Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My PFC Shenanagains were banned, for some reason

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My PFC Shenanagains were banned, for some reason

I love cm, it's a fun game, with a decent mix of action that provides tension, and roleplay that provides context, but even though I love CM, I admit that it is a very deliberate, focused, slice of gameplay, with the exception of event rounds. I have found a great many of the roles to be fun and engaging, but lately I haven't really enjoyed some of them, as they seem to be repetitive to the point of naseum, there are only so many ways you can faff around in req, then brief, and deploy by 12:25, secure LZ1 up to tcoms and either win or have the inevitable boarding where you might die, or evac, or SD (which can all feel kind of samey, and as the boarding is only 25 minutes, there isn't enough room to dynamically branch off of this to create meaningful experiences besides last stands or absolute routs/ert winged hussar moments.) So somewhat recently I've figured a solution for this problem: shenanagains.

It all started with my hatred of ice colony, whenever i wanted to play, but didnt want to play a shipside role, I'd often not deploy, and in my refusal I found it boring to sit on the ship doing fuck all, or getting arrested, so I started finding things to do in my time on the ship, which eventually evolved to asking CO for permission for reassignments, and after a long enough time of refining my approach and ideas, I've finalized the format. Whenever there was an ice colony round, or I really didnt want to deploy or play other shipside roles, I'd join as PFC, come up to CIC, ask CO over the intercom if I could speak with them, and proposing a certain reassignment or job on the station, often in a junior role (I'm applying for officer school, MP academy, etc) and I've often found COs and shipside crew willing to role with my ideas, often given field promotions, reassignments, access changes, and new attire to fit my new roles. This started out as a way to alleviate boredom when playing when I didn't want to deploy, but it slowly became more about providing dynamic experiences to ship crew during the round. Some of you may remember me joining a department as "the new guy" as a pfc. I have with one exception always gotten CO's approval, and it was always as a favor I asked, never forcing the decision onto them or any of my new coworkers, if they didnt want to engage with my gimmick I wouldn't ever try to make them. I've found that this approach creates a dynamic attitude during an otherwise copy paste round, and can make things more memorable for those who choose to get involved. For example: one round the other day I decided to show up as PFC, and ask the CO if I could get some on the job training because I intended to join the officer corps, I'd like to observe the CIC staff and learn about leading. CO allowed it, and after getting properly dressed up as an officer and talking with CIC staff, the CL whispered to talk with me for a bit in his office, so I agreed, letting CO know I would only be a minute, because i wanted to know what the CL was on about. He promised to talk to some powerful people he knew to get me an officer commission and rise through the ranks, but in return he would need to give me a loyalty implant. I was immediantly suspicious, so I told command what was happening, XO showed up immediantly and started talking about how she owed WY her life but didnt want them recruiting her newest officer, and all is fine. After a while CO brought me and XO to the mess, and through a long test, got me to promise I would BE the XO and showing my willingness to end my own life on his orders if it was neccesary, as the whole issue and XO's reports had brought my loyalty into question, rightfully so, as I was a nobody that randomly asked for essentially an officer internship, and I tell them about CL offering a bribe in his office and loyalty implants and the like. The whole encounter in CIC mess was incredibly fun and tense, and the round on the whole was really cool to play out, I do shenanagains like this all the time, which brings me to the reason I'm making this post.

As of earlier today, a staff member (for the life of me I can't remember which one, it's not really relevant) informed me that I would no longer be allowed to carry out these shenanagains, as they considered them to be mini events that a mod had to oversee ( though i never asked admins to do these, and admin intervention wasn't ever neccesary as to my knowledge I wasn't breaking server rules) and if they allowed me to do them they would have to allow others to do them as well (which I agree with, but have a counter answer to that I realized before making this post, which I will mention later), and that I had done the junior officer gimmick enough to know the role by now and that it was unneccesary. I informed them that I did indeed know the roles that I had done the gimmicks as, but I was doing it for fun, and for good RP, as it tended to shake things up and make them more interesting. I told them that there wasn't really a need for these things to be moderated as they themselves admitted I wasn't a shitter (and I believe my note/ban list can reflect this), and that I always ran this shit by COs before doing it. They conceded the point about learning a role, and nothing I had done broken any established server rules (I had gotten a clarification that PFCs are allowed to not deploy as they are not individually essential and you can be held responsible ICly). If I recall correctly, they also said that I needed to stop doing the ID changes, but I informed them that the ID changes were only handled by CIC staff and that it was their decision to make, which I don't think they disputed. They said that the staff team had been discussing this, and that a manager had made a ruling that it was okay once or twice, but not every day (I don't do these every round, just when I'm feeling bored or creative, but as I'm not getting admins to do anything, or breaking any rules I dont see what it would matter the amount of times I did it a day), and thusly they asked me to stop doing these gimmicks and shenanagains.

Now I do enjoy other typical roles like squad spec, MP, etc, but I don't see an issue with allowing these gimmicks, they're at CO discretion, I'm not forcing it on anyone, and they tend to spice things up in (IMO) a positive way, which can lead to enriched roleplay for anyone who wants to bite the fishing hook and join me. I do love some of the regular roles, but these shenanagains that I have been doing have been some of the best fun I've ever had on the server, it scratches an itch I've pretty much always had since I started playing CM more regularly, ever since they haven't added a dedicated crewman role. MT's can only do their engineering job, deploy to help build fob if CO allows, do stuff like cooking which not many people will engage with and often requires crucial supply points that ROs usually need, or commit crimes by breaking into CO's office to steal jones, or whatever. Synth is kind of like what I have in mind, but they have really restrictive programming and are usually too busy doing mission crucial jobs to faff around the ship. SOs never get to do anything but overwatch which is why I never play them, which just leaves XO or PFC free to do shit like this.

I thought their claim that they'd have to allow everyone to do it was valid and a fair arguement, until I realized that all of my fun duty altering shenanagains always happened with the CO's direct approval, which made me think: why not just allow CO to allow these fun gimmicks if it means they are held responsible ICly if they break the law or do something they really shouldn't, or OOCly if they compromise the game or their chances for victory by allowing too many of these reassignments, with discretion. Obviously it would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to prove that making 1 pfc a janitor cost the whole OP, but not so much for a squad of tacticool janitors. My idea would be to allow roles like PFC, MT, XO, Synth, Researcher, CL, that aren't mission critical (after they have performed their essential duties like setting engine) to be reassigned to custom jobs or duties if the CO personally allows them, with the expectation of being responsible for those custom jobs just like they are with unconventional or meme strategies.

I hadn't ever brought these fun things I do up because until now I have never had staff talk to me about it, if they were worried too many people would do this, to my knowledge I hadn't seen anyone but CLs do this kind of thing in any regular/non event round capacity, I'm not sure if I should have brought this post to a different subforum to appeal an admin decision, but as I dont remember the staff member's name and I don't know the manager that ruled on this's name, I'll just leave it here for discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like what you were doing was fine. It's not harming anyone. We should have some wiggle room to make stuff up and RP without staff having to babysit all the time.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today we will lower the CM RP level even more

This post was made by the gestapo moderator gang

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mods need work too, avalanchee

>

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    mods need work too, avalanchee

>
    :weary:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get fucked

- Mod gang

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You kinda left the part out where I actually saw your point was valid and while trying to discuss it, you basically told me "You made me sad If I can't do this ill just play on TGMC server instead"

Then you cyroed and left the server before I could discuss it further. I saw your point was valid, but obviously you see my concern that this is becoming a common occurrence with the whole "Junior/Deputy/Intern" thing, and could lead others to wanting to do it.

What happens when we have a whole squad of PFCs who ask the CO "Hey can I be a Junior MP instead like Ana Bow?"

Myself and the Admin manager discussed it in depth, and he said a CO/aCO should not be entertaining it or holding OCS classes during a operation.

However, I said you could finish the round and was going to tell you I was going to talk to Emeraldblood about it being allowed or not, but you quit.
    I'm also pretty sure if I said I would keep you in mind for roles with admin events if we were both online and I was running one.
    Last edited by ThesoldierLLJK; 03-21-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was a cute little gimmick. But sadly I have no right to argue with 2 admins. Like, I get its really nice rp for others but I mean more could do this. Thats one less PFC at the front
    I like the RP that you give but I think you are over reacting a little bit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go CO on ice and use elite Carson tactics to end the round

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobatnight View Post
    Just go CO on ice and use elite Carson tactics to end the round