0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheeBiggest - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    TheeBiggest

What is your discord username and handle?
    The Biggest UwU#4046

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+2

Player Name You Use Most?
    Jane 'JJ' Jacobson, Katie

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    No. Only removal from the Staff team.

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    Very familiar with all the CIC usage, ex. OW consoles, the "bubble", announcements, even tacmap usage. Experienced with making a plan and seeing it through whenever I'm in charge of the current round.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    At this time I have 59.4 hours of XO

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    At this time I have 87.5 hours as Squad Lead

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    Years of service, observing her superior officers from the other departments, learning techniques they provide to the cause, allowing Jacobson to climb the ranks so she can display her leadership her own way. When the time came and the position was offered, she was more than thrilled to take charge of her own ship and platoon. Not only to do things her way but to give a reminder to her crew, things must be done in a strict, militarized fashion so she can sustain minimal losses that will occur in the future of her career.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Growing up, Jane was subjected to her mother's way of parenting. Instead of becoming a deadbeat nobody, her mother pushed and pushed for her daughter to get into college and sign up for Officer Training within the USCM. Thanks to her loving, short tempered mother, Jane was able to become a commissioned officer, focused on the supply, or rather, Requisitions side after being assigned to different USCM vessels.

Overtime as Jacobson gained officer-like experience dealing with enlisted soldiers, she noticed a common trend with how there were men and women who treated themselves as "that guy" only to return in a body bag after the operation. This repeating trend was getting Jacobson disappointed, angry with how she saw the lack of discipline in these soldiers, forging a new resolve in the Lieutenant which inspired her rise above, pushing herself for greater heights instead of being comfy as the head lead for the Requisitions department, reminding herself of her mother's teachings.

High Command noticed Jacobson's leadership as Captain of the USS Duskbreaker, more notably her offensive assault against a CLF moon outpost, sustaining minimal casualties rather than the common 25-30% rating. To reward her for her service, Jacobson was offered not only the rank of Major but given a place for her own ship to command, all of which the officer was more than happy to accept.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    CO story showing interactions and such.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    In this scenario, the Chief Engineer, an officer, orders a PFC Marine to fetch them food and a drink. The Marine denies and simply walks away and the CE orders their arrest for Insubordination. I would review the statements from the Marine and CE, finding the CE's request completely ridiculous and pardon the Marine. The Mess Sergeant is the one the CE should be asking, not a random Private.

Another scenario, a Bravo Marine is using their communications to practically insult the current OW Staff Officer after they ordered them to watch the north flank. Repeatedly saying insults. The MPs are ordered to arrest the Marine and now I'm brought to Brig to handle their appeal, they tell me a story that makes it seem like they're in the right while the Staff Officer simply told them an order. The Marine begs for a Pardon but I do not bother doing so due to "hearing" those insults myself while observing CIC operations, thus having the Marine serve their time and give them the idea they can't disrespect officers like that.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    For planetside deployment, I'm within the backlines coordinating the attack on the enemy and a Marine decided to mess with me. Shoving, dragging, using the table method, being a complete nuisance and stating "Aha, the CO is weak". I warn by ordering them to stop, they're jeopardizing the mission and I will take drastic measures and they continue. They end up pushing their luck while I'm trying to get Orbital bombardment coordinates and manage to throw me against a wall, hurting me and stealing my LD. I would BE them in this case, stating their disorderly conduct of assault and theft while I was attempting to effectively lead the front.

Another scenario, I'm shipside overseeing CIC activities. I "hear" on Almayer's comms that the Maintenance Techs are threatening to blow up lower engineering section. I arrive to the scene and they're demanding a ransom while a makeshift fuel bomb is between the generators. With no MPs around as of the moment, I would attempt to get the MTs into my line of sight before quickly ending their seditious acts of terrorism on my ship because they were an endangerment to the entire crew, vessel and all.

An example to NOT execute someone is a Marine breaks into the SO's bunks and steals a bunch of command headsets. They've broken multiple laws doing this and were not ordered to do so when I confront them. Instead, I would have them return the headsets and have the MPs deal with their shenanigans. If they fail to comply then they're going to serve time in the cell but the ML breaks do not deserve a BE.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good story that actually characterizes your character. Though the ranks in it are somewhat of a mess, why is the CO of the Almayer is referred to as the Captain, but Jane, his XO(?) a major? So what's the COs rank? Since the Almayer is currently a major level command, you kinda don't want to be the only major in the force who's still an XO.

I've seen you a couple of times, and I think that's enough for me to vote on this application. On a recent round I was a Bravo SL, the FOB was kinda shit, supply was not the best. You deployed as SO and told me to build up cargo(oh, where do us enlisted would even go without such great SO wisdom). To which I asked whether I really should and you replied with "yes, because I've just ordered it" and promised more supplies. Then you went and died in whatever cave push with no further supply forthcoming for the time being. I, of course made the effort to tell every engineer I meet that "we have to build up cargo, because some dumbass SO who deployed and died said so". You've also completely failed to notice or act on a massive autism fort at the SW LZ, the construction of which I was too lazy to bother stopping. Then at some point in round Alpha SL was organizing an East Caves push, you jumped in out of nowhere and asked who ordered that push, to which Alpha SL answered "me". This is just to illustrate that your leadership style is overassertive to the point of being controversial. Which is good, because we need more COs with some actual distinct leadership styles, and being proactive and entertaining(if somewhat controversial) generally beats just being competent.

Not that I question your general competence. In the two of your XO rounds I observed you've manage to organize a couple of really good flanks, which completely ended the round for xenos. Unfortunately those rounds were ones where xenos had little hope anyway and I would wish to see some round where you will be tested to your limit, just to see what that limit really is, but in the current meta such rounds are an unaffordable luxury most of the time.

Therefore I'm giving this app a +1.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've enjoyed seeing Jane as an ever-competent XO as of late and an equally solid synth, being able to handle the wackier things on the fly and subsequently buckle down when things get serious. I think they'd handle this well. +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the story, you're the only person who actually brought up this mistake even though I had made no changes since the first submitted app. Originally my story was that Jane was the XO and the nameless "CO" was the Major. So it's a mistake on my part while shifting the ranks because I was told my story needed my character to be the CO.

I do remember this round you mention and unfortunately I died on my way back to FOB (the queen was so low!!) when the disorganized retreat was happening. It was pretty upsetting how the round played with Alpha SL making an OB call which completely ruined the round and gibbed themselves in the process while I was in the moment calling for an offset OB. It is what it is and I did see that "autism fort" when I was a ghost, I have no idea why anyone would allow that and if I did notice it before I went to the front to check the situation, I would have deconstructed it personally.

In my rounds I do want Marines to be a focused, unbeatable force to be messing with which is why I'm adopting a strict personality. We've all had that Private who runs up during brief to spout some bullshit about MPs. I'm not dealing with that and if Marines want to act like goofballs, then they can be delayed their fight just like in classrooms the Teacher will sit and wait quietly for the class to calm down or else everyone fails the class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you are competent,however I am going to address the elephant in the room. You were removed from staff and Discord Volunteer. Why should you be allowed the CO Whitelist when you abused your powers as staff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeofCagliostro View Post
    I know you are competent,however I am going to address the elephant in the room. You were removed from staff and Discord Volunteer. Why should you be allowed the CO Whitelist when you abused your powers as staff?
    To clarify things, I asked to be removed from Discord Staff due to the drama overwhelming at that time which I was instead given a 2 week suspension. My SR came in and it led to total removal of both game and Discord. I'm not proud and it's not an accomplishment I can boast about. I feel like an absolute disappointment to everyone and I still do to this day but I have NEVER used my powers to metagame or to gain the upper hand against the opposing team, that's very petty to do.

I can't answer your question because that's not for me to decide but rather the other members of the CO WL and the Council. I will say I didn't immediately go and apply for CO again when I had the chance about 2 weeks ago was to review my actions and learn from them. I've talked to Moonshanks and Scarlet afterwards and they helped me understand some examples that aren't public so I can do better in the near future. I do plan on applying for both platforms of moderation again but that's for another time. I've learned from my mistakes and I still continue to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the person who did the entire investigation over their misuse of staff tools. I've known TheeBiggest ingame and outside the server. While I do not condone anything they have done, I have full faith that they are trustworthy to have the whitelist. I have no doubts that they've reflected and want another chance, and won't let us down if we give it to them. They've done a good job commanding and shown that they can take the role seriously even if there are external factors affecting the round and their time on the server. They have my +1
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between Amber "Onion Eater" Walsh's response and yours Jane, I am confident you can do the WL proud. +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid +1 from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competent XO and SL player, they have +1 from me.