Moonshanks#3223

Marine Name
    Viktor 'Iron' Mallard, Valory Rainn, Mateo 'Buckwild' Martinez

Other Whitelist Applications
    Character Information

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Val (short for Valentina)

What is your Synthetic's Personality?
    Valentina was first activated to work for Valkyrie Mining Company on mining rigs rated for 'extreme' risk of mine collapse. Their primary function was providing medical care and advanced engineering work for the machines and personnel present. Valentina's secondary duty was to use their advanced internal suite of gravimeters, accelerometers, and barometers to act as a mining canary, that is to say, they could detect shifts in the rocks within the walls of mine-shafts and provide around anywhere from 1 minute to a day warning before the mine collapses giving the miners and Valentina time to evacuate and if needed abandon machinery before mine collapses occurred. Though this effort saved many lives, deaths still occurred, and it is from the traditions of life onboard these rigs that Valentina developed their quirk. Miners have a tradition where they wear the names of dead miners on their helmets, uniforms, or person, Valentina copied them as per her emotional interface programming in order to boost morale. When any member of personnel near to them dies, if the situation and time permit it and if they are brain dead, then Valentina will take a minor "keepsake" most often in the form of name tags and dog tags from the DNR personnel.

In short, this synthetic seems to make itself personally responsible for nearby deaths, and as a form of acknowledging this, they take memorabilia from corpses.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I wish to dive head first into the synthetic RP. I believe with Valentina I can bring some interesting RP to the table. She's an interesting juxtaposition of polite, but grimey, a well worn synthetic that has seen better days and may be repetitive or a bit odd at times. Specifically I think I can bring an interesting RP style to the WL, where I focus on tackling the idea of death a bit more bluntly, in a way that marines probably would tackle death, gallows humour.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?
    I have several come to mind, but two put themselves at the top for most memorable:

- I was the CMP, this would've been in late 2019, and during a round I had had multiple interactions with a synthetic, getting to know them and RP with them. During hijack our forces that fought on the lower deck were overrun, the CO had ordered the synth and I stick in CIC so we were there talking about dying, and how my character was okay to die, and would find it peaceful. Eventually the CO orders me to evac with the synth in order to get the information about the xenos (this was before xenos were a known threat Lore wise) to HC. I ran with the synth to the evac pod, and we have some RP back and forth about the life of the other marines, I then told the synth I would not be leaving as I could not leave my men to die alone, the synth told me that it had orders to stay with me, and would not leave either, so I thanked the synth for being kind, stunned them and threw them in the pod after slapping the button. Was quite a fun moment where the synth showed immense RP talent.

My second one happened recently, although the round was fraught with... some poor RP from a pred, I was spawned in as a Lurker, and I had been following some marines for a while intending to jump them when I walked across Day and another synth in the medical dome on LV. We had several conversations where I attempted to bargain with Day for the lives of the wounded she was tending to. Obviously, Day did not give the wounded up whatsoever but it was fun RPing being a xeno and interacting with the synth saying stuff like "these talls are injured and will weaken your hive, if you give them to me I shall leave the other talls alone".

I have also enjoyed working with synths in events that look into what would happen if their core programing changed or was corrupted in some way.

Synthetic Character Story

Valentina 2nd Gen Synth

It was approximately 228 Kelvin on Rig Kappa-Bravo at the central mines entrance when the creature struck. The wind was blowing NE at a rate of 25 m/s kicking up ice, obscuring the 380 to 700-nanometer band of their optical sensors.

The rare-earth metal mining rig had turned into a point of company interest shortly after the uncovering of strange artefacts, namely a dagger, an unidentified corpse, and some robes designed for a human of around 8ft tall. No human colonies had been documented out on the ice before the mining rig arrived, as such W-Y had deployed more personnel Valentina included.

Valentina, a tall slender 2nd generation synth, was outside the pressurized womb of the rig. She stood out in the cold in full mining uniform, a large clutch of dog tags displayed from a pouch on her belt.

Valentina was on secondary duties, standing perfectly motionless talking on radio-link without moving their mouth in order to minimize any vibrations, so as to not disturb their readings.

These secondary duties consisted of using their hyper-sensitive suite of accelerometers, gravimeters, and barometers, to measure minute changes in the movement of the rock around them. Enabling them to effectively predict any cave-in before it happened, allowing for the evacuation of personnel and equipment safely and efficiently.

“45 below, practically tropical today, Skipper” she noted cheerily as the miners set to work establishing the drilling equipment around her. This was one of her preplanned conversation starters, some people found her repetitive use of these phrases unnerving, the personnel however seemed to enjoy the routine.

“Eye, I think we might have a barbecue later,” Rigging Officer Orlando Skips joked.

Valentina paused to process a reply. Internally, she could view her responses as a branching decision tree. It sped up social situations to handle them this way, her runtime was precious and currently dedicated to problems more imperative than fraternization.

“Not enough meat for the barbie, Skipper”. She parrotted in a practised mock Australian accent.

“You’ve said that three times this week Val. Want me to check your circuits” Goaded Explosives Rigger, Sasha Vogel.

Not all people enjoy the repetition, Valentina mentally noted, generating a new decision tree for interactions with Vogel.

“Predetermined responses cut down on my processing time, Vogel. Dedicating more of it to socialization would cut down on my ability to measure for quakes. My predictions suggest a 15% chance for a rockfall today, Good odds.”

“There’s the metal brain we love, Val. Keep those numbers running, I don’t want shit coming down on me unexpected.” Vogel replied.

“Quit bugging the synth, Vogel.” Skipps warned “She’s sure as shit got enough to think about. Even if she’s as socially capable as your novelty talking toaster.”

“I like to think I’m quite humorous,” Valentina retorted in mock anger. Another one of her pre-planned responses.

“Now that’s a joke.” Vogel laughed, “Get back to reading the earth. I don’t want my tag to end up in your pockets.”

The outside pressure sat at 50662 PA, despite this, a massive near-flat ice sheet covering a lake of salt water and methane mix spanned most of the valley in which the rig was situated. The ice (which, Valentina hypothesized, must have initially been left over from sublimated standing water) acted as a sort of pressure cap for the lake. Dregs of liquid methane sat ever ready to boil off into the mostly nitrogen atmosphere.

The Rig itself was a standard modular construction seen almost everywhere in deep-space mining colonies. It was something that Valentina never failed to marvel at, perfectly utilitarian, just enough engineering to keep its occupants alive, no more, no less.

The personnel around her looked very much like balloon men Valentina mused, sitting in their half-spacesuit-half-pressuresuit mining rigs which kept them warm, watered, and oxygenated. All so far as Valentina was concerned was nominal.

Then the plasma shots roared.

Valentina’s combat subroutines kicked in as time began to proceed at a much slower pace. The apertures of her eyes widened letting in wavelengths deep into the infrared spectrum. Sat fixed atop the coolant arm of the mining rig was a figure, nearly invisible in infrared and clearly cloaked by something. The figure was only illuminated by the glowing bolt of a fourth plasma shot snaking its way towards the miners. Her head twisted at lightning speed following the path the previous bolt had taken. One of the miners had taken a bolt to the upper right chest, and Valentina was sure she could see the inside lining of one of his lungs as he fell in slow motion.

His heart would stop, that one thing was sure. A fist-sized hole in a lung would do that to a human. The low pressure would probably cause his other lung to collapse even before it filled with blood drowning him. The other three shots were closely clustered on a thin metal casing of a mining drill which sat slightly in front of the centre of the man's chest. How had the hostile gunner taken such an accurate cluster of shots on that one miner? If the gunner was human, nothing short of thermals would have given them the visibility needed in this weather.

“Contact. Gunner. 314. Hit the deck!”

Valentina gathered all the evidence before acting, the man still falling slowly to the ground. It was clear that this one miner was unlikely to survive. The wind and the temperature would ruin any chance of his survival by causing him to cool unevenly, leading to ice crystals forming and searing their way through his capillaries. The miner would be brain-dead in approximately five minutes. The solution was simple, albeit unorthodox, Valentina would have to reduce the cooling of the miner to a survivable level, something only a good insulator would do. She grabbed the falling miner with one hand, and with her foot, cracked a large enough hole in the ice and dropped him in.

“Your death is imminent. Time to brain death can only be prolonged by cryogenic temperatures. I am sorry to do this to you. You will likely die.”

She was moving before he was fully submerged; the methane water boiled aggressively around him. The next step was to reduce the attacker's visibility, what was clear is that it didn’t use visible light to see, what wasn’t it if it could see in more than infrared, with no time to test this she gambled.

Valentina took the main hose of an oxygen tank, and fed it into a cross valve that met up with a fuel tank, opening both and taking a welder to the output, she started a blaze spitting directly up and out of the cave's mouth.

In the approximately 10 seconds that had elapsed the other personnel had managed to duck, fall, or run behind the machinery. At least they were secure for now, Calculating the quickest route to a deeper and more secure mine section she radioed a set of map instructions to everyone's portable PDAs

“Follow this, stick together, radio for help” came her call.

The shots from the gunner had become more frequent and sporadic, clustering around the rough previous position of crew or whizzing over their heads. The good news, Valentina thought, was that the gunner couldn’t see in anything other than infrared.

With the miners secured, and her patient quickly dying in the lake, her next act had to be offensive, eliminating the threat. She grabbed a white tarp off of one of the nearby machines and wrapped it around her body, sprinting forward without the need to swing her arms, quickly closing the distance between the rig and herself. Synths don’t leave heat signatures.

She only managed to get within 200 meters of the structure before the creature dropped directly on top of her, knocking her flat on her back. It had a strange scimitar in its hand.

“Not human” Valentina noted out loud, in return, it only grunted in a strange tongue.

The scimitar came crashing down on top of her with no way to totally dodge it; she instead focused on minimizing damage, bringing her left forearm in between the blade and her neck, it dug deep and stuck fast into the metal of her arm.

Acting quickly she twisted, easily lifting the bulk up above her head with her right hand, her left arm lying limp, control wires severed. This was going to have to be done one-handed. The creature in return pulled in vain at the scimitar now trapped within her forearm. She flung the creature fast into a nearby ore-crate, wrenching the scimitar from its grip in the process.

The creature to its merit landed solidly on its feet stanced ready in a combat position, as it lunged back forward towards Valentina. The synth simply fell back onto one knee, freed the scimitar with her right hand and levelled it towards the beast's chest, the creature impaled itself before it could slow down.

Making use of the creature's pain, something she’d never experienced herself, Valentina rapidly drew the scimitar up and across the creature's chest. Strange organs spilled out leaving the creature disembowelled, as it writhed and cried out. It was incapacitated. Valentina did not wait for it to die before sprinting back to her dying patient.

It was only when she got to the submerged miner that the creature’s self-destruct went off. Ripping free the ice the Rig was sitting on and causing major fires.

Valentina had made a mistake, she thought she’d acted to save lives, this time however, she had yet more nametags to add to her collection, some who died outright in the explosion, others who were consumed by the ensuing fires.

Experience

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    I am aware of how to:

Construct and deconstruct:

Rwalls, walls, APC, PACMAN, Tables, Rtables, Windoors, Airlocks, Autolathe, Medibots

How familiar are you with Command?
    I have a total of around 50 hours in command roles. 32 ish in Executive Officer, and 18 ish in Staff Officer

How familiar are you with Medical?
    I know how to do all surgeries off by heart, I can perform all surgeries just as quick with improv tools.

I can do multiple surgeries on one person, and multiple surgeries of the same time on up to two (max three if just limb fracs) people.

As in I am aware of how to organise surgeries to make them efficient

Knife -> Knife -> Open chest/skull -> organ repair -> close chest/skull -> screwdriver -> screwdriver -> Wrench -> welder.

So that for example, I would fix broken bones and organs at the same time on all body parts without having to do separate surgery loops.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    I am aware of how to use all the consoles, I am aware of what item groups are in which vendors. I am aware of how to construct big ammo boxes and what equipment is required for a typical FOB.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    When defending myself in any situation where I am unable to run away. Or where defending nearby marines (or marines I am healing) wouldn’t put me in too much danger. However while on the front lines I should not engage in combat.

However, as stated in Valentina's story she is aware she can later revive and heal marines' stopped hearts and will use that to their advantage.

Valentina will not hesitate to drop enemy CLF, Xenos, Predators, UPP or other hostiles who board the USS Almayer so long as: there are no wounded present in her care or who need assistance to her knowledge; the assailants aren’t about to overrun a key area like CIC; her time would be better spent combating the assailants then healing marines.

Valentina has found herself unable to properly disarm a marine who wishes to destroy her, being unable to run away she will render the marine unconscious with her telescopic baton, then fireman carry them to medical performing surgery on them and repairs on herself, making sure the marine stays cuffed and therefore incapacitated.

Confirmations

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Discord Ban Reason
    -

Other Information

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I had hesitated to put up two WL applications at once but after speaking with Zeke I was advised it was okay.

To tackle the elephant in the room, my manager WL was suspended due to not having the mechanical skill to complete the role to an acceptable standard.

After more than a month and a half of focused training on the areas that I was struggling in, with FrogZeke#6932 and Kane#2159 monitoring my playstyle as: Engineer, medic, and FOB doctor I am confident that I now have the skills required to complete the role to a satisfactory standard.

After speaking with Frogzeke I decided to rescind my manager WLs (Synth and CO) and apply for the WLs through the normal process.
    Last edited by Moonshanks; 02-21-2023 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spacing error, story pasting error, added quote marks around story to make easier to read. Correction on command hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A link to the google doc version of my application which might make the story easier to digest: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tn_fL-lHw0/pub

And some art I had commissioned a while back, not specifically for Valentina, but this is the art that inspired her character look. pasted image 0.jpg
    Viktor 'Iron' Mallard's service record:

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is for sure a non-recommendation from me. In your combat section you talk about how your synthetic "knows if a heart is stopped they can be revived a few minutes later" based on your story. I don't really see that in your story aside from the fact you mention someone is going to die so your synthetic chooses to let them sit in some random, probably wholly unsterile pool with a gaping chest wound for "cryogenic stasis" which just putting someone on ice isn't exactly how hypersleep works I imagine and is more involved than dropping them in a random cold pool. You have to also understand that reasonably in-character "brain death" isn't a static 0 or 1 but someone's brain is actively decaying and getting worse the longer its not receiving blood/oxygen and while they may live may be entirely fucked for the rest of their life.

You also state: "Valentina will not hesitate to drop enemy CLF, Xenos, Predators, UPP or other hostiles who board the USS Almayer so long as: there are no wounded present in her care or who need assistance to her knowledge; the assailants aren’t about to overrun a key area like CIC;her time would be better spent combating the assailants then healing marines."
    When compounded how your story is mainly about having a dying miner in your synth's care and instead of attempting life saving measures you roughly hope dropping them in a pool will prolong their life and then going to fight a predator it makes the whole app cheapened.

It makes it appear as if your main priority is fighting because your story certainly doesn't help accentuate character traits of "taking mementos of dead people and acting like an Australian miner" aside from one line at the end and a very short one before the fighting. It makes it seem like to me you thought "Oh it'd be a cool gimmick to pick up dog tags and my synth to talk in an Australian accent." and lightly justify it with a backstory and a few lines. Really your story looks more like detailed environmental descriptions followed by a short, somewhat cliched fight scene which is made to seem cool especially since it's focused on fighting a Predator of all things.

Personally, I had thought of a way better story you could have written myself just based on your character description which would involve say, how your synthetic acted in a mining accident and the aftermath which could have showed up a lot of personality in how they act with this common occurrence of death which you seem to be interested in your synth having. It could show us more interacting with people, perhaps some of the mementos and stories behind them, and how they interact with the people they've chosen to copy.

End of the day this just looks like a really poor application to me: it looks like you want to focus on combat, haven't showed or explained us much of the character really, and focused on a combat encounter instead of something that may have shown us more about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnedSweetPotato View Post
    i was roleplaying as a spec ops sangheili

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robotic Potato has already commented on the story and app itself, so I'll just pitch in with what I can provide that's new. I've only seen you as a support role a handful of times, all of which were as an engineer. I will say that you didn't do anything wrong or bad that I noticed. I can't comment on your roleplay or anything else since our interactions have been very limited, and it might very well be a time zone issue, but I recommend putting in some more support hours as a static name so people can gauge your in-game competency better.

Not going to vote on this for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iowafarmer View Post
    Robotic Potato has already commented on the story and app itself, so I'll just pitch in with what I can provide that's new. I've only seen you as a support role a handful of times, all of which were as an engineer. I will say that you didn't do anything wrong or bad that I noticed. I can't comment on your roleplay or anything else since our interactions have been very limited, and it might very well be a time zone issue, but I recommend putting in some more support hours as a static name so people can gauge your in-game competency better.

Not going to vote on this for now.
    I believe we've been on at the same time while I was FOB doctor as Mallard, about a month back.

Though I understand that my skills in support roles can only be confirmed by seeing it.

I have had both my medic and FOB doctor reviewed by Zeke with both being proficient (if I did bleeding wounds frequently as medic due to a misunderstanding of QC but that's an easy fix)

Perhaps a few solutions are:

We can play at the same time in the FOB? either both as doctors or with you as bravo so that you can observe me without upsetting the round.

I could record an unedited version of myself playing FOB doctor and medic and link it here? While I do have recordings from when I trained prior to this app I sadly wasn't de-admined, meaning I can only publically share snippets of the recordings without tickets or personal info in them.

I have been putting in the extra work required within the support roles, personally I think being known as a support should be a lesser requirement to having the skills required for the role, but I do see how being known as a support is a good way to check someones skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotic Potato View Post
    This is for sure a non-recommendation from me. In your combat section you talk about how your synthetic "knows if a heart is stopped they can be revived a few minutes later" based on your story. I don't really see that in your story aside from the fact you mention someone is going to die so your synthetic chooses to let them sit in some random, probably wholly unsterile pool with a gaping chest wound for "cryogenic stasis" which just putting someone on ice isn't exactly how hypersleep works I imagine and is more involved than dropping them in a random cold pool. You have to also understand that reasonably in-character "brain death" isn't a static 0 or 1 but someone's brain is actively decaying and getting worse the longer its not receiving blood/oxygen and while they may live may be entirely fucked for the rest of their life.

You also state: "Valentina will not hesitate to drop enemy CLF, Xenos, Predators, UPP or other hostiles who board the USS Almayer so long as: there are no wounded present in her care or who need assistance to her knowledge; the assailants aren’t about to overrun a key area like CIC;her time would be better spent combating the assailants then healing marines."
    When compounded how your story is mainly about having a dying miner in your synth's care and instead of attempting life saving measures you roughly hope dropping them in a pool will prolong their life and then going to fight a predator it makes the whole app cheapened.

It makes it appear as if your main priority is fighting because your story certainly doesn't help accentuate character traits of "taking mementos of dead people and acting like an Australian miner" aside from one line at the end and a very short one before the fighting. It makes it seem like to me you thought "Oh it'd be a cool gimmick to pick up dog tags and my synth to talk in an Australian accent." and lightly justify it with a backstory and a few lines. Really your story looks more like detailed environmental descriptions followed by a short, somewhat cliched fight scene which is made to seem cool especially since it's focused on fighting a Predator of all things.

Personally, I had thought of a way better story you could have written myself just based on your character description which would involve say, how your synthetic acted in a mining accident and the aftermath which could have showed up a lot of personality in how they act with this common occurrence of death which you seem to be interested in your synth having. It could show us more interacting with people, perhaps some of the mementos and stories behind them, and how they interact with the people they've chosen to copy.

End of the day this just looks like a really poor application to me: it looks like you want to focus on combat, haven't showed or explained us much of the character really, and focused on a combat encounter instead of something that may have shown us more about the character.
    This was feedback I had had prior, I added in more dialog to show how Val would speak and act around marines.

I personally think that a story should be taken as a story, and not a catalogue of someones RP ability, However, I'm happy to withdraw the app and fork the story when the pred appears. There is no reason for the story not to go into a different direction with Val heading deeper into the caves, defending the miners, and defeating the predator in there.

You can't really make a medical story accurate without having a keen understanding of real life medicine... which I don't have... and I feel making it accurate to the videogame such as "Val administered quick clot to halt the bleeding and dexalin to slow the de-oxidisation of the blood" Feels contrived.

Though I do have a trauma nurse friend, I could ask them how they treat chest wounds and go from there.

The idea was that being extremely cold has been proven to slow brain death, presumably, the worst thing that could happen from doing it is the shock kills the miner, or the methane poisions their blood. Nothing would be living in that pool, it would be sterile. That said, as Val mentions in the story, a fist sized hole to the chest is undoutably going to kill the miner without immediate surgery anways.

TL;DR: Withdrawing the app and taking the story in a less combat orientated direction is something that I'd be happy to do, but making the story medically realistic seems... a bit pointless? And making the story realistic to CMs videogame mechanics for medicine seems a bit contrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotic Potato View Post
    This section originally read differently focusing on how I would essentially fill support roles during hijack. I changed it on the advice of a Synth Councillor (who was just a synthetic at the time) who suggested my approach should focus on the overall objective during hijack (making sure major areas and defences aren't breached) over healing marines. Basically, if the cades are folding over stop healing and start smacking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point of avoiding certain kinds of realism is because it breaks illusion.

Think of it this way: the story's objective is to showcase the kinds of writing, actions and reactions your character will have in reasonably expected situations in a round. For me, I can go very much in-depth with conversations with other players off the fly about medical stuff, because I am very highly medically trained in reality. I can't go having conversations with players about motorcycles or engines or music theory and the like because I don't know about those things, for real. So if a player wants to talk about 18th century music, I have to open a google tab and dance around talking about some artist or composer that comes up in a google search or instruments.

Bullshitting depth in a field a synthetic would know about, e.g. medicine or engineering, and getting caught by a player who actually does know about it is going to make you seem LRP at best, and go down a line where people request a recall or something at worst. You don't have to make it gamey, just keep it simple using more vague terms or descriptions of goals rather than being highly descriptive about conditions and actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the consensus, for now, seems to be that the story needs work.

I'd like to withdraw this application to work on the story and re-post the app.

I'd also like to request a shorter wait period from this app to my next one as a story rewrite will take me well under 30 days. Especially since I have already started work on it.

Thanks for all the good feedback I shall continue to play support roles in the meantime to give people other than the synth councillors a chance to see my support skills.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Application is withdrawn by applicant.