User Tag List

Thread: Alice - Developer Application (Spriter)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alice - Developer Application (Spriter)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    alice92

Age?

Gender?
    Female

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Spriter

If Coder, what languages?
    A bit of C#

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Not really, just some small experiments all by myself. Nothing serious. But I have a lot of teamwork experience on other non-game projects.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    Some of my attempts to try something SS13-ish.

https://prnt.sc/mx0f1h

https://prnt.sc/mx0f37

https://prnt.sc/mx0f4l

Also I can send some examples of my normal art, but I think my pixelart skills are more important since that is what I want to do.

How well do you know Git?
    I know basics, but still need some help with it.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Hi there!
    I'm here because I love playing CM and I'm a huge fangirl of the Aliens franchise so I finally got some courage to give it a try as a contributor.
    I'm new to pixelart, but I'm working as an artist irl, so for me this is a great way to improve my skills in this field by working with you guys.
    I also can do non-pixelart works, but I have enough of that at work for now to be honest.
    Anyway, thanks for reading, and please keep in mind that even if my art is not as good as it can be I'm willing to learn and to improve. Practice makes perfect, and this way I can get a lot of practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Alice92, apologies for the initial delay and thank you for putting your application in. I'll be handling this it and it's review process from here on.

However, while your portfolio is promising, if sparse, I'm going to need to see a few more examples of your work before considering the test for you, example work does not necessarily have to be pixel art, mind you. I'd also like to run you through some basic questions if that's alright.

We'd also like to see a few samples of your non-pixel art work if that's alright.

It should be noted, the Spriter position has the potential to be the most pressing job to the least pressured for time intensive operations. It offers a high degree of freedom, so long as you're willing to work within our styling and are receptive to feedback from your fellow developers.

1. As a Spriter, often you will be working with coders and mappers on a Big Five project, however some features are considered strictly confidential until the Head Developer announces them. Do you understand that for some of your work, is dev's eye's only until it's released? (This does not apply to all internal projects, basic QOL, fluff, or self directed features, are examples which can be freely teased.)

2. You release a collection of sprites you've put a few weeks of work into, only for players to be immediately averse to it. How do you respond in this situation?

3. A coder is tackling a large project and needs a lot of sprite help to get it working, are you comfortable taking instruction from coders and mappers when they have a specific vision or object in mind?

4. Weapons and firearms are drawn at certain scale to match attachments proportionally. Then, how come an APC circuit board is as big as pistol when both are on the ground? Why do we do this scaling?

5. Are there sprites specifically in the project right now that bug you? What would you change and why?

6. Do you understand, as a Spriter, you are subordinate to the Lead Spriter in respect to defining the overall artstyle (Mostly refers to reviewing sprites before they get merged)? Yay/nay?

7. What do you think is the CM13 aesthetic? Do you think it works, or are there issues?

8. Sometimes, votes are taken internally on the direction of the project. And sometimes people vote nay. Do you understand that even if you're averse to some changes, if your work on them is required, you would follow suite?

9. What other servers of note have you put a lot of time into? Any previous bans or staff positions?

10. In the end, which is more important, a good game experience, a good system of generative story telling?

11. Favorite Beno Strain?

We look forward to your responses!

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triiodine View Post
    However, while your portfolio is promising, if sparse, I'm going to need to see a few more examples of your work before considering the test for you, example work does not necessarily have to be pixel art, mind you. I'd also like to run you through some basic questions if that's alright.

We'd also like to see a few samples of your non-pixel art work if that's alright.
    I'll grab some of my artworks here a bit later, if you don't mind the delay. I need to find something that is not under NDA first. Also, do you need only digital art or something more traditional will also suit you?

It should be noted, the Spriter position has the potential to be the most pressing job to the least pressured for time intensive operations. It offers a high degree of freedom, so long as you're willing to work within our styling and are receptive to feedback from your fellow developers.
    That's why I'm here. I like CM artstyle and I want to contribute something to it. And of course I'm always open to constructive criticism.

1. As a Spriter, often you will be working with coders and mappers on a Big Five project, however some features are considered strictly confidential until the Head Developer announces them. Do you understand that for some of your work, is dev's eye's only until it's released? (This does not apply to all internal projects, basic QOL, fluff, or self directed features, are examples which can be freely teased.)
    I already work under pretty strict NDA irl, so I know how to keep my mouth shut, don't you worry. No sekrit leaks from me.

2. You release a collection of sprites you've put a few weeks of work into, only for players to be immediately averse to it. How do you respond in this situation?
    I'll collect the feedback, ask other team members for their opinions and then I'll try to rework my sprites to suit the feedback I got.

3. A coder is tackling a large project and needs a lot of sprite help to get it working, are you comfortable taking instruction from coders and mappers when they have a specific vision or object in mind?
    Of course. Getting proper descriptions and references is always a big plus, because this way I can avoid a lot of redrawing later.

4. Weapons and firearms are drawn at certain scale to match attachments proportionally. Then, how come an APC circuit board is as big as pistol when both are on the ground? Why do we do this scaling?
    Because this helps players with small objects. Nobody wants pistols with the size 2x1 sprites. And with big objects we're limited with 32x32 sprites, so we have to scale it down to suit the game.

5. Are there sprites specifically in the project right now that bug you? What would you change and why?
    Some older sprites from Bay for example. Like all the kitchen stuff, meat, milk, apron. Or muzzle and straight jacket. Or wheelchair. Just because they look very out of style on CM even if used rarely.

6. Do you understand, as a Spriter, you are subordinate to the Lead Spriter in respect to defining the overall artstyle (Mostly refers to reviewing sprites before they get merged)? Yay/nay?
    Yay. It's good to have someone reviewing my stuff and helping me improve.

7. What do you think is the CM13 aesthetic? Do you think it works, or are there issues?
    It works pretty good in my opinion, one of the best styles I saw in SS13. The only one close to it is Eris, but it's a bit too plastic and bright for my tastes.

8. Sometimes, votes are taken internally on the direction of the project. And sometimes people vote nay. Do you understand that even if you're averse to some changes, if your work on them is required, you would follow suite?
    Subordination is always good, I have no problems with that. I'm here to learn and to improve my skills, not to be the pain in the ass.

9. What other servers of note have you put a lot of time into? Any previous bans or staff positions?
    I played on some other servers, but CM13 got my attention almost immediately. Nothing came close.

10. In the end, which is more important, a good game experience, a good system of generative story telling?
    A good game experience. We're doing it for players to play and to have fun in the first place. At least in my opinion. Of course we have to balance the fun but still.

11. Favorite Beno Strain?
    Mutator Strain? Hmm, it's a bit too early to say, but I really liked Railgun for Boiler so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything traditional or digital would be excellent. So long as you can demonstrate your skills, the medium doesn't matter (Of course that doesn't mean send us video essays or narrative fiction, but you get the picture.)

Including such, your answers are much to our satisfaction as a team. Our only minor concern is playtime. Do you think you'd be able to regularly put a few rounds in a week while balancing potential development tasks?

Of course it should be noted, the real world is always 100% more important than anything related to CM13, or our development team. But we do ask you carve out just a pinch of time to keep us posted on your work should you be accepted.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything traditional or digital would be excellent. So long as you can demonstrate your skills, the medium doesn't matter (Of course that doesn't mean send us video essays or narrative fiction, but you get the picture.)
    A couple of pics from my irl studies:
    https://prnt.sc/my8bb6
    https://prnt.sc/my8bl1
    https://prnt.sc/my8bru

Somewhat recent commission I made:
    https://prnt.sc/my8c5f
    https://prnt.sc/my8c7m
    https://prnt.sc/my8cat

Another recent artwork, but still unfinished:
    https://prnt.sc/my8cuc
    https://prnt.sc/my8cwr
    https://prnt.sc/my8eip

Including such, your answers are much to our satisfaction as a team. Our only minor concern is playtime. Do you think you'd be able to regularly put a few rounds in a week while balancing potential development tasks?

Of course it should be noted, the real world is always 100% more important than anything related to CM13, or our development team. But we do ask you carve out just a pinch of time to keep us posted on your work should you be accepted.
    I want to contribute because I have enough time to pour into both developing and playing the game at the moment, so no worries about that. I already play at least a couple of rounds per week.
    Last edited by Alice; 03-15-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again Alice, due to a potential shift in how we handle applications and test issuing, you get a choice.

I can issue you the Spriter test now, but this version is, presently, completely confidential in its contents.

Or, if you weather out a few days and wait for our next meeting to resolve (Sometime this weekend), I can issue you the test re-write in the works that will likely have radically different contents.

It should be noted the working re-write and the standing test are not particularly different in appearance or difficulty. However the re-write and its variants stress different facets of one's artistic abilities that we are most curious about, and are built towards, and against the perceived strengths of applicants. Thus the later application, no matter one's skill, relies more on conceptual development and thought than it does rely on raw talent. This offers us better insight into how a potential team member might function within the confines of our art-style and direction.

The current test is more of a generalist set of questions, and may contain contents that go against what you're comfortable working with. However, it is the sum total of all returned materials that is considered, not the specifics.

Thus, would you like to wait for a potentially different testing style, or go off of what all previous Spriters (As of 4 months ago) have worked with?

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I'm curious about both. Can I work on the current version of the test for now? And after I'm done with it can I get the second, more recent one? I know I sound stupid but I'm willing to do them both just to test my current skill for myself. And it'll also give you better understanding of my skills as well.
    And of course no worries I'm not going to leak it anywhere, I'm just a weird girl and I like a good challenge. Also I hope the examples of my artwork I posted earlier are good enough for you and the team.
    Last edited by Alice; 03-15-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be noted that at the time of issuing locally my time (PST) is when you're considered to be on the clock. I will be keeping track of that time frame. Keep that in mind.

You will have two weeks to complete the contents of the test. You only get one submission, so make sure what you include in your submission, is finalized.

If it is discovered that your final submission contains plagiarized content, or content that is not originally your own, your application is immediately forfeit, and you may be barred from further applications in the future.

The test contents are considered confidential. Do not share your produced work with those outside of the active development team. You may seek feedback from active spriters. Know they are under no obligation to respond. Do not share the testing documentation with anyone, period. If it is found that you have shared the documentation your application is also immediately forfeit.

Best of luck, I look forward to what you produce.

Since I'll be sending you the confidential test, and not the re-write, I'll need your discord handle. You can send that to me in a private message on the forums, or alternatively I can issue the test here over the forum PM system as well. However recommend discord, as that is our primarily mode of communication between most devs.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again Alice92, we have not received a reply to the last request for your contact information within three days. If you wish to still take the test, please send myself of Deanthelis (Head Developer) a forum PM with your discord handle. You'll be issued the test from there.

If you do not reply by the next regularly scheduled meeting (Three weeks from now), this application will be auto-declined on the basis of non-communication.

It should be noted, due to the delaying of our latest development meeting, I will have to withdraw the offer to try the test re-write as an option. My apologies.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make this brief.

Your application has been auto-declined on the basis of full radio silence. We have yet to receive any contact from you about requesting the testing documentation and or noting that you are busy at this time.

You are free to re-apply at any time, but we suggest you wait a while and prepare a new portfolio and look over public test contents. Best of luck with whatever you chose to pursue in the end.

Application declined.
    Last edited by Triiodine; 04-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.

I am the art style.