User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dutch Dozen: Wasted potential? Discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dutch Dozen: Wasted potential? Discussion.

According to the wiki, the Dutch Dozen are "a small, yet powerful group of mercenaries specialized in jungle warfare. It's members are trained to fight with low tech weapons and equipment, learning special survival techniques and how to conduct guerrilla warfare. They employ very older or outdated weapons such as the MAR-40, however, they are extremely well trained to use these weapons, often better than any marine with a M41A."

And their purpose in the game is "Should the Dutch's Team encounter a humanoid-ailen figure in the ship or elsewhere, they're to hunt it down at all costs. Otherwise they will assist on the defense of USS Almayer as usual." So, basically, it's an ERT that took inspiration from Major Dutch at the Predator incident that led to the creation of this team, which main purpose is to hunt and take down (above everything else) the predator(s) that spawn in the current round.

It's been a long time since Dutch Dozen spawned in the game and I think it's a wasted potential. Why? because it's the only ERT that has a special objective that is to deal with a special-almost event level role that is the Predator. I feel this role needs some love and re-structuration, like making the team available when the "Hunt" is active in the current round. Since actually predators are in a 'grey area' since they can easily fuck up the round for the normal marine/xeno players why don't give them a distraction? by picking 5-8 late joiners to spawn as Dutch Dozen in the almayer (or in a remote place of the map) and their job is to hunt down the predator and collect it's body meanwhile the predator tries to continue it's hunt; the honor code would put any member of the Dozen as worthy prey since they're humans trained to kill yautjas.

This ain't a suggestion but a debate, same goes to other discontinued ERT that we had some time ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I like this.

Make the Dutch Dozen squad consisted of 6 people (just like the original Predator film with Dutch + 5 people in his merc squad). Make a small base for them in a different Z-level for prepping, and let them drop near either LZ1/LZ2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing back Dutch�s Dozen has been kicked around a couple of times and there�s really no particular reason that they�re out of rotation. A good amount of their gear was given to other groups so we�d need a bit of work to make them unique again. As far as I can tell, nobody is against doing it, we just haven�t.
    Last edited by monkeysfist101; 03-11-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Resident canon stickler.
    CM in a nutshell:

"perscription_google" - CM code

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that they can't hunt preds reliably. Problem that stands in their way are... Benos.

Pred can just turn invisible, or even don't and just stroll across xeno teritory like it was a park in the city centre. Dutch Dozen wouldn't be way more powerfull than 6 normal marines, so they would die always.

Preds can't show up on Almayer just because, they have to hunt for gear, so they don't have time (and rights) to fight with another six guys.

This concept needs more rethinking.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A marine with a shotgun or a xeno with acid spit can easily kill a predator.
    Useless to make them a dedicated anti-predator squad tbh.

They also use older equipment and older uniforms, they're more inline for the "Space Vietnam" events anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Space Vietnam is retarded.

The Dutches Dozen were a joke squad back in the day, and they are now. I'd rather see the effort to resurrect the Iron Bears since they actually have lore relevance

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be cool to see them make a return to CM, but not in a typical rotation/meta. I�d much rather it be entirely event-related rather than just having some late joiners compose the squad or making it a roundstart role/squad.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean it would make more sense if you wanted a predator hunting squad for it to be a server event and have an admin spawn some WY PMC's with the goals of killing and/or capturing a predator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PMC ERT is always my favourite distress beacon because they have the explicit goal of finding and saving the CL, which is more interesting than straight antag or protaging.

Anything similar to that sounds fun to me, as monkeyfist says though it's probably more of a case of devs finding time to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave Dutch's Dozen for admins only.
    no need to bring them back since they don't add much of anything to the lore or gameplay. If they are wanted for an event, an Admin can create them if need be.