0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

janspader - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    janspader

What is your discord username and handle?
    ������������������������ �������������������������������������������������� ����������������#3640

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+8

Player Name You Use Most?
    Celestine 'Cherub' Chyler

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    Have you been banned in the last 3 months?
    N/A

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I would argue that I am quite proficient with Command Positions. I may not have the most hours as SO but I do have a decent amount of SL hours and XO hours. I am also quite proficient in Marine Law despite my limited MP hours due to the amount of appeals I have handled. I am also quite aware of the roles of most department heads although I will argue that I have the most hours department head wise as RO.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    As of this application, I currently have 1065 hours as Executive Officer

Approximately how many hours do you have as Squad Leader at the time of writing this application?
    60.9 Hours as of this Application

Basic Questions & Story

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?
    Years of service serving under numerous Commanding Officers, both on warships such as both Conestoga and the later Bougainville class attack transports as well as on planetary garrisons, earned her the recommendations from several fellow officers. Originally, Celestine was hesitant, quite content to serve as a loyal executive officer under whomever she was assigned to. However the encouragement from her fellow officers and friends within the marines finally made her take the next step in her career with the USCM. Realising that this also meant Celestine could better take care of her men sealed her decision to accept a promotion from High Command and a command of her own, realising that her last CO's words to her, "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" made her square her shoulders and walk into a uncertain future, given the cold war between the UPP and the UA.

How did your character attain the position of CO?
    Celestine came from old money. Born in the United Americas to a British father, she grew up mostly in the United States in the quiet forests of Oregon with the occasional summers spent at her father's family estate in the Scottish Highlands. A disagreement with her mother's highly traditional military family had her sent off to the Military as a form of appeasement for her Maternal Grandfather.

Celestine started her career out of Officer Cadet School as a Lieutenant, serving on the USS Chesterfield as a Staff Officer. A few minor engagements with a couple of pirates saw her promoted to Executive Officer, skippering a few light corvettes and patrolling shipping lanes for piracy on the edges of the Core Worlds. Dutiful execution of her duties ensured her commendations from her superiors overseeing her sector.

The rise of the CLF threat in the Neroid Sector saw her transferred to Fort Virtue as a temporary assignment as no other ship was available for her at the moment. However, low recruitment numbers and rising numbers of threats and public outcry in the Outer Rim due to years of neglect from Megacorporations such as Weyland Yutani, Seegson and many others caused the Outer Worlds to view Earth as a increasingly distant Government where they had little to no representation. This meant UAAC forces were often stretched thin trying to cover multiple bases and tackling numerous problems.

The boiling point finally happened on Netheon IV. Home to a strategically located developed colony meant as a centre of industry and distribution of goods back to the Core Worlds, the CLF found the colony of Virtue to be a prime target for seizure in an attempt to disrupt UA power projection capability into the Neroid Sector.

The Battle for Virtue fortunately ended in a USCM victory thanks to timely reinforcements from the USS Saratoga. Celestine having taken command due to the incapacitation of the Command team of the garrison was noted by High Command for a promotion after finding a vacancy for a Commanding Officer aboard a ship in the Third Fleet.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Scenarios

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner? Give an example.
    When the crime is Major or Minor, and if it is in the best interest of the operation provided the criminal in question is not in the brig for a very good reason.
    For example. A doctor might have been overwhelmed by the demands of Medbay before deployment and accidentally messed up the custom chemicals he was producing for medics, causing a casualty. Arguably this is Neglect of Duty, however it is an understandable case. As such to avoid a lengthy appeal as doctors are always needed I would pardon the doctor as long as there is evidence to suggest his story is truthful. An announcement including the name, reason of pardon and crimes of the marine in question must then be performed. This is also provided the marine is not a repeat offender that I have pardoned previously within the same operation.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution? Give an example.
    I find that Battlefield Executions are best used when a person presents a serious threat to the operation in a short time. I believe it should only be used sparingly, such as for example, a researcher experimenting on Xenomorphs without the approval and knowledge of the Command team and refusing to stand down and even attempt to defend his experimentation as such actions could have very dire outcomes for the marines as mishandling of the situation could cause a shipside xenomorph outbreak that could spiral out of control with most of the ship's marine complement planetside. This would very quickly result in the marines losing their support base aboard and being cut off and destroyed groundside, trapped in FoB with no where else to go. However I would only BE if I have no alternative such as the researcher refusing to stand down and comply with an arrest and thus showing no remorse for his actions. BEs must also be performed with methods that do not cause collateral damage. OBs, Mortars, CAS and even grenades are not allowed as BE options. An announcement must there after be made informing of the reason, name of marine and crime. BEs must be performed in person and not by proxy, it must also be done in a humane method that does not prolong suffering and as such firearms are preferred. BEs also cannot be performed on a suspect in custody unless on Delta alert(Hijack). A suspect is in custody the moment they are in cuffs.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Do you understand that you represent the CO whitelist and that while playing CO as any character, you must adhere to the CO Code of Conduct, Server Rules, and Roleplay Standards?
    Yes
    Last edited by Shay Silverlocke; 12-28-2022 at 07:18 AM.

Maintainer Project Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record I gave the applicant permission to edit the post after 1 hour to fix their story link. Should be not edited after this post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I deferred commenting on your original application, having not really focused much on closely watching new applicants at that time - seeing that previous app be declined certainly piqued my interest, and having watched over (and served under) you in your XO rounds on a number of occasions, I think, generally, you have what it takes - with some concerns and considerations.

I'm pretty in-line with Morrow's previously stated thought process, which is that the frequency of your playing is irrelevant and shouldn't be docked against you - it's about how you perform in those rounds which is of importance. On that front, broadly, I think you're passable. You obviously have a grasp on the mechanics of command, and you're reasonably 'quick to the punch' with respect to communication, getting tasks/announcements done, and so on. From a consistency standpoint, I personally have not noticed any issues with fluctuations in your performance on a round-to-round basis. Obviously some rounds go well and some don't, but I would say you're more-or-less on-par with other COs in terms of command capabilities.

As far as the app itself goes - it's not Shakespeare by any stretch, but the storytelling is passable and you're broadly capable of 'holding your own' in RP contexts (though I think there's sometimes a tendency towards roboticism/a focus on the actual command aspect of the rounds).

The one thing I'm 'concerned' about is how your behavior will deviate as a CO versus as an XO, and that's something I'm not fully sure I felt was clear to me when reading the app. Specifically, you make sure to mention the BE rules in your answer of what's appropriate, and that's fine and good, but I think what's more important is understanding what you interpret to be constituting a "serious threat to the operation". That's ultimately what's gonna determine, the mundanity of BE rule compliance aside, what does or does not land you in hot water. I don't know if the Council would want to expand upon that with questions (I certainly will not ask any), but keep that in mind.

Having said all of that, I think you've corrected a lot of the issues people voiced previously, and I'm largely satisfied with your performance. I'm going to lead the charge with a tentative - but supportive - +1, presuming that no new information or issues (notes, etc) arise during the process.

Should this app go through, seeing you navigate the jungle that is #command-center is gonna be fun to watch.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Questions:

A jtac spotter lazes in an OB saying it will kill a lot of t3s and maybe even queen. You assume this due to queen being where most of the t3s are. You aim and press fire but the coords are being blocked. Turned out the coord is directly ontop of a new hive core. The coords are LAT 240, LONG 210. There is an area north of the hive core which is unprotected. Maybe 12 tiles. There are marines south, but half a dozen will be severely hurt from OB. The hive core just got destroyed. What do?

Alpha squad has no SL. It has 12 ungas in it. You assign an aSL. Charlie Squad has 8, but an SL who seems sane. Charlie SL asks for a command headset to lead alpha squad and perhaps others. What do? Do you alter orders to keep those two squads together or do you deny? Why?

A xeno boards the transport. There is not a single person on the transport. You saw it just as the transport's auto run launches it from FOB. What do?

Its xeno hijack and the queen just crashed into the almayer. You, by chance, appear to be about 1 screen away. You have all your CO gear on you. What do?

It's LV. You're slowly losing. You have a nice HE OB prepped and have been asking for coords for a while but no one gives it. The fighting is at containers/cave entrance in the north east. The marines just got pushed out of the caves and it's going to be a full retreat to hydro very soon. There aren't that many xenos left, but they're robust, queen is out and their carrier is frontline capping and putting marines in nests near the cave entrance. Those numbers will swing the balance heavily in xeno's favour. Hydro is properly caded, has no ammo and even fob has limited ammo. Hydro road isn't caded either. Nexus just barely is.

Its big red, charlie squad has no SL but spec, sg and enough support to make it still functional. The orders you made are generic bravo fob and comms and all other squads to lambda. Alpha and delta go to lambda pods just fine, but charlie ignores it and goes through filt podlocks, c4ing in and flanking east lambda lab. It seems the hive is in NW lambda, or the actual lambda lab building itself. What do you do?
    Last edited by forest2001; 12-28-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Cut rude opening statement.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You deserve the CO WL as much as anyone who has it by now in my eyes. You are a consistent, dedicated, enthusiastic player that to me embodies the heart of any whitelist, even if you rub some people the wrong way and sometimes take things just a bit too seriously.

Like a lot of new COs, I can't say I've seen you play MP at all and that can and probably will bite you in the ass during your fist rounds as CO, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. That is pretty much how things go with any recent new WL holder with some notable exceptions, so again, this is nothing that in my eyes affects your application negatively.

+1 from me, good luck.
    Senior Administrator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: A jtac spotter lazes in an OB saying it will kill a lot of t3s and maybe even queen. You assume this due to queen being where most of the t3s are. You aim and press fire but the coords are being blocked. Turned out the coord is directly ontop of a new hive core. The coords are LAT 240, LONG 210. There is an area north of the hive core which is unprotected. Maybe 12 tiles. There are marines south, but half a dozen will be severely hurt from OB. The hive core just got destroyed. What do you do?

2: Alpha squad has no SL. It has 12 ungas in it. You assign an aSL. Charlie Squad has 8, but an SL who seems sane. Charlie SL asks for a command headset to lead alpha squad and perhaps others. What do? Do you alter orders to keep those two squads together or do you deny? Why?

3: A xeno boards the transport. There is not a single person on the transport. You saw it just as the transport's auto run launches it from FOB. What do you do?

4: Its xeno hijack and the queen just crashed into the almayer. You, by chance, appear to be about 1 screen away. You have all your CO gear on you. What do you do?

5: It's LV. You're slowly losing. You have a nice HE OB prepped and have been asking for coords for a while but no one gives it. The fighting is at containers/cave entrance in the north east. The marines just got pushed out of the caves and it's going to be a full retreat to hydro very soon. There aren't that many xenos left, but they're robust, queen is out and their carrier is frontline capping and putting marines in nests near the cave entrance. Those numbers will swing the balance heavily in xeno's favour. Hydro is properly caded, has no ammo and even fob has limited ammo. Hydro road isn't caded either. Nexus just barely is.

6: Its big red, charlie squad has no SL but spec, sg and enough support to make it still functional. The orders you made are generic bravo fob and comms and all other squads to lambda. Alpha and delta go to lambda pods just fine, but charlie ignores it and goes through filt podlocks, c4ing in and flanking east lambda lab. It seems the hive is in NW lambda, or the actual lambda lab building itself. What do you do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have my support, you have the good knowledge of command, you know how to RP, you are passionate about the role which is which is one of the biggest things that matter. As my XO of a lot of rounds you never failed me. You have my +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i think of Cherub one encounter with them really sticks out which happened a month or two ago. Me and some other marines decided to mutiny her after an evac was called against 4 or 6 xenos with 10 caps in the hive. Once we got shipside and started organising it some other people joined in and we went up to CIC. We surrounded the CIC staff, pointed our guns at em and screamed to "get down" trying to take control without immediately shooting. During all that Cherub did not say a word took out her pistol, modded it with 3 or so attachments all while being screamed and later aimed at then without a word proceeded to shoot at me and then die shortly after.

Shooting without a word when the other party tries to RP and not instantly rush down the CIC shooting everyone to get the W just doesn't seem right. What further irked me the wrong way was her statement in discord that if we want to talk, we should not have "brought Lennox into this" at the time i didn't even know the guy and he was part of our mutiny as he happened to be near when i was RPing it out. https://imgur.com/a/bzRuEa1

You can have IC grudges, but when the involvement of a single guy makes you shoot immediately instead of RPing a situation out I would not trust you with the CO role which has the ability to BE people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you seem incredibly dedicated to the role, I was mostly certain that you'd have taken the time since your previous application to change some of the faulty behaviors that were mentioned. Sadly, in the very recent rounds I've played, I've seen them worsen.

Your job as a commander is to relegate the different tasks of the operation to the people below you. Yet, as I was playing a requisition round that already had enough people in to deal with everything (one RO and two CTs), I saw you enter requisition speedrunning style, not saying a single word and instead walk straight into the requisition officer office, taking both stamps and dropping them on the floor which is incredibly LRP while also stampeding on the RO's area. (Do you ever see people going without a word in the XO office?) You then proceeded to vend yourself stuff directly from the vendors (which is against SOP if you aren't the aCO), still not muttering a single word. After that, you dragged a crate to the launch pad, making sure to put the plasteel in which some RO or CTs would rather use to make extra crates. All of this can be accomplished by the req team, which would've all be done if it wasn't literally two minutes into the round. I mentioned this behavior already in your past attempt and to my surprise, this wasn't changed at all. You should take your extra time to make your briefing lively instead of doing business where you shouldn't. There are already extra stamps that can be vended to the CTs from the RO vendor and if by some miracle the RO forgets to do it, it'll instigate an interaction from the CTs who will ask for it instead of having a mute robot go and speedrun tasks like an among us game. All the COs I have witnessed usually mutter some speech at the very minimum and none will ever go into the RO office if there's a RO.

Now, for the worsening part, after all of these hours as an XO, one would suspect that you know the metagame rules. Yet, in a recent round, you've personally ordered me while I was a RO to buy as much metal as possible pre-hijack so that we could make "checkpoints" starting from lifeboats for x reason, which were obviously just normal defenses. Building defenses on the ship before a hostile force is en route is literally one of the first metagaming rule, which I'm almost certain you knew since you took such a way to go around it. Now I know this isn't the break of the century, but for something as the CO WL I do believe that this type of rule breaking do not have its place in one of the big HRP environment.

Instead of making the rounds feel different via your character personality, it feels like it's always the same thing that happens like a copypasted text. Not to mention that this character is still a LRP ripoff of warhammer 40k. "Celestine is borne aloft on a column of divine radiance and sometimes attended by cherubs", sounds oddly familiar, but to be honest staff allows people to have league of legends names so this is more of a personal problem from me, which can be ignored. As a CO, you should aim at making the round organic, having different plans and not just pasting the same ones over and over. You should also speak to people instead of taking their places. Another example I had is someone asking if the ship received FOB coordinates, which they did, but instead of asking on the requisition channel you simply responded "no". This is a teamwork game, you shouldn't be at the center of everything. Just like saying "I won this op" undermine the efforts of all the chain work that is CM.

You have personally shown no improvement since your last application towards the points I've mentioned, which are RP oriented alot (which I believe is one of the most important part of being a CO), hence why I think you shouldn't be given the WL until then. -1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shay/Celestine have been my friend for pretty much this entire year so I have the most experience with them. I'll admit there's been sometimes within DMs I tell them to chill with the XO rolls and they do, they can take breaks from this game when you ask them. But can you really blame them for having 1k+ hours for a role they actually enjoy playing? The backlash I see with them having so many hours is ridiculous when compared to say, John Deltard Delta with 1.5k hours only as rifleman. I've spoken to them about applying and they understand this is a pretty damn important role so I doubt they'll screw it up if given the chance.

I had multiple interactions with Celestine as a character ingame, too many to pick my favorite, they know how to roleplay and there's mutual understanding when it's important to chat with and times when "I need to focus on this right now" because the final push is occurring or an "event" is fucking up the power in CIC.

They deserve the whitelist and they told me sometimes they get people asking how to play Command which is really awesome to teach new players a role they're unfamiliar with. They have my +1 and I would like to see a new Commanding Officer in the near future. o7