User Tag List

Thread: PC for Programming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC for Programming

As a first learner, I need detail specification of PC, Laptop to get everything well.

Now, my laptop has 4 RAM, interl core i-3 with 920 NVidia Ge-force. Is it OK to study programming language and to load the script such as PHP, JavaScript and many others. Actually I have been making an application of online shop but the browser can not load the script

Should my laptop be upgraded ?

What should I do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, please move this acid goop.

Second do you know what forum you're on? Sincerely. This is a 2-D spacemen forum.

Third. Programming is essentially just writing in a word processor and unless you plan to run like 20 VMs or are using a ridiculous IDE (you should'nt be doing any of these since you're just learning), then yes your PC is fine for everything you're going to be learning to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are planning to buy this laptop, don't it's really bad for 2019.

If you already have it, yeah it will do for programming and ss13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chromebook�

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slduggy View Post
    Third. Programming is essentially just writing in a word processor and unless you plan to run like 20 VMs or are using a ridiculous IDE (you should'nt be doing any of these since you're just learning), then yes your PC is fine for everything you're going to be learning to do.
    Yeah, basically this. The actual act of programming takes very minimal processor power: if it can run a text editor, you can write code. The real limiter here is what tools you're using, and how complex they are.

If you're using an interpreted language, like JavaScript or PHP, you'll need to have the interpreter installed. Javascript can just be run in a browser, or you could use something like Node to run it. I personally recommend avoiding PHP, it is the worst language in existence and is not a good language for learning how to program.

If you're using a compiled language, like C or C++, you'll need a compiler as well as some other things like the standard library to write and compile the code. Since compiled languages are usually more complicated than interpreted languages, you might want to wait on learning C++ until you've learned JavaScript or something similar.

If you know what an IDE is and plan to use one, keep in mind these tools are very feature-rich and as such are significantly more taxing on your computer than a simple text editor. 4GB of RAM may not be enough.

Remember, if all else fails, you can always code online to try things out with the language. For example, here's an online interpreter for Javascript: https://playcode.io/online-javascript-editor

If you need additional help, feel free to message me on Discord or on the forums. I'm always willing to help out people interested in programming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to care about videocard until you working with photo/videoeditors and I suppose this is not a case.

Intel core i-3 is okay CPU, I have this at my current laptop, although I have met some problems when was working on it because of only 4 Gb RAM it had. So I decide to upgrade RAM by adding 4 Gb more, so it have 8 Gb DDR3 1066 now(new memory should be exactly the same and for notebooks they are different). Oh I forgot to mention I was doing this just to play kerbal space program, no programming issues was involved there, because I was only start coding and didnt know much.

That laptop was working on win 7. Atm I'm working at PC with win 10(2.5 gb ram idle usage) and I have 8 gb here too, and its just right to work with browser, Java IDE and VM with linux.

Oh, and bro, what you may(or may not) really need - PC with 24' or multiple monitors setup!
    Before I was sitting with at 17' notebook with x768 res, then at 19' 1400x900 res and it was pain the ass to check manual and code, all this alt-tab shit was killing me, especially with virtual machine.
    Right now I have 27' 1080p and now I understand that my main problem with PC build was tiny monitor. Now I can do things more effectively - like playing in Subnautica(lol). I can have 6 windows at the moment at one monitor.
    (forget about monitors if your laptop have 1440p)

About browser didnt load a script, well... it could be just soft errors or bad connection.

Anyway, most IT companies will give you special notebook for work.