Marine Name
    Frank "Mowerman" Armstrong

Other Whitelist Applications
    None

Character Information

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Otis

What is your Synthetic's Personality?
    Otis's primary personality programming was designed to emit a warm fatherly tone and demeanor. Originally planned as an industrial assistant, his interests lie mostly in the realm of structured organization. Things should be in their place at all times. Geometric formations, cleaned areas, well constructed buildings, all are fascinating to Otis. To a lesser extent when medical topics are concerned the same fascination could be applied to human anatomy. Otis's primary form of communication is establishing good report with an individual through a friendly demeanor and a warm smile. Though the emotions are superficial at best, they put humans at ease. This allows Otis to do his job without interference or worse, the interjection of opinion from those who cannot construct more perfect structures and forms.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I've always enjoyed the RP aspect of CM13, and expanding my RP realm to the synthetic areas would help broaden my horizons. The aspect of CM that I've enjoyed the most has always been supporting players in various ways, be that medical or construction. Synth having a focus on that instead of direct combat is in my wheelhouse and I feel I would make for a good supporting character.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?
    During a round gone wrong, as a PO I ran into Katie during hijack. We had a nuke on the planet but it was disarmed due to marines failing to hold. We had a brief discussion about how our priority to prevent what damage we could was destruction of the colony. We snuck from the back of the ship to the hangar through maint, hopping into the Normandy and took a trip down, covering each other as we walked from LZ2 to LZ1. After a brief RP, we armed the nuclear torpedo and bolted for the Normandy to help relieve the ship as best we could (it was very much a lost cause). From there on we simply kept each other alive while discussing what we could do to possibly save others, even though there wasn't much we could do. Was a great memory of a super tense situation where we altered the outcome of things with stealth, cleverness and avoiding combat lest we both die.

Synthetic Character Story
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...v3qyMB3kM/edit

Story is posted in this google doc, this answer also requires at least 100 characters sooooo... yep.

Experience

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    Good enough to work through most of the dispensable equipment from the lathes, including making computers, installing cameras and setting them to a network, building walls, repairing equipment as well as APCs and the power network.

How familiar are you with Command?
    I'm decent on the basics, sending announcements, using the dual ID scanner to start evac, etc.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    I've run medbay solo before, including chems, surgery and the like. As far as surgery goes I've done every instance of every surgery except for monkey cube removal (have yet to find the lucky newbie CL!)

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    I've run req solo before and am familiar enough with the game that the two letter abbreviations are second nature. Same with finding crates for FOB equipment deliveries.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Protecting yourself or the humans who are with you in the immediate term (no chasing) or on Red alert on the ship during hijack (restrictions loosened as long as other duties aren't neglected)

Confirmations

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Discord Ban Reason
    -

Other Information

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    As a server admin I really enjoy running events for players and am always looking for ways to help expand them into the realm of the interesting. I'd really like to try out synth and get a feel for what makes synthetics tick and makes the game fun for them. Using that knowledge I can help craft events

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive. Very nice.

Combat answer is a little vague for me, so I'm gonna launch some at you for now.

1- You're on LV, and marines have landed at LZ1. They have not barricaded any other areas, but they have successfully pushed up to the cave entrances. A marine comes to you asking for larva removal at medical dome, so you go with them. Medical dome has no power due to a destroyed APC, and is unweeded and unbarricaded. During the procedure, a wounded lurker decides they can take you, attacking and backing off several times to go heal nearby. What do you do? What would you do if you got the lurker into crit?

2- It's lowpop hours. You've just about single handedly built the FOB and Bravo has decided they want to go shoot things at the front. You're hanging out in the FOB when you hear a drone banging on the barricades. There appear to be no marines around, at least that you can see. What are you able to do about it?

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katskan View Post
    Impressive. Very nice.
    Let's see Paul Allen's synth.

1- You're on LV, and marines have landed at LZ1. They have not barricaded any other areas, but they have successfully pushed up to the cave entrances. A marine comes to you asking for larva removal at medical dome, so you go with them. Medical dome has no power due to a destroyed APC, and is unweeded and unbarricaded. During the procedure, a wounded lurker decides they can take you, attacking and backing off several times to go heal nearby. What do you do? What would you do if you got the lurker into crit?
    Immediate self defense is fine. Given Med-Dome's layout if the intermittent attacks are annoying enough that they require more attention than can be handled in a single period. A few whacks that get them out of med-dome would be enough. If they persist, a pair of cades in the door makes it so that they can't get in quickly. Given that it's happening on a surgery table I'm kinda confident that the surgery can be handled by the time a lurk would fall back to weeds get to full and come back, but assuming that they didnt and caught a baton to the face and are in crit... leave them. Once they're incapacitated, they're no longer my concern as they are no longer a threat to myself or the human I am trying to save. In a more broad sense, med-dome is the furthest I would take any combat, anything out of that is way too far. I would even go so far as to say that if they weren't going into the surgery part of med-dome, that I'd focus on the surgery.

2- It's lowpop hours. You've just about single handedly built the FOB and Bravo has decided they want to go shoot things at the front. You're hanging out in the FOB when you hear a drone banging on the barricades. There appear to be no marines around, at least that you can see. What are you able to do about it?
    :v "CO, there seems to xenomorphs actively attacking the FOB from the <direction>." Followed by removing my welder and repairing. We'd then see which runs out first, the drone's patience or the welder fuel in a welder backpack.

Fax and Form Generator 5000

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello blackdragon and thank you for your application.

Your personality/quirk seem OK, but I have to say that it may not be the most impactful. Keep in mind it's something that you might use round to round and be ready to stick with it. You want it to keep your interest and the interest of others - while not being too labor intensive. I think the backstory was wonderful but actual implementation of Otis' personality stands as a test.

Your aspirations are good and I think your memorable interaction sounds like fun!

Now back to that thing about Otis' personality. The story is well.. it only demonstrates that Otis will have the fatherly demeanor but I'm afraid I don't quite get the grasp of anything else. The medical procedures and Otis' thought process was more or less glanced over and did not do well to elaborate either your understanding of medical procedures, your ability to RP nor the indepth personality of Otis. The story itself was easy to follow but not exactly engaging. There were also some very minor typos but ignoring that, this portion of the application is unfortunately quite lackluster. For starters, instead of showing Carl feeling better from Otis' reassurance, have Otis do some reassurance himself and show how they might try to calm down a panicked patient. Furthermore, instead of glancing over medical procedures you can showcase your RP potential by detailing Otis' actions(applies to everything, not just medical).

The experience questions provided are a good start but I feel like you could have elaborated more. Just saying "I know the basics and a bit of this, etc." is really not sufficient - every application should either meet or raise the bar, as they all stand as examples for those to come. What do you like about that set of roles? What is your experience with them? If someone told you to suddenly do a specialty of that role, would you be able to? Exercise your knowledge and explain your favorite roles of that set. You can never elaborate too much on an application

The combat answer is similar to the experience ones - I feel like you could have demonstrated a better understanding if you had elaborated further. The answer given is quite broad and does not exactly pertain to a specific scenario so to speak.

Your answers to Katskan's questions are OK and not necessarily wrong, but appears to demonstrate you have a somewhat limited understanding of what a synthetic can do based on their programming.

Overall, I feel that you could have put out a much better application than the one you currently have. However, don't let that discourage you. You can definitely play and being active helps a ton - garnering vouches for RP and competency in support roles are both great ways to have yourself seen as a potential Synthetic, and I would say you are relatively active ingame Good luck!
    Last edited by QuickLoad; 02-13-2023 at 01:16 PM.

Maintainer Project Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will vouch for blackdragon's experience as a doctor and comtech. I have seen them be competent and show significant knowledge in both roles.

Secondly I will vouch for their ability to roleplay. Before they were a staff member, and even after, they would be one of a few players who I would go to with heavy RP roles that would make or break an event. They would transform every role into something that really shone. I am very confident they would bring solid RP experience to the synthetic role.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The personality is decent. The story supports the personality, but comes off as minimal effort. Experience are lacking in showing what you have learned from each role, and part of that is allowing people to observe your game play in support roles and the general consensus is that you mostly played CL. The combat answers were weak, I recommend rereading the synthetic guidelines and asking questions for clarification. This application is denied at this time.