User Tag List

Thread: Egorkor - Ban Appeal (Timed Ban)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Egorkor - Ban Appeal (Timed Ban)

Ban Appeal
    Byond ID?
    Egorkor
    Do you confirm you have read the Appeal Rules and that this appeal conforms to them?
    Yes
    Character Name?
    Graham Maclagan
    What is your discord tag? (If appealing a discord ban)
    -
    Type of Ban?
    Timed Ban
    What is your Bancode?
    N/A, timed ban
    If jobban, which job are you appealing?
    N/A
    Admin who banned you (if known)
    Silencer_pl
    Total Ban Duration
    30 days
    Remaining Duration
    28,7 days
    What other servers do you play on?
    Nowadays and constantly, none. My original community died out years ago and other than that, I only used to main CM or Bay. These days I mostly play different servers for a short period then take long breaks, i.e. Fallout, SCP, etc.
    Are you now or have you been banned on any servers? Which ones?
    No bans elsewhere at this time. I was permabanned off Baystation 3 years ago, give or take, for roleplaying a CO character with only a first name (an alien race character mimicking Grand Admiral Thrawn) and 'refusing to cryo', where in fact I was going to do so after handing down tasks to other crew members, as it was a code orange situation. I was typing out a response to the staffer to detail it when he banned me mid-sentence. My memory of the event may be a bit sketchy, but I believe any and all their bans at the time were perma until appeal, and the forum appeal was quickly denied by another member of staff for reasons unrelated to it (over 4 years of playing there and maining security I, along with a group of characters, have accrued a poor reputation among some members leaning toward more strict and bureaucratic roleplay style). Therefore the ban remained a permanent one despite the fact there was nothing to perma for.
    Do you play using a Virtual Machine?
    No
    Is your copy of Windows legitimate?
    No
    Do you connect using a VPN? If so, which provider?
    N/A
    Reason for Ban
    You have been banned by silencerpl.
    Reason: Banned for Homophobic comments in-game: Multiple homophobic IC insults combined with death threats based on perceived sexuality issued on a character in game, a very vulgar breach of our no racist/homophobic language rule. Considering they just came off a ban for breaking the same rule and the break was so through, a 30 day ban and a perma will be issued. Explain yourself on the forum if you believe this was issued in error..
    This is a temporary ban, it will be removed in 43800 minutes.
    Link to previous appeals for the same ban (if applicable):
    N/A
    Your appeal, including evidence (screenshots, etc). If you were in the wrong, explain what you did that was wrong, and describe how you have or will improve your behavior.
    I'll preface with saying I'm not a native English speaker nor entirely informed of some societal nuances such as the use of the word 'queer', of which I will elaborate below. I've also done my best to preserve all the logs of my interaction with the 'victim' in question for the sake of transparency and to save you time - although my chat bugged out and it was hard to do because of the ban, more logs may have to be posted by staff.

The story goes as follows: I was the squad leader of delta, and while attending briefing, I took notice of people making fun of a MP cadet with neon pink hair. Since my character doesn't like the MP's very much, I joined in on the fun as well as exerted my power as the NCO to order him to bring his hair into compliance with regulations, supported by the CMP. He denied us both. The briefing ended at that same time, so I left for cargo after the final phrase in the logs, not bothering to see if he's actually arrested or pressing the CMP on it.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I've missed first drop while I was collecting the rest of my gear, so another SL was temporarily assigned. On my way to the hangar, I saw the MPC again, and he started to follow me, 'dancing' around me silently. To pass the time and seeing as he hasn't complied with mine and the CMP's order, I continued to prod him. Do note that at no point in time I pressed the issue further ( to get him arrested OR punished by admins after he shot me later down the line, I wrote this off as an IC issue since this was too funny of an interaction). He reacted with death threats, I called his bluff with taunting, and it ended in him stunning me with a taser and then killing me with his revolver, as well as cuffing me.

Spoiler Spoiler:

While in ghostchat, I saw some very interesting things, such as him trying to lie to someone else about what happened, I didn't see who. The last two lines are him speaking to the doctor trying to revive me.

Spoiler Spoiler:

After I was revived, the MP nearby questioned us as to what happened. The cadet gave a reply and shot me to death again, which was witnessed by many, including the delta medic Vasili Christus, who ahelped the murder, in his words. I was revived once more and decided to share the funny story with my squad in the form of a meme.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Almost immediately after I was messaged by Silencer_pl and instantly banned, with my questions ignored.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Let us now go over Silencer_pl's messages and the ban reasoning.

1) 'made multiple derogatory homophobic comments' - as described above, I'm not a native English speaker, and not well versed in the dynamic and fluid speech norms that change often in our modern world. To my outsider knowledge, though seemingly out of date, the word 'queer' is acceptable (although insulting in the 60's), as is 'gay', ex. 'wow, that's rather queer of him to have piercings / pink hair / etc.', whereas the word 'faggot' and the like are clearly derogatory and insulting. An Australian acquaintance of mine confirmed this to me. If this is wrong, then as described, I was not aware of it and I acknowledge my mistake.

2) 'implied a death threat them due to their perceived sexuality' - as you can see above, no death threats have been made to the cadet. The only mention of this I've collected was the MPC himself lying to someone IC about it. Either he lied about it to staff as well, or Silencer_pl didn't bother to investigate the issue for unknown reasons.

3) 'you literally came off a similiar ban, issued by me' - the ban in question was a 'zero tolerance to racism escalation to 7 days' ban for saying 'че с ебалом хохлы' in OOC after a wave of anti-Russian jokes was made. I was offended and replied in kind, however the devil is in the details. To my recollection, the previous ban was escalated to 7 days because in the round prior to that I said 4 words in russian AFTER the round was over to a Russian-speaking queen I recognized the ckey of from round end stats in the chat. I was next to her and didn't use hivemind and was still warned by Segrain simply messaging me with 'Language.'. However, this wasn't actually a rule breach, as the English only rule allows it: 'All communications within the server (IC and OOC) should be done in English only. Phrases from other languages are fine but should not make up the majority of your conversations.'. Four words, 'ooo yebat' and 'vam pizda' as well as pointing at the queen once, clearly did not make up the majority of my conversation with the hivemind and the queen that round, and that was AFTER the round was over. This context is needed to observe the following chain of events:

I'm warned with a single word PM at round end for something that does not constitute a rule breach > Banned for a week the round after because 'you were just warned in the previous round, therefore I escalate to 7 days' > Banned for a month and filed for a perma because 'you were just banned for a week'.

Silencer_pl hasn't bothered to investigate the issue or question me at all, although questioning both parties has traditionally been the MO of CM staff for years - in BOTH of these cases he instantly went for the banhammer and to stack the ban. Had he done so a week ago, there might not have been a week ban, therefore there might not have been a month ban escalation two days ago. Similarly now, had he questioned me or actually investigated the logs, he would find that I never told the MP cadet to hang himself nor issued any threats. The seemingly complete indifference of Silencer_pl to any investigative work and his haste to simply drop the hammer and move on is rather a curious behavior, which I will leave to management to investigate unless they decide this warrants a separate staff report to gain traction.

Further, the rules state I may act hostile if I don't cross the line: 'Roleplaying hostile actions, beliefs or emotions through the use of profanity is permitted. However staff reserve the right to make calls on situations if a player has crossed the line. If a staff member tells you to stop, you stop.' - and so I did roleplay being hostile to the MP, as I often do.

As the rule goes, I was never made aware a line was crossed before being banned, or that the word 'queer' could constitute this rule break (I presumed that it didn't since if 'lighthearted' words like 'nigga' are allowed, then so would 'queer' - again, as opposed to 'faggot', which I know is derogatory). I never issued any death threats and in fact was murdered twice and lied about, and still I didn't take any action IC or called for staff to intervene; on the contrary, had I acted homophobic, I would've done all I could to make the life of this player and character worse, especially when he gave me the reason to by killing me, would I not? What really happened was I made fun of the MP, I took the loss that came with that in the form of being killed and my time wasted on being revived and answering questions, and was prepared to continue with my round as usual except for the ban.

In conclusion, I believe that while I may have overused the word 'queer', I used it while under impression that it was a mild one. Should this not be the case, I apologize - however I disagree with the implied homophobic intent as well as the rest of the ban reason, as this was all part of me roleplaying being hostile to MP's in the form of joking about his hair, as the rules allow it. In light of this, I request that the ban be lifted and the corresponding note struck from my record.
    Do you understand that making low-effort appeals (short/does not address the issue/shitposts) may lead to immediate denial and/or other types of consequences?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appeal assigned to Senior Admin for review.
    Viktor 'Iron' Mallard's service record:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been reassigned to me since Silencer was the one that placed the ban.

No one's buying your argument that you thought your use of the word was acceptable. While "queer" may sometimes be acceptable, the way in which you used it quite clearly was meant to be the center of disparaging remarks. As for the escalation I cannot see any issues there either. You were banned for 7 days due to zero-tolerance policy, then broke the same rule just after that ban expired.

Seeing as there is no mistaken or wrongful application of rules, and your defence is hardly credible at all the appeal is denied.