User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visible Server Experience

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they wont let us have xeno identification because of "elitism" so theres no way they will let you have any way to distinguish who is veteran and who is not.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr1lledcheese View Post
    This is a tricky issue, but one thing we could do is at least lock command and MP roles until the player has a certain number of hours.
    they wont let us have a time lock on queen so I doubt they give it for mp or command staff either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is only going to lead to retarded elitism and an environment which new players will be uncomfortable and feel unwelcome. Also, you'll have meta-friending based on hours played, regardless of the character's actual IC competence and attitude.

If you're constantly getting salty over new players and their incompetence, remember that long ago, you were a brand new, incompetent player.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not elitism to put timelocks on vital roles when you are literally brand new

its like pubbie SS13 servers; do you want someone who just figured out how to click stuff to be Captain, the guy who has to defend a nuke disk from possible nukies, have all access, and depending on the station; full command of everyone on board?

no

same reason why we don't want someone who JUST started playing being an XO; they barely know how to dress themselves, let alone command an operation

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    its not elitism to put timelocks on vital roles when you are literally brand new

its like pubbie SS13 servers; do you want someone who just figured out how to click stuff to be Captain, the guy who has to defend a nuke disk from possible nukies, have all access, and depending on the station; full command of everyone on board?

no

same reason why we don't want someone who JUST started playing being an XO; they barely know how to dress themselves, let alone command an operation
    100% agree but like I said they wont let us have a timelock on queen THE most important role in the entire game. A bad queen literally throws the entire round for xenos. So if that aint a good enough reason no way they give XO a time lock.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timelock would be dumb. Some players learn fast, and can be truly efficient in a job in two rounds gridding it, while some are still retarded after playing the same job for 100 rounds. Elitism already exist, just look at all the robust marines playing in small groups together. We don't need time unlocked jobs/medals/grades, that would be retarded and also, new marines will feel even worse, after taking about twenty minutes jsut to put their pants on.

Currently, the game is pretty fine, new mariens can take the time to learn, some players will help them to beginn the game, while the vets and robust mariens will just hang out with their buddies and kill some benos. Everyone is pretty happy with that, no needs to change everything by creating even more ways to point out who is a vet and who isn't.
    The French Madmen: Capitaine Renaud 'Sierra' Chatillon

Almaric, the history teacher synthetic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just embrace the suck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneDeveloper View Post
    This is only going to lead to retarded elitism and an environment which new players will be uncomfortable and feel unwelcome. Also, you'll have meta-friending based on hours played, regardless of the character's actual IC competence and attitude.

If you're constantly getting salty over new players and their incompetence, remember that long ago, you were a brand new, incompetent player.
    Never salty about incompetence. Knowing who the new people are so I can help them is the objective of the post, not pushing them aside and spanking them for being retarded.

As for everyone else, thanks for yall posting. I appreciate the discussion. Personally, I think having people shown as 'PVT' or 'RCT' for their first round or two would be nice, so we can tell that it's their first round. It would very easily be identifiable and then someone can help them out with the server, get them familiar with the game, etc. After that, it would be regular PFC. I don't want to breed elitism, but being able to tell if it's someone's first round is important so you can try specifically to help them. It's not made with the intent for anyone to single them out, and players who are doing that are massive assholes.

Elitism can't be bred if it's just the one game. The well known names are already elitist and new people would face prejudice regardless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBanshee View Post
    Never salty about incompetence. Knowing who the new people are so I can help them is the objective of the post, not pushing them aside and spanking them for being retarded.

As for everyone else, thanks for yall posting. I appreciate the discussion. Personally, I think having people shown as 'PVT' or 'RCT' for their first round or two would be nice, so we can tell that it's their first round. It would very easily be identifiable and then someone can help them out with the server, get them familiar with the game, etc. After that, it would be regular PFC. I don't want to breed elitism, but being able to tell if it's someone's first round is important so you can try specifically to help them. It's not made with the intent for anyone to single them out, and players who are doing that are massive assholes.

Elitism can't be bred if it's just the one game. The well known names are already elitist and new people would face prejudice regardless.
    If it was just a rank for the first round or two, that would be significantly better. But putting our join-time inside of our flavor texts is only going to lead to meta-friending and more elitism. Of course it happens already.... why should we make it worse?

Another approach would be something that would show admins and mentors who is new here. They could PM them and give them a quick rundown on how to move around and talk, and where to go to the wiki. A distressing amount of new players don't read the MOTD. Plus, it would probably make the game more welcoming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK many admining systems already alert on first-time joiners, but certainly a more detailed system could be useful.

Just, please, timelock roles like CMO, XO, CE, etc. for first timers so they don't end up in command positions when they barely know which way is west.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere