User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should there just be a rule on vocabulary at this point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should there just be a rule on vocabulary at this point?

I can understand an admin getting on someone for using acronyms sometimes, but I find that some situations require nvm, or ok instead of okay. Was warned not to use them and I find that really.... odd to say the least. A friend of mine told me an admin got on him for saying uwu when another marine made a joke about a face hugger. That's not ERP, its sarcasm.

The point is having Admins get on people for language police is more than a little weird when its for common phrases used in English online. I can see where some people draw the line at things like the rule for Sexual harassment or obviously don't use racist slurs. Not everyone on the internet is able to handle harsh language.

But when an admin gets on someone for replying to another marines joke, that was already sleezy silly in nature. There's a little context that's missing from the accusation there. I can understand when an admin gets on me for saying WTF. But before joining this server as someone from the 'Seth Tide'. I always figured even the Russians on Crossout I play with knew about WTF.

So maybe just make a list of what phrases the admins don't like, or dont get on us for using language you dislike when we're not even aware what language is 'bannable'.

For reference, take Rule #1 : Rule 1. No Erotic Role Play (ERP), erotic content, or 18+ sexual content - Roleplay intended to elicit a sexual response from the receiver(s), including but not limited to writing stories (WGW) or posting links to adult content. Doing so will almost always result in an instant permaban from our server. This is not to be confused with distasteful but acceptable marine bravado such as scratching your crotch or cup-checking. However, these actions could still be susceptible to Marine Law.

The Last part, not to be confused with marine bravado, I think is applicable to the context in my friends situation and I find it a little jarring when an admin doesnt see the context behind it and gets on a friend of mine for such a small thing. How about get on the people that yell the N-word in the drop ship and get shot by other crew members after.

However, I also understand that if you don't like an admin, sometimes its better to play when they're not online and when other, more down to earth admins are around becuase of rule 0.1

Rule 0.1 Rules are enforced as intended. Every example of a rule break cannot be defined as written, therefore, enforcement of the rules is subject to staff interpretation of the rule's intention.

So if you're like us and have been 'warned' harshly for something you find normal other players. Maybe just play in the evening if you can. Most Admins are pretty reasonable from what I've experienced so far. It's only One I've encountered that is the real 'language police' and for the sake of being polite, I will not name this person because i respect their privacy.

The gist of this post to the skimmers, maybe just make a brief set of examples in the rules of certain phrases that should be avoided. We're not trying to be rude or crude to the staff, at least I'm not. Just make some examples because we're not always going to shred through forums to find examples of 'poor speech'.

As much as I hate even writing this post because I hate censorship in almost any form, I recognize that the rules regarding speech on the server are set by the staff and creators to keep things in order. We can't always have the tank in briefing.

Again I just want to stress to staff, we don't mean to be rude or mean to anyone if we come across that way. A lot of us are younger, myself in the early twenty's and the type of language we use is slightly different from those that are a little older. Yes, I say 'lol' at work or 'wtf' and so do a lot of people I work and live around, but again I understand that the server is a different place that I'm entering and I'm not aware of the cultural difference.

My recommendation is perhaps expand upon Rule 7. : English only - All communications within the server should be done in English only. Phrases from other languages are fine but should not make up the majority of your conversations.

Slight insert as well, no I was not playing the round in which my friend was reprimanded by an admin for saying UWU in reply to a marines banter about face huggers, however I was in Teamspeak playing Sekiro. I understand that the rule that must be maintained is Rule number 6

: Rule 6. No Metagaming or Metacommunication - Acting upon knowledge your character does not have or communicating information about the current round, including but not limited to private discussions, chat rooms, and voice chats during the game. If you want to talk to other CM players about CM or just in general, we have an official Discord, but keep the discussion about past rounds and never about the current one.

Examples:
    Welding vents before seeing the aliens use them or before they've boarded the ship.
    Building defenses on the ship before a hostile force is en route.
    "Ramboing" - Chasing down aliens immediately after the first contact, directly to their hive.
    Examples that are NOT Metagaming:
    Aliens slashing powered devices such as APCs, cameras, and lights.

When I first joined the server I was initially wary of this rule, however, after talking with members from other stations, such as goonstation, I've become pretty fond of this because it helps force players to be creative. See an alien, you can't tell your friends, you have to either make some noise with a gun or call for help on the radio. If you're on discord or TS and you hear a friend say something about Lamba, tell them not to tell you that but to type it in the radio instead. Try to keep communications about the current round in the radio chat or local IC chat.

Posted the last part because I know how many people are 'terrified' of the 'seth tide' and how they need to be mega paranoid of everyone that's new. You can still talk to your friend about anything else, just not the current round, to other seth Tiders like myself, I know it's hard at first but you will get used to it, make sure you and your friend are in the same squad if you can so then the radio will be able to help you say ' I saw an alien' and have the IC knowledge given legitimately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly, you haven't been playing for a long time. Rules are rules and there should always be rules. There is a discord that we have you can chat about. Or put in the acid goop. We have that for posts like these for a reason. And as a normal player. It really kills the RP to be truthful, but I have never been yelled at for using KIA, WIA, MIA, Fubar, AWOL, because those are all miliarty terms and people find it acceptable.

"Alpha, you have a WIA marine at the bar, recommend getting to them before they are KIA"

Anything like texting terms like you said NVM really just kills the RP, FYI... etc...

This is my "OPINION" to you.
    Last edited by TheBluez; 03-27-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don�t use internet terms and speak on IC channels and you�re fine.

Military terms, real life slangs and technical talk is accepted.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moderators dont zap people for using proper military jargon/acronyms, but netspeak, like WTF is RLP as hell. Use common sense man.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Type as though you're speaking -- because IC, you're speaking over comms or to another person, not typing. So you'd never say "nvm". MIA, KIA, FUBAR, all that stuff is said out loud and is common military slang. Saying WTF, or GTG, stuff like that as though you're typing isn't acceptable. I understand that people do say "W-T-F", but it's better you just type it out. It reeks of netspeak.

Also, I've never, and likely will never see anyone get bwoinked or contacted by admins for saying "ok" rather than "okay". Ok isn't correct, but it's a pretty common way to spell it regardless, and I don't see anyone making a fuss out of it.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I did some digging, I can see where the Moderator said "Hey man try not to use WTF/LMAO/LOL" after you said WTF a few times.
    I don't think what the mod did was harsh at all, considering he said "Hey bud, try to avoid using netspeek in character." You also would never be BWOINKED for saying Ok instead of Okay. You didn't even get noted for it.

You can use military acronyms, we just have a rule against using netspeak like LOL/LMAO/BRB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd admit seeing them does kind of kill the RP moment, but at the same time I don't mind seeing them pop up every so often, due to how inbuilt it can be in a person to simply use those terms to shorten down text, I'v had times where I'v accidentally used them my self simple because i'm so used to typing like short messages like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's a bit of a gray area since some people these days do use netspeak IRL.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its common sense lmao what the fuck is wrong with people

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about also not "fixing" typos by going *word

People talk with a lisp now and then, just accept typos as it is.