User Tag List

Thread: Vampmare - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Vampmare - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Vampmare

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    About 2 years of Java and a year of Scala. I�ve been working on my DM on and off for a few weeks.

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Nope.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    I�ve been working on a few concepts to improve my understanding of the DM language, just some fun little things. Excuse my lack of creativity with the theme of things.

Synthetic MedHUD:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Synthetic Healing Station:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Syntethic Surge:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

The rest of my work is mainly schoolwork of Java and Scala coding.

We built a basic Civilizations 1 from scratch in Java. I can show more in private if needed.

How well do you know Git?
    Used it for most of my schoolwork but claiming to be a master would be foolish. It was mainly for two-man projects, so two branches at max and just merging everything. I probably need to learn the way you use it, but I know the basics.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I�ve been in the community for some time now and I�ve been wanting to help more by contributing in some way. The dev team is looking good right now. Would be interesting to be part of a team to make things and generally learn something new. If you don�t feel like I�m ready to start coding on CM yet, that�s fair. I�m by no means an expert to DM, but I feel I�m ready to start working on features. Learn by doing.
    Last edited by Vampmare; 03-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want to be a developer?

Are you more interested in refactors or balance?

What are the biggest issues with balance in your opinion?
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattAtlas View Post

Coding is a passion of mine. It's always fun to solve problems, learn new things and create something that people like. The other reason is that I've been playing CM for such a long time and I want to help out. Contribute to make a better game or at least a more enjoyable one. I also like the idea of being part of a team, working somewhat together and planning things out.

Equally interested. They are both very important for gameplay and key factors in keeping a playerbase playing. That being said, I don't have any balancing ideas currently, it's mostly new features or reworks of current ones.

Currently, the introduction of the new xeno sidegrades have caused a big influx of new xeno players. Xenos were balanced before around few active xeno players with plenty of respawns, this is now an issue. The round-start larva is so high that capturing is not a viable option for xenos. Before the round-start larva was increased, it was an issue of multi-burst. 3 captures could in theory supply 12 new xeno players, which again makes capturing a null priority for xenos and they can instead just focus on killing. TLDR: Xenos snowball with numbers.

Marines have always had a big reliance on good specs and now a good Tank, which is 4-6 people out of 120 in high-pop that can ruin or win a round. Features has been made, the kits noticeably, to help even this out, but I still feel it is a valid concern for balance and something to consider when changing things.

Generally, I would say the issue is that the game is balanced around xenos gaining more power by delaying the game out and marines winning by rushing. Things have been implemented to balance this out, but it is still a core issue and something that affects gameplay. That being said, this is what the game is designed around and it might be a balance issue, but it is also what makes the game fun for a lot of people.
    Last edited by Vampmare; 03-16-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    A small part of the Synthetic Council

with Jakkk, AcuteCircle, Pedroca2lucas and Kineem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sent you the coder test in your DMs - there is no set deadline, however if you take unreasonably long we may set one.

Our developer meeting is today, which means your application will be reviewed today if you finish it before then, however you should not rush it in any case.

Send the test answers back to me when you're ready. This test will be kept confidential unlike the spriter or mapper tests.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Head Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After discussion at the dev meeting today, as a team we are not yet comfortable accepting your application. While the test answers supplied are of adequate and acceptable quality, there are some issues we hold with your character and patterns of behavior.

Multiple staff members have described incidents that lead us to believe you have difficulty following instructions and respecting legitimate authority, which the team considers detrimental to group cohesion.

Please feel free to re-apply in 3 months' time.