Your Byond ID?
    Wintermote

Your Character Name?
    Bjorn Jorgensson

Accused Byond Key(if known):
    unknown

Accused Character Name
    Catherine Ortega

Approximate time and date of the incident (Central US Time for fastest results)
    ~8:00pm PST / 10:00pm CST

What rule(s) were broken:
    Rule 3, 4;

Description of the incident:
    At the start of the round, the CMP threatened to arrest anyone in the requisitions lineup who screamed, and then aimed a taser at one of the marines in the lineup.

I yelled over comms that the CMP was trying to start a mutiny, while half the marines started screaming and shouting in the lineup.

The CMP left without doing anything, and I went about my normal predeploy gearing up, spending just about all of my time in delta prep; aside from the initial situation at the req lineup, I had no other interaction with the CMP or other MP's or officers prior to my arrest. I barely even talked to any of the other marines in prep.

While heading to the dropship for deployment - about 30 minutes after the incident at the req lineup - the CMP aimed a taser at me and ordered me on the ground for "disrespect", I complied with the arrest, but bitched in adminhelp about the CMP.

I was brigged for 35 minutes for "3 counts of disrespecting a superior officer" - of which it was never actually made clear what those counts specifically were.
    The CMP had also arrested at least two others for similar reasons.

Before any of us got out of the brig, the CMP went and cryo'd herself, preventing those of us brigged from being able to take matters to the captain to have the CMP demoted or arrested, let alone anything else. When I adminhelped, dubszor responded, told me the CMP's actions were technically allowed by the rules, that there wasn't anything he could do anyways, and that the only admin online who wasn't afk and could was Dean, but it wasn't Deans' job to deal with it. I was told to create a player report instead.

This was the last round I was able to play for the night, and I wound up being brigged right up until the round ended without gettting a chance to actually fight.

Frankly, Catherine Ortega was intentionally baiting marines and skirting the edge of marine law and server rules for the purposes of griefing and trolling; they shouldn't be playing roles like CMP.

Evidence (screenshots, logs, etc):
    Catherine Ortega aims a taser gun at Bjorn Jorgensson!
    You are being targeted! You have 2 seconds to stop any click or move actions.
    PFC Bjorn Jorgensson screams!
    You are now resting
    LCDR Catherine Ortega says, "Get on the ground."
    Catherine Ortega tries to put the zip cuffs on Bjorn Jorgensson.
    Catherine Ortega has grabbed Bjorn Jorgensson passively!
    PFC Bjorn Jorgensson says, "What'd I DO"
    LCDR Catherine Ortega says, "You are under arrest for disrespecting a superior officer, three counts."

etc. etc. I don't have the full logs, but presumably they are saved on the server.

How you would punish the accused:
    Job Ban from CMP.
    Last edited by Boersgard; 03-30-2019 at 04:01 AM.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to mention for the purposes of clarity that the CMP went to cryo due to an OOC message about needing someone for a special role (replacing the Queen).
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lisa Ly, Started as an MP this round. While not directly involved in this specific incident, I was present and involved in the triggering incident. I think that my post will provide the necessary background to the CMP behavior this round.

After gathering up my normal equipment I assumed a post watching the RO lines, stationing at RO line 2. After a few minutes, the CMP in question joined. The Charlie? SL and another marine screamed and the CMP pulled out their taser aiming at a marine. She then warned the Marines no to scream in line. The marines got riled up over this. The CMP then walked to me and whispered that I was to arrest the SL in question and she was going to arrest the other marine. While I thought the arrest was unnecessary, the charge at most was Hooliganism. However, as an mp, I must follow the orders of the CMP as long as they are not unlawful. At the time of the arrest, I found the arrest questionable but not unlawful. After some resistance, we managed to arrest the SL and bring them to the brig. I was followed by another marine who entered the brig without permission and refused to leave. I brought out the stub baton to disable and cuff him. During this arrest, but before I could stun him, he assaulted me. I managed to get him down and cuffed. The CMP came and took the SL for processing while I processed the assaulting marine.

As I was processing the marine, the CO entered the brig and questioned the CMPS practices. There was a debate between the two, with the captain wanting the CMP to calm down their tactics. During this debate, I set the prisoners timer at 15 minutes. Minimum for the charge. While he was antagonistic, I believed it was triggered by the earlier arrest and took that into account. Marine law states that the minium must be used unless it is a duplicate crime or several crimes have been committed and only one can be chosen. Once I set the timer the CMP ordered my prisoner to be placed in the PERMABRIG. I refused as the max for the crime is 30 minutes, half of the required 60 and the CMP was not adding new charges. The CMP then proceeded to increase the prisoner's timer to 30 minutes. I argued that the CMP could not do that. Under the Marine law, "The Chief MP or CO may override this decision ONLY before the prisoner has been bridged unless he/she is giving the prisoner a lower time than the arresting MP. " The CMP said that she could change it as I set an "illegal" time. But did not go further into detail.

At this time, I determined that the CMP was intent on trying to be a hard ass and on a power trip. Having dealt with Rouge MPs just a few rounds earlier and several other stressful situations, I could not deal with it anymore. I figured if the round kept going for much longer, it was likely the CMP would be reported and I wanted to ensure I was not involved in any incident that would earn me a ban. I radioed my intention to cryo over the CMPs behavior and did just that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rexanna Siegrist, MP

I joined the game at around 12:12 and immediately caught wind of drama in command channels with the captain inquiring about Charlie SL's arrest. By the time I arrived at brig, I found a (charlie??) private cuffed to a chair with an arrest status, and shortly afterwards the Charlie SL coming out of brig cell hallway without cuffs, but they still had an arrest status. It seemed the captain came to brig and argued for Charlie SL innocence, which the CMP relented with releasing them but kept the private on for assisting the SL. During this argument, I given the charlie SL a pen and a pieces paper formatted with "USCMC HR Complaint:", which was given to the CO for signature and fax. They were let out with an released status. Later in the round, the captain and CMP argued again over the nature of the original release (charlie SL) and the legality of those kept related towards it. Nothing of note came of it.

All three prisoners in brig seemed to have been given similar charges of three counts of insubordination with the smartgunner having assault added on to their record. I saw these from their security records (via HUD), and at a certain point I had relayed to all the prisoners of them. I had suggested making a letter for the captain to appeal, but one claimed he already did a reviewed and did nothing (probably the second argument). I was under the impression that the insubordination charges were related to the Charlie SL. The last two the prisoners seemed to me to be given max sentences, but I wasn't their for the SG's timer.

The CMP also made LOOC statements earlier that they weren't griefing, it's apart of the job, and had talked to staff prior. Later, the cryoing aspect of the CMP did catch me off guard. They were the only MP brig for the three prisoners. I found out by the prisoners, but I had expected this to be long con. One tried to bribe me before, so I wasn't really trusting. I eventually came to the conclusion it was true.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I remember this round. I was XO during this (if I'm remembering the right round) and was discussing the initial plan with the CO when I heard Delta shout that the MPs were mutinying and the CMP was on a power trip. I remember being alarmed enough to tell the CO and they questioned Delta over squad comms. After that, I had to go deal with Req while the CO went to deal with the MP situation. When I finished, briefing was over and I returned to find the CO missing from the CIC, still busy with the MPs. This wouldn't have been an issue, except that when the incident started we had no SOs. While a few joined by this point, if they hadn't there wouldn't have been anyone on overwatch until I returned, making the CMP's decision even more disruptive for the round that it already was. As I step in, I warned the SO that was there at the moment that there was a potential threat of the MPs going rogue.

The only other thing I can say is that after this the CO made a number of attempts to get the MPs and CMP to talk to him over their comms, but the CMP never responded, adding to the "CMP is potentially rogue" situation. If this is the same round, then what most likely happened is the CMP chose to cryo without telling anyone, even their own MPs, while their actions had left everyone on edge.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMP here. In retrospect, I should have probably mentioned the cryo-ing to the MPs before going. It turned out that the staff needed a special role (replacing the Xenomorph Queen) and I accepted the job.

This is how the round transpired, to the best of my memory.

My story's simple. Round starts, and the marines are being disruptive in the line. I tell them to be quiet and stop hitting windows, because they are being loud, disruptive, and are tossing food all over the floor and at the MPs. One of them, Charlie's Squad Leader, responds by being rude while others smash the windows. I order them out of the line.

They move to another line when the rest of the marines do so. I order them to leave the line. They make a snarky remark about having left the line, and I attempt an arrest. Bjorn said something to the effect of me starting a mutiny or marines mutinying because of me, I don't remember which, but that was the precedent of the arrest.

Lisa Ly then enters the line, pushes several marines out of the way, and makes the arrest on the SL. Somebody starts to move me and the other MPs around. I arrest the marine who seemed to have done it at the time. They call me names multiple times during the process. When processing the SL and the Charlie Marine, I find a MP being beat up by Hugh Taranto. Since he was attacking the brig during the prisoner processing, I classified the crime as Jailbreaking since they could've ran out of the brig, had I not strapped them to the lounge chairs. The CO shortly after comes in and starts to argue about the prisoners. My MP did not set his time properly and I had to adjust it, but from what I recall it was altered again? I don't even remember now. (For future reference, Lisa, you can stun and cuff a person in line, then throw them out of it with Grab intent! It helps a whole lot.) He then asked for Hugh's pardon and I consulted High Command. (Ahelp'd - Dubzor was there, from what I recall.) Before we could discuss this in detail, he left my office.

Bjorn claimed I didn't explain his charges to him, although I am quite certain I did. From my understanding, I remember hearing him causing a stink in Delta comms and finally wrangling him at a later time.

The marine who was suspected and arrested for interfering with the arrest had that charge dropped because I admitted that I honestly couldn't tell which marine it was in the confusion. Because of this skepticism, I never added the charge to her timer, anyway. I gave her 45 out of 90 minutes (three minimum, stacking Disrespecting a Superior Officer charges) and told her that I was being lenient. I also tried to be friendly and made some chocolate bars to cheer the prisoners up a bit.
    (This is around when I LOOC'd.)

I also kept a transcript handy for the C.O. or MPs to consult in regards to prisoner appeals. It had most evidence on the transcript and the Chief Engineer could also be rung up for comms history in case they really wanted to push for a pardon. I afforded as many potential resources as I could as CMP to the prisoners, and also LOOC'd (as somebody mentioned) that I'm just doing my job. Usually, if I tell the marines to stop being disruptive, or rude, they tell me I'm power-tripping and immediately threaten to cause trouble, or interfere in arrests.

Hugh was civil in the brig, so I let him go a few minutes early. I probably should not have, since capital crimes cannot legally be pardoned, but the situation on the planet absolutely required him at the time, and common sense dictated that I let him go. This was around when the role was advertised. I ahelped, won it, then went to cryo. I did not notify the rest of the MPs about it, and should have - At the time, I was supposed to hurry. I think that Rexanna saw me go to cryo, or at the very least heard it, but again, do not know.

All in all, this is what I've got to say about the round, to the absolute best of my memory.

Which brings me to one other point. I'm not a dick. A douche. A bad person. I'm not playing MP to power trip or be mean, either. I do my best to do my job and be kind to the people who I have to arrest, even if they call me names and treat me poorly, because that's what I sign up for when I play MP. It's what the staff sign up for when they volunteer to moderate and help the community. Playing MP is just..I don't know, my way of giving back, I guess. A lot of people are really rude and mean IC, and I like to think that arresting them for doing that makes a positive difference for people.

If you feel that I am actually trying to antagonize you or be rude or mean, please, LOOC me or contact a staff member. Reach out. Don't automatically assume the absolute worst in people.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, you didn't just cryo to play Queen without telling your MPs. You cryoed to play Queen without telling the very limited CIC staff that were already worried the MP force was rogue while the CO was trying to get ahold of you. This was a very disruptive decision as the CO spent a good chunk of the round trying to hunt you down before finally giving up, during which time we had to make due with one SO and myself as an XO for a bit before two more SOs eventually showed up. The moment it appeared you were ignoring the CO (which was probably after you cryoed) at least one of the other MPs had also gone quiet, which left me fairly tempted to suggest the CO go to code blue and order the MPs to report in to the CIC for a head count.

We didn't know what to expect in CIC, we didn't know what was going on, but I know the first five to ten minutes after first drop my attention was split between doing Overwatch, coordinating with the SO's squads, and watching the MP comms for anything that might indicate an illegal raid on the CIC or arrest of the CO by rogue MPs. That last one shouldn't ever be something the SOs, XO, or CO need to spend so much of the round worrying about.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSentinel View Post
    As I said, you didn't just cryo to play Queen without telling your MPs. You cryoed to play Queen without telling the very limited CIC staff that were already worried the MP force was rogue while the CO was trying to get ahold of you. This was a very disruptive decision as the CO spent a good chunk of the round trying to hunt you down before finally giving up, during which time we had to make due with one SO and myself as an XO for a bit before two more SOs eventually showed up. The moment it appeared you were ignoring the CO (which was probably after you cryoed) at least one of the other MPs had also gone quiet, which left me fairly tempted to suggest the CO go to code blue and order the MPs to report in to the CIC for a head count.

We didn't know what to expect in CIC, we didn't know what was going on, but I know the first five to ten minutes after first drop my attention was split between doing Overwatch, coordinating with the SO's squads, and watching the MP comms for anything that might indicate an illegal raid on the CIC or arrest of the CO by rogue MPs. That last one shouldn't ever be something the SOs, XO, or CO need to spend so much of the round worrying about.
    My understanding was that I had been completely out of the loop in regards to the CIC. All I knew was that the CMO had a tray stolen and that the brig was packed, and that the CO was being quite unpleasant IC in our short meeting. I don't think I had a proper status on the CIC or any further information about it because I had a lot on my plate, and nobody to watch the prisoners until Rexanna showed up. (You can't leave prisoners unattended unless they're in the permabrig.)

From what I recall, the MP in question also mentioned going to cryo. If you are really concerned about the location of the MPs (such as if they cryo or have to go) you can use the Crew Monitoring Console to find them. Suit sensors can't be adjusted. This once again boils down to people assuming the worst. As I said before, if you're worried that the MPs are breaking the rules or "going rogue", please contact the staff or try to LOOC us. My understand is that we are bound, OOC, to follow the orders of higher-ranked crewmen, unless Marine Law contradicts those orders. You should NEVER have to worry about the MPs breaking the rules of the server - it's not something that people who play the role are allowed to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Weave View Post
    Bjorn claimed I didn't explain his charges to him, although I am quite certain I did. From my understanding, I remember hearing him causing a stink in Delta comms and finally wrangling him at a later time.
    The only 'explanation' of the charges I ever had at any point, was "3x disrespect".
    I was never told the specifics; I still don't know. It even seems like you don't even know.

You basically just laid a bunch of vague bullshit at me and arrested me for it with max possible brig time (+extra time just because).

Just pure shitlery behaviour, particularly as CMP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I was charlie's SG this round. We were screaming in the southline since no one came and the CMP wanted to arrest the SL (also screaming) for hooliganism(?). We kept screaming because it was a completely bullshit reason to arrest us. CMP seemed to back off, but when we migrated to the northline, which was operational, the CMP demanded the SL to get out and surrender. Again, we didnt care because it was bullshit, but the other MP present battoned their way to the SL.

As a good patriot and charlie unga, I went after the SL, since their crimes weren't stated, which led me to enter brig and then disarm the MP and punch em.

Shortly after, the CO came to deal with the mess. They managed to free the SL, and by consequence my crime of interfering would be nullified (as the arrested wasnt guilty in the first place and the punishment for interfering is to apply the same charge to the accused), which would leave me with assault charges. I got 25 minutes however, and even after asking no one told me my charges.

Then, the CMP comes and raises the timer, saying I was guilty of jailbreaking (and the other shit but that was the major crime)... even though I didnt break out of jail, nor was the SL in jail when I came after em. There's a crime for that and it's called interfering with an arrest.