0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MessageCypher - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    MessageCypher

What is your discord username and handle?
    Aimless#0268

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+08

Player Name You Use Most?
    Michael Fitzgerald

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    No

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    Played plenty of XO on lowpop usually and have played SO occasionally, so I'm well-versed on the various things in CIC. I've picked up some tricks such as including screenshots of the tacmap, knowing what should be prepared pre-deployment, etc.
    However, should be noted that a significant portion of my experience in command was from 3 or 4~ years ago.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    31.8 hours of XO

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    111.4 hours of SL

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    Michael's reasoning as to why to become a CO was born out of his "experience" during the Betelgeuse Campaign and subsequent Battle of Tau Ceti IV.
    Previously, he'd been satisfied with his junior officer rank, intending to retire comfortably as a captain, at most. However, post-deployment, Michael became obsessed with proving himself to the Corps and to his fellow marines, stemming from some unknown failure during the campaign. This inferiority complex combined with a feeling of guilt to whomever he had failed drove him to climb the ranks - both to prove himself to his men whom he'd failed and to keep some other promise he had mostly forgotten due to the memory wipe.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Michael was satisfied with his lot in his life; being the illegitimate Luna-born son of some scion from a corporate sub-entity and safely hidden away on a lunar colony meant he had a cushy if not fragile existence in the UA. However after graduating from college and completing the reserve officer candidate program at the behest of his richer parent, he found himself sent into action during the Betelgeuse Campaign as a marine infantry platoon leader and subsequently participated in the Battle of Tau Ceti IV - both of which he has no recollection of and is classified by the USCM. Nobody knows what happened other than the fact that he had performed relatively well for a fresh lieutenant and that he'd participated in some fighting, but what is known is that after his medpod procedure, Michael was given a choice to further his career and undergo further training - or be honorably discharged.

He chose the former.

After a few years of additional training and field experience in relatively low-intensity conflicts and peacekeeping operations, he'd earned the rest of his stars - before being assigned his first post as a CO.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Fitz has a nightmare after his medpod proceedure.
    Heavily implied to be his memories from Tau Ceti IV, though it may not have happened at all.

Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    I believe it's appropriate to pardon a prisoner only when I'm sure they're not going to be a repeat offender and if crime is not too serious; as well as regarding the circumstances of the crime in question. It doesn't matter how important they may be - everyone has to follow the IC rules, whether they be a long time veteran, an important role in the round, or holding a high rank.

An example of a crime that could be pardoned is hooliganism or possessing "looted'" equipment (read: contraband). These may be pardoned as long as the individual in particular does not have a history of repeat offences. More serious crimes, such as NOD, insubordination, disorderly conduct, assault, and so on require more scrutiny on the circumstances: A marine ignoring orders due to the fact that the one issuing the order has no awareness of the situation may be pardoned. A marine that forces marines to commit to LRP activities such as bombing the req line for some petty reason, or commits some major crime with the intent of doing it again is not eligible for a pardon.

None of the capital crimes are eligible for pardoning unless under some extraordinary situation.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    Prefacing this with the fact that I believe a battlefield execution should only be reserved for the worst players who are actively ruining the round for others playing on the marine-side, and as much as possible, should be avoided and instead handled either through IC means or OOC means. Even if an individual I dislike is harassing me, that should be solved through in-character measures such as through Marine Law or some other unique way.

Someone who is actively trying to murder me is one example of when to blow their brains out and end the round for them. Another example of when to use BE is when an individual on the marine side is actively working to sabotage us directly or indirectly - this can result in a permabrig or an execution; both of which will take them out of the game permanently. In any case, I would only use the BE if ML allows.

Otherwise - a BE is reserved for people who are trying to mess with the round and make it unfun without any way to solve it otherwise. As much as possible, I'll try to follow a principle another CO imparted on me; "BEing is an LRP solution to LRP situations."

Additionally, under OOC stress, I probably won't be BEing anyone.
    Gotta be in a good state of mind if I want to make sound decisions.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes
    Last edited by messagecypher; 11-20-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitz is a good lad. I'll give him a +1 you've shown a generally good understanding of squad leadership in the time I've known you.

Maintainer Project Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you handle the following situations? There are definitely wrong answers but there is no 100% correct answer so try not to overthink it.

A group of deltas has decided they are not deploying today until they get their friend back who was arrested after hitting another man with a chair.
    A nurse accidentally blew up the chem room.
    You're deployed and expertly leading your men to victory when you get a message on the radio that your XO spontaneously combusted in CIC. Your Chief Medical Officer tells you it's one in a million and your Chief Engineer assures you he can handle CIC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. First and foremost, try to negotiate in some way or another to get them to deploy - maybe even pardon their friend for assault if the circumstances are right. However, I'm not going to delay deployment for the sake of that handful; if they don't want to deploy no matter what, then I'll charge them with insubordination and desertion to be carried out later since I still have an operation to run. The last resort would be to use ML and punitive measures to force them to deploy if one of their number is absolutely necessary for the operation, as it isn't in character for my CO nor is it any fun sic'ing MPs on people who believe they've been unfairly treated.

2. As long as it wasn't intentional, there's no real issue that should be dealt with personally. At the most, I should order the engineering department to fix the area, see what needs to be replaced or something, so on and so forth. As for the nurse themselves, the worst I can give them is an NJP unless there's a reason to hand out DTGP.

3. Go back to the Almayer and take command of the CIC. One of the conditions of deploying as a CO is to have an XO in CIC - not any other aCO.
    (also have the issue investigated because there is no way in hell someone can spontaneously combust)

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a a firm SL enjoyer, Fitz is one of the people who I'm always happy to see consistently and competently as a squad leader. Don't know ya that much as XO, don't care about XO. I like what I've seen on the ground, and that's good enough for more. Definite +1
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually seeing him in the field makes me know there's another level headed next to me, his callouts are spot on and as an XO, he reliably gives out the information we need when we need it. He's a solid SL and in general he's fun to interact with, on the Almayer or even at the front. Honestly I don't have much to say except that overall his performance is something we need more from commanding personnel. +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitz knows XO and SL in and out so he has that mentality required to be CO. I am giving him +1.

Maintainer Project Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya, Sammy is out of town and asked me to post the following for her:

"I'm sorry, man, but you recently got a bad note, and we have to suspend applications that have had notes applied to them for rulebreaks. We have nothing against you otherwise.

You can reapply in 30 days or later, starting December 24."

I hope you apply again brother.

This application is denied.