Byond ID?
    AccointNaim

Discord ID?
    Someone Random#5544

Marine Name
    Tristen Keener | Xenomorph DI-E2

Other Whitelist Applications
    //showthrea...ic-Application

I had an accepted Commander application but I can't find it, I was removed from the whitelist in the old-player purge

I also vaguely remember applying for Predator? But I can't find it either or know if it really happened.

Character Information

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    James

What is your Synthetic's Personality?
    A 1980s early 2000s interpretation of a scientist (Have you played Half Life 1?) made for use in scientific exporation, deep space scanning, and field wound treatment.

They usually make scientific remarks on various things and attempting to figure out how they work and their potential uses, "How intriguing, it grows to an adult in less than a few hours... I do wonder what causes this rapid growth, and if we may apply that to any of our industries, food perhaps? Or maybe even the Artificial Womb program. Oh, the possibilities are endless!"

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    Aside from the obvious mechanical applications (Faster defibbing and surgery, new gear and equipment.) I don't particularly enjoy playing one role at a time such as cargo tech, engineer, pilot officer, researcher and doctor as it grows limiting and I often dont have anything to do other than talk over the radio.

Synthetic allows me to do all of the support roles in a single round, never running out of anything to do. And this isn't even mentioning the roleplay potential of being a Synthetic like how you respond to marines, or trying to think like a robot would. Also Working Joes, they're funny little fellas and I'd like to play one.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?
    All of my interactions with Synthetics were pretty nice, but the most memorable was one performing bone repair surgery on the ground.

Synthetic Character Story
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

"Lights flicker on and off in the maintenance closet illuminating a gruff looking guard slumped against the wall holding an HG37 shotgun, slightly corroded around the sides. The sides of the room are neglected and only look bearable due to the amount of custodial and maintenance supplies covering it. Water drips from a vent in the ceiling merging into a small puddle on the floor. A young janitor is staring at a researcher on the floor, labcoat stained with blood, while an old balding man in a similar labcoat stands over them with medical supplies."

Experience

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    8/10 I know how to make a solid defensive line with barricades and how to space them. I know how to repair an APC (both kinds) and (de)construct walls.

I do not know the more obscure engineering constructions like fire alarms or the necessary stock parts for constructible machinery without looking at the wiki.

How familiar are you with Command?
    6.5/10 I know how to operate the Overwatch consoles and direct medics towards defibable bodies. I have 160 hours in Xenomorph Queen and know Xenomorph strategies and how to counter them. I know to scream at the marines like they're toddl- Constantly remind marines of their objectives to make sure they don't split up.

I do not know how to competently command the marine force. I do not know the best tactics for marines to follow.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    9/10 This is my best skill so far. I know how to perform surgeries, and how best to repair multiple bonefractures at once, I also know that QuickClot allows you to skip the first retractor step entirely with no downside.

I am pretty competent at chemistry, but not the best. I know how to make IA without looking at the wiki and know what the overdose limits are for most non-obscure chemicals.

I know how to revive someone from 600 burn/brute, stabilize a near-death marine to avoid defibbing, where and when to defib. I also know how to triage, but I haven't been in many situations where it was needed.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    7/10. I know what to put in a standard FOB supply crate, I can listen to marines orders and figure out whether its something the budget can or cannot handle. I know what ammunitions are in highest demand and which are lowest and account accordingly.

I can competently do the attachment line and rarely have to ask for what an acronym for an attachment is.

I do not however have much playtime doing requisitions proper (Not enough to unlock RO).

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Regular synthetic scenario. Runner pounces and gets stunned by the Synthetics capabilities, and gets smacked with a fire axe a couple of times and goes crit. Are there marines nearby? If not, then you can smack it until it dies. If there is, inform them of an unconscious hostile and be on your way. Was it on the front? If so, you shouldn't of done that since there were many marines nearby and you had better things to do.

Hijack scenario, you're defending lifeboats and xenos are quite literally up against the wall, in this case, your barricades. You may attack them while they're slashing the barricades unless there's an unattended corpse, nearly broken barricade or hole in the wall that needs cading.

Synthvivor scenario. You're protecting your little holdout from xenomorphs attacking it. Survivor knocks a xeno into crit five or so tiles away from your barricade and for some reason can't fire again. Are there any xenomorphs nearby? If so, don't chase it as they may kill you thus violating self preservation. Are there no xenomorphs nearby? You may run out of the barricades for a few quick seconds to finish it off, if you get caught offguard and get warrior stunned and killed in five seconds, this was just a gross misjudgement on your part and is just a skill issue, and not a violation of synthetic programming.

Confirmations

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Discord Ban Reason
    -

Other Information

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I want to thank Lagomorphica for helping with general synthetic questions, Destis, Katskan, Masar and Binspin for helping with proofreading the story and providing feedback. I don't think I could of done it without help.

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Naim, thank you for your application.

To start, your personality/quirk is alright, but quite word heavy. You may want to think about modifying it so that it remains interesting yet is viable in round to round gameplay - unless you don't mind typing out a slurry of words, but it can get very tiring, especially if there's time constraints.

The most memorable interaction isn't something reviewed but .. your most memorable interaction was a synthetic on the ground fixing bone breaks? You should elaborate.

Your story has a wonderful premise and an interesting setting. However it falls short because of vocabulary and diction. You could definitely benefit from improving vocabulary to make things more interesting - instead of "old man" you can use "gruff, older male with a dark expression", and for diction you can get better flow - instead of "security measures are quite secure" you could just rephrase it as "we had taken every measure to follow security procedures.". Sentences like these border on becoming tongue twisters or just not being useful(of course security measures are used for securing) - which would detract from the way a Synthetic should speak and is generally unwanted in writing.
    There are other problems with the flow of your story. For example, "Misguided at worst and uninformed at best the Synthetic thinks, looking over at the officer, obviously in a state of panic it thinks, clouding his judgment and rational decision making." is not only too verbose but just .. strange. I understand you want to give some insight to the train of thought that James has, but that is too convoluted.

Your experience answers were well done and your honesty there improves your application!

Your combat questions were explorative and good job on doing that. However it's not really correct. Your second example would have been correct even if it wasn't hijack - but hijack is Delta level, and the other 2/3 examples you gave would be considered very aggressive and may even incur penalties with the way you described them. A synthetic has no worry about damaged xenomorphs and it will not go out of its way to finish off a non-threat. However, Synthetics are also intelligent and will use logical deducing to tell if a xenomorph in that situation would return to be a threat again or if it's in an active combat scenario. In other words, a passive xenomorph or when there's other elements around to secure the threat would be of no matter to the Synthetic. But the Synthetic does know if a xenomorph would get out of crit, heal, and come back to threaten them in such a manner that would impact their self preservation negatively. If there were reinforcements enroute that would arrive on time, or a way to escape reasonably and safely, then it wouldn't be necessary. For example, in the case of running outside of the barricade to kill a xenomorph in crit while there are still capable humans near, in 19/20 scenarios it would be a bad call. The only exception here is that Synthvivors are on Delta level programming if needed.

PS You may want to play more support roles to garner more attention to your name and hopefully get some people to vouch for you! Good luck on your application

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback! I do agree that my quirk is a bit word heavy, but I think I can handle it. I'm not really sure how I could modify it to be in line with the more frantic pacing of ground combat but I'll think of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
    The most memorable interaction isn't something reviewed but .. your most memorable interaction was a synthetic on the ground fixing bone breaks? You should elaborate.
    As for this, I probably should of been more specific. A synthetic, probably Phelan from what I've seen in recent weeks, forced a marine onto the ground (not groundside) and fixed their bonebreaks without a portable surgery table.

For the story feedback, I thought I actually solved all the writing issues in the story. I'll try and focus on my wording before I play Synthetic proper, being more direct and a bit less wordy. Maybe write down some interactions in Whitelist Help and see if people think it's alright.

And finally, the combat questions feedback. Glad this got caught and brought to my attention before I got accepted or denied, I probably shouldn't of put so many delta level scenarios in there, and I should of elaborated that Delta Level Programming was in effect for those scenarios. May I also ask what exactly is wrong with the "Regular synthetic scenario" I described so I can avoid any issues with combat in the future?

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those sound good to me. I think you have the right mindset for success and I do see you being a synthetic in the future! I believe with some vouches to your RP and support-capabilities, and a bit of polish in all aspects(app, and ingame), you have a very good chance of becoming a synthetic in this one or the next!

As a bit of a prospective question, what do you think a Colony Synthetic should do, and how do you think you would RP James as the Colony's Synthetic? What might be the most interesting parts for you?
    Assume for a standard round where you will progress from interacting with Colonists, to a possible conflict against xenomorphs, and then the arrival of Marines. How will you greet your fellow colonists? Will you go to the ship of the Marines? Will you stay on the planet to continue research with your quirk, or maybe even surgery? etc. Bit of an open ended question and no answer is wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, do you know how I could get vouches without the "Do not advertise your application" rule? It seems kind of hard to get feedback on your application with most people not knowing it exists. Can I mention it offhand during conversations like "Oh, yeah, I have a synth app up." or is that breaking the rule? As for the polish can you give me the specific areas I need to improve in? You can message me on discord for these if you want.

As for the other questions, I honestly don't know what a colony synthetic should do. On one hand, the survivors are relying on you to provide medical and engineering aid for them so that they can survive the initial xenomorph attacks. On the other hand I personally think Synthvivor is a roleplay role first and foremost and should be there to provide a sense of the colony still somewhat functioning despite the outbreak, and to give xenomorphs the ability to roleplay with someone who isn't another xeno, but this comes at the cost of the human survivors being mad OOCly at you for not helping. I think a middleground is the best option, help the survivors when you can with whatever they ask of you, and perform roleplay when they don't have anything for you to do. I'll ask some synthetics I've seen as survivor on what they do, but I think I have a pretty good idea on how to play as one.

I'd roleplay James as a researcher and archeologist in the synthvivor role as I think there's a ton of opportunity there, like with Trijent's buried Engineer ship or LV-426's predator temple, of course theres also many things you could do on other maps as well, maybe go around taking samples of various permafrost rocks on Shiva, taking notes of the frozen xenoids on Fiorina or managing the research labs on Solaris. I'd likely use something along the lines of this as a greeting, "Good evening, despite this inconvenience I will be resuming my scientific/archeological duties. If you require anything from me, please do tell, and I'll see what I can do to help." This will make it known I'm not going to be beside them for the entire survival period, and gives them the option to ask for anything they need like medical supplies, barricades, or weapons.

With the arrival of the marines I'd make smalltalk with them about my duties if they come across me and the wonders of whatever I'm doing, "It's fascinating, isn't it? This temple was here far before the colony was set up. Who, or what could have made something like this?" "I haven't had much time to study this inscription on the wall, but the words I decoded are incredible. This one wall could keep xenoarcheologists busy for years.", I wouldn't go out of my way to offer surgery, but if they come to me specifically asking, I'd go to help before going back to whatever I was doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we say we see a very word-heavy RP/personality, this is what we mean-

In contrast I have a certain way of speaking but a very particular way of acting. As you stated an example is holding someone down for a surgical procedure, that is a symptom of my character's personality as a burnt-out Urban Search and Rescue unit. I tend to use proper tools because USAR is planning on medical care, but I also do things dirtier and with more fieldwork shortcuts because of the pre-hospital environment. I also tend to tell people, nicely, to suck it up if they complain about pain and am generally going for a drained/wanting to do something more significant attitude.

A simple action of doing ground surgery on someone is the result of several different intersections of personality. That's what we mean by word-heavy, is imagine if you couldn't speak in a round could you still portray a unique person, having a clear vision of how they act and react? A lot of the time especially as shipside you don't get the opportunity to type more than a few words unless you deliberately remove yourself from high action areas.

As far as vouches go you don't ask for them, playing the roles WL'd synthetics observe either as players in the same round or in spectate and check up on applicants in relevant roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok this has sat dead in the water for a bit, but I've finally made my choice.

This is a good application, with a lot of promise and potential.

However you have not got enough play time hours, and have not played enough for me to be able to judge you ability in all the departments properly. In fact you have not played enough recently for me to even notice you in game.

All you need to do is apply again after reaching out to me or the other councillors to make sure your app is as good as it can be and logging more time as a doctor, medic, engineer, CT/RO to prove to us councillors watching that you can do the jobs synthetics are required to do.

Sorry, but I can't give you anything but a -1 until the above has been addressed.
    If you have CM brain rot don't talk to me.

Less than polite marine Rob Warraker
    Synthetic Units Rook and Monty
    Elite Yautja S'kra K'wii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been playing CMSS13 for quite a while now. Because of this I'm asking for my application to be withdrawn.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Applicant has withdrawn his application. When you have the time, feel free to run your story and quirk past the members of the synth council to doublecheck. You are also allowed to ask the council and members of the WLs on clarifications of guidelines, particularly for combat questions.