Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

araclain - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    araclain

Player Name You Use Most?
    Brooke Wells

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    N/A

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    The battlefield execution is an inherently low RP tool. Modern militaries don�t execute their own service members. In 250 years of US military history, one guy has been executed for desertion. The rest were all rapists and murderers.

I believe the BE has a very specific use, and that is on the BATTLEFIELD. It's exclusively for dealing with human threats to the operation who cannot be otherwise contained. It isn't for killing marines who are being annoying or calling the captain rude names, and it isn't a substitute for normal executions sentenced for extreme misconduct.

And until it has been boarded, the Almayer is not a battlefield. A shipside CO should never BE anyone without being personally deployed. You cannot battlefield execute someone if you are not on a battlefield. I feel very strongly about this.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, an Executive Officer wh
    I�m probably going to rotate through a few new characters to find one who fits the best with the CO position. Brooke doesn�t fit the bill. Instead, I�m going to focus this on my off-main, David Flashman.

In general, I�d like to remain pretty laissez faire about the other departments. How they run themselves is not my concern--so long as they don�t stumble. Using the MPs to correct marine behavior is kind of like torturing someone into being your friend. It doesn�t work. Incompetence or inexperience shouldn�t be punished, even when an SO launches an OB at 15 marines on the Alamo. Make sure that the person in question knows they fucked up, but taking revenge at that point is vindictive. It�s usually low RP and it�s never productive. Besides, who hasn�t OBd the FOB once or twice before?

As for the situations listed above, here�s how Flashy might deal with them:

CIC staff who repeatedly make mistakes or are otherwise unattentive are going to be relieved of OW duty and sent down on deployment so that I can take over. This is a win-win: I get to make sure shit�s done right, and usually SOs are begging to deploy anyway. The same goes for XOs. If things are calm I�ll walk them through it, but in my experience bad command staff isn�t the learning type--the job isn�t hard enough to need significant mentorship.

Situations of insubordinate command staff, particularly the XO, don�t really worry me; I�m far from infallible, I probably won�t be the best captain ever, and I want to hear the thoughts of my subordinates--especially SLs. If a situation arises where the XO absolutely won�t listen to me, I�d turn it over to the rest of command to decide our course--or tell the SO/XO in question to go deploy to get them out of my hair. And if SLs don�t want to listen to me, there�s really nothing I can do about it. I think it's vital that everyone on the ship feels like they have agency, because otherwise they won't want to listen to anything that I say at all.

As for MTs or CTs not following orders, it depends on the context. If they�re maliciously appropriating marine resources, they�re going to get hit with the MP hammer. If they�re just performing poorly, I�d speak to the department head and try to sort things out, or send a synth over. If things are really fucked, then I guess I might go and handle their department myself--provided I have someone on my staff to hand the CIC over to. My general philosophy is that if the crime in question is so inconsequential that the MPs feel the need to ask me what to do, it�s not worth arresting someone over.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The CO�s role is two-fold: lead the marines to victory via CM�s CIC mechanics, and provide interesting roleplay opportunities for the Almayer crew. They�re the human side�s shepherd--not its king, not its dictator. That�s why he gets to give out medals. It�s positive reinforcement. Like dogs!

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    DEFCON is a step in the right direction. I do think that the role of CO suffers from not being distinct enough; as is, with a competent XO, the CO doesn�t really have anything to do (and vice versa). But that�s what makes it an RP role. In general, the CIC desperately needs an OW terminal for the TC, and it�d be awesome if the CO could look directly through squad helmets on the command console.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    Honestly, my primary motivation for getting the whitelist is that I love playing aCO solo CIC during late-hour lowpop. I feel like I�ve been around enough to play the real CO, and not the XO-hoping-no-CO-wakes-up-and-ruins-everything. There have been many rounds as lone XO where I've desperately wished I could have handed out a medal or two.

Aside from that, and this might be folly, but I want--and have wanted since I started playing CM--to run the Almayer more democratically than I usually see. I believe winning rounds comes down to people knowing, understanding, and agreeing with their orders. It�s no coincidence that marines often win lowpop rounds when the CIC is deserted. Contrary to how we might feel with our fancy commissioned ranks, squad leaders are by far the most important part of marine strategy. What they think, do, and say matters more than anyone else.

Of course, I�d also really like to do my part in elevating RP standards for the entire shipside crew, as I�m often too busy to get into that stuff as XO and SL. I�ve always thought HRP on CM could stand to be more than just �do you talk with a funny accent or not.�

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    Sorry for the novel, but when I do something, I go all-out. If it seems like I'm taking the piss out of some of SS13's dumber mechanics, that's because I am. Here's a link to it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the entire story. Before I get into that, though, I want to talk about what I've seen from you in-game and the app itself. This is going to be almost as long as your story.

As far as in-game goes, you're good. One thing that always comes to mind when I saw Brook Wells in the CIC - and I hope I'm not mis-characterizing you - is that you have a bit of a fiery temper. Even going as far as to confront the XO in the CIC, insult him, and dare him to take action about it. It seemed a little LRP or bizarre for a LT to be confronting their superior (the XO, no less) like that. I wasn't sure whether or not it was your actual OOC behavior too, but I had a round with you (as Flashman) just the other day where you did perfectly fine. And your app and story indicate a certain amount of self-awareness, to the extent I know it's just something put-on for your character. But you're a pretty long-serving member of the CIC, you're very competent, and you can pull off some good RP. So your in-game capabilities are fine by me.

The app is OK. Your reason for wanting the whitelist just seemed like, "I want to be a lowpop CO", at least for the first part of your answer. Which is a little meh. The rest of your answer is fine, though, and I know you didn't write that because of a lack of confidence in your abilities. It's just historically not been a great answer to give out, as far as I'm concerned. Your BE answer is something else. First of all, executions for desertion were extremely prevalent during the American Civil War, which is within that 250-year span. Change it to 150 and you'd be correct. But that's the biggest nitpick I could possibly give. As for the BE answer itself, I think your answer is a little odd.

Say you haven't deployed, and the dropship hasn't crashed into the Almayer. Say an SO decides to act against your wishes, orders the marines to do things you don't want them doing, openly insults you, and refuses to obey your orders. Maybe they even go as far as to threaten you. No MPs are available. What do you do?
    You're correct that the BE is an inherently LRP tool. But it's a LRP tool intended specifically to put a stop to any LRP bullshit that someone might be pulling. If anything, it's an IC solution to what might be an OOC problem. Am I going to tell you that you should BE someone rather than find another way to resolve the issue? No. But you shouldn't be afraid of it, either, and I want to be sure you understand how it works.

So I've already made a wall of text and I haven't even gotten to your story yet. In short terms, I liked it. A lot. It fairly witty, it kept me interested, and it was well-written by all accounts. I would say to be a little more mindful of your audience and who's going to be reading this, because a fourteen-page story is very atypical of a CO whitelist app. I have very little understanding or experience with the other whitelist apps, but I'm pretty sure that'd also be considered excessive for them. I hope it won't be held against you, though. I didn't see any significant dips in quality throughout the story (which is impressive for something of this length) and it highlighted your character's personality pretty well. I thought the part with "Comrade Kirov" was a little odd, but it didn't harm the story at all as far as I'm concerned. IMO this is a really good story, regardless of length.

TL;DR, you're a good player with an absolute mammoth of a story, and despite some disagreements with your application I understand where you're coming from with them and I'm willing to look past them. I don't know how everyone else (or more importantly, the Council) is going to view this app, but I'm willing to vouch for you. Solid +1 from me. Good luck.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: BE

I had actually included my thoughts on a situation such as the one you've now given, but for some reason I decided to expunge it before posting. When MPs are not available and someone--particularly a member of the command staff--is actively working to undermine the CO, I do feel like a BE is justifiable. The lack of MPs is the fulcrum here. It has to be that the threat posed from the executionee cannot otherwise be contained. Now, this situation may actually come up fairly frequently; the point that I want to stress is that I personally don't feel the BE is justified for things like getting back at a bad PO for evacuating too early or permanently killing a low RP shitposter during briefing. There are almost always other ways (and more fun ways for the entire crew) to deal with those issues.

I realize the story is much longer than the usual, but that was the space I felt I needed to answer the prompt in a fun and engaging way.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets see Brooke. You're probably one of my favorite Officers next to Alan Jones. Your initiative to handle problems and to make quick decisions has often gotten us those very ebic marine majors. Your notes are really good from someone with your play time and I've never seen you have a bad interaction with me, a staff member or any other player before so that just goes to show you are an exemplary player in this community. For that you have my respect.

The application is very well written, very detailed but also concise.

But... The BE tool is named the Battlefield Execution is just a fancy word for the term "Summary Execution". Its not realistic in any sense. The reason we had it is because we had a bunch of shitters to deal with on a day to day basis. It doens't have to be used on a battlefield as it can be used whenever a Captain of the USCM sees fit that someone must die for their actions. I wouldn't ever be afraid to use it. As sometimes a brigging, or a stern talking too will NOT straighten out some. The BE can used in Code Delta on cuffed prisoners only if they meet the requirements of a BE. You can use it for anything as long as the reason is justifiable and meets one of the 3 critiera. But I know you most likely dont give a fuck and this will not penalize you in any sort of way if you don't ever use your power to BE. Thats perfectly fine and the council will respect your right not to use it.

I agree with you on expanding OW to let us see IO's, the Tank or an Officer who is potentially down there as LONG as they got a M10 Marine Helmet on. I should consider forwarding this to the devs actually.

I read the entire story out of respect for the time you put into it. I'm truly and honestly amazed. I don't know what else to say than keep writing as I love your style of it.

+1.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good fucking story. Loved it. Also, you are both a good marine and XO.

Definitive +1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i could say has already been said

+1
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just called the BE A LRP Tool which is designed to DENY any Case of LRP agaisn't the CO.

So, If a Marine Attempts agaisn't your Live you wouldn't Defend yourself Be'ing the guy in the process?

I got a Round where a SO literally Deployed the alamo at round start even when you told him to don't 2 times already, that almost got two people killed by the xenomorphs.

So you're saying that I dealt with the LRP with a LRP action?.

I'm gonna stat neutral leaning to to -1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edgardo View Post
    You just called the BE A LRP Tool which is designed to DENY any Case of LRP agaisn't the CO.

So, If a Marine Attempts agaisn't your Live you wouldn't Defend yourself Be'ing the guy in the process?

I got a Round where a SO literally Deployed the alamo at round start even when you told him to don't 2 times already, that almost got two people killed by the xenomorphs.

Im just gonna say this. BEs are of opinion, usually. Is it really worth throwing out the entire app because they don't want to BE marines? I'm sure none of us who applied expected (Or admitted to) use BEs often. Just my thoughts

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say don't take this wrong way Edgardo. I've BE'd over 200 players now. Everyone has a different stance/opinion on it and you cannot penalize em for it as a CO can go the whole time without BEing anyone. We shouldn't bash players who simply don't want to use it. If its their character and their roleplay. We can't take that from them. So I urge you to re-read the rest of the app before giving someone a -1 like that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got Captain whitelist and said in my app that the BE was LRP. Like Bancrose said, everyone have his own opinion on it. I executed over 15 people following marine law as a Command but I never and will never use a BE.

If you want to deny an app cause that player don't want to use the BE, just take me my whitelist
    The French Madmen: Capitaine Renaud 'Sierra' Chatillon

Almaric, the history teacher synthetic