User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A small dev ramble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems pretty good to me. Although I never took my GCSE in spessmen code.
    Plays:
    David Law, the Marine from Bravo Squad.
    Beyo Ze'stbeier, the Yautja.

Bravo is best, delta is too busy blowing themselves up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    logical

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed reading this rambling. I still hope our devs make unnecessary stuff to put in our code. One of the best things about SS13 is the obscurity of some mechanics. With our code being private it is much easier to implement these hidden features which give people a reason to do new things. We have Chems that are not shown on the wiki which I always found as a great way to encourage researchers to experiment with their chemistry machine.

Either way better performance is always a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePiachu View Post
    ...Less code means it will be easier to make our game run faster...
    This is something I said many times, aeons ago, to the staff working in CM-SS13.

"Your code need optimization. It's causing lags and ruining gameplay experience."

I have to admit I laughed every time my character got destroyed by decompression bugs involving atmos, that I reported as an unneeded feature on this mod of ss13.

It was entertaining to watch him, other marines, predators and xenomorphs flying around, taking damage and getting wrecked in the process. But most players wouldn't take it that way.

Same applied to lag, bugs, etc... That caused interference on gameplay.

Of those, lag is particularly bad and not entertaining at all.

I am 100% percent with you, ThePiachu. And it's a relief to finally see this issue addressed here.

Removing unused code, routines, checks and paraphernalia is what a professional game developer, programmer or project director do every time they have to work with a third party engine or when doing mods. A must on any project.

Game runs smoother, server get more memory and processing power for important stuff, etc.

Where the motto "less is more" proves true.

Keep the good work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the removal of extraneous code, but some of this stuff adds complexity that makes ss13 what it is. Recently DNA got removed - sure, it's never really used but... that still didn't feel right. That wasn't a removal of really dumb stuff. That was a removal of some actually useful core code that I've made good use of on other servers for solving crimes and doing investigations. Maybe not useful in the average CM round, but potentially useful for RP and event rounds. Or it was.

I'm worried that you're going to keep cutting and cutting until you're removing things the game really is better off keeping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take that fun 100 pop sandbox experience over the railroaded modern CM that we have today, shame so many SS13 features that lead to fun experiences have been gutted for this hollow husk that remains. Despite the issues a server split entails, CM should have pop locked and split the server in two to keep the fat in the game (guess people prefer anorexic CM over a healthy one).

Less is more only if the "less" is good enough to stand on its own, it simply isn't, combat has and never will be the strength of SS13 despite this server's every attempt to gut the code and optimize it to death.