Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desmet - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Desmet

CM Character?
    Xander Vegas. Previously Xander 'Baldie' Vegas. My character name from sulaco times would be pretty unknown so no point in mentioning that

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    +5:30

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    10 minimum, 20 on average

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I was moderator for a month but then went inactive due to college stuff

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Mostly No. I have played few rounds long back on paradise I think (not sure of sever)

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    It was on old forums. Couldnt find it now.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    It was on old forums. Couldnt find it now.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yup

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    1. Check number of shots(determine misclick): Leave IC
    2. check logs if there have been aggressive behavior between two parties (Improper Escalation then check notes, add notes, warning/3 hour ban depending on that)
    3. check notes if the player is griefer (if yes, ban according to last offense, 3 hour or 24 hour depending on how recent last one had been)

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Tell him to make player report on forums if he feels so. Inform him there could more to it which he doesnt know. Nevertheless, if he feels to make a player report help him with pred name and tell him to mention time of round so its easier to find logs while investigating report later

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Send our mentor memers after him. They need work to do other than OOC shitposting. Kidding!
    If there are no mentors online, I will give him some basic idea of how things work, i like to do it in IC if possible and share wiki and quick start guide with him to make it easier. If I have an important role at roundstart like command or req, I will send him a link to read up and check on him later.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I will do *help *scream emote at him. I am chill guy with respect to that. Regarding speaking to admin+, tell him he can make staff report if he doesnt like my actions/me whatever and if he wants me to talk to an online admin then ask him to give me a very good reason worth Consideration of our great admemes

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    check notes for similar rule violation in past, PM that name doesnt fit naming regulations, tell him to change it in next round in Setup Character. And can mods also change marine names now? not sure! can ask online admins though to do it after asking his suggestion for a new name for the round

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Mostly IC I would say

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Survivors are allowed to be hostile if they dont behave friendly on first contact as far as I know

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Get both side stories, check notes, check if logs match the story, Theft, Trespassing are minor crimes, ask what else he piled up to increase timer, crosscheck time limits with marine law. If needed confirm facts with potential witnesses and of course the great logs. Note/Warn/Ban/Job-ban according to situation

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    QM Message "Fight for the Glory! Make me proud! Take no step backward" something like that
    SM aliens "You feel its time to take revenge for your sisters even if it means death" or something like that. if aliens still delaying SM some command guy "you feel like checking that area".

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Tell him IC he is ODing. Ask some other online staff to investigate potential grief

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Hostile forces may fight even after round end

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    PM him to quiet it down, Round Start Shenanigan is low RP. Note him. If the guy has same cases in its history, 3 hr ban or greater depending on history

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Check for proper escalation. Note or ban depending on notes history

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Looc peeps to ahelp names of mutineers before mutinying and to REMEMBER to do it next time pre-hand

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    LOOC the group to cut it out. Its a game it shouldnt make someone uncomfortable on a personal level. Also tell the guy to take it lightly and not mind it if possible. CM has a lot of salt.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    7-day, file for perma, look for if the guy is key-hopping to grief checking IP in logs.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    check notes, talk to the guy. Warn/Note/Xeno ban according to notes and how intentional it felt

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Low RP. PM, Warn, tell him to read notes, note him down for the same. If he has that history, xeno-ban

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    its not, its difficult especially for new players to use CM slang terms. Hivemind is english translation of what xenos feel. So, normal english works AFAIK

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Check Custom Event by admemes. PM the guy instantly that you shouldnt be aware of that and to make in IC correction of that. Check Notes, if its a simple mistake, its fine if he corrects his mistake IC

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Check for improper escalation and nearby evac pods that could be taken. Situation seems mostly RP to me but if something fishy in notes or in the situation check it out.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    tell him to make staff report on forums and he can get banned for it. if he keeps it up 3 hour ban would do

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    tell him it happens. You cant pause online games and sometimes you have to move for like few seconds and you die. Will have to accept it.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    can discuss the issue in msay, will tell him what i feel. If we have opposing views, we have other staff to help us out in slack or discord if not online on server then

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would suggest to iron out the anomalies on staff chat in slack. Senior staff can always clarify when mods are not sure of some thing.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I like the server. I like the community. I think I can be of help.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Being cool-minded and open to your fellows' opinions works I think

Anything else you
    You guys do a great work voluntarily to keep the community going. I appreciate that. Especially developers who put in a lot of effort and are adding lots of features recently. I hope to be part of the same team.

I was a part of the moderator team couple of months back but then became inactive due to some important college stuff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Desmet wasn't a shitlord, and I was sad when him, finefire, and texastwostep just up and disappeared.
    Your answers are fine, and I think the only negative thing I would say is when you disappeared, we would have appreciated a heads up/retirement post.

Anyway if you're back now, I don't see why you shouldn't get another shot
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thrown a PM to Imperator that I would be away due to exams for a week or 2 but then some unexpected things happened and I was too preoccupied with stuff. But yea, a heads up or some communication on my part would have been better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have some good answers and could be ironed out on minor issues but your quite heavy on banning when warnings and notes would suffice very effectively. Due to this I will remain neutral until I see something that will tip my attitude towards you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify few things.
    1. I consider myself on the lenient side. I avoid bans and see if people are willing to learn by simple warning. I dont think people should be stopped from playing if they genuinely unintentionally fucked up.
    2. I have mentioned Warn/Note/Ban in my answers, well it depends on the severity of situation and I usually go with light warning, Heavy warning with note and then bans if needed.

I can always confirm with other staff when in doubt about severity of punishment needed.

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answers are pretty good, plus you were staff before.

+1 from me.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea +1
    H'chak Best click clack.

Alice 'Snow' Falkner: The one TRUE snowflake.

Lurker 420 Points at the dank weeds.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your answers are ok so I�ll give you my +1

Just to point out you mention slack a lot in some of your answers, we�ve now completely abandoned slack in favour of discord.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good person IC and out from what I gather and a long time player with no major issues either. Answers are fine, nothing that can�t be ironed out during your trial period. I think you�re worth giving a shot, nor would I mind seeing you on the team.

With that said though, what�s stopping you from going inactive again?
    What would you do if you needed to go inactive for some time?

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Pred App that is now null lol
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans_Feiffer View Post
    Good person IC and out from what I gather and a long time player with no major issues either. Answers are fine, nothing that can�t be ironed out during your trial period. I think you�re worth giving a shot, nor would I mind seeing you on the team.

With that said though, what�s stopping you from going inactive again?
    What would you do if you needed to go inactive for some time?
    In response to above question, I can not deny the possibility that I have to go inactive again. The only difference would be I would apply for extended leave instead of just dropping a PM to mod manager like last time. As to why I didnt do it last time, I planned for a short leave but then due to some personal reasons I could not come back until much later. And such personal occurences are very very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    Your answers are ok so I�ll give you my +1

Just to point out you mention slack a lot in some of your answers, we�ve now completely abandoned slack in favour of discord.
    Thanks for the heads up. Didnt know that.