User Tag List

Thread: Fourkhan - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fourkhan - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Fourkhan

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    C (Most experience), x86(64 and 32-bit ISA), Java, Python, Bash

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    No

Proof of any previous or current work:
    I'll post some samples here but there's also some I'm not comfortable showing.
    Pastebin of what I (currently) think is my best small-scale project (lightweight malloc clone)
    https://pastebin.com/NjjBy98j

How well do you know Git?
    Lower-end of mediocre. I'm looking to get more experience with large-project version management in connection with my University coursework.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Programming isn't my primary area of expertise (I'm mostly a Widows sysadmin) however I would really like to work on large-scale project management and I also love this server so I would love an opportunity to contribute to it. I don't have as much time to play games as I used to so I haven't clocked as much time ingame as I would like ahead of this app, but I hope that isn't a (massive) barrier as I do grasp the core gameplay fairly well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think are the biggest issues with balance?

Are you more interested in features, bugfixing, backend or refactors?
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think are the biggest issues with balance?
    A couple things:

Crushers are too tanky to the point of being practically unkillable unless the crusher is totally bald and lets the marines bodyblock them

So many of the 'strains' for Xenos are legitimately useless and no player in their right mind would take them if their goal is to be competitive.
    A few examples are "Boxer", "Royal Protector", and "Railgun" for Warrior, Praetorian, and Boiler respectively. While I recognize that the intent of adding the strains into the game may not have been to create viable alternatives to the stock gameplay of each caste, in their current state they're virtually never taken (in my experience) as they degrade the player's combat effectiveness. These need buffs.

Neurospam needs to be fixed

Shotguns oneshot potential is too high

If a Marine team is willing to just turtle in an FOB they're virtually impossible to dig out, see: every big red round longer than an hour

The game needs more viable ways to push through Z-Levels. The biggest offender of this is Ice and the specific case I'm talking about is when Muhreens push the Xenos off the upper level and back into the tunnels, but can never go down the elevator or ladders because they will get instagibbed. Xenos can now delay and get Ancient at their leisure resulting in an almost certain defeat for the Marines.

Are you more interested in features, bugfixing, backend or refactors?
    Backend backend backend as that's where my experience lies. However I also want to get out of my comfort zone and work on bugfixes and refactors/tweaking; I have almost no interest in adding new features as I think there's a ton of unrealized potential in the features already built.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have been send the coder test. If you manage to complete it before coming Friday I expect that we can discuss your app before the next dev meeting.
    Do take note that if you have questions you can ask them and that it is not problem to take longer just keep us in the loop.

Head Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon some internal discussion, the Team has found your test responses satisfactory. As such i have elected to accept this application.

Please PM me on Discord with a link to your Gitlab profile and an email address you don't mind sharing with the Team at large.