Podrick Equus#0134

Marine Name
    Sergio 'Bucket' Burkett

Other Whitelist Applications
    Character Information

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Lance

What is your Synthetic's Personality?
    Lance conducts himself like a benevolent member of a mid-1800s English aristocracy. He seems to believe himself to be of the "upper-class" so to speak, but is never opposed to helping out the less fortunate, of which he privately considers most humans to be. He has a large vocabulary and is fond of speaking formally and using mannerisms appropriate for the time period.

Despite not being able to eat or drink, he is fond of holding or admiring antique wines when he sees them. In addition, he enjoys discussing the historical time period of the mid-1800s when appropriate, though this opportunity seldom arises due to how long ago that time period was.

Lance may not be the newest synthetic, but he is far from old despite what his personality would have you believe.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I believe it is a role that I would enjoy playing, and one that I could use to help those I interact with enjoy CM more, whether it be through IC interactions, observers, or otherwise. I also like to think that I'm a nice enough person to be trusted with the role.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?
    I was unconscious and undergoing surgery as a rifleman when the Almayer was struck by a hijacked dropship that landed near medical. The doctor operating on me was blasted away and died, though I had survived the explosions by some miracle. By another miracle, the xenomorphs either did not see me or chose not to attack me. I laid there for several minutes waiting to be killed, when suddenly a synthetic found and freed me from the table, then hefted me away. I woke up as they were running through a hallway and he placed me into an evacuation pod, telling me to leave while I still could. I informed them that I still had an open wound from the incomplete surgery. The synthetic nodded, then told me to wait there. A short time passed, then they returned with some ghetto surgical tools and evacuated with me, as there were aliens chasing them. We engaged in conversation while the surgeries were being finished, but unfortunately, I had lost enough blood that nothing short of an emergency transfusion or extended cryosleep would keep me alive. The synthetic woke me long enough to inform me of this, then I nodded and thanked them. We both entered cryosleep afterward.

Synthetic Character Story
    //The following short story can be considered a brief interaction between Lance and a fictional Corporate Liaison that he is acquainted with.//

"Really Lance, this is too much. I don't need a fancy party to promote the Company amongst the marines."

Despite having known him for several months now, Mrs. Cawthorn had always found Lance to be inscrutable. When she learned that the USCM ship she was aboard had a synthetic, she went out of her way to try and befriend Lance to try and enlist him in helping her with Company interests. As time went on, she thought that she would start to understand him better, though the opposite seemed to occur instead.

"Why Mrs. Cawthorn, the marines would never have agreed to sign your papers if there was not a 'fancy part' for them to attend," Lance explained, "I was sure that you would understand the intricacies of the USCM's social structure by now, my dear."

Rowdy laughter nearly drowned out their conversation. The cafeteria was packed to the brim with everything from formally dressed officers to armor-toting riflemen, many of which Mrs. Cawthorn suspected harbored a distaste for the Company.

Mrs. Cawthorn grimaced, "Such intricacies are difficult to keep track of when seemingly innocent gestures could turn into a fistfight or bloodbath at any moment."

As the ambient music shifted to a less bombastic tune, Lance offered her a hand. "You are more popular here than you think, Mrs. Cawthorn. I assure you that they will forgive any unintended slights. Now come, they are expecting a speech from you."

Mrs. Cawthorn frowned slightly, but took his hand in hers nonetheless. "A speech? Not that I'm refusing, but it would have been helpful to know this in advance."

Lance simply smiled at her as a father would to a nervous child. "You'll get a knack for sensing these things when you're older, young Cawthorn."

"Don't patronize me, I'm a mother of two," grumbled Mrs. Cawthorn, "And I'm older than you, you know."

"Perhaps in body, but not in spirit." She could have sworn that she saw him smirk.

As Lance guided her up to the podium, the music reached its climax. Mrs. Cawthorn looked upon the vast crowd in front of her which now seemed to eagerly await her impromptu speech.

"Before Mrs. Cawthorn begins, I would like to say a few words," Lance began, "As many of you are aware, she is a representative of Weyland-Yutani. Though this may offend some of you, let me be the first to say that she is a wonderful human, one who I believe holds the best interests of the marines in mind. Over the course of our operation here in the outer perimeter, she has proven to be quite knowledgeable in all manner of subjects, including history. History that, mind you, is more relevant in this day and age than it has ever been before." Lance paused to turn to Mrs. Cawthorn, offering her a slight bow before returning his attention to the crowd, "I hope that you will grant her the same respect that I do."

With Lance's departure from the podium, Mrs. Cawthorn took a deep breath, then began to address the USCM's finest.

Experience

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    Fairly. I can perform Engineering duties to a serviceable degree.

How familiar are you with Command?
    I am very familiar with all aspects of Command.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    I like to think of myself as an expert in Medical, as Doctor is my most played job.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Fairly. I can perform Requisitions well enough to get the job done.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    1 - I am tending to the wounds of a USCM marine, when suddenly a hostile enemy attacks either me or the marine I am treating. I can choose to attack the hostile enemy, but if I do, I must stop as soon as it flees or is unable to continue attacking us.

2 - A UPP soldier is attacking me while I am traveling between two areas. Since they are not a part of the USCM, I can choose to engage them until they are sufficiently disabled or dead, though killing them should be a last resort.

Confirmations

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Discord Ban Reason
    -

Other Information

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    Not at this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Thanks for applying for the WL, was wondering if/when you'd apply since you're so passionate about Synths.

These are just my opinions so, for starters your personality. With your "Upper class" attitude, I'm hoping you won't talk down or be aggressive with the superiority display but otherwise I think your quirk is pretty nice and I'd like to see how'd you play it out, always fun to learn a bit about history.

Story
    I do think asking other users of the Synth WL for opinions on your story would help in this category. Your story does display how your Synth would interact with others which is what we need to see, very formal I must say my good sir, though having more shown off would be beneficial.

Experience
    I cannot vouch any category because I simply haven't seen you perform in any of these categories, or rather have a somewhat memorable interaction with to let myself know "Hey they're playing this role." I'd appreciate if, for every support role, you gave detailed examples of each category on your experiences, what do you know what the average Joe doesn't and apply it efficiency in made up scenarios.

Also while your app is ongoing, try playing the support roles, ex. Medic, Comtech, Doc, CT/RO, SO/XO. Something that just gets your name out there.

Combat

Your first example is satisfactory, but your second example. From what I understand reading this, you're outside the protection of FOB and you're attacked by an active gunman. You are going out of your way, to charge a person shooting you, risking your self preservation to seek combat, to take down the foe. I'd understand this situation if an Xeno spitter was going out of their way because they tend to resort to melee sometimes, but not a gunman who's rate of fire would out beat your melee restrictions. Unless they're in your face, I wouldn't risk the self preservation rule.

Keep this in mind, USCM/ Survivor Synthetic spawned roles are not killers and should be focusing on support rather than focusing on combat. Combat is last resort for yourself and those who cannot defend themselves. I am glad you mentioned you wouldn't kill the UPP soldier.

Overall, I cannot give this app a +1, but I'm not going to -1 it either. I have faith you're an underdog in this situation but you have to put in the work if you want your app accepted. I understand if staff duties get in the way, was like that for me during my first CO app but you can do it!

(Side note, I appreciate you getting the advance surgery tools for me during the Solaris round. Sadly I couldn't use them, was a busy round)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small issue, Bishop is commonly known by his surname but the full name is Lance Bishop, while it doesn't match the same pattern we use of the single name I believe it's still "occupied".

Going to take some more time to digest the other stuff before making a more thorough entry.

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeBiggest View Post
    These are just my opinions so, for starters your personality. With your "Upper class" attitude, I'm hoping you won't talk down or be aggressive with the superiority display but otherwise I think your quirk is pretty nice and I'd like to see how'd you play it out, always fun to learn a bit about history.
    The character would not talk down to or lord over others at all, and in fact, he holds great respect for many who he sees as educated or "noble-like" in personality, as evidenced in the short story about him and the fictional CL. Those that do not have either of those traits are treated as a kind lord would treat a commoner: With consideration and politeness, but there is a distinct gap between him and them.

Story
    I do think asking other users of the Synth WL for opinions on your story would help in this category. Your story does display how your Synth would interact with others which is what we need to see, very formal I must say my good sir, though having more shown off would be beneficial.
    If others wish to see more then I am happy to provide such short stories, though it will take me a bit of time to write them.

Experience
    I cannot vouch any category because I simply haven't seen you perform in any of these categories, or rather have a somewhat memorable interaction with to let myself know "Hey they're playing this role." I'd appreciate if, for every support role, you gave detailed examples of each category on your experiences, what do you know what the average Joe doesn't and apply it efficiency in made up scenarios.
    Unfortunately, I had taken a several-months-long hiatus from CM, returning only about a month ago. This might be why you and others haven't seen me play many support or auxiliary roles very much. I can however tell you that I am well versed in all of these support roles, and have interacted with all of them enough to know the ins and outs of each role, though engineering is admittedly my weakest link of the bunch.
    Though since you have asked for detailed examples for each, I will provide them:

Medical: My most skilled position. As a doctor, I start each round immediately heading towards chemistry to make the usual mixes of IA/MB/KD/TB/etc for medics before they ask for them, as well as one simple mix that I am fond of: 15u Oxycodone pills. I'd make them 20u, but the slightly lower amount reduces the risk of accidental overdose. Furthermore, I can perform surgery well enough that I can easily make small talk with my patient (if they are conscious). As a medic, I am exceptionally good at triage and ensuring that as many dead/wounded as possible can be saved from permadeath. If a patient has a popped lung or other condition that will cause them to pass out, I always inform them of this and provide enough medication for them to make it back to the FOB should they heed my advice to return there.

Command: As the Executive Officer, I always check in with the CO or SOs (if they are present) about ideas for how to conduct the coming operation. Teamwork is important, especially so in CIC when all parties need to be on the same page to ensure that minimal miscommunication occurs during the operation. One person gets assigned to dialing/firing OBs, another to constantly look between helmet cams to spot marines that have been picked off or enemy movements, another to relay orders to the squads, etc. Some roles may be combined or dropped entirely depending upon the number of personnel in CIC, or if the CO wishes to deploy, or if my attention is needed elsewhere on the ship, or for any number of other reasons.

Engineering: Truthfully I do not enjoy playing the role very much, but I am well-versed in how it works and what a good FOB looks like. Barricade lines should maximize the amount of friendly personnel that can fire from behind them while minimizing the amount of enemies that can attack the barricades at any given time. Tight spaces in between cade lines are typically not a very good idea, as things can become very congested during FOB sieges, and boilers or a misplaced explosive can ruin the marines' day. The times that I do play engineer I often stick to the FOB, and I always do rounds every few minutes to ensure that a sneaky borrower or the like isn't trying to pull a fast one by utilizing a less-patrolled location to gain entrance into the FOB.

Requisitions: Though I sometimes like to play Requisitions, I often find it boring if the round lasts a long time. Some immediate purchases of metal and plasteel are made, as well as setting up the first few supply crates. Soon enough the marines get into line and I start handing out items. I know where nearly everything is in the vendors, so I don't keep them waiting too long. I will occasionally withhold some items if a marine demands all of a rare or valuable commodity. For example, it would be foolish to entrust a single rifleman with the entire grenade box.

Combat

Your first example is satisfactory, but your second example. From what I understand reading this, you're outside the protection of FOB and you're attacked by an active gunman. You are going out of your way, to charge a person shooting you, risking your self preservation to seek combat, to take down the foe. I'd understand this situation if an Xeno spitter was going out of their way because they tend to resort to melee sometimes, but not a gunman who's rate of fire would out beat your melee restrictions. Unless they're in your face, I wouldn't risk the self preservation rule.

Keep this in mind, USCM/ Survivor Synthetic spawned roles are not killers and should be focusing on support rather than focusing on combat. Combat is last resort for yourself and those who cannot defend themselves. I am glad you mentioned you wouldn't kill the UPP soldier.
    I would like to specify that I had stated "I can choose to engage them", not "I will engage them". Though, in my head, I had envisioned a scenario where I could not flee without being pursued and gunned down, and for that, I apologize for miswording my statement. Obviously, a synthetic should attempt to avoid conflict, though acting to pacify a non-USCM threat to the synthetic in that situation is well within their programming if I understand correctly. Please yell at me if I am mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Katskan View Post
    Small issue, Bishop is commonly known by his surname but the full name is Lance Bishop, while it doesn't match the same pattern we use of the single name I believe it's still "occupied".
    I had no idea about this, so I did some digging into the official lore. Nowhere in the movies does it state that his name is Lance, only "L. Bishop" on a single monitor in a single scene in the movie Aliens. His actor's real name is Lance, however, and I did not know that at the time of writing.

I would like to state that the character of Lance that I am proposing here is not a reference to Bishop in any way (because I had no idea of any possible connection). Instead, I based the character on "Lance Incarnat", who is an original character that I use in my D&D campaigns. I am a dungeon master, so I use and make a lot of characters. That character is a benevolent vampire noble in service of the local king's niece, who shares many similarities with the personality I have proposed above.

I hope that distinguishes my proposed character of "Lance" enough for your tastes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again!

It's been over a week since your app has been posted and myself nor others haven't seen you play the game as the specified support roles during the time your Synth app is up. I will admit I saw your name Sergio pop up once as a medic but I couldn't observe due to it being very late for me but you should be playing these roles consecutively, not just once and be done with it. You have the potential and I believed it but if you're unable to put in the work then I sadly cannot support your Synthetic app

This is a -1 from me. Your answers are satisfactory but I want to see it displayed in-game and you need to stand out while playing so you don't be another face to forget. I wish you luck for your app.

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With due respect, I've been clocking in a lot of additional time in various support roles over the past few weeks. However, due to my IRL job, the recent holiday season, and my responsibilities as an administrator, I do not get to play as often as I would like. I would however like to keep this application open, but I do not know what else I can say if others simply do not comment on it.

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Podrick, thank you for your application!

Your personality and quirk is pretty decent, it is definitely doable for ingame usage.

PS your interaction was a enjoyable read

Your story was a satisfactory read, which did good to show your Synthetic's quirk and RP capabilities. However, your story could use more elaboration to showcase your personality further or in more depth.

However, your experience responses were lacking(I read the reply and that was much better).

Your combat examples were also strange, you should try to think of ingame scenarios when you might need to participate in combat. Your answers were not necessarily wrong, but very specific and almost unnatural.

You have a pretty good reputation for support roles, however at its face value your application does seem below the standards. If you could do it again I would definitely go ahead and elaborate more on your answers if nothing else(though your story could use some more, too), you can't have too much but you can definitely have too little. Keep in mind every application to be accepted will more or less be an example and standard of future Synthetic applications. Think about whether or not yours will be meeting that bar.

I understand the holiday season is busy, I myself was on several trips this month! So don't worry too much about that.

However, you should ask yourself whether or not you think the application coupled with support(and coming support) is enough to be accepted, or if you'd rather withdraw and make a better application. It's your choice and you can let the application sit if you'd like

PS Your name is fine.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The personality is decent, but it could use some work. Advanced synthetics have been able to eat and drink for some time, and it has been in the game for some time. Your story has some good dialogue in it, but it should be more expanded upon. The experience answer you give are lacking, not in the knowledge that you state having, but it lacks the lessons learned and how you believe it may be important in playing synthetic. In the attempts to observe your gameplay, you were found to be playing non-susport roles which makes it difficult to assess your skill level, and that includes keeping the application open for an extended period due to the holidays. At this time, this is denied. Take the time to polish your application as they are used as example for future applications. We look forward to your reapplication.