Byond ID?
    Whiteflicker

CM Character?
    Anna 'Pepper' Costello

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    CEST

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    If everything goes smoothly, I wake up at 11-12 AM my time, and I usually hop on for like 4, maybe 6 hours. I sometimes will hop on for a brief round late at night, before bed.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Nnnnnnnnnnno.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Nope!

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    ^

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Nope.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Nope!

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    On Paradise station I was, once, permanently banned for 'metagaming'. However that was only alleged because I just happened to be in a discord with a person who metagamed; I was playing normally, as I do; because I like the game as it is. I usually play on my own anyways.

Due to this I has the unpleasant experience of having to prove my innocence to Necaladun, who ended up apologizing publicly after a while, and I was unbanned. And then I stopped playing there after that nonsense.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    I hang out on discord nearly 12/7, so yeah! Especially if there's cool people like Amaxin and Anooki.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I know for a fact it is common for new players to be trigger happy. Due to the fact that the situation resolved itself IC, I will mostly warn him and tell him that he broke escalation rules and subsequently make a note of this behavior.

However, if I check the notes and this player is not, infact, new, and has had previous warnings; I would resort to a 24 hour ban to help him cool his head. He was already warned, after all, and he knows the rules.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Ideally I would call on a person who is more familiar with the honor code and ask for advice, at the cost of a slower response to the issue.

I would IDEALLY like to work with others on trying to figure out a punishment, and take note of what they do -- for future reference. At best it's a warning, at worst it's a warning AND a player report. I would usually refrain from banning Predator players outright unless the case is very severe and he hasn't stopped at just killing one person, seeing as they are usually veteran players who SHOULD know what they're doing.

Otherwise what's the point of a whitelist?

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Call a mentor to help him if there's any of them online.
    Maybe even shoot him a helpful hint in PM myself, if there's no mentors.

Though they usually do not reply. At that point there isn't much you can do to guide them other than babysit them with PMs, which isn't very good since they might not even be listening to you.

Though if they DO reply and they are eager to listen, I might just waste some time giving them an overview of what they're supposed to do, and give a tip or two on top.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    While this is a breach of Rule 3, I would (ideally) do it like any worker in the service industry and let the Admin talk to the person, instead. So that if they are a dick to the Admin, I am perfectly justified in applying an extended punishment.

I'm perfectly happy to let other people deal with rude people if the Admin wants. Otherwise, ban him for 24 hours, ontop of whatever else he did; which may or may not be 48 hours if it's bad enough.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would firstly need to google why that name needs to be ahelped.

Now, there's a lot of famous people named John Doe who are kind of obscure, but still present. Ontop of that, John Doe in particular is a name used in United States Judicial jargon, which literally means that this person's real identity is unknown and should be kept as such.

This might not be TOO tangible. However if the person who ahelped has a particular problem with it, I would default to having the person change it to something else.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This is an IC issue unless the person is somehow powergaming or metagaming the alien's about to come aboard.

But I will let him know in PM that he's not supposed to be doing this, before the MPs club him.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    According to the rules, due to the fact that the Survivor openly stated his hostility, the survivor is perfectly allowed to do this.

If he hadn't roleplayed his aggression and overt hostility beforehand, or had 'turncoated' when on the Almayer, then the survivor wouldn't be in the right.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Trespassing and "Theft" (a weak accusation seeing as it was laying around, unless the cargo staff openly wanted him to stop and were warning him the whole time) do not make a Permanent sentence, unless their punishments are maximized -- which shouldn't be done willy nilly just to slap permanent sentences. The MP need to follow Marine Law by rule (even if they can ignore minor crimes unless ordered not to)

I would PM the MP in question and ask them why they'd put this marine in Permanent confinement instead of a regular cell with a timer. Then, after weighting his judgement and bias, either tell him to rectify this or receive a jobban for a breach of Rule 4 at worst, ask the CMP/another moderator for their opinion, and, if it checks out, leave it as it is at best.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Ideally you'd tell the aliens to attack and stop biding their time on the surface. Or, if not, tell the marines just how many aliens are left and where they are, accurately.

Though it'd probably be better to force the aliens to attack. They can't say no.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I am 100% positive this a Rule 4 breach. I send him a PM telling him that this time it will just be a temporary ban, and on the next occurance a jobban. Then ban him for 48 hours and make a hefty note on his record.

And possibly even ban him from playing medical roles, if he already has notes.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    EORG only applies to sides that are friendly to eachother. Players can still shoot people who are hostile (such as xenos) when the round ends.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    As much as I hate it; this is an IC issue until improper escalation happens. It's the MPs job to stop him.

Though if the issue becomes rampant for a long period of time, I might just give him a PM telling him he is borderlining Rule 4 and chill out.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Improper escalation. A breach of Rule 14.

I will PM the person who did the murdering, telling him to NOT kill people who are simply punching you. Freeze him, and then aheal the person who was shot.

Depending on note history, and behavior during the PM session, I will ideally give the person a warning if this is the first offense, a note, and a 24 hour ban if it isn't.

If he is being a dick to me ontop of it while I'm trying to talk to him, 48 hour ban. Full stop.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Rule 17.

This is around the time where I'd have to start clogging up OOC with full caps reminders that, to mutiny, they need staff approval from a 'leader'. I heartily remind them of the Mutiny rules, and to please decide on a leader of the mutiny who will send an ahelp with a reason, and names of each mutineer to a minimum of 5.

I also lowkey remind them to give the CO a chance to stand down peacefully, and that attacking people who have surrendered, or other neutral parties such as unarmed doctors, is still forbidden; and to focus their efforts on the CO and the ones actively protecting him. Also, no perma killing anyone, ever.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I gently remind the people involved about Rule 3, and let them know, without mentioning names, that someone has been offended by the racism and has resorted to telling Staff, and to please cut it out.

It's up to them for if they get punished, or even noted, for this.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Seeing as this is the epitome of rule 4, try to get the person's Ckey from anywhere and ban them for 48 hours.

Then make a request for a permanent ban. If they want to come back, they will have to appeal.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    That can easily be interpreted as Rule 4, seeing the blatant running from the hive to the frontlines, as a larva, just to die.

I will try to recover the Ckey of the player, then try to PM them about their reasoning for this. Depending on their response, I will either make a note and a warning, ban them for 24 hours, or ban them for 24 hours and xenoban them at the very worst.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    If I can and are able, I will remind the hive about Rule 2: Roleplay, and the roleplay standards of xenos.

If certain individuals do not heed my initial warning, I will PM them and warn them there.

If the second warning isn't enough, I may ban them for 4 hours. More if they are being dicks to me in the PM itself, too.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I gently remind the person who ahelped that the Xeno hivemind is an English translation of their thoughts, so words such as �hydro� or �shuttle� are acceptable.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I acknowledge the ahelp, and quickly PM the Officer in question that Marines are only supposed to know about HUMAN threats: Such as CLF, Pirate incursions, or 'those pesky UPP' who might or might be in the same sector as them.

If the officer persists, and does not listen to PMs, this might change into a breach of Rule 6, and I might, once again, warn him that if he keeps this up I will ban him for 4 hours and possibly ban him from command roles if he doesn't shape up.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    This IS tricky. I would usually be inclined to agree with the player as, in the character's shoes in certain situations, it might just be enough for a person to crack under pressure and perform extreme acts to save himself. I will still PM him to ask for a modest reasoning on why he did it, since it borderlines Rule 4 if the reasons aren't strong enough.

It depends heavily on the context.

However, if the other player ahelps, I might just have to consult other Moderators to figure out if this is a breach of rule 4, or if the Roleplay was strong enough to warrant it. Though I would not want to alienate the player with a ban for "roleplaying", I would probably just resort to a warning to not do it again, if at all possible.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I don't take pride in the fact that my feelings can be hurt. Depending on the context of the situation, as I have stated before, insults might just double my sentencing for the person. A person whom I have warned and openly disagrees I might just remind them about Rule 3, again; and if they continue being rude, in the context of a mere warning, I will probably ban them for a minimum of 4 hours and make a note on their behavior.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    There are no real rules regarding SSD people. I would usually tell them that they would have to race to medical to have it removed manually, because I cannot interfere with the round like that.

Though if the context and positioning favors him, i might be convinced into trying to remove the larva myself,especially if another staff member says so.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I will do as I was told to do by others, and let a Manager/Admin know of this. Ideally I would simply prod the staff member that he is wrong and should take a step back.
    Though in the event that prodding and talking isn't enough, I would resort to the judgement of the administrators.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I defer to the administrators/Managers whenever I am in doubt of something rule related. Their judgement is final for me regardless of context.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    Yes! Anooki badly wants me to, as well. Plus I feel as if I might do well; might as well give it a shot!

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Common Sense.
    The ability to ask questions to other staff members
    Trust in other staff members.
    A degree of empathy and understanding for players trying to have fun.
    Common Sense.

Anything else you
    I, sometimes, tend to forget things. I appreciate reminders, but please be gentle.
    Last edited by Whiteflicker; 03-20-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of your ban related answers seem to have the common misconception of improper ban times.
    The correct escalation time is 3 hours -> 24 -> 3 day ban -> 7 day/+perma

You don't suddenly just jump to 24 hours on the first ban worthy offence unless the situation warrants it, such as someone shooting up briefing. Start off with 3, if the note history warrants it and make your way up.

Asides from that, no, you can't help out SSD players who get infected/killed/whatever to xenos, if it ain't grief then it ain't an issue.

A further addendum is that on the pod question, with sufficient roleplay, can be deemed an IC issue as its not outta the question for someone to take someone's life in order to save their own skin.

Overall, I think we can make this work.

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteflicker View Post
    A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?[INDENT][I] Ideally I would call on a person who is more familiar with the honor code and ask for advice, at the cost of a slower response to the issue.

I would IDEALLY like to work with others on trying to figure out a punishment, and take note of what they do -- for future reference. At best it's a warning, at worst it's a warning AND a player report. I would usually refrain from banning Predator players outright unless the case is very severe and he hasn't stopped at just killing one person, seeing as they are usually veteran players who SHOULD know what they're doing.

Otherwise what's the point of a whitelist?
    I recall you once told me "If you can become a mod, so can I!". I'm glad that you're finally making good on that(With only a little pestering.).

Now, onto the actual application.

Generally, unless the Predator actually somehow broke server rules to kill the player, it's not the moderation's business. Predators ARE antagonists, after all. Questions of the honor code should be left to player reports, or perhaps higher level administration, depending on the situation.

Aside from that,and what Imp pointed out, this is a pretty good application. I'm glad you finally made it. Any issues should work themselves out during the trial period.

Big 'ol +1.

Edit: While I do feel a lot of the concerns raised by other staff members are valid, based on personal experience with Whiteflicker I feel the vastest majority of them would iron out during the trial phase.
    Last edited by Anoonki; 03-21-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you're a long time player, but did you recently come back, as you only started playing again the middle of march with 20+ hours, and you had a few hours in Jan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    I know you're a long time player, but did you recently come back, as you only started playing again the middle of march with 20+ hours, and you had a few hours in Jan.
    Indeed I have. I took a year long break (just about), but am just now starting to return into the game, seeing all the improvements that have been made since I left.
    I gotta say, all the changes -- specifically the IO role -- kinda sparked that 'want' to play in me again.

I'm guessing you're worried about how active I'm going to be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your answers being all over the place. Ignoring the ban times as I myself even had the wrong idea, you don't seem to have a grasp on how we wish our staff to handle things.

The big red flags that pop out especially are your medic od answer, you shouldn't ever answer an ahelp in which you are involved in unless every other possible option is impossible. Very eager to jump for job bans or bans when a warning/note would suffice easily, and not much showing you thoroughly investigating each issue. While most of the other answers pop a minor flag that could be ironed out in a trial. I recommend looking at plenty other accepted applications and see how they answer their questions and get a feel. Nothing against you but your answers aren't good enough for the cut in my opinion.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm have to echo several of Daturix's opinions here. It feels like you're very quick to jump to bans, and it seems evident to me that you've not looked at accepted applications or spoken to other Staff about any of this. I'd be willing to overlook the low recent playtime, or the answer issues, but I honestly can't quite support both.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you could be given a shot also. +1

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daturix View Post
    With your answers being all over the place. Ignoring the ban times as I myself even had the wrong idea, you don't seem to have a grasp on how we wish our staff to handle things.

The big red flags that pop out especially are your medic od answer, you shouldn't ever answer an ahelp in which you are involved in unless every other possible option is impossible. Very eager to jump for job bans or bans when a warning/note would suffice easily, and not much showing you thoroughly investigating each issue. While most of the other answers pop a minor flag that could be ironed out in a trial. I recommend looking at plenty other accepted applications and see how they answer their questions and get a feel. Nothing against you but your answers aren't good enough for the cut in my opinion.

Hit the nail on the head.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    Hit the nail on the head.
    At the cost of sounding mean, but these are things that I can very easily rectify in the trial period.

I'm not actually stupid. Now that I know that I shouldn't do certain things, and after being informed of the proper ban times, it wouldn't take me THAT much effort to correct myself; especially since I have people within the staff team to confide myself with and ask questions, not to mention that I don't really trouble myself with asking questions to heads of staff if I need to.

And, to top it off, It's not like I will be operating alone at all times. You all can see my interactions with other players. And It's not as if I might instantly ban people without talking to them first -- that is counter-intuitive, and of course I would investigate, that falls within the realm of asking questions, common sense, and having a degree of situational awareness.

Like come on, you're making me feel as I'm a horrible person who can't handle himself. I fully admit that I am not that great, and I'm not experienced, but that's why there's a trial period, right? And it's not like I've outright shown myself as abusive, right?... If I did, then please, let me know. I am also not particularly new at the game; I've been at it since the Sulaco, I just took a break is all.

Heck I was a Mentor on this server at one point. I just had to stop being a mentor when I couldn't keep playing.

I'm sorry for giving off red flags. I'll keep it in mind that I, obviously, need to steer clear of personal bias.
    Last edited by Whiteflicker; 03-21-2019 at 02:56 PM.