Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limiting Mentor powers

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limiting Mentor powers

Heeeeeeeey there vsauce fans, Bob here, today we're going to talk about why mentors have too many powers and often over-step their responsibilities!

-Aghosting, I've had a number of staff confirm that mentors abuse this and if staff took a look at the correlation between aghosts to ahelps responded to, it'd be pretty obvious.

-Appeals/Reports, there's no reason a mentor should be weighing in on these situations, they've a volunteer with limited vetting process. We've also observed in the past that Emerald has been harassed by a group of mentors/mods from the Chen discord, this proof is provided in Emerald's own words in a message to ex-staff member Zane.

-Dsay, there's no reason for mentors to have this, they can communicate through ahelps if necessary.

At the moment, Mentor is abused by various players who use it as a 0 responsibility role to gain access to staff powers with very few mentors actually performing the task they were given.
    Last edited by bobatnight; 03-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah when i was a mentor i did this so its not like its a recent thing, its mostly been ignored afaik.

die mentors die
    hello im dondale

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or we can remove mentors who abuse their power instead of removing said powers. aghost is important for mentors and should stay. the whole appeal thing is now changed and we no longer can comment on it unless a witness. dsay... yeah, not really an important thing to have but barely any mentor uses it at all
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AcuteCircle View Post
    or we can remove mentors who abuse their power instead of removing said powers. aghost is important for mentors and should stay. the whole appeal thing is now changed and we no longer can comment on it unless a witness. dsay... yeah, not really an important thing to have but barely any mentor uses it at all
    yeah the thing is mentors who have abused and been reported for it haven't been dealt with but w.e bruh moment time
    hello im dondale

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mentors (or at least the ones that actually want to do their job) need to be able to aghost in case they're playing and someone needs help with something that requires the Mentor to see what they're doing, such as to explain something to someone that's confused about where things are. For instance, if someone who just joined the server and is playing PFC for the first time ahelps 30 minutes in asking what they do to get set up, it's easier for a Mentor to walk them through where to go if they can follow them around and correct them if they go the wrong way. I assume that's why they use it, at least.

Just because a few people misuse their powers doesn't mean said powers should be removed. It's far less disruptive to remove the bad eggs.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mentors have been caught abusing and are still able to retain their position. A Mentor abusing powers should be a zero tolerance policy, they're barely staff and it just shows they can't be trusted.

Since we don't have that accountability, I.E no policing of these 'staff' members, the clear solution is to rework them all together.

Many servers with more advanced mechanics than CM do not allow Mentors the powers that CM does, there's no reason for them to be using aghost.

Again, there is 0 accountability and we have yet to see any of them removed. Ontop of the fact that mods/admins constantly complain that mentors do not take their ahelps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can confirm from years of experience that helping anyone in anything more specific than 'how do I take out gun with hotkey' needs aghosting.

Dsay? Probably not all that urgently needed IMO.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dsay is 50% salt, 49% memes and 1% info about the round though, does it really hurt to let them have it? Most mentors have it disabled anyway.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobatnight View Post
    Heeeeeeeey there vsauce fans, Bob here, today we're going to talk about why mentors have too many powers and often over-step their responsibilities!

-Aghosting, I've had a number of staff confirm that mentors abuse this and if staff took a look at the correlation between aghosts to ahelps responded to, it'd be pretty obvious.

-Appeals/Reports, there's no reason a mentor should be weighing in on these situations, they've a volunteer with limited vetting process. We've also observed in the past that Emerald has been harassed by a group of mentors/mods from the Chen discord, this proof is provided in Emerald's own words in a message to ex-staff member Zane.

-Dsay, there's no reason for mentors to have this, they can communicate through ahelps if necessary.

At the moment, Mentor is abused by various players who use it as a 0 responsibility role to gain access to staff powers with very few mentors actually performing the task they were given.
    1. There is a log for each aghost. Idk if mentors can see the logs on the website but this is common knowledge. Aghosting is also very much needed for their function. There is a certain trust for all staff including mentors. Jamie was a mentor knows what they need and they need this.

2. Mentors and mods are afaik required to follow all (forum.) rules. Now they can give their opinion on anything they are involved in. (Just like normal players can.) But afail only admin votes count on appeals e.d. I agree mentors should not be given preferential treatment on reports and the forums.

3. Dsay. Yes, I can agree their job can likely be done without. They can also do their job without msay but instead a dedicated mentor channel. However, there is a certain amount of trust we should be able to place in staff members. This includes mentors.

4. There is almost no requirement for mentors do anything.
    There are very few requirements for mentors. Mentors are the lowest staff rank. They are volenteers and it's intented that they do not have to do (almost) anything.

5. Yes, mentor's who abuse their powers should be punished. No all other mentors/staff should not suffer for the ones who do cause issues.

Event Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aghosting leaves logs. The bright blue kind that I can easily check on in a around. If anyone is caught abusing this, they get axed. I have axed people in the past on the spot for abusing their powers. Who is it that's being accused of this? Because a vague "group does x" is of no help and is little more then baseless accusation. Feel free to tell those "number of staff" who've told you such things to tell me so I can actually investigate and deal with it if it's really happening. I'm not omniscient so while it's definitely possible I've missed things, this seems to me to be quite blown out of proportion given the nature of the logs left by aghosting.

You mean just like the rest of us? We're a 100% volunteer staff. No one is getting paid here. This quote is a twist of the facts based on an out-of-context screenshot. If you have anything to back up claims of harassment feel free to send it my way. I feel like if Em were indeed getting harassed by mentors she wouldn't need me to fix this situation, or if she did she'd say so. As far as mentors contributing to appeals and reports, if they have input that furthers the understanding of a situation, why shouldn't they contribute?

Or, they can communicate with the tools we've given them to communicate with. This is not a persuasive argument to remove a tool from staff's toolkit imo.

Mentors have been caught abusing and are still able to retain their position. A Mentor abusing powers should be a zero tolerance policy, they're barely staff and it just shows they can't be trusted.
    Got any names for me to investigate, dates to look into, powers known to be abused, or is this thread going to be an entirely baseless claim? Anyone I've ever caught abusing the powers given to them as a mentor has been thrown out on the spot.
    Last edited by Jerkface00; 03-19-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added a y to they