Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: manofspacebob - Synthetic Application

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lcarapaica View Post
    Some quick criticism on a few points I want to touch:

This type of dialogue doesn't seem too like what Titus on the story made me think he would be, I understand what you want to do with it, but as a conversation starter you will have difficulty keeping players' attention. The fob you linked will do considering the situation and time, what's really valuable is how you handle people.

Being aware of your surroundings before leaving is good, but recognize that the task you have to accomplish isn't always as easy, a synthetic will be expected to secure it and ensure it doesn't go down again, this is not a task they can do alone if they engage more than one xeno on the way so don't ever be afraid of asking for help, which in turn will lead to more RP opportunities.

I'm hard pressed to agree, I feel you need to take a step back, realize the core of what you want to do and go with it, I won't comment on the lore stuff, that's an easy fix if anything and inconsequential. You have a lot of potential but as Katskan says, you really have to polish your idea, your execution and your answers here down to what is essential, make it easier to digest for everyone and you will surely get more support.

I will +1 it, you have the knowledge, you take the role seriously and it shows but there is a thing as taking it too seriously and I feel that's hurting you here.
    Hello,

1. Yes, stick to the original story. I felt I had to over explain here and in rethinking it? I understand now.

2. Ask for help for arduous tasks and gain more chances to RP. Check.

3. I will work on being short, concise and to the point.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reply to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Control+f is a keybind on windows for searching for a word

Basically the main point is, out of character feel free to be massively verbose, write whatever makes you happy.

Dialogue in our stories we want to be preview or example of how you'd speak and act in a way that translates to your in-character. It's hard to translate a full-blown short story with large-form monologue into actual expressive interaction. In essence: can you express a consistent personality in the kinds of short-form interactions that are common in a CM round? Synthetic is a max-paced, HRP role. If your personality doesn't come out until you're telling a long-form story complete with different accents and speech patterns, then you effectively have no personality at all. If you try to compress the "method acting" type of recounting and storytelling, it comes across as inconsistent or even schizophrenic. Sell me on the idea that you can make it work in practical scenarios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katskan View Post
    Control+f is a keybind on windows for searching for a word

Basically the main point is, out of character feel free to be massively verbose, write whatever makes you happy.

Dialogue in our stories we want to be preview or example of how you'd speak and act in a way that translates to your in-character. It's hard to translate a full-blown short story with large-form monologue into actual expressive interaction. In essence: can you express a consistent personality in the kinds of short-form interactions that are common in a CM round? Synthetic is a max-paced, HRP role. If your personality doesn't come out until you're telling a long-form story complete with different accents and speech patterns, then you effectively have no personality at all. If you try to compress the "method acting" type of recounting and storytelling, it comes across as inconsistent or even schizophrenic. Sell me on the idea that you can make it work in practical scenarios
    Hello,

I too gave that a lot of thought. Especially, seeing as how difficult things can be as a medic near the front, an engi and a fob Doc etc.

Places where it might be acceptable to tell a quick story:
    1. Low pop at the fob. (during construction, after construction, during some surgeries)
    2. In either the Normandy or Alamo awaiting drop, after completing running chem lines or running req lines.
    3. Late join outside medbay waiting for either DS to cycle.

A complete story without sounding schizo or deranged:
    4. Green shift rounds (my favorite rounds to RP.)
    5. Assigned tasks by an admin at the start of the round. (Only had two of these and the entire event revolved around me having to completely roleplay out several scenarios. One involved my survivor and the CL. Fun!)

Everything in between would be anecdotal and significantly shorter:

Ex: A marine runs into fire near the front:
    Me verb: *gives a wry smile.
    T: “Icarus, try not to fly too close to the sun next time.”
    Marine: “Wha?”
    T: “See me later and I will tell you that tale.” Then renders aid.

To explain the above, a long time ago I forgot to deselect my underbarrel gL on a mk1 and launched an HIDP that skipped off a wall and caught my marine on fire. MIA replied: (paraphrase) "There are easy ways to commit suicide." lol quick and to the point.

I have tested all of these out over the last year with my marine. It works but timing is everything and if done wrong? Yeah, you’re def right.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of heart in this application, but there are also flaws. The experience questions are lacking, which is admitted to. Synthetics are considered subject matter experts in all support fields. There are some lore issues with the story. And the combat question is incorrect, I encourage you to ask synths for clarification of the guidelines. At this time, the application is denied.