Dabamman - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Dabamman

Marine Name
    Claudius 'Cards' Patel

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Zachariah

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Very much so.

Synthetic Character Story
    Preface: It is long, but I've been told it is good.

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

How do you intend to play your Synth?
    I play, Doctor, Maintenance Tech, Chief Engineer, Researcher, Cargo Tech, CMO, and SO; I love all of the support roles, and as such Zachariah will show great pride in his work, he will, however, look for the deeper meaning in all of it, rather than focusing on the surface level monochrome that coats all activities. Offering deep conversation and discussions instead of the off-handed comment or the low-level conversation. He maintains a healthy blood lust for very intelligent conversation. The best RP is the passive RP!

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
    I play them all the time and quite solely; I don't much like the combat in BYOND other than the shotguns or submachine gun arm-brace dual wield badass feeling. For APCs I'm still learning the APCs, but at the moment I know all medical procedures by heart, most Chems by hearts, and I can tactically report on what a squad is doing, and how they should best proceed. I can, for the most part, stave off the wild beast that is the requisition line; occasionally (especially with the vendor update) can forget a shorthand reference for an item, but that is rare. I can FOB deploy and set it up (Thank the Dev Gods for adding in the plasteel auto down feature). As for Researcher, I can RP relatively well with it; drawing blood or experimenting on monkeys with various chems, but none of that will be done with a Synth.

Why should we whitelist you?
    I think you should whitelist me because I love this server and the RP it holds itself too, and the effort that I have put forth in learning the ins and outs of support roles are not wasted on a round by round basis when I am left to being able to only perform one job at a time. I did take a bit of a break when the server got flooded with a lot of new people, and it was lagging a lot, basically when the performance of the server took a turn as did I, but now I'm back and happily settled back in.

Also for when the inevitable questions happen I will be busy for the next two days and will do my best to respond to them in a timely manner.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason?
    Nope.

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
    Never been banned.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Story may be long, but it does a nice job of demonstrating how your synthetic acts, it's also very well written, which shows you put effort into it. Quirk is also doable and fairly interesting, and I've seen Cladius on the server a few times.

I'll just 1+ this and leave the questions to the others.
    Max Judge, the 45 year old slightly fat man with an unfitting action hero name.

Fred, the worrisome synth.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you write a nine page story?
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote a nine-page story because I felt very inspired to write a rich and detailed backstory. When I think about my own life, and others lives it gets me going about how we are meant to write a story about a synthetic; in my eyes to even capture a moment in anything's life requires great detail and fathomable storytelling, or else you're just doing your own character and the reader a disservice. The whole theme of the story is the quirk of my Synthetic so it continued on while I demonstrated some basic knowledge and finished off with some much needed fleshed out dialogue; in my eyes this was the only way to properly demonstrate my quirk and tie it into a rich thematic world that is needed for a strong foundation in supporting my character. I wanted as stated before a strong foundation to set my best foot forward; it wasn't an attempt to up-stage or flex or anything of that nature, rather my full best attempt at writing something I care deeply about, and I hope that is reflected well.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you go into more depth on your synthetic's personality?
    Synthetic Senator

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay so I finished reading the story. It was well written but felt like a slog to get through, mostly because you try to over describe boring actions such as fixing generators or doing the surgery. You don't have to do that to show that you know what you're doing. In the end a lot in the story feels like a filler and could be cut out and you would have a perfect lenght. The story itself is pretty boring as well: just your synth doing typical synthetic things, but I can see you put effort into it. Also please for the next time don't use double space and put more paragraphs. This felt bad to the eye.

Also in the story you wrote fixing eye damage but then giving ImiAlky for the brain? Is that oversight on your part?

You took the risk of writing this in the first-person as well, and your character did feel pretty mechanic and not human, which is a good thing. I can somewhat you see you describing your synth's quirk of being over observant, mostly through the very boring long details you decided to put. I've never seen you on the server but I'll trust Brad that you know what you're doing.

For now I am neutral, leaning towards positive. I'll let others vote first what they think and perhaps someone else who can vouch for your support ability.

Edit: Sorry, but after thinking more about it and seeing what others have to say I am changing my vote to negative. Your quirk doesn't really fit synth playstyle: synths often have so much to do that there's no time to have long, overdescriptive conversations and you paying too much attention to anything. Honestly, I don't really see how that would work in game. Good luck on your next app.
    Last edited by AcuteCircle; 04-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright. The story is long and average at best. I will not hold that against you, since it does it's job.

The thing that I play a lot and I have seen you around a lot.
    But I have never seen you as anything else than an MP.
    And as an MP who broke the marine law procedures several times in multiple different situations.

I will await for other others before I cast my judgement, but so far I am sitting at neutral, leaning towards negative.

In the meanwhile, please answer this:
    The crew is mutinying against the commander, who has been hopelessly incompetent the whole round. Several casualties have piled up, there seems to be no end in sight, and the commander and the mutineers ask for you to assist their side.
    What role will you take on this conflict and how will you u act?
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many replies for an app that�s been up for 10 days but it�s respectable since it�s a very... middle of the line app.

Okay so with just the app not including the story (need to read it but 9 pages is quite a long one) I�ll say a few things I personally dislike and what I am not a fan of.

Personally
    1. I am not a fan of rather odd naming schemes that are difficult to spell or say easily, but that is just my own opinion. In a text based game I feel ease of rememberance and typing is something needed for a role like synth. (Don�t take this one seriously as I�m sure it�s just my own view but I�d prefer just the name Zach)
    2. I haven�t really seen you around on the ship so I can�t judge you for your roleplay abilities. Essentially I mean by this as �I don�t recognize you from the discord or game.� May be due to time zones though.

Overall
    The app is pretty generic with the quirk not being something I would approve of as really a quirk but that you just enjoy roleplay. I understand �wanting to make intelligence/deep conversation� is what most people like in roleplay since it�s usually more in-depth than people doing dumb things to seem funny or silly.
    By this I would say you should try to either explain what you meant by your quirk/personality as Jakkk has asked or reapply with another idea for your synth�s personality.

Your familiarity with support roles seems as though you get the idea of synth while your reason to be whitelists is somewhat... odd but it�s what essentially is why most people go for synth. So that�s fine.

The story is... very odd and mostly includes a large lack of conversation until the end. What I personally want in a story is a few examples of how you plan to roleplay your synth. Though the only back and forth is at the end and it�s a tad bit confusing with your synth over analyzing things. Which I suppose may be your quirk? But it just feels odd to me.

I�m going to give this a -1 personally because it feels like you don�t have a quirk/personality to your synth that would work in a round and with overanalyzing things it�s the opposite problem of a �quiet� synth quirk. You�ll be talkative, but you won�t get anything done.

I want to ask 2 questions

What exactly is your synth�s personality and how do you plan for them to interact with marines on a given round?

What do you do if you are ordered to the FoB to build it, but when you go down you have marines down there trying to talk to you constantly?
    Last edited by Aceluke; 04-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    Characters
    Alex Rossfield - Marine Roles
    Luke Diamond - Captain
    Lukas - Synthetic
    Alex Rossfield
    CM History
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be honest, i'm not going to read nine pages for a synth app. I couldn't even get past the first page, as I lost my interest. I'm going to agree with Aceluke, about the quirk being hard to roleplay out in a round. As of this moment, i'm going to go with a -1. As others have said, synths are required to do a lot, in a short time, with getting only some opportunities to do roleplay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkkk View Post
    Could you go into more depth on your synthetic's personality?
    So in an essence, he would be deep, not overly descriptive, that is just how he processes it, not how he would speak it. Like it says in the application the best RP, in my opinion, is RP that creates a connection with you and the other person, anyone can RP as an MP arresting someone or an MT fixing things, but Zachariah would look and express the deeper meaning behind these things rather than chalk it up to its plain self. I see this happening a lot on the server and it is a slippery slope to LRP is how I view it personally.

If I were busy doing something that is an emergency or takes precedence I would not sit their chitchatting like a high school girl talking gossip; since constructing defenses and setting a solid foothold in and around the LZ or designated area is of prime importance. If I was being bothered by a Marine, the mission comes first, plain and simple. I would inform him I'm very busy, but still do my best to type in between the set-up times or make very little small talk until the job is complete, and after the FOB is complete, if I have time, I might strike up a little talk; hopefully the talk will stick with him.

Again, hopefully in no uncertain terms, I want my synth to have a genuine conversation with the other characters on the server, I want to learn about these people and memorize how they act or how to better strike up a conversation with them. I want him to bond with them; most synths are kicked around sometimes and I want to prevent that by connecting with them.

I have been getting new to MP lately as I didn't want to play it previously( AT ALL ), it's just not the type of thing I like, and when I did try it out, I figured out fast it isn't what I want to play or RP as. For the Mutiny Situation, if I am a synthetic I wouldn't care for picking either side instead treating the wounded personnel would be my prime focus, and working through those casualties; I also wouldn't put my self in a spot to be attacked, really trying to save USCM lives, but not at the cost of my own welfare. Around Mutinies, there are typically law breaches on most sides, and as such is would fall to whom has broken the most, but I wouldn't actively create bias around who was being medically treated and I wouldn't work against or for any one side. Basically, I would do my best to stay out of harm's way and treat the wounded personnel. I may perhaps attempt to diffuse the situation, trying to reason with both sides that the mission at hand is declining rather quickly and as such could lead to us all dying if we don't stop the inward fighting, but it would be a shot to the stars.