), if possible check their ckey if they're a ban evader. Should they be such/a multi-keyer I would apply a perma. I'd aheal the killed marines.
    Great answer. 1 week ban minimum for mass-grief. Permabans are handled by putting in requests to management, not at hand.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    I would check the players playtime, if they have considerate playtime as xeno or marine I would apply a note/job ban if they have a history. If the player was new I would explain to them that is against the rules, and apply a warning note.
    Good answer.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen
    I would PM them asking them to quit acting LRP in hivemind. Should they continue, apply a note. If they have a history, give them a xeno job-ban.
    Decent answer. Note first here if it's to this degree.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would explain to the ahelp'ing player that it isn't against the rules to call it "dropship" as it is merely an english translation of their thoughts. If they're confused I would direct them to the xeno roleplay standards of rule 2.
    Good answer.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would PM the player explaining to them that marine's have encountered xeno's before however they do not know there are any on the colony. I would apply a LRP note.
    Good answer. This is metagaming as well as LRP.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    I would scrutinize this, and check logs as well as get details from the ahelping marines. If there were open evac pods, and they weren't in clear and immediate danger I would applya griefing note and depending on their history of grief/IE a ban. If there were no open pods, and they are clearly in danger I would explain to the ahelper it was justified ICly.
    Excellent answer.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I would ahelp this, and/or player report them if no staff takes my ahelp.
    Very interesting solution. I like it. You're allowed to re-pm them in this special circumstance though.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I would tell the player they are not guaranteed protection for being SSD. Tell them they would need to ICly fix this issue themselves as I cannot intervene.
    Good answer.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I personally wouldn't interfere as it is not my judgement to barge into another staff's ahelps.
    Understandable.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would give my opinion on the issue, if I believe I have a strong one. Otherwise, I would clarify this later in private DM's/a discord discussion.
    Also understandable.

Overall, I have no quarrels. This is one of the strongest applications I've seen, and I see exceptional judgement in your character. If your note dispute gets accepted, I'd love to have you on the team +1.
    Last edited by MrDadMan; 10-26-2022 at 07:44 AM.
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good app, good answers to questions -only issue is the note dispute currently going on. If it gets accepted, what else can I say but +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to wait for your appeal to be disputed before I give my decision. For now I would like to say that your app is well written.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your responses, I greatly appreciate them and will take note any criticism about my answers/application and try to work on them. Regarding the note dispute, the note has been removed so I don’t believe there are any more issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty. Your not you was cleared up. You have a well written app and I hope you use that knowledge well when you become a trial. +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there! Thank you for your application. I agree with the feedback above, this is a well done app, and the follow up questions were handled aptly.

I do have some reservations regarding both in-game and discord history, but there are indications of improvement, and the most recent issues seem to be mostly in the realm of meming/low level LRP. Please bare in mind that mods are expected to not only follow server rules, but stand as an example of what we would like to see from players.

That said, this is a strong app, and I very much believe in encouraging positive change- so I am pleased to accept your app and welcome you to the team!

Please make sure your DMs are open, as I'll reach out to you to get you set up with perms shortly.